Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live Licks
Date: May 26, 2016 14:20

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
Of all the live albums, Brown Sugar sounds best on LIVE LICKS, even though the front is severely edited down (yet the drawn out long ending is not).

They could've left off Rock Me Baby or one of the other covers and not hacked some of the songs down so much, a brilliant case of less would be more.

Although I don't think not having the hack edit in Rocks Off would've saved the song. They just can not play that one live worth a damn ever. Which is a shame because it's such a killer tune.

And yet... they played Monkey man fantastically.

Whole lotta head shakin' goin' on with them sometimes.

The studio version of Rocks Off just came on my playlist and stated me doing some head shakin' over why Keith often seems to struggle with the intro to that one live. As a guitarist, I know it's pretty simple. I love Keith but he does puzzle me at times....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

When did he struggle with it?

I've only heard him play the I-IV-riff with his ring finger placed on the g-string instead of the d-string a couple of times (like he does on the Happy-intro), and thought that was kinda cool smiling smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 26, 2016 15:18

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
Of all the live albums, Brown Sugar sounds best on LIVE LICKS, even though the front is severely edited down (yet the drawn out long ending is not).

They could've left off Rock Me Baby or one of the other covers and not hacked some of the songs down so much, a brilliant case of less would be more.

Although I don't think not having the hack edit in Rocks Off would've saved the song. They just can not play that one live worth a damn ever. Which is a shame because it's such a killer tune.

The studio version of Rocks Off just came on my playlist and stated me doing some head shakin' over why Keith often seems to struggle with the intro to that one live. As a guitarist, I know it's pretty simple. I love Keith but he does puzzle me at times....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I've only heard him play the I-IV-riff with his ring finger placed on the g-string instead of the d-string a couple of times (like he does on the Happy-intro), and thought that was kinda cool smiling smiley

I'd have to search but I've seen some videos on youtube from recent years where he botched the intro pretty badly. I'm guessing maybe it's the arthritis issue? Sounded like he was trying but dead strings and wrong notes were the result.

Date: May 26, 2016 15:21

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

I'd have to search but I've seen some videos on youtube from recent years where he botched the intro pretty badly. I'm guessing maybe it's the arthritis issue? Sounded like he was trying but dead strings and wrong notes were the result.

Not impossible, of course grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2016 15:28

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

Yeah...and by the way I love when he does this...it's just a cool sound; not sure what the "name" of the chord would be...it's like a suspended 9th or something... "....heard him play the I-IV-riff with his ring finger placed on the g-string instead of the d-string a couple of times..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 15:28 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 26, 2016 15:35

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

Yeah...and by the way I love when he does this...it's just a cool sound; not sure what the "name" of the chord would be...it's like a suspended 9th or something... "....heard him play the I-IV-riff with his ring finger placed on the g-string instead of the d-string a couple of times..."

In fact he does that on the studio version of Brown Sugar as well (not the opening chords, but on the D#/C-combination).

Unfortenately, he never did it again smiling smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 26, 2016 22:20

Slightly OT but where was this version of Rocks Off recorded?
[www.youtube.com]
I think it sounds excellent! Better than the album version smiling smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 27, 2016 19:41

Bump as I would like to know what show this version of rocks off is from

Date: May 27, 2016 20:32

Paddy
[www.youtube.com]

Damn that is a good version! Can't tell where it's from though...

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 27, 2016 21:09

HonkeyTonkFlash
Paddy
[www.youtube.com]

Damn that is a good version! Can't tell where it's from though...

I really like this one too. But they should tune the horns! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: May 27, 2016 21:13

I think the recent versions of Rocks Off aren't that strong, because Keith plays those Chuck Berry licks, so there's no real rhythm guitar. Maybe it would sound fuller if he played it in open g and just rhythm. And the other thing missing in the recent versions is the right piano playing, I think. But still there are some great versions of this song

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 27, 2016 21:24

Love this version of Monkey Man!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 28, 2016 03:54

Licks was the last really great and magnificent tour....Live Licks was more disappointing than Dirty Work....

Date: June 3, 2016 03:42

Rip This
Licks was the last really great and magnificent tour....Live Licks was more disappointing than Dirty Work....

Nah - Live Licks is not as entertaining as Four Flicks but it's a good live album if you can excuse the fact that most of disc one is redundant; the performances are good. That's my fave version of SFM ever! Disc Two is a treasure chest!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:13

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

After the very opening lick it does that low vamp thing... that one took me a while to get but it's one of those old blues descending licks. Standard tuning, of course, as Keith did it and continues to.

There have been some botched intros I've heard but overall, regardless of that, this tune just never seems to lift off and hover like the LP version does. And Mick... good grief, sounds like he's ordering a cheeseburger the way he sings it.

Look at this one... he changed the lick!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:26

The studio-version of Rocks Off has a special sound that probably cannot be reproduced on stage. Even if they play correct, it will never sound as good as the original. Most of all, Mick cannot reproduce that unique sound of his voice (dont know what they have done in the studio to achieve that special sound).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:17

HMS
The studio-version of Rocks Off has a special sound that probably cannot be reproduced on stage. Even if they play correct, it will never sound as good as the original. Most of all, Mick cannot reproduce that unique sound of his voice (dont know what they have done in the studio to achieve that special sound).

I agree. One of a handful of songs of theirs that will never hold a candle to the studio version. (others that pop to mind include moonlight mile, emotional rescue, and in another land (especially now bill is gone))

Date: June 5, 2016 23:36

Turner68
HMS

I agree. One of a handful of songs of theirs that will never hold a candle to the studio version. (others that pop to mind include moonlight mile, emotional rescue, and in another land (especially now bill is gone))

Being a live-music junkie (especially Stones), I often prefer live versions, even if they're a bit sloppier than the studio cuts. Sometimes there's a certain vibe and energy that's hard to create in a studio. You guys have mentioned some glaring exceptions, to which I would add..the studio version of Gimme Shelter is untouchable! Live versions often feel flat to me.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 10:53

The first stones live I bought where I felt let down and disappointed rather than exhilarated.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 6, 2016 11:53

I like this album. I saw several shows on this tour & I haven't seen them top that tour since.

Date: June 6, 2016 13:47

I think many who had listened to Four Flicks for some time, and then purchaes this live album felt it somewhat as a letdown.

The main reason for me had to do with the Four Flicks songs. They simply didn't sound as good as on the DVD. They sounded drier, and some of the energy was gone (listen to the brilliant Monkey Man, for instance).

Then we have the Rocks Off edit and the two open G guitars on CYHMK...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 6, 2016 14:25

DandelionPowderman
They simply didn't sound as good as on the DVD.

Funny, I always felt it was the other way round. I burned CD´s of the Four-Flicks-DVD using a stand-alone-CD-recorder with optical input. Played it on my stereo and felt it was kind of muddy, too bass-heavy. The sound of Live Licks then was more crispy to my ears. May depend on what kind of sound you prefer (or simply on what kind of ears you have).

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 6, 2016 14:46

HMS
DandelionPowderman
They simply didn't sound as good as on the DVD.

Funny, I always felt it was the other way round. I burned CD´s of the Four-Flicks-DVD using a stand-alone-CD-recorder with optical input. Played it on my stereo and felt it was kind of muddy, too bass-heavy. The sound of Live Licks then was more crispy to my ears. May depend on what kind of sound you prefer (or simply on what kind of ears you have).

Don't forget what happens to your sensory perception when you're only listening to music,
or you're listing and watching together. Try listening to the Four Flicks shows without
watching them as well, to make an honest comparison of the sound to the CD.

That said, those DVD's always bring me to heaven. The CD's don't.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 6, 2016 15:05

DVDs also have a higher bitrate in sound. CDs are more compressed.

If we had Live Licks on vinyl (it was never released in that format), we could have done a more realistic comparison.

Date: June 6, 2016 17:40

DandelionPowderman
I think many who had listened to Four Flicks for some time, and then purchaes this live album felt it somewhat as a letdown.

The main reason for me had to do with the Four Flicks songs. They simply didn't sound as good as on the DVD. They sounded drier, and some of the energy was gone (listen to the brilliant Monkey Man, for instance).

I don't hear 2 open G guitars on CYHMK, only one.

Date: June 6, 2016 17:47

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

The left one is open G as well, during the verses only. And it was not played by Keith.

Date: June 6, 2016 18:00

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

The left one is open G as well, during the verses only. And it was not played by Keith.

That's Ronnie - in standard. There is only one guitar in open G on that and it's Keith, in the right channel! I don't get where you're hearing open G in the left because there are only Keith and Ronnie on it and Ronnie's in the left!

Live Licks revisited
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: April 9, 2019 03:39

I have heard a couple songs from this over the years, but never listened to the whole thing until I streamed it last night. I guess I was scared off by the horrible Rocks Off edits! And generally I prefer bootlegs (YouTube) to their actual albums. So last night I called it up on Amazon Unlimited, gave it a good listen, and it surprised me - I think it’s actually a good album. Mixed excellent in my opinion. Taken away from the video of Four Flicks, the stand alone audio, in its own context, really comes alive. I know it’s been dubbed, mixed and polished - that’s the point! There is no shortage of bootlegs to hear raw unedited performances.

Re: Live Licks revisited
Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: April 9, 2019 04:50

Disc 2 is right up there in essential live Stones releases, I think...

Here's to hoping the live cuts on the upcoming HONK will be as good in quality, although I can definitely do without Florence... Oh well!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 9, 2019 09:43

TKinOH
Disc 2 is right up there in essential live Stones releases, I think...

Here's to hoping the live cuts on the upcoming HONK will be as good in quality, although I can definitely do without Florence... Oh well!

thumbs up Yep, disc 2 is great.

[It just annoys me that it's never been out on vinyl ....and also that the live Honk stuff won't be either .

I know there's unofficial Live Licks vinyl out there...but the quality is probably not great ]

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 9, 2019 14:15

I have a bootleg vinyl of LL and when you are playing it there's everytime between two tracks a silent gap of a few seconds, which is annoying when you're listening.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home