Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: When The Whip Comes Down (New)
Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 13, 2022 01:34

DandelionPowderman
DGA35
I love the Sucking In The 70's live version which I believe comes from Oshawa 79?

Detroit 1978.
Its crazy how fast it is live. Charlie has his foot firmly pressed down on the accelerator. God love him!

Re: Track Talk: When The Whip Comes Down
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 13, 2022 01:34

"When the sh!t hits the fan, I'll be sitting in the can" always cracked me up.

Always thought this is one of their best kind of harder rocking songs.

Sounds like a typical good need riff that Jagger quickly wrote some lyrics to that he thought was mildly funny.

Re: When the Whip Comes Down is about a gay garbage collector?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2022 07:09

loog droog
Rocky Dijon
Oh the outrage. Next they'll be telling us Mick Jagger wrote a song about a gay hustler who fancies a policeman or a song about a plantation owner preferring sex with his slaves or, even worse, songs about enjoying bondage. Will wonders never cease? Thank goodness they're nice and safe and offend no one in 2022 or we wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

The warning on the Beatles' Get Back film that it contained "smoking" says it all about today's audience.

That said, I always wished that "When The Whip Comes Down" had a bigger sound. It just seems a little thin to me. I like the lean, mean sound of the rest of the album, but "Whip" cries out for a huge wave of sound, like "Gimme Shelter."

You mean like this!!??

Re: Track Talk: When The Whip Comes Down (New)
Date: October 13, 2022 07:13

DandelionPowderman
ER and TY weren't outtakes.

LOL you are correct technically!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 13, 2022 07:28

VoodooLounge13
I was gay in New York
Just a fag in L.A.

.........not exactly PC lyrics for today's concert-goer.

I echo your sentiments, Professor, in regards to the boys' entire catalog!!!! If a book offends, don't read it. If a song offends, don't listen to it. If a painting offends, don't look at it. But for God's sake, don't censor art because it offends!!! That's often the point in the first place.

right but that line is a accurate expression of how gay and trans people outside of ny felt at the time about ny being a place they could be themselves and not fear being spit on, verbally assaulted or even killed

then they got there and found out that "wherever i go they treat me the same"

to not sing that line (as mick hasn't for a long time) robs the song of a important point that he's trying to make

its clear to me that mick wrote this song from a place of understanding and empathy for his gay friends in ny and not to mock or humiliate them as many of his contemporaries at the time likely would have when writing a song like this

we should applaud him for showing some decency towards his fellow man and not let criticizing him for using a no-no word overshadow the larger importance of what the song represents

as far as the importance of a artist right to freedom of expression i agree and believe it's a very important thing and should be robustly defended (within reason)

Date: October 13, 2022 08:27

ProfessorWolf
VoodooLounge13
I was gay in New York
Just a fag in L.A.

.........not exactly PC lyrics for today's concert-goer.

I echo your sentiments, Professor, in regards to the boys' entire catalog!!!! If a book offends, don't read it. If a song offends, don't listen to it. If a painting offends, don't look at it. But for God's sake, don't censor art because it offends!!! That's often the point in the first place.

right but that line is a accurate expression of how gay and trans people outside of ny felt at the time about ny being a place they could be themselves and not fear being spit on, verbally assaulted or even killed

then they got there and found out that "wherever i go they treat me the same"

to not sing that line (as mick hasn't for a long time) robs the song of a important point that he's trying to make

its clear to me that mick wrote this song from a place of understanding and empathy for his gay friends in ny and not to mock or humiliate them as many of his contemporaries at the time likely would have when writing a song like this

we should applaud him for showing some decency towards his fellow man and not let criticizing him for using a no-no word overshadow the larger importance of what the song represents

as far as the importance of a artist right to freedom of expression i agree and believe it's a very important thing and should be robustly defended (within reason)

Absolutely.

Mick isn't derogatory, just factual. Lingo still used in 2022 and probably for quite some time. My gay friends say much worse and have no issues with speaking that way.

It's not like Mick is offended by people using the thumbs up or okay emojis.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2022 15:59

I wasn't implying that Mick was being derogatory. Simply saying that it's one of several songs I don't think we'll hear anymore as the boys self-police and whitewash their live catalog for these times. It's unfortunate really.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 13, 2022 16:41

VoodooLounge13
If a book offends, don't read it. If a song offends, don't listen to it. If a painting offends, don't look at it.

I'd say the opposite :watch it, read it, listen to it.
That's how you grow up.
Avoiding offensive works of art is childish : it's behaving like the 4yo kid who doesn't dare open the cupboard because "there are monsters inside!"

Back to topic : nobody mentioned yet the 77/78 10-minute outtake that's glorious!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-13 16:55 by dcba.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: October 13, 2022 17:51

Best version ever (especially the beginning!): grinning smiley

Date: October 13, 2022 23:09

VoodooLounge13
I wasn't implying that Mick was being derogatory. Simply saying that it's one of several songs I don't think we'll hear anymore as the boys self-police and whitewash their live catalog for these times. It's unfortunate really.

oh i understand that sorry if it came off otherwise

and i don't see why they wouldn't play it

hasn't it been in the song votes at least once in the last couple years?

Date: October 13, 2022 23:14

dcba
VoodooLounge13
If a book offends, don't read it. If a song offends, don't listen to it. If a painting offends, don't look at it.

I'd say the opposite :watch it, read it, listen to it.
That's how you grow up.
Avoiding offensive works of art is childish : it's behaving like the 4yo kid who doesn't dare open the cupboard because "there are monsters inside!"

Back to topic : nobody mentioned yet the 77/78 10-minute outtake that's glorious!?

oh it really is fantastic love it even more then the finished version

and it's even better if you follow it up with the really long version of hey negrita

Date: October 14, 2022 07:01

VoodooLounge13

LOL I never implied YOU were saying it's derogatory!

It was played live recently... kinda. 2015 as far as I can see.

Culturally in 2022 I can understand ala Brown Sugar but in regard with who's going to see the shows... no.

Date: October 14, 2022 12:28

most of the time i think it's mediocre. Sometimes i love this song. Weird one for me.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 14, 2022 17:08

dcba

couldn't agree more! Focusing on Richard's rhythm guitar is hypnotic, amazing how much he can do with just an A and D chord.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 14, 2022 17:44

Mathijs

Focusing on Richard's rhythm guitar is hypnotic, amazing how much he can do with just an A and D chord.

Mathijs

Imaginary Keith quote :
"Taylor would have never been able to play on that one! Ronnie was the man for the job, uhr uhr urh!"

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home