Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: When The Whip Comes Down (New)
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 17, 2016 00:46

Well, I`m not in sync with what seems to be eh, consensus? I don`t like punk in the first place. I prefer the comeback Stones that started in `89 to this stuff. I like Exile, but this song comes from an album that was a slam in the face, and then came Undercover, and then Dirty Work... Emotional Rescue and Tatoo You were outtakes...

Date: March 17, 2016 00:52

ER and TY weren't outtakes.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 01:52

I love the Sucking In The 70's live version which I believe comes from Oshawa 79?

Date: March 17, 2016 09:39

DGA35
I love the Sucking In The 70's live version which I believe comes from Oshawa 79?

Detroit 1978.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 17, 2016 10:35

I Think this song is the first that Mick starts singing with a special pronouncing that I immediately found annoying...-When the whip comes down..down with a phony voice...

Therefore it's not on my fav-list...

Dylan also started up in the 90's sounding like he is from Italy or something...Hey it's me that's Swedish here..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 17, 2016 13:11

Funny you say that. I listened to the song on youtube (live). What struck me at first was do they really say "down"? Only after focusing on this prononciation I could well hear that this was what they said.

When the Whip Comes Down is about a gay garbage collector?
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 12, 2022 16:55

Re: When the Whip Comes Down is about a gay garbage collector?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 12, 2022 17:06

That's quite obvious isn't.

Mathijs

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 12, 2022 17:11

another song we won't be hearing live anytime soon again....

Date: October 12, 2022 17:14

The gay part is obvious, but I didn't dive deeper into the trash collector thing. In retrospect, I can see it, but it's hard to take lyrics at face value. Most of my favorite lyrics are not literal. But, congrats on figuring it out.

Date: October 12, 2022 17:15

VoodooLounge13

Careful with the politics. winking smiley

Date: October 12, 2022 17:26

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

I didn't see that as political, but fair warning indeed!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 12, 2022 17:45

VoodooLounge13

Probably. Not bad live, but the studio version is killer!

Date: October 12, 2022 18:19

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

I didn't see that as political, but fair warning indeed!

Me neither, but some people do.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2022 18:44

This makes me laugh a bit. I mean who would have thought there would be a time when political correctness could be attached to The Stones, or Rock and Roll for that matter. Also makes me wonder if the generation before me felt similar about changing times in thier old age. Anyhow, I always liked this song, music and lyrics. I also didn't know it was about a garbage man. But the gay part always makes me laugh.

Date: October 12, 2022 18:51

frankotero
This makes me laugh a bit. I mean who would have thought there would be a time when political correctness could be attached to The Stones, or Rock and Roll for that matter. Also makes me wonder if the generation before me felt similar about changing times in thier old age. Anyhow, I always liked this song, music and lyrics. I also didn't know it was about a garbage man. But the gay part always makes me laugh.

But the garbage man part is obvious, or so I've been told. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2022 18:58

I recall reading something a long time ago that involved Mick's observation about NYC with the trash piling up and how the city had gotten so run down. He said in 1978 he didn't know why he wrote the song but that seemed to be the backbone of what lead to Whip. Mick says a lot of things at some point and that's what sticks, not what he says later.

Why MSN would do a supposed article about Whip that is just the usual clickbait crap makes no sense.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 12, 2022 18:59

Oh the outrage. Next they'll be telling us Mick Jagger wrote a song about a gay hustler who fancies a policeman or a song about a plantation owner preferring sex with his slaves or, even worse, songs about enjoying bondage. Will wonders never cease? Thank goodness they're nice and safe and offend no one in 2022 or we wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 12, 2022 19:14

GasLightStreet
Why MSN would do a supposed article about Whip that is just the usual clickbait crap makes no sense.

It ties in with the new tell-all book that the Daily Mail was hyping the other day. After all, it's 2022 and the general public still thinks saying a celebrity is or was gay or bi-sexual is newsworthy. Imagine if they understood that much of show business has always been about a willingness to trade favors quid pro quo. You'll find many celebrities willing to cross lines to get what they want. Romantic feelings may never enter into it. It's really no different than the business world where people climb the ladder the same way or the account rep who trades favors for business from clients. However, in a small-minded world, it's all shocking and fodder for gossip and a label to hang on someone and say this is what or who they really are.

Re: Track Talk: When The Whip Comes Down
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 12, 2022 20:02

I literally have no idea what When the Whip Comes Down is about. I enjoy this song for it’s music, not it’s lyrics. I certainly couldn’t recite them.

It is depressing. Everyday there’s an article published somewhere that bemoans a piece of music that you love, that’s part of your subconscious. Generation Z, eh?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 12, 2022 20:11

Rocky Dijon
Oh the outrage. Next they'll be telling us Mick Jagger wrote a song about a gay hustler who fancies a policeman or a song about a plantation owner preferring sex with his slaves or, even worse, songs about enjoying bondage. Will wonders never cease? Thank goodness they're nice and safe and offend no one in 2022 or we wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

The warning on the Beatles' Get Back film that it contained "smoking" says it all about today's audience.

That said, I always wished that "When The Whip Comes Down" had a bigger sound. It just seems a little thin to me. I like the lean, mean sound of the rest of the album, but "Whip" cries out for a huge wave of sound, like "Gimme Shelter."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2022 21:02

The song didn't impress me first that much, but then I heard the live version on SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES, and I was hooked. There it introduced so well the new, raw, punk-influenced three-guitar-attack Stones sound. (But, for me hearing it after the original SOME GIRLS version was only a matter of some months at the time I think).

- Doxa

Date: October 12, 2022 21:31

loog droog
Rocky Dijon

The warning on the Beatles' Get Back film that it contained "smoking" says it all about today's audience.

That said, I always wished that "When The Whip Comes Down" had a bigger sound. It just seems a little thin to me. I like the lean, mean sound of the rest of the album, but "Whip" cries out for a huge wave of sound, like "Gimme Shelter."

Totally agree with the thin sound complaint.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2022 21:56

Yes, I also love the live version best. Especially from Sucking In The Seventies. There's been some other great live versions as well.smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 12, 2022 23:01

VoodooLounge13

i'm sorry but has there been some kind of backlash against the song?

it always struck me as more of a kinda punk rock power anthem for the gay community of new york in the 1970's

the gay character in this song comes off to me as angry, powerful, resilient, and proud (kinda of a gay 70's jumping jack flashgrinning smiley)

compare that to the usual limp wristed, weak, pathetic, cowardly, effeminate, and even sexually predatory stereotypical depictions of gay people in the 70's

i don't frankly care or think it matters what gen z or millienals think about this song it's not about them or there communities

it's about gay baby boomers in new york in the 70's

if someone from that groups wants complain and make a argument for how they find it offensive i'll listen and take it seriously

but short of that it's all just so much meaningless noise

play the damn song!smiling smiley

Date: October 12, 2022 23:07

I was gay in New York
Just a fag in L.A.

.........not exactly PC lyrics for today's concert-goer.

I echo your sentiments, Professor, in regards to the boys' entire catalog!!!! If a book offends, don't read it. If a song offends, don't listen to it. If a painting offends, don't look at it. But for God's sake, don't censor art because it offends!!! That's often the point in the first place.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 12, 2022 23:18

Two chords perfection. No need for the third (or fourth) chord.

The version on Live in Texas is my favourite.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2022 23:46

But for God's sake, don't censor art because it offends!!!

agree ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 12, 2022 23:50

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-12 23:51 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2022 00:20

Yeah I go to 53rd Street and they spit in my face
But I'm learning the ropes, yeah, I'm learning a trade
The East River truckers are churning with trash
I've got so much money but I spend it so fast

.......................... When The whip Comes Down -- Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home