Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live Licks
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 31, 2016 08:20

First disc is OK but nothing particular stands out. As a standard Stones live album No Security is better. Second disc is great though. I remember playing it a lot when it got out because of all the "rare" tracks.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:32

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman
The open G guitar in the left channel on CYHMK is a mystery, though. Who played it? Certainly not Keith or Ronnie..

How come you're certain it's not Ronnie?
The version on Live Licks is a different one than on Four Flicks isn't it?
Los Angeles, not MSG.

Two reasons: He never played it in open G and it doesn't sound remotely like his rhythm playing. Actually three reasons: On the Wiltern bootleg-version I heard years ago, Ronnie played in standard tuning smiling smiley

It's Ronnie.

Date: April 13, 2016 20:00

It seemed so promising at the time, especially with FOUR FLICKS being so good. I was hoping the excellent rocking MSG PPV show version of Street Fighting Man would be on it... no, they used the somewhat botched one from Twickenham (and Keith's wonk note from the PPV is mysteriously fixed on FOUR FLICKS right before the first chorus of Street Fighting Man). Instead we get really bad artwork and hacked up songs. The mix is good though.

Brown Sugar - Bizarre, really: it sounds incredible. A bit hacked up to shorten it though, although with the retirement home ending it's been getting the past 20 years that's a good thing

Street Fighting Man - It's decent enough...

Paint It Black - For some reason I thought this would be bland considering it's on FLASHPOINT but this one is better.

You Can't Always Get What You Want - It's pretty good but... it's on FLASHPOINT as well. This one is a bit bluesier though. Maybe. Ronnie really likes to strangle his guitar. Why does he play high notes like a trumpet player running out of air? Playing a guitar doesn't involve running out of air. So why does it sound like Ronnie runs out of air on a lot of his strangling solos? Hilarious edit at 5:55.

Start Me Up - Awful

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll - Really?

Angie - No wonder they had to edit some things - because they put crap like, SMU, IORR and Angie on...

Honky Tonk Women - Horrible. Just bad.

Happy - It's Keith. This is good. It's not great. But it's not bad.

Gimme Shelter - No where near as good as the version on NO SECURITY.

Satisfaction - Yawn...

Neighbors - It's cool that they put it on here but they didn't play it very well. Bad overdub too.

Monkey Man - I bought LIVE LICKS for this song. Awesome.

Rocks Off - Hacked Off is more like it. Terrible anyway. They've never played this track well live.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Eh, a bit weak but it's cool that they did it.

That's How Strong My Love Is - Whatever

The Nearness Of You - Once I heard this... wow. Awesome.

Beast Of Burden - Decent

When The Whip Comes Down - Yawn

Rock Me, Baby - Yawwwwwwnnnn

You Don't Have to Mean It - Add this one with NS' Thief In The Night and The Nearness Of You and it's a nice little play list.

Worried About You - So... it's cool. How long? That and CYHMK get regular playing on this tour. Bizarre. Great tune. Too bad they didn't do it live worth a damn ever before (barring the Mocambo version as the only earlier one I can think of).

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love - Yeah, OK, whatever.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:31

I'm revisiting it right now and digging CYHMK....good stuff. Just heard Neighbours and realized how much I miss Bill Wyman. It sounds lackluster here compared to 1981 versions. Still a good live album on most counts for me.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:49

CD 2 is in some parts interesting, but contains an onslaught on any kind of good taste: the edited version of Rocks Off, what a shame. The man who did that is definitely totally deaf. In general to say it with few words: I like 30 minutes of Charlie is My Darling more than 2 hours Live Licks.

Date: May 7, 2016 17:35

TheBlockbuster
Cons:

The concept with one Greatest Hits cd and one deep cuts cd is annoying and useless.

It's the same recordings we already heard on Four Flicks.

Pros:

It's better mixed than Four Flicks.

But essentially this is just a lame incomplete soundtrack cd for Four Flicks with edits on some songs.

I really like this but it might have been more enjoyable if the hits and the deeper cuts were interspersed over the two discs rather than separated!

Live Licks as a single disc
Date: May 13, 2016 23:54

OK, too much free time here, but I seriously believe that a pared down LL could rival Ya Yas. Gotta have a few hits but the deep cuts make it stellar!

Side One
It's Only Rock And Roll
When The Whip Comes Down
Beast of Burden
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Worried About You

Side Two
Monkey Man
Neighbours
That's How Strong My Love Is
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man

Re: Live Licks as a single disc
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 14, 2016 00:07

What was on the Crystal Head Vodka CD? smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2016 00:18

Title5Take1
What was on the Crystal Head Vodka CD? smiling smiley

I dunno - enlighten me!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 14, 2016 01:46

Lol just get rid of disc one. There. A great live single disc!

Date: May 20, 2016 01:36

Everybody seems to agree that it's a waste to have the big hits and deeper cuts totally separated, so I re-sequenced Live Licks to be better paced to my ears....

BROWN SUGAR
ROCKS OFF
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
BEAST OF BURDEN
ANGIE
HAPPY
HONKY TONK WOMEN
MONKEY MAN
CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING
ROCK ME BABY
PAINT IT BLACK
GIMME SHELTER
EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE
THAT'S HOW STRONG MY LOVE IS
WORRIED ABOUT YOU
NEIGHBOURS
START ME UP
YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
STREET FIGHTING MAN
SATISFACTION....
There - I find this a nicely paced listen and I've created a new favorite live album. 3 Keith songs was too much though...too bad I can't fix that edit in Rocks Off though cuz I like the song!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 01:47 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 20, 2016 20:35

HonkeyTonkFlash
Everybody seems to agree that it's a waste to have the big hits and deeper cuts totally separated, so I re-sequenced Live Licks to be better paced to my ears....

BROWN SUGAR
ROCKS OFF
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
BEAST OF BURDEN
ANGIE
HAPPY
HONKY TONK WOMEN
MONKEY MAN
ROCK ME BABY
WORRIED ABOUT YOU
NEIGHBOURS
START ME UP
STREET FIGHTING MAN
SATISFACTION....
There - I find this a nicely paced listen and I've created a new favorite live album. 3 Keith songs was too much though...too bad I can't fix that edit in Rocks Off though cuz I like the song!

Ever since I re-sequenced this album, I can't stop listening to it! It's my new favorite! Bump....Edited to drop 3 more songs and improve the flow...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 21:59 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 21, 2016 04:33

HonkeyTonkFlash
HonkeyTonkFlash

SIDE ONE
BROWN SUGAR
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
ANGIE

SIDE TWO
HONKY TONK WOMEN
MONKEY MAN
START ME UP
SATISFACTION
STREET FIGHTING MAN....
There - I find this a nicely paced listen and I've created a new favorite live album. 3 Keith songs was too much though...

Ever since I re-sequenced this album, I can't stop listening to it! It's my new favorite! Bump....Edited to drop 3 more songs and improve the flow...

Too much free time, edited it down to single vinyl length....love the flow...bump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-21 04:35 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 24, 2016 18:02

How it should've been a single album...

Brown Sugar (with no editing in the front of the song, only the ending)
Street Fighting Man (preferably the MSG PPV version)
Neighbours
Monkey Man
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Beast Of Burden
When The Whip Comes Down
The Nearness Of You
You Don't Have To Mean It
Worried About You

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 24, 2016 18:22

Should have been a triple album.
So many stuff to choose from - Licks-tour was probably their best tour ever. Wide range of songs, very good playing and Mick in top-form. They were really cooking.

Date: May 24, 2016 21:02

HMS
Should have been a triple album.
So many stuff to choose from - Licks-tour was probably their best tour ever. Wide range of songs, very good playing and Mick in top-form. They were really cooking.

Yes, could have easily been a triple, given the Stadium, Arena, Club format of the tour...and they were playing very well. Four Flicks also attests to that!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 24, 2016 22:40

That artwork is @#$%& revolting. It's not even IN FOCUS! How can they be so cavalier and careless with the product they put out?? It's really disheartening.

Posted by: CanFan ()
Date: May 24, 2016 22:55

I will never understand the edit in Rocks Off...one of my all time favourite stones lyrics! I agree with GasLightStreet they have always had a hard time with that song. At a Montreal show I saw once
Jagger completely screwed that song up

Date: May 24, 2016 23:15

CanFan
I will never understand the edit in Rocks Off...one of my all time favourite stones lyrics! I agree with GasLightStreet they have always had a hard time with that song. At a Montreal show I saw once

Yeah, especially with today's technology - they could have overdubbed the mistake, etc. But that edit is horrible!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 24, 2016 23:56

Always loved this.
Its better than flashpoint or shine a light or no security in my opinion.

Date: May 25, 2016 00:02

Whale
Always loved this.

Partly agree! The only bit of advantage No Security had was a tracklist free of the usual War-Equestrians...But the performances on LL are very good; SFM is my favorite live version ever, except for maybe Brussels....LL also has a very good, sharp-sounding, hard, bright mix going for it. There's really not a bad song on it...just one bad edit!

Date: May 25, 2016 20:47

CanFan

Isn't that weird? No wonder it took Keith 18 years to get the guitar tracks right on the studio version... it simply can't be done live.

Date: May 25, 2016 20:51

Of all the live albums, Brown Sugar sounds best on LIVE LICKS, even though the front is severely edited down (yet the drawn out long ending is not).

They could've left off Rock Me Baby or one of the other covers and not hacked some of the songs down so much, a brilliant case of less would be more.

Although I don't think not having the hack edit in Rocks Off would've saved the song. They just can not play that one live worth a damn ever. Which is a shame because it's such a killer tune.

And yet... they played Monkey man fantastically.

Whole lotta head shakin' goin' on with them sometimes.

Date: May 25, 2016 20:57

GasLightStreet
Of all the live albums, Brown Sugar sounds best on LIVE LICKS, even though the front is severely edited down (yet the drawn out long ending is not).

They could've left off Rock Me Baby or one of the other covers and not hacked some of the songs down so much, a brilliant case of less would be more.

Although I don't think not having the hack edit in Rocks Off would've saved the song. They just can not play that one live worth a damn ever. Which is a shame because it's such a killer tune.

I dunno, except for that dumb edit, that sounds like a pretty good live version of Rocks Off to my ears. I've heard some much, much worse versions on youtube! Agree that Monkey Man rocks!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 25, 2016 21:49

HonkeyTonkFlash

BROWN SUGAR
ROCKS OFF
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
BEAST OF BURDEN
ANGIE
HAPPY
HONKY TONK WOMEN
MONKEY MAN
ROCK ME BABY
PAINT IT BLACK
GIMME SHELTER
WORRIED ABOUT YOU
NEIGHBOURS
START ME UP
STREET FIGHTING MAN
SATISFACTION....

I like your idea and may do something similar.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 25, 2016 22:49

Elmo Lewis
HonkeyTonkFlash

BROWN SUGAR
ROCKS OFF
IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
BEAST OF BURDEN
ANGIE
HAPPY
HONKY TONK WOMEN
MONKEY MAN
ROCK ME BABY
PAINT IT BLACK
GIMME SHELTER
WORRIED ABOUT YOU
NEIGHBOURS
START ME UP
STREET FIGHTING MAN
SATISFACTION....

I like your idea and may do something similar.

A real challenge would be to pare it down to the same length as Ya Ya's - very hard for me to do!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:49

Whale
Always loved this.

That's like saying a brick wall is more scenic than a prison yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 11:55 by Turner68.

Date: May 26, 2016 11:53

Turner68
Whale
Always loved this.
Its better than flashpoint or shine a light or no security in my opinion.[/quote

That's like saying a brick wall is more scenic than a prison yard.

Nah - FP and NS are both pretty good, imo.

Date: May 26, 2016 12:39

GasLightStreet

The studio version of Rocks Off just came on my playlist and stated me doing some head shakin' over why Keith often seems to struggle with the intro to that one live. As a guitarist, I know it's pretty simple. I love Keith but he does puzzle me at times....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 26, 2016 14:02

I never play it anymore - although I very much like it; my love for it goes out to the second disc.
The edit in "Rocks Off" is way more than just a simple 'let-down'; it's pure blasphemy, imo.
But all in all I think this a gem, and a true 'must-have', for 4 simple reasons:
The. Nearness. Of. You.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home