Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Johan Cruyff died of cancer today.
Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 25, 2016 12:58

Johan understood the importance of free play in the neighbourhood and created Cruijfcourts. Small soccer playgrounds in the neighboorhood for children so they can play soccer outside.
He also created schools for children who want to combine sports and education. He know how important education was because there is a life after sports.
Look at this page [www.cruyff-foundation.org]
I admire him for this, even more than for his beautiful goals.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: March 25, 2016 12:58

He was the seed for Barcelona team system and therefore for Spain team. He somehow started what finished as 2 eurocups and 1 Worldcahmpionship.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 25, 2016 14:25

Just for the record, like a number of European stars, he did play briefly in the US:

[en.wikipedia.org]

23 matches for the LA Aztecs (who were owned by Sir Elton at least some, I believe George Best played some for them too) and the Washington Diplomats, 30 matches.

My heartfelt condolences and thoughts.

Per the last post, also managed Barcelona for quite a time. Catalonia too; 2009-2013, so quite a spell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-25 14:27 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 25, 2016 15:32

RIP Johan.........thanks for the great soccer

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 25, 2016 15:52

Probably by now God has a splitting headache, 'cause Johan -who always knows everything better than everyone else- is telling Him what he did all wrong with the creation of mankind and the universe.winking smiley

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: March 25, 2016 16:09

sad to hear that. did he play with his nationalteam in 1979 ? I remember he played in 1978 when Holland lost to Argentina in the world cup final If he played in 1979 in his national team, I with Iceland played aganinst him, Holland Iceland 3-1 in Nijmegen.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 25, 2016 16:31

He didn't play in Argentina in 1978.
Unfortunately our two best players Johan Cruyff and Willem van Hanegem didn't play for Orange (the Dutch team) in that World Cup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-25 16:32 by GJV.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 25, 2016 16:37

sad to hear that. did he play with his nationalteam in 1979 ? I remember he played in 1978 when Holland lost to Argentina in the world cup final If he played in 1979 in his national team, I with Iceland played aganinst him, Holland Iceland 3-1 in Nijmegen.

In 1979 he didn't played for the national team he went to the US
[nl.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 25, 2016 16:41

He played his last interland in 1977.

Date: March 25, 2016 16:49

I watched the 1974 final Germany - Holland a few times again, and when I'm lost in the game I still believe we're going to win it after the first penalty, 2nd minute.smiling smiley

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: March 25, 2016 23:53

there was a friendly game tonight in Amsterdam between Netherlands and France.
The result is not important.
I just wanted to say that the game was stopped at the 14th minute to pay tribute to Johann Cruijf. I've never seen that before and I think it was a very beautiful way to salute a great player who was one of a kind.

Date: March 26, 2016 04:50

jpasc95
there was a friendly game tonight in Amsterdam between Netherlands and France.
The result is not important.
I just wanted to say that the game was stopped at the 14th minute to pay tribute to Johann Cruijf. I've never seen that before and I think it was a very beautiful way to salute a great player who was one of a kind.

That's very sweet, thank you for telling us that.

Cruyff, Eusebio, a lot of stellar athletes, Sir Stanley Matthews who was largely before this modern age, 1940s and before, I read his bio and it's very interesting, he was a vegetarian but born around the Stoke area, he had a bad cold so the doctors gave him something for the game; and after the game and when he went home, he couldn't sleep so he cleaned up the house and then, at 2 AM in the morning, went outside to work on his yard; but he says that's the only time he ever did things like that.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: March 26, 2016 15:21

Greg

Btw guys: Cruijff, not Cruyff.

...Indeed.

That said: the All-Time Greatest, no doubt! (Together with a bunch of others - Messi, etc. - obviously... because true Brilliance is unique, and therefor can not be compared, let alone: ranked imo.)

He was one of the very few football players (I can only think of 3 or 4) that - and I say this reluctanntly, because I know it sounds shallow... - truely moved me.

Johan Cruijff: a true artist in the greatest sideshow to life there is... For all the countless moments of pure delight & utter enchantment you gave us/ me: Thanx, Jopie. R.I.P.!

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: March 26, 2016 16:33

RoughJusticeOnYa
Greg

Btw guys: Cruijff, not Cruyff.

...Indeed.

That said: the All-Time Greatest, no doubt! (Together with a bunch of others - Messi, etc. - obviously... because true Brilliance is unique, and therefor can not be compared, let alone: ranked imo.)

He was one of the very few football players (I can only think of 3 or 4) that - and I say this reluctanntly, because I know it sounds shallow... - truely moved me.

Johan Cruijff: a true artist in the greatest sideshow to life there is... For all the countless moments of pure delight & utter enchantment you gave us/ me: Thanx, Jopie. R.I.P.!

+1

..when i see those brilliant outside foot passes i always get goosebumps. And he had that timing. Only maradonna and messi were/are on that level. But..he didn't have to touch the ball so much as those two. So gracefull...that's why I think he's the greatest of all time !

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 26, 2016 17:53

Another football great gone. Thank you for everything you gave to the game of football Johan. You will be forever remembered for that turn against Sweden in 1974 but there was much more to you than that. The sign of a truly great player is that they are admired by more than just their own supporters, often arch rivals too.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 26, 2016 19:06

The master of total football.

Rest in peace, Johan Cruyff

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2016 20:57

Okay, everyone; how about this? A fully-fit, non-intoxicated mid-to-late 60's George Best, vs. Johan Cruyff?

Every football-loving person knows Best's downfall; his saddening decline into pop-like, superstardom, endless women and alcohol. However, in my opinion, never was there a more entertaining, exciting footballer than George in his pomp. He went beyond mere soccer-playing, of course; yet, ultimately, his skipping-past Chelsea's Ron 'chopper' Harris, running rings round West Ham's Harry Redknapp and lifting the European Cup in '68, should be reason enough for warranting a raising beyond the turbulent, unfortunateness of his dwindling, lost years.

Date: March 27, 2016 22:21

Crujiff helped shape the Barcelona system I take it.

Messi came through the Barcelona system, so, I don't take any of the comparisons people make really.

A few years ago, one of the Uruguayan players from the 1930 winning team was still around. It's just curious, Crujiff passed away too young.

Posted by: Woodski ()
Date: March 28, 2016 16:57

Big Al
Okay, everyone; how about this? A fully-fit, non-intoxicated mid-to-late 60's George Best, vs. Johan Cruyff?

Every football-loving person knows Best's downfall; his saddening decline into pop-like, superstardom, endless women and alcohol. However, in my opinion, never was there a more entertaining, exciting footballer than George in his pomp. He went beyond mere soccer-playing, of course; yet, ultimately, his skipping-past Chelsea's Ron 'chopper' Harris, running rings round West Ham's Harry Redknapp and lifting the European Cup in '68, should be reason enough for warranting a raising beyond the turbulent, unfortunateness of his dwindling, lost years.

A close run thing but Cruyff just shades it for me.For pure skill they are pretty equal,but Cruyff was more of a team player whereas if I had one criticism of Best (and I am a United fan!) he was a tad selfish

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 28, 2016 18:04

BroomWagon
Crujiff

It's Cruijff (or Cruyff) thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1271
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home