Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 51
Re: Paradiso thoughts
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 8, 2016 04:43

Swayed1967
I can't understand why they don't play Jump On Top Of Me more often. I'm not saying it's a good song - it's Stones by numbers like you wouldn't believe - but somehow at Paradiso it sounded like a classic.

Is this online somewhere ? I would love to hear a good quality live version of this song!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 8, 2016 06:24

alimente
LeonidP
corriecas
Swayed1967
I can't understand why they don't play Jump On Top Of Me more often. I'm not saying it's a good song - it's Stones by numbers like you wouldn't believe - but somehow at Paradiso it sounded like a classic.

it is not a good song, its a Great song. Love it.
jeroen

It is a great song. B-sides don't get played often simply because the artists don't really even remember them. When I've read stories on Stones rehearsing, the talk is they go through "albums" to remember the songs and learn to play them, it seems unlikely that whoever is spinning the albums also is sitting there with a complete list of b-sides to play.

Jump On Top Of Me is great for us as a novelty b-side but Stones sure aren't thinking about it.

But Jump On Top Of Me was rehearsed in January 1999 at Henry J. Kaiser in Oakland.

Correct, I mean in general. When they compile a list of rehearsal songs in 2016, do you really think any Stone is thinking about Jump On Top Of Me?

Posted by: filoca ()
Date: June 8, 2016 09:37

brixton link doesn't work no more. Is it possible until tomorrow?
thanks!

Re: Totally Stripped
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 10:16

Just received mine. Nice package. Haven't had the chance to play any of it yet, at work, but I see in the book a lot of talk about watching and listening to Wild Horses from Tokyo. It's not listed in the package though that I can see. Is it a part of the documentary, then? Is a LOT of Wild Horses included, if it is, then?

Rod

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 11:07

HomerSimpson
Swayed1967

Is this online somewhere ? I would love to hear a good quality live version of this song!

You can find the Paradiso show on YouTube.

Date: June 8, 2016 11:21

From a soundcheck in 1999, I believe.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 15:49

Finally received my box set yesterday from Amazon. Watched about half of the Paradiso show. As others have said...this is Holy Grail stuff. I cannot get over how great they sound...everyone's playing is at the top of their game.

It makes me sad that they didn't pursue these types of shows more over the past 20 years.

Do any of the '02-'03 club shows approach the magic of these '95 shows?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2016 16:07

keefriff99
Finally received my box set yesterday from Amazon. Watched about half of the Paradiso show. As others have said...this is Holy Grail stuff. I cannot get over how great they sound...everyone's playing is at the top of their game.

It makes me sad that they didn't pursue these types of shows more over the past 20 years.

I would say every club setting with the Stones has been magical!! It's just so intimate. Countless shows including small venue gigs at the start of yours.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 16:23

Circus Krone in Munich 2003 was an amazing experience

John Nicholls

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 8, 2016 16:35

Yes, Circus Krone 2003! Not just saying that because it's only club show I've been to. Well, okay maybe I amwinking smiley But really, would be great to see an official release of this. And all other club shows too. Might as well be greedy.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 8, 2016 16:47

Re: Do any of the '02-'03 club shows approach the magic of these '95 shows?

I only managed to get to the Boston Orpheum Theater (2,700 capacity - I was in the 5th row) in Sept. 2002 - let's just say of the 34 Stones shows I've seen, it still ranks at #1. We got CYHMK, Hand of Fate, and Parachute Woman, among others that night so I'd say - yeah...those shows were just as great, if not better.

Posted by: chipman61 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 18:27

Thanks for posting that the discs will play in the US if you ordered from the UK! Great to hear!

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: June 8, 2016 18:49

DEmerson

I only managed to get to the Boston Orpheum Theater (2,700 capacity - I was in the 5th row) in Sept. 2002 - let's just say of the 34 Stones shows I've seen, it still ranks at #1. We got CYHMK, Hand of Fate, and Parachute Woman, among others that night so I'd say - yeah...those shows were just as great, if not better.

The Orpheum Heart Of Stone was the loudest sing along I ever heard. cool smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 8, 2016 19:17

Well, finally watched the 3rd DVD "Brixton" because to be honest it's hard to watch music, I'd rather hear it. Anyhow, as mentioned by someone else earlier (or more than one person) this was an incredible "stadium" club show. The band seems more into perfection and also noticed nervous looks on faces. Maybe I missed or forgot that in Paradiso? Anyhow, all 3 were special for different reasons I think. Obviously very important to anyone that was there. But I must say hands down Paradiso is the best in my opinion, and I'm not a country music fan. Meaning the extensive acoustic set was great to me, though I'm an Sticky Fingers guy over Exile. Great release guys, hope you're reading this, or management at least. Cheers!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 8, 2016 19:38

Swayed1967
You can find the Paradiso show on YouTube.

Just like on the Totally Stripped DVD? Or is it one of those dreadful "audio with pictures" videos?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 9, 2016 00:28

DEmerson

smileys with beer

Only edit the last three words and "just as".

Yeah... those shows were great,

but not as good as PARADISO 1.

Believe me I was there.

Date: June 9, 2016 00:47

This release was even better than I thought it would be thumbs up

Keith's solo on BOB Olympia - smileys with beer

Date: June 9, 2016 01:36

DEmerson

Yes, the Enmore Theatre Sydney show.... Because I WAS THERE!

Rod

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 9, 2016 02:12

This may have been answered so blast me all you want for not wanting to read thru all 33 pages, but does the documentary cover all that was on the original 1995 (1 hour) TV special? I have that on vhs somewhere but I'd have to dig out my tape and player to compare.

In other words...if I have this deluxe set, can i throw away my old vhs?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 02:16 by shadooby.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 9, 2016 02:19

shadooby
This may have been answered so blast me all you want for not wanting to read thru all 33 pages, but does the documentary cover all that was on the original 1995 (1 hour) TV special? I have that on vhs somewhere but I'd have to dig out my tape and player to compare.

In other words...if I have this deluxe set, can i throw away my old vhs?
No, it's a different documentary.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 9, 2016 02:23

I did notice that some of the footage looked similar to what I remember from my enhanced Stripped cd from 1995, but I don't have a way to play that anymore.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 9, 2016 05:44

DandelionPowderman

*mmm pulled it out and just watched Paris BOB again oh yes see what you mean re: Keith, but now going back to Amsterdam BOB
love when this place permissions me.
It's going to take me awhile w/ Totally Stripped. Set up a new Blu Ray player in the back here and as Amsterdam 'Beast of Burden' plays in front of me, as a BOB connoisseur,
THIS IS THE BEST VERSION I've ever seen. Keith on acoustic, come f'ing on man.

ETA: plus Ronnie's better on this version, Jagger et al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 05:45 by 35love.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: June 9, 2016 05:56

bitusa2012
DEmerson

hey Rod my wife and I were there too, what a gig, even got a copy of the set list!

Date: June 9, 2016 07:19

Paulhanrahan
bitusa2012
DEmerson

hey Rod my wife and I were there too, what a gig, even got a copy of the set list!

Yeah it was a great night. I actually SAT on the stage for the whole show. My brother in law was next to me, holding me up there. I actually could not get down. Keith gave my hair a tossle. I touched Jagger's shoes and he looked down at me as if to say "don't ever touch me again!" Keith actually started Honky Tonk on one knee in front of me, playing the opening licks one handed as he does, and he leaned over to me and said "how fu**ing easy is this?" We both laughed...

Rod

Date: June 9, 2016 08:35

35love
DandelionPowderman

*mmm pulled it out and just watched Paris BOB again oh yes see what you mean re: Keith, but now going back to Amsterdam BOB
love when this place permissions me.
It's going to take me awhile w/ Totally Stripped. Set up a new Blu Ray player in the back here and as Amsterdam 'Beast of Burden' plays in front of me, as a BOB connoisseur,
THIS IS THE BEST VERSION I've ever seen. Keith on acoustic, come f'ing on man.

ETA: plus Ronnie's better on this version, Jagger et al.

Paradiso BOB is the best, of course. But the ending of the solo at the Olympia is perfection smiling smiley

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 9, 2016 10:27

keefriff99

imho

Having seen 3 clubshows in 2003...
Don't think they matched Paradiso show in 1995..imho

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 9, 2016 10:32

The Totally Stripped deluxe edition has re-kindled my love affair for stones songs .
Especially the numerous non warhorse songs they played at the three different locations now out on DVD.
As a member of the older generation it takes a lot to get me excited these days but by crikey this issue has really done the trick .
If you are considering buying it then go for the Blue Ray version which is absolutely red hot and should have been given 5/5 from reviewers instead of 4/5.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 9, 2016 10:35

shadooby

I did notice that some of the footage looked similar to what I remember from my enhanced Stripped cd from 1995, but I don't have a way to play that anymore.

You can compare it with this one: JTDV-006 STRIPPED 1995 TV Special & Extra -- [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 9, 2016 10:50

stones40
The Totally Stripped deluxe edition has re-kindled my love affair for stones songs .
Especially the numerous non warhorse songs they played at the three different locations now out on DVD.
As a member of the older generation it takes a lot to get me excited these days but by crikey this issue has really done the trick .
If you are considering buying it then go for the Blue Ray version which is absolutely red hot and should have been given 5/5 from reviewers instead of 4/5.

The SDBR version brings no real image impovement, but a better sound for those having a equipment that will make the difference audible.
Still, prices are more or les equal so go for the SDBR

Date: June 9, 2016 11:48

I watched the documentary, the Paradiso show and the Olympia show last night. I had seen the Brixton show before, so I waited a bit with that one.

My thoughts:

The documentary was okay, nothing more. The segments from the shows were too long, and I had seen many of the clips from the studio before, of course.

What stands out is the backstage clips and the footage of people being extatic before and after the shows. Also nice to see bv give a thumbs up before the Brixton show in there.

Indeed it is the Paradiso show that is the nugget in this box set. The looseness, cameradery and their focus is what's immediately recognisable.

What a brilliant show! Everyone's on fire. Keith's sound is brutal – as ragged and dirty as it's ever been – like a hive of bees. Just lovely!

NOT FADE AWAY
Ronnie starts it off. They are a bit shaky, but after a couple of bars of this song, this show elevates like a rocket. I have never heard Mick play as loose on his harp before. He is mocking up licks, but keeps on playing, or even comments it in his harp mic - lovely!

IT’S ALL OVER NOW
Ronnie starts it off again, like he did in the Faces. Keith's sound on the first tracks here might be some of the most distorted guitar he has ever played. A sloppy, but rocking solo by Keith.

LIVE WITH ME
Darryl's sound is awful, but it fits somehow. A very good version. Great weaving by Ronnie and Keith.

LET IT BLEED
The first taste of the acoustic sound. There will be more country - yee-haaw!

THE SPIDER AND THE FLY
Brutal, just brutal! WHY is this a japanese bonus track only? One of the best performances of the night. You can easily see that everybody loves playing it.

BEAST OF BURDEN
Perhaps the best version they ever did. I have heard the Stripped Companion version a zillion times, and I knew the acoustic treatment suits this beautiful tune, but this is way, way better. Soulful and gentle, but with the groove intact. Excellent!

ANGIE
A better version than the one on Stripped, save Mick's singing.

WILD HORSES
They could easily chosen this version to be included on Stripped, as it is just as beautiful, imo. Lovely singing by the Glimmers.

SWEET VIRGINIA
A lovely singalong. It swings, like it should. Very nice playing from Keith.

DEAD FLOWERS
Ronnie is being a cameleon on this one. He is tearing it up, playing subtle fills as well as giving the song gentle strokes of beauty - like with his painting. Yes, this is art!

SHINE A LIGHT
Mick's expression to Darryl after they finish it says it all: Excellent! I prefer this version to the Stripped version. The only thing that's inferior is the actual ending, but that one's good as well, in its own way.

LIKE A ROLLING STONE
Keith on acoustic. A shorter intro before Mick starts singing. Actually I liked this arrangement better.

CONNECTION
Finally, guys, you buried the hatchet, I thought. Mick and Keith on stage together, singing a song where Keith sings lead vocals. They enjoyed it, obviously, so why didn't they do it on the other shows? Easily the best post 1967 version of Connection, mainly because Keith was focused and didn't fiddle about with licks in unexpected places. Some songs needs that focus.

SLIPPING AWAY
On this performance we really understand how brilliant this song actually is. Is this Keith's best lead vocal in a RS show ever? So soulful, melodic and dynamic. The band plays so brilliantly by this point in the show, that they can't do anything wrong, it seems.

THE WORST
Dedicating it to birthday boy Freddie Sessler, Keith puts in his very best into his performance. What a version! Bernard is a little high in the mix when he shares the mic with Keith, but what the h..ck, IORR!

GIMME SHELTER
Like many have said before, this is the ultimate post 1969-version of GS. Slower, with a magic build-up.

ALL DOWN THE LINE
One of the best versions ever. Period. Avoid the Olympia version after this!

RESPECTABLE
Keith's lost his cord during the intro. He looks baffled, as Ronnie tears it up. I can never grow accustomed to the shortened down end of the choruses, but this version rocks anyhow.

RIP THIS JOINT
The funny wrong key-intro is not included on the DVD (only on the cd, for some reason). Mick is a little tired at this point, but gives everything he has anyhow. The sound of this track alone is worth the price of the whole box set. A majestic version.

STREET FIGHTING MAN
If there is just to say «best ever» at any point, it's now. This version is so powerful and swinging that it's ridiculous. Getting that power out of the acoustic arrangement only shows that they made the right decision back when they chose to record it the way they did. Absolutely fabulous, although I like the Stripped mix of it better. Chuck is a bit loud and there is something about the levels of the guitars. Anyway, if you didn't get it – it rocks!

Best ever!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 11:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home