Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 51
Re: Totally Stripped
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:38

I got it today - I changed from the CD/DVD package to the 4dvd 1cd, and I think I've made a great decision. The CD is great, and I'm left wondering what took the guys so long to release these sessions. It is a great live CD.

However, the downside is that I binged on the following recordings today: Everybody's In Showbiz 2cd Legacy edition by The Kinks, Fallen Angels by Bob Dylan, and The Highwaymen American Outlaws 3cd, 1dvd set. I've got an awful lot of listening to do, and the Van Morrison Too Late to Stop material is coming next week.

I'll need some strong caffeine to get through all this. The Allen Toussaint final album is also tempting on 10th June.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:16

Only had a chance to listen a bit. The mixes are a lot warmer on the live material. Someone called them "muddy". Bob Clearmountain has definitely added some echo or reverb, but it sounds nice and analogue (perhaps not, perhaps a digital plug-in). Either way, it sounds a lot more "classic." Like a Rolling Stone does a lot more favors to Jagger. He sounds witty now instead of bellowing.

It goes almost without saying that the Paradiso DVD is the definitive post-Wyman live document, probably the definitive post-WWIII reunion show.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 4, 2016 00:09

After 21 years I am FINALLY watching the Paradiso DVD, am just blown away by how amazing it looks/sounds on my home theater! It is going to be a wonderful weekend!smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 4, 2016 00:56

No thoughts anymore.

This is The Holy Grail type of Hot Stuff.

PARADISO no. 1.

Edit:
People whining about no Paradiso 2:

Still A Fool (a not so good performance) and Jump On Top Of Me
to the lame (mostly invited "vip" crowd and the rest drunk) the second night were/are not as good as the spontaneous first Paradiso Gig of Heaven.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: June 4, 2016 01:00

everything is absolutely wonderful......I could do without the Jagger edits before and after black limousine on brixton.......but this is probably the best release ever.....

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 4, 2016 01:02

Hope bv changes this thread into a TOTALLY STICKY soon.

Best release since uuhhmmm... when?

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: June 4, 2016 02:20

Just bought the 5 disc version from Amazon DE for $49.38 inc shipping, less than half the US Amazon price. It'll take a couple of weeks to get here but I'll have an extra $50 to buy a nice bottle of something to enjoy while I watch the shows. . . .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 4, 2016 03:22

I got the regular blu-ray today. I'm a little disappointed. A lot of songs are cut short or interuptted by interviews. I hate that! That being said, the cd is quite good.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 4, 2016 03:58

The Paradiso is one of,if not the best show I've seen. Had to wait 21 years to see it but damn it's worth it. Can't wait to see the other 2.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 4, 2016 04:09

TeddyB1018
Only had a chance to listen a bit. The mixes are a lot warmer on the live material. Someone called them "muddy". Bob Clearmountain has definitely added some echo or reverb, but it sounds nice and analogue (perhaps not, perhaps a digital plug-in). Either way, it sounds a lot more "classic." Like a Rolling Stone does a lot more favors to Jagger. He sounds witty now instead of bellowing.

It goes almost without saying that the Paradiso DVD is the definitive post-Wyman live document, probably the definitive post-WWIII reunion show.

I bought the Deluxe and, while I am happy with it, I dearly miss Bill. Goodbye, Bill, hello "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!!!"

Posted by: Camm ()
Date: June 4, 2016 05:44

Insult to injury. The woman at Amazon told me the Deluxe can't ship until the 3rd or release date, then I got upgraded to same day delivery by 8 pm. After it got to be about 9:15 pm I called and asked what's up. They , Amazon, won't deliver past 8 pm and my order is re-scheduled for delivery sometime next week but it's unknown what day. But can't say when exactly. If you get a shipping confirmation from AMZL with a tracking number, call and cancel and replace your order. Amazon shipping is the worst ever .

Posted by: Camm ()
Date: June 4, 2016 06:44

As I typed me last post a quiet knock came on the door and I got it. 10:30 pm. I'd still not use Amazon again for shipping. Now it's time to get busy watching!!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 4, 2016 08:23

Blown away, and I only watched the documentary (which included clips/songs from all 3 shows). Next I am going in order, Amsterdam, Paris, London.
What a treat to open, smiled thru reading the book,
I don't know what else to say, this is the best band in the world. It really is.
For some reason, when 'Waiting On A Friend' came on as they showed the guys getting in the boats, sailing down a canal, I cried. What a sap I am.
BV, saw you waiting in Paris outside sitting down :-)
Don't have real life RS friends, smileys with beer to us, and the RS for all the happiness they've provided over the years.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 4, 2016 08:37

Can someone confirm if the European Deluxe edition is region encoded for the Blu Rays or DVDs? On the UK Amazon site, it states that it the Blu Ray is region B/2, which would mean it may not play on all Blu Ray players here in the US.

I haven't purchased it yet, as ideally I would want the Japanese version with the 3 song bonus CD. On the Japanese Amazon you can get the Blu Ray deluxe with bonus CD for around $140. It also includes the Tshirt which I don't care about. The European Deluxe would only cost around $50, so that's a huge difference. In the US the Deluxe costs $110, so if I am going to have to pay that much, I would just go ahead and buy it from Japan, as long as those Blu Rays would work here.

The Japanese bonus CD is also available in the standard CD/DVD or Blu Ray version which Japanese Amazon has for about $55. What I'm thinking of doing is buying the European Deluxe now if it will play on US machines, then worry about this bonus CD later and just buy the Japanese standard version for $55 at some future point, or try to find it used on eBay.

Posted by: INDIANO ()
Date: June 4, 2016 08:55

As the great Kowalsky note in a previous post, the voice of Mick for me is very low in comparison to the rest of the band, in Stripped was more more upfront, this production for me ruined one of the greatest releases of the band and make me nervous . I'm refering to the CD, i have not still watched the DVD and i hope that ripping the audio will be the way to have better sound (only for the Mick's voice, the rest of the sound is fantastic)

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 09:36

To offer an alternate point of view (or hearing), Mick's voice being lower in the mix makes it sound more like the classic Stones to me. His voice has been over mixed for years. That's not a dis of Mick.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 4, 2016 12:01

Looking forward to listening to it. Pirates were quick with that one too, the CD is aleady available for download. Stripped is one of my all-time favourite albums. Btw, wonder if they do more Netflix stuff like for the Keith Richards docu? Would be perfect for the Cuba release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 12:03 by Lorenz.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 4, 2016 12:13

Can't think of anything more to add to the above threads, except to say this set offers the most bang for the buck to date. Seriously, 47 euros for 5 great disc and a book. It doesn't get better than this. Hope there's more like this coming.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:04

TeddyB1018
To offer an alternate point of view (or hearing), Mick's voice being lower in the mix makes it sound more like the classic Stones to me. His voice has been over mixed for years. That's not a dis of Mick.

thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:27

Halup
Can someone confirm if the European Deluxe edition is region encoded for the Blu Rays or DVDs?

I don't know the answer, but it is not too difficult to hack your player to become region free, typing in some codes on your remote control: [www.videohelp.com]

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 13:47

The day after a fantastic party in Paradiso on Thursday night, where I say many old friends and familiar faces the package arrived in the mail yesterday.Beautiful book.

I have thrown out my cd an dvd players years ago.Watchin it now on an old an small set'at my gorlfriends place. Still great. Can't wait until I manage to rip it tpo MP4 and watch it on my proper set.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 4, 2016 14:25

Halup

Can someone confirm if the European Deluxe edition is region encoded for the Blu Rays or DVDs?

The back cover says in the corner right below: "4 SD BLU-RAYS: ABC" respectively: "4 DVDs: NTSC REGION 0" -- therefore it should be playable in all regions.

[www.amazon.de]

[www.amazon.de]

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 14:36

Mine arrives on Tuesday cannot wait!grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:29

Looks like nobody ever told them the place is called "Paradiso", not "The Paradiso" or "The Paradiso Club" smoking smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 4, 2016 16:45

iTunes in Germany had it as a presale for June, 3th. Today they say it is not available?!?!confused smiley

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:03

I´m in Czech Rep. I ordered Deluxe pack 16.5. from Bontonland.cz. And now they wrote me - it will be available in 2 weeks:-(

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:14

Is there a comparison between the original stripped cd and the current one?

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:01

DrPete
Is there a comparison between the original stripped cd and the current one?

There is only one duplicated performance. So some similar titles but alternate live versions.

None of the studio material is included on the CD.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:07

While a great set overall, I'm puzzled by two things:

1. No audio release, or additions to, the studio material.
So this set isn't really TOTALLY Stripped, just the live stuff (I think the studio material was part of the whole concept originally and will make for an odd separate release in the future).

2. The picture quality on these Blu-Rays is terrible. Look like first gen VHS. Dark, saturated, not very sharp. They've done better with material from the 70s and 80s.

J

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:40

I´ve ordered the 4DVD/1Disc-version last week and it arrived 10 minutes ago.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home