Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Live Licks revisited
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 9, 2019 14:21

I wouldn't have a problem with that...but many modern "bootlegs" on vinyl are mastered from a CD or a CD quality file, so little point in having them if its better sound you're looking for.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 9, 2019 14:39

Spud
TKinOH
Disc 2 is right up there in essential live Stones releases, I think...

Here's to hoping the live cuts on the upcoming HONK will be as good in quality, although I can definitely do without Florence... Oh well!

thumbs up Yep, disc 2 is great.

[It just annoys me that it's never been out on vinyl ....and also that the live Honk stuff won't be either .

I know there's unofficial Live Licks vinyl out there...but the quality is probably not great ]

The live honk material will be available on vinyl as part of the deluxe vinyl set.

Date: April 9, 2019 14:53

Thanks for pointing me to that .

Annoying though that this four disc package costs nearly twice as much as the standard three disc set.

If only the world were a nicer place, with artists and their record companies caring as much for the fans as for their bank balance.

The new live material would then have been made available separately. grinning smiley

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 9, 2019 15:02

Spud

Annoying though that this four disc package costs nearly twice as much as the standard three disc set.

If only the world were a nicer place, with artists and their record companies caring as much for the fans as for their bank balance.

The new live material would then have been made available separately. grinning smiley

I agree. They should put the live vinyl album out for record store day instead of just the single.

And for that matter, they should put Live Licks, the extras on Exile and Some Girls, and Leeds Lungs etc. out on vinyl for Record Store Days over the years.

Date: April 9, 2019 15:21

ChrisL
... And for that matter, they should put Live Licks, the extras on Exile and Some Girls, and Leeds Lungs etc. out on vinyl for Record Store Days over the years.

thumbs up thumbs up

You & I are quite obviously on the same vinyl loving page.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 9, 2019 17:27

I never bought "Live Licks" either. In fact, since becoming a fan in '89, it was the first thing I didn't buy, followed by the "Shine a Light" soundtrack. "Live Licks" because of the edits and "Shine a Light" because I had the film, but of course that didn't stop me later on from buying the "Some Girls: Live in Texas" CDs! Though I did pass on the "Ladies and Gentlemen..." CDs, but I digress.

Anyway, this thread makes me more curious to listen to "Live Licks". With "Four Flicks" reportedly being re-released in some form (followed apparently by a re-release of the "Biggest Bang" DVD set), I wonder if "Live Licks" will be revisited.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 9, 2019 17:33

Live Licks was the first -and only- new Stones album that I didnt buy. I already had Four Flicks so I didnt see the point, as the recordings are the same as on the DVD.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: April 9, 2019 17:55

I still wish they would release this on vinyl along with their other live albums i think the licks tour was really great and great setlist variety

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: April 9, 2019 18:06

The music sounds a lot better on the uncensored topless version!

Date: April 9, 2019 18:08

I didn't buy it. Some where there after ABB I gave up. The tours and live albums kept coming. But I agree: if I pretend that "Rocks Off" doesn't happen on Disc 2, then Disc 2 is really good. I mean "Thats how strong.." alone akes it worth the price.

Date: April 9, 2019 18:11

Palace Revolution 2000
..."Thats how strong.." alone makes it worth the price.

thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 9, 2019 18:57

Spud

Hey careful they might hear us and we a re not supposed to say that .

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 10, 2019 00:06

SomeGuy
Live Licks was the first -and only- new Stones album that I didnt buy. I already had Four Flicks so I didnt see the point, as the recordings are the same as on the DVD.

Pretty sure there are recordings on CD that are *not* the same as on DVD.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 10, 2019 01:17

Glam Descendant
SomeGuy

Start me up! and Gimme Shelter are from N.Y. which were edited out from the dvd
CYHMK is from L.A.
Everybody needs somebody to love is partly from Paris and also from L.A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-10 01:24 by GJV.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live Licks
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 10, 2019 02:55

I checked the song dates at the time and was pretty sure they were the same as on the DVD except Everybody Needs, but hey its wikipedia.
Nevertheless, 1) all the songs featured on Live Licks are featured on Four Flicks and b ) the recording dates mentioned for Live Licks are the exact same dates as those mentioned for Four Flicks.
Ergo, I deemed Live Licks superfluous, but maybe I should play the record some day. But buying a live album that has only 3 or 4 recordings (of the very same songs mind you) on it that werent already released a year before, nah.

Date: April 10, 2019 03:10

GJV
Glam Descendant
SomeGuy

CYHMK is from L.A.

Date: April 10, 2019 03:12

GJV
Glam Descendant
SomeGuy

CYHMK is from L.A.

Thanks for that. What about "Rock Me Baby"? I used to know this but it is 15 years old (yikes!).

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 10, 2019 03:13

Get it for the second disc. Great selection of songs and a nice flow (even with the obvious edits).

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 10, 2019 03:46

Glam Descendant
GJV
Glam Descendant
SomeGuy

CYHMK is from L.A.

Thanks for that. What about "Rock Me Baby"? I used to know this but it is 15 years old (yikes!).
Rock me baby and also Thief in the night and Beast of burden are on Four Flicks as bonus outtakes and taken from the same Wiltern Theater L.A. clubshow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-10 03:52 by GJV.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 10, 2019 20:19

This thread made me think. I was sure I bought it but it wasn't with my other Stones CDs. I eventually found it in a box in the garage, it had a 2.99 sticker so I obviously didn't buy it straight out. I'm not even sure I played it.

I gave disc 1 a play today and wasn't overly impressed. Judging by the comments disc 2 will be better

Date: April 11, 2019 03:23

live licks is amazing. Rock Me Baby, When The Whip Comes Down, and Beast Of Burden are especially great on it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2019 04:33

HMS
The studio-version of Rocks Off has a special sound that probably cannot be reproduced on stage. Even if they play correct, it will never sound as good as the original. Most of all, Mick cannot reproduce that unique sound of his voice (dont know what they have done in the studio to achieve that special sound).

I don't know how I missed this blatantly obvious ignorant post, mainly the part about Mick's voice. Wow. Just stunningly ignorant.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2019 16:07

Here's what's missing ..... the sunshine bores the daylights out of me..

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 13, 2019 06:58

I have to agree with Elmo and GLS. The album is a bit too harsh sounding to me. And as Stones purist never combine classic songs such as If you Can't Rock me or GOOMC with other songs. These should be stand alone songs.

Where Matchpoint ruins start me up but exemplifies the greatness of Can't be Seen, this collection is too soft if not weird.

LYL goes to the other extreme GYYO and Still Life are the right balance of the true live experience

Date: April 13, 2019 08:03

Possibly the biggest problem with this live album is it doesn't attain what the tour did - diversity at its finest. Sure, there are some tunes that have never been on a live album before, like the excellent performance of Monkey Man, the excellent You Don't Have To Mean It, the disinterested Neighbours, the lumpy and garage band messy CYHMK, the brilliant The Nearness Of You, the kinda decent When The Whip Comes Down, the pretty good Beast Of Burden, and dare I say it, the almost outstanding Worried About You.

Perhaps if they had properly edited it down to a single album and kept the more performance relevant hits like Street Fighting Man, which is bland in comparison to the MSG PPV but still pretty good, Brown Sugar (properly edited) and whatever, it would've been better received - and a better listen.

LIVE LICKS
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Beast Of Burden
Monkey Man
You Don't Have To Mean It
The Nearness Of You
Worried About You
When The Whip Comes Down
Paint It Black
Street Fighting Man

Date: April 13, 2019 08:38

GasLightStreet
Possibly the biggest problem with this live album is it doesn't attain what the tour did - diversity at its finest. Sure, there are some tunes that have never been on a live album before, like the excellent performance of Monkey Man, the excellent You Don't Have To Mean It, the disinterested Neighbours, the lumpy and garage band messy CYHMK, the brilliant The Nearness Of You, the kinda decent When The Whip Comes Down, the pretty good Beast Of Burden, and dare I say it, the almost outstanding Worried About You.

Perhaps if they had properly edited it down to a single album and kept the more performance relevant hits like Street Fighting Man, which is bland in comparison to the MSG PPV but still pretty good, Brown Sugar (properly edited) and whatever, it would've been better received - and a better listen.

LIVE LICKS

What is frustrating is at the time HBO broadcasted the Stones live on a Saturday nite, for the first time (HBO -wise) - it was the Friday night concert that was more magical. I saw it on Some tape -can't remember but they were sharper the night before.

Again don't connect If you can't rock me to some other song -especially GOOMC - not favorable - really annoying.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 13, 2019 12:14

I'm always perturbed about Live Licks; why did they edit Rocks Off, badly ? Secondly, why wasn't Rock Me Baby with Angus & Malcolm Young not on it ? Better that than Dave Matthews on Memory Motel from No Security.

Date: April 13, 2019 13:42

tomcasagranda
I'm always perturbed about Live Licks; why did they edit Rocks Off, badly ? Secondly, why wasn't Rock Me Baby with Angus & Malcolm Young not on it ? Better that than Dave Matthews on Memory Motel from No Security.

The absolute truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-13 13:56 by Chris Fountain.

Date: April 14, 2019 08:08

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet

LIVE LICKS

What is frustrating is at the time HBO broadcasted the Stones live on a Saturday nite, for the first time (HBO -wise) - it was the Friday night concert that was more magical. I saw it on Some tape -can't remember but they were sharper the night before.

Again don't connect If you can't rock me to some other song -especially GOOMC - not favorable - really annoying.

They only did that on LOVE YOU LIVE.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2019 03:27

Disappointing

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home