Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Darryl Jones film trailer - sneak peek
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 16, 2016 16:39

It's a trailer of course, so it's just meant to tease me into watching the whole movie,
but seeing this I wonder if there will be any explanation (by Charlie and/or Keith) about
how Darryl fits into the famous Stones sound. That which Bill called "The Wobble".

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 16, 2016 18:08

Looking forwards to seeing this. Even without the Stones content. It's always interesting to hear about Miles'working methods and band selection as he was one of best ever band leaders and had a real nose (ear?) for talent.

sc uk

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 16, 2016 18:45

It looks like a great documentary!

Bjornulf

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 16, 2016 20:25

marcovandereijk
It's a trailer of course, so it's just meant to tease me into watching the whole movie,
but seeing this I wonder if there will be any explanation (by Charlie and/or Keith) about
how Darryl fits into the famous Stones sound. That which Bill called "The Wobble".

I asked Charlie about "the Wobble", but he said he had not heard this term from Bill and didn't know what it meant… I also asked Keith about "the ancient art of weaving", and he said that Darryl is "the third weaver", along with himself and Ronnie...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 16, 2016 20:53

roundnround
marcovandereijk

I asked Charlie about "the Wobble", but he said he had not heard this term from Bill and didn't know what it meant… I also asked Keith about "the ancient art of weaving", and he said that Darryl is "the third weaver", along with himself and Ronnie...

What a crock.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 21:12

Thanks for your insights roundnround. Did Keith or Ron say anything about Bill?

Date: March 16, 2016 21:30

Rollin92

I can't give away everything in advance of the film, but since you asked I will tell you that Ronnie said this:

"It’s a bit like when I was with The Faces we didn’t miss Ronnie Lane until he had gone because he sat in there so simply and his parts were very clever and I think Bill is a bit like that. We don’t miss Bill and his playing so much as we did Ronnie Lane in The Faces. What Darryl does is that he just adds whereas Bill just sat in and sat behind the beat which was great, it made the songs pump along. Darryl adds a vitality and a vibrance that…at a kind of prowess of musicianship that is on another level I think."

Date: March 16, 2016 21:36

roundnround
Rollin92

I can't give away everything in advance of the film, but since you asked I will tell you that Ronnie said this:

"It’s a bit like when I was with The Faces we didn’t miss Ronnie Lane until he had gone because he sat in there so simply and his parts were very clever and I think Bill is a bit like that. We don’t miss Bill and his playing so much as we did Ronnie Lane in The Faces. What Darryl does is that he just adds whereas Bill just sat in and sat behind the beat which was great, it made the songs pump along. Darryl adds a vitality and a vibrance that…at a kind of prowess of musicianship that is on another level I think."

Thanks roundndround, some nice words about Bill's playing from Ronnie. It's that sitting in and behind the beat though that really gave the Stones a key part of their sound.

Date: March 16, 2016 21:47

I would add that someone in England is making a documentary film about Bill Wyman… See this link Bill Wyman documentary If you are a Bill fan, you should check this out. It sounds interesting… My film is about Darryl so it primarily focuses on him and his music.

Date: March 16, 2016 21:51

roundnround
I would add that someone in England is making a documentary film about Bill Wyman… See this link Bill Wyman documentary If you are a Bill fan, you should check this out. It sounds interesting… My film is about Darryl so it primarily focuses on him and his music.

Thanks for that, I've been looking forward to the Bill documentary but given his current relationship with the band I doubt any member will be interviewed for it. That's why I've been asking you as to what they've said about his playing etc >grinning smiley<

Keith goes on about Darryl not getting his dues but Bill gets even less, but people have started waking up to the fact at how great a bassist Bill is albeit in his own way.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 16, 2016 22:16

its a touchy subject but it seems, to me anyway, that the Stones actually like

Darryl Jones.

not sure how it was with Bill...I always felt they were kind of ambivalent about him, and him about them.

he sure put up with a lot of stress and resentment but in the end the music shines..

Date: March 16, 2016 22:27

duke richardson
its a touchy subject but it seems, to me anyway, that the Stones actually like

Darryl Jones.

not sure how it was with Bill...I always felt they were kind of ambivalent about him, and him about them.

he sure put up with a lot of stress and resentment but in the end the music shines..

I think between Bill and the Stones there is a genuine love and respect for each other, after all they went on a trailblazing musical journey together.

But at the same time its' worth remembering that Darryl came aboard late in the Stones career when they had been through all their ups and downs and achieved everything musically.

Bill and the Stones went through all weathers together, so undoubtedly there is a natural reserve etc and issues that have gone unresolved. That's why you don't really feel the immediate warmth when they speak about each other, so much water thats gone under the bridge. But behind all that there is a genuine love, albeit we as the public don't see it, same with Mick and Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-16 22:28 by Rollin92.

Date: March 16, 2016 22:45

roundnround

Thank you.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 22:52

I have to admit I was not familiar w/ Darryl before he joined the Stones but that says more about me than him. Obviously Miles knew about him at an early age.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 16, 2016 23:00

Seems like Bob and I are more of musicians than Ron and Charlie then. At least we can hear that Darryl doesn't fit in with the band. And I think it's a shame the way they seem to understate Bill's contribution to the band.

Date: March 16, 2016 23:43

What has this band, by the way, accomplished the last three decades but status quo?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 16, 2016 23:55

Great trailer! Looking forward to the docu!!!
When will this be released?
Darryl is THE ROLLING STONES bassplayer for 23 years now (yes, since 1993 Voodoo Lounge sessions)!!!
And he never missed a gig.
Time to make a songcredit on the new album.
Maybe a Watts/Jones jazzy kind of song.

Date: March 16, 2016 23:59

Stoneage
What has this band, by the way, accomplished the last three decades but status quo?

I agree. Status Quo comes first with their output the last three decades, but THE ROLLING STONES come in close at second place don't you think. >grinning smiley<

Edit: Darryl should have joined Status Quo hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 00:02 by RipThisBone.

Date: March 17, 2016 00:04

Rollin92
roundnround

Thanks for that, I've been looking forward to the Bill documentary but given his current relationship with the band I doubt any member will be interviewed for it. That's why I've been asking you as to what they've said about his playing etc >grinning smiley<

Keith goes on about Darryl not getting his dues but Bill gets even less, but people have started waking up to the fact at how great a bassist Bill is albeit in his own way.

That's enough of this 'Darryl played with Miles Davis' so he's a master musician hokum. I see your Miles Davis, and raise you one Muddy Waters. I'll probably set up a separate thread for this, but I got the 'Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynamite & Messin' With The Blues' CD/DVD set for Christmas. Muddy REQUESTED Bill Wyman for his Montreaux Switzerland gig in 1974. The opening acts, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells caught on to this and dumped their backing band for the rhythm section of Bill/Dallas Taylor/Terry Taylor & Pinetop Perkins.
Bill is absolutely KILLER. Playing out of his comfort zone with Charlie, he still holds everything together. You wouldn't even know it was Bill if you just listened to it. He lays behind everything, while subtly pushing it forward. There was very little rehearsal, and Bill has to ad lib a lot, and believe me, he does it.

So, you can take the bass player that Miles Davis picked, and Madonna, and Sting. I'll take the one Muddy chose, oh yeah, and Howlin' Wolf for the London Sessions.

Date: March 17, 2016 00:20

24FPS
Rollin92
roundnround

That's enough of this 'Darryl played with Miles Davis' so he's a master musician hokum. I see your Miles Davis, and raise you one Muddy Waters. I'll probably set up a separate thread for this, but I got the 'Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynamite & Messin' With The Blues' CD/DVD set for Christmas. Muddy REQUESTED Bill Wyman for his Montreaux Switzerland gig in 1974. The opening acts, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells caught on to this and dumped their backing band for the rhythm section of Bill/Dallas Taylor/Terry Taylor & Pinetop Perkins.
Bill is absolutely KILLER. Playing out of his comfort zone with Charlie, he still holds everything together. You wouldn't even know it was Bill if you just listened to it. He lays behind everything, while subtly pushing it forward. There was very little rehearsal, and Bill has to ad lib a lot, and believe me, he does it.

So, you can take the bass player that Miles Davis picked, and Madonna, and Sting. I'll take the one Muddy chose, oh yeah, and Howlin' Wolf for the London Sessions.

thumbs up
...............but Bill left...... or had to leave.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 00:22 by RipThisBone.

Date: March 17, 2016 00:53

RipThisBone
Stoneage

I agree. Status Quo comes first with their output the last three decades, but THE ROLLING STONES come in close at second place don't you think. >grinning smiley<

Bring Lancaster back!

Date: March 17, 2016 01:07

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
Stoneage

Bring Lancaster back!

Where were you guys during your latin lessons?

Date: March 17, 2016 01:46

Listening to Quid Pro Quo?

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 03:36

This is cool. Thanks for posting the link, looking forward to seeing the film in its entirety.

As far as the music goes, it's kind of a Catch-22. I feel that Darryl adds more to their live sound. The Stones have put on some phenomenal shows with Darryl playing bass, and they continue to do so.

But all those iconic recordings, that we love, as Stones fans, when we listen to classic Stones albums, Bill Wyman is usually playing bass.

Bill said it himself. He and Darryl have two very different styles. Bill plays lightly with his thumb, and Darryl plays hard with his fingers.

There was a certain 'weave' that took place on old Stones albums. Most bands follow the bass and drums. But Bill Bill Wyman played lightly, following Keith on guitar. That was a 'weave' that made the Stones' sound unique.

So, I think Darryl is great. I'm glad he's in the band. They rock. One of my favorites bootlegs is the BTB rehearsals. I could never take anything away from Darryl. They made a great choice by adding him to the Stones. The band is whole right now... that's the best way I can describe it. The chemistry of the band really works live.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: March 17, 2016 05:53

As a Rolling Stones fanatic and a (recreational) bass player, I am really looking forward to seeing this. Thank you very much for posting. By chance I gave my copy of Miles Davis "You're Under Arrest" a spin on the old turntable for the first time in a long time the other day, and I was really stuck at how great Daryl's playing is on that record. The Stones could have done a lot worse finding someone to fill Bill's shoes when he left the band. Sure, he's more straight in the pocket than Bill, and that swinging swagger and sway isn't there, but he's an absolutely fantastic player and and seems to lock in well with Charlie and Keith, which I'm sure is no small feat to pull off. Go Daryl! So awesome this is being made into a film.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 05:56 by goinhome.

Date: March 17, 2016 06:52

goinhome
The Stones could have done a lot worse finding someone to fill Bill's shoes when he left the band. Sure, he's more straight in the pocket than Bill, and that swinging swagger and sway isn't there, but he's an absolutely fantastic player and and seems to lock in well with Charlie and Keith, which I'm sure is no small feat to pull off. Go Daryl! So awesome this is being made into a film.

And so...the eternal question. Since he isn't in the pocket, or have swinging swagger, what are we commending Darryl's playing for? His adequateness? His absolute being there when they announce the group each night? His ability to stay away from the music?

Of course the Stones could have done a lot worse finding someone to fill Bill's shoes. There's the faint praise again. But I think we seem to be locking into something here....they could have done a lot better.

Date: March 17, 2016 22:27

I interviewed Bernard Fowler for the film and asked him how the Stones sound has changed or evolved since Darryl has been in the band. He said this:

"It rolls a little more, there’s a little more groove factor with Darryl. It could be because of where he is from, Chicago….Those boys know how to play bass; that bass with no frills, no bullshit rock solid bass. They know how to hold it down and that’s what Darryl did, he holds it down and he is always there, always there, always there…

Like I said the groove is a little bit more….It rolls a little bit more and I’m sure that has something to do with Darryl’s background. He’s not Bill Wyman, he’s Darryl Jones and he is sensitive enough to fit in that place without overdoing it, you know, he knows how to hold it down."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2016 22:54

Hold it down ... OOOww yeah I can do that ... but ya gotta concentrate ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2016 23:19

roundnround
I interviewed Bernard Fowler for the film and asked him how the Stones sound has changed or evolved since Darryl has been in the band. He said this:

"It rolls a little more, there’s a little more groove factor with Darryl. It could be because of where he is from, Chicago….Those boys know how to play bass; that bass with no frills, no bullshit rock solid bass. They know how to hold it down and that’s what Darryl did, he holds it down and he is always there, always there, always there…

Like I said the groove is a little bit more….It rolls a little bit more and I’m sure that has something to do with Darryl’s background. He’s not Bill Wyman, he’s Darryl Jones and he is sensitive enough to fit in that place without overdoing it, you know, he knows how to hold it down."

It's hard to tell whether Bernard is doing Bill down here, did you get the sense he was roundnround?

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: March 17, 2016 23:25

Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home