Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live Licks
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 14:01

How Angus and Malcolm would have been proud !

Chris Fountain
tomcasagranda
I'm always perturbed about Live Licks; why did they edit Rocks Off, badly ? Secondly, why wasn't Rock Me Baby with Angus & Malcolm Young not on it ? Better that than Dave Matthews on Memory Motel from No Security.

The absolute truth.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 15, 2019 18:51

Good lord. I streamed "Live Licks" this weekend, after years of disregarding it (never having bought it) and it seems my initial instinct was right, for my taste anyway. That edit on "Rocks Off" is pure garbage, and the rarities on Disc 2, which by all accounts should have made this album indispensable, often sound uninspired. I saw all three Chicago shows on the Licks tour, and whether it was the Comiskey Park show, the UC or the almighty Aragon Ballroom, those shows were great and full of spirit. This collection does not do that spirit justice. Getting back to "Rocks Off", honestly what is gained by editing such a small section like that? Wow. In my opinion, this is easily the worst live release in their discography. This adds to a relative rough patch around that time, with the release of "Rarities" and the ridiculous historical inaccuracies in the liner notes...not to mention the airbrushed cover. There are plenty of shots they could have used that reflect the band as a foursome, no need to pick a fivesome shot and change it.

Short of these two releases, the rest of the Stones original body of work (i.e. minus compilations) is truly indispensable...to me anyway.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 16, 2019 02:46

I had a long drive today, so I listened to Live Licks during the commute.

I don't think I've ever listened to the first disc more than once. There's enough warhorses in the live concert videos I like to watch that I'm not that eager to hear them too often on live albums.

Brown Sugar was a surprisingly good opener and was nice and short compared to the times it's used as a closer and seems to go on and on. But there was nothing really special about the performance. Same with Satisfaction. (The Steel Wheels tour version is still the most interesting live version of Satisfaction for me.)

The rest of disc one is good, even if there's nothing really amazing and feels too short. Start Me Up sounded good coming in almost midway through instead of being an opener. Street Fighting Man was solidly enjoyable. Mick sang especially well on Angie, and Gimmie Shelter overcomes a bit of a slow start to end up cooking nicely near the end. Sheryl Crow was good on one verse of Honky Tonk Women.

Disc Two is where Live Licks really shines, as it's a dream set of rarities. I'd go nuts if I saw a setlist like this. I don't hear much that's not to like. Neighbors is one of my favorites, and it rocks out. Monkey Man is one of the great Rolling Stones songs of all time, so it's awesome to hear. I enjoy the arrangement and production of Rocks Off when the vocal effects kick in, and there's a nice version of Beast Of Burden here too. It feels fully lived in and confident.

I think there's a better live version of That's How Strong My Love out there somewhere. The encores on this one seem a little forced compared to the one I might be thinking of.

Mick is in good voice for Worried About You, which swings nicely. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is a good closer and you can hear that they enjoy playing it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 17, 2019 03:13

My main beef with disk 2 is the omissions of "Can't Turn You Loose" and " Love Train" (yes, I know they're on FF DVD).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-17 03:13 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 17, 2019 03:44

Glam Descendant
My main beef with disk 2 is the omissions of "Can't Turn You Loose" and " Love Train" (yes, I know they're on FF DVD).

Oh man, those would have been GREAT to have on there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:49

floodonthepage
Good lord. I streamed "Live Licks" this weekend, after years of disregarding it (never having bought it) and it seems my initial instinct was right, for my taste anyway. That edit on "Rocks Off" is pure garbage, and the rarities on Disc 2, which by all accounts should have made this album indispensable, often sound uninspired. I saw all three Chicago shows on the Licks tour, and whether it was the Comiskey Park show, the UC or the almighty Aragon Ballroom, those shows were great and full of spirit. This collection does not do that spirit justice. Getting back to "Rocks Off", honestly what is gained by editing such a small section like that? Wow. In my opinion, this is easily the worst live release in their discography. This adds to a relative rough patch around that time, with the release of "Rarities" and the ridiculous historical inaccuracies in the liner notes...not to mention the airbrushed cover. There are plenty of shots they could have used that reflect the band as a foursome, no need to pick a fivesome shot and change it.

Short of these two releases, the rest of the Stones original body of work (i.e. minus compilations) is truly indispensable...to me anyway.

I was happy to get LIVE LICKS due to the majority of songs on disc 2 but after listening to disc 2 with the horrendous edit of Rocks Off and the pedestrian Neighbours with the awful guitar overdub, the album turned into a bloated EP - the only tracks I listen to from it to this day are Brown Sugar, Paint It Black, Street Fighting Man, Monkey Man, The Nearness Of You and You Don't Have To Mean It.

Gimme Shelter is a snore compared to the version on NO SECURITY. Honky Tonk Women is pointless. YCAGWYW is nice but I really have no interest in listening to that song ever again, really.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 399
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home