Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: No Security
Date: September 22, 2016 08:44

I'm not crazy about guests, either, but I gladly make an exception for the fabulous Taj Mahal.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 22, 2016 11:26

TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
Corrina is not a bore.

No, it's not...but for me, I've never really liked the idea of "special guests" with the Stones. I like my Stones pure and unadulterated! Of course there have been some exceptions; Clapton in 1989 on Rooster was good. Mick and Sheryl Crow had a very good sexy chemistry on Honky Tonk Women in 2002 at MSG, and on All Down The Line in 2013. There are others but I generally like the Stones to be just the Stones.

Agreed, I listened back to Corrina and it's not as boring as I remembered it to be, Charlie really got the groove down. But overall there shouldn't any guest artists on live albums with The Stones.

Maybe that's more accurate as to how I feel. In the excitement of a concert, guests might be a fun addition. But when they put out a live album, the song versions should just be the Stones. The only official exceptions for me might be Clapton on Rooster and Buddy Guy on Champagne and Reefer. I like seeing Sheryl Crow on Four Flicks but I would've preferred a just-Stones version of HTW on Live Licks...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 22, 2016 11:41

IAW HonkyTonk; I'm not a fan of guests either. And I think it's mainly from them overdoing it. Because in the old days it was a treat. It was an exception.
But then it got to the point where it was a contract stipulation that comes off so pained and forced that it s a chore to watch.
You have some great artists completely lost ( Amy Winehouse), you have total head scratchers (Taylor Swift), and then you have pairings that look good on paper, but don't work in a stadium (Tom Waits). I had already grown tired of Lisa over-emoting on every "Gimme Shelter"; and I certainly don't need no guest divas trying to add to their screeching scale tally.
Guesting with a band should be something genuine, organic. Musicians wanting to play with other musicians. Not a temporary business merger.

Date: September 22, 2016 11:48

Palace Revolution 2000
IAW HonkyTonk; I'm not a fan of guests either. And I think it's mainly from them overdoing it. Because in the old days it was a treat. It was an exception.
But then it got to the point where it was a contract stipulation that comes off so pained and forced that it s a chore to watch.
You have some great artists completely lost ( Amy Winehouse), you have total head scratchers (Taylor Swift), and then you have pairings that look good on paper, but don't work in a stadium (Tom Waits). I had already grown tired of Lisa over-emoting on every "Gimme Shelter"; and I certainly don't need no guest divas trying to add to their screeching scale tally.
Guesting with a band should be something genuine, organic. Musicians wanting to play with other musicians. Not a temporary business merger.

Maybe that's why I liked Clapton on Flashpoint; it seemed like a genuine musical, artistic collaboration. Many others do seem forced and awkward...Taylor Swift? OK, she has some talent but mostly appeals to teenage girls...with The Rolling Stones? Really, WTF?

Date: September 22, 2016 11:50

Florence Welch, who guested on GS for the second O2-show, was a breath-taking exception. Apart from that, I agree totally about the diva guests, Palace.

Date: September 22, 2016 12:02

DandelionPowderman
Florence Welch, who guested on GS for the second O2-show, was a breath-taking exception. Apart from that, I agree totally about the diva guests, Palace.

Yeah - I saw the video of that...very good! I think Sheryl Crow has a very good chemistry with Mick and the boys. I liked her very much on All Down The Line in 2012.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: August 30, 2021 16:34

Relistening to this album. It’s very enjoyable. Memory motel is great I didn’t listen much to this before. I always like Saint of me. Waiting on a friend pleasant surprise. Sister Morphine , Live with me and respectable…. All great!!
Isn’t respectable a brilliant tune!!!
Finally last time and the more I listen to out of control… I think this is just really tight great modern Stones sound. This plus San Jose 99 …. Just great stuff.

Had started to listen to both with sad news of Charlie’s death, have mentioned my enjoyment particularly of Get off of my cloud ( SJ 99) elsewhere.

I wondered if anyone else agreed that this stands as the modern standard of the Rolling Stones…. Like a hallmark of their more recent stuff???

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 30, 2021 17:28

When it comes to Stones live albums, this probably is the odd one out. Great setlist, without most of the usual suspects and the only one that didn't receive a Universal remastered release (which is a shame!).

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 30, 2021 17:56

Very happy with the original Virgin mastering, glad i have this version to listen to.

And not a Universal brickwalled edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 17:59 by barbabang.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2021 17:57

Elmo Lewis
shortfatfanny
Elmo Lewis
Please re-release with a Stones only version of MM

Best idea !

thumbs up cool smiley

Bridges To Bremen has this!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2021 18:10

Stones live albums has always come across as tourist souvenirs to me. I always wanted a complete concert (and maybe an extra cd with rarities for the fans).
Not a random sample from the tour. I don't know why they never did that. Maybe because they aimed for the tourists?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 30, 2021 18:27

Stoneage
Stones live albums has always come across as tourist souvenirs to me. I always wanted a complete concert (and maybe an extra cd with rarities for the fans).
Not a random sample from the tour. I don't know why they never did that. Maybe because they aimed for the tourists?

Not really. There are many many complete shows. Almost all the dvds come with just an audio version along with extra cuts

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2021 19:23

More Hot Rocks
Stoneage

Not really. There are many many complete shows. Almost all the dvds come with just an audio version along with extra cuts

Sure, from "Four Flicks" and onwards. But not before that. Except for bootlegs of course. And maybe "Love You Live" which was a double LP.

Date: August 30, 2021 19:57

Stoneage

This is that extra cd, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 30, 2021 20:37

Stoneage

Quite the opposite in this case. They were always getting flak for putting out a live album from every tour so the selling point when it was released was that they purposefully didnt include any songs that had been on a Stones live release for about 20 years (ie, since 'Love You Live')

The album tanked. Probably the worst selling and lowest charting Stones album ever to that point (and probably still is). Pity - its a good selection of performances for the most part.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 30, 2021 21:03

Gazza
Stoneage

Quite the opposite in this case. They were always getting flak for putting out a live album from every tour so the selling point when it was released was that they purposefully didnt include any songs that had been on a Stones live release for about 20 years (ie, since 'Love You Live')

The album tanked. Probably the worst selling and lowest charting Stones album ever to that point (and probably still is). Pity - its a good selection of performances for the most part.

I bought it when it came out. I love the opening especially with "Fanfare for the Common Man" It's raw 70's at it's drug infused best. You gotta love the El Macambo album side, and yes, I always wanted more, including missing numbers. Until the internet all this info was not really available. But that's how live albums were made back in those days due to space limitations on the record. I love it.

Date: August 30, 2021 21:08

Right. You're talking about LYL. Which didnt tank. I'm referring to NS - which did. smiling smiley

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 30, 2021 21:19

I love No Security...great song selection, mainly warhorse-free, one of my favourite live Stones albums.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 30, 2021 22:13

One thing about No Security it was recorded during the BTB tour and used to promote the No Security tour. I wonder of a live album from another tour was ever used to promote a different tour.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: August 30, 2021 22:30

rocks off edit is because they trainwecked that part live. you can hear it on the bootleg version. they fixed succesfully in the dvd, but edited it out un the cd. weird.

CYHMK on live licks is ronnie as usual, not an open g guitar. urban legend case here.

Date: August 30, 2021 22:39

dedospegajosos
rocks off edit is because they trainwecked that part live. you can hear it on the bootleg version. they fixed succesfully in the dvd, but edited it out un the cd. weird.

CYHMK on live licks is ronnie as usual, not an open g guitar. urban legend case here.

That was Live Licks, and nothing about that edit was successful, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: August 30, 2021 22:43

DandelionPowderman
dedospegajosos

That was Live Licks, and nothing about that edit was successful, imo smiling smiley

yes, I mean the dvd solution was a success compared with the disaster of the live licks cd.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 30, 2021 23:52

Gazza
Right. You're talking about LYL. Which didnt tank. I'm referring to NS - which did. smiling smiley

My bad, must be the excessive heat and humidity. While were on it, what did you think of LYL when it came out and compared to what's been released to date.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 31, 2021 00:05

More Hot Rocks
One thing about No Security it was recorded during the BTB tour and used to promote the No Security tour. I wonder of a live album from another tour was ever used to promote a different tour.

Still Life...recorded during US Tour '81 and released summer '82 to promote the upcoming
European Tour...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 31, 2021 00:18

No Security and the second disc of live licks make a great pair.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 31, 2021 01:14

All in all pretty boring. The Double Door gig would have been a better release.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 31, 2021 02:04

The guest sax player is pretty good on WOAF

Date: August 31, 2021 03:18

The Sicilian
Gazza

My bad, must be the excessive heat and humidity. While were on it, what did you think of LYL when it came out and compared to what's been released to date.

It came out in 1977 which was a few months before I bought my first Stones record and a couple of years before I bought it

I've never really cared for it - aside from the El Mocambo side, which I think is incredible. Mick's vocals are mostly awful - which is even more remarkable since quite a lot of them were re-done in the studio.

I dont think its a good representation of the shows that were used for that record.

Date: August 31, 2021 03:29

dedospegajosos

There was an original track listing circulated for 'Live Licks' which consisted of something like 33 songs, including 'Parachute Woman' from the Boston Orpheum show. An album with that many songs spread over two 80-minute discs is always going to have some songs edited (a practice the Stones have done on most live albums)

In the end they released a 23-song double-CD clocking in at just 109 minutes. Instead of restoring the songs to their proper lengths, it just seems that they just dropped ten songs and released the rest without even bothering to do so.

Its incredible that they put their name to a release which none of them had listened to before approving it because no one with functioning ears could possibly have listened to that edit on 'Rocks Off' and thought it was worthy of putting on an album.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 31, 2021 03:34

Saint Of Me has saved my life a few times…whenever I’m falling asleep driving, I put it on repeat and sing along, loudly and badly. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home