Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: RIP to George Martin
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 9, 2016 15:21

sad smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 9, 2016 15:32

RIP Mr. Martin. Thanks so much for all of your work to bring us such wonderful music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 9, 2016 16:44

Macca's statement : [www.paulmccartney.com]

Hadn't heard that story about the arrangement of Yesterday, nice words overall but someone should really tell him that one shouldn't be "proud" in a tribute (also in the Bowie tribute where it sounded eve worse...) replacing it by "thanfull" here would have been better, no?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:19

gotdablouse
Macca's statement : [www.paulmccartney.com]

Hadn't heard that story about the arrangement of Yesterday, nice words overall but someone should really tell him that one shouldn't be "proud" in a tribute (also in the Bowie tribute where it sounded eve worse...) replacing it by "thanfull" here would have been better, no?

I don't personally think there's anything wrong with his tribute. In fact, I think its fantastic. Its not too morbid, as it shouldn't be, and really shows his genius. The word "proud" makes sense. I would be proud to know George Martin and David Bowie. Its a just a different way of saying you're thankful. Its not like you're taking credit for anything. But thats just my interpretation. I thought it was beautiful.

EDIT: I'll admit I do see MORE what you mean in the David Bowie tribute, but again I just chock it up to the fact that he's writing it quick and he doesn't mean it to be anymore more than thankful. But yes, in the Bowie one it sounds a bit odd, here I don't even notice it. It might just be a British thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 17:21 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:23

RIP music legend George Martin, a fine gentleman and record producer who defined the job for classic rock. He along with Klaus Voormann and Brian Epstein was among the first to recognize the beginnings of the Beatle phenomena that became the greatest show biz act in history. Martin delivered his artists a full palette of sonic color, encouraged invention and despite his stoic demeanor was a fearless, nurturing leader. Greatest record producer ever? Certainly. A very sad day indeed.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:36

DoomandGloom
RIP music legend George Martin, a fine gentleman and record producer who defined the job for classic rock. He along with Klaus Voormann and Brian Epstein was among the first to recognize the beginnings of the Beatle phenomena that became the greatest show biz act in history. Martin delivered his artists a full palette of sonic color, encouraged invention and despite his stoic demeanor was a fearless, nurturing leader. Greatest record producer ever? Certainly. A very sad day indeed.

well put!

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:40

Thank you Mr. Martin.You were a true innovator in musical production.Your influence on this music we love is tremendous.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:43

DoomandGloom
the greatest show biz act in history.

Hmmm, did they ever play in Vegas?

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 9, 2016 17:55

I wouldn't call it sad. He was an incredibly successful and highly respected man in every aspect of his life. A real gentleman and humble as well. He lived to 90 years old. We should actually celebrate his life instead of mourning his death.

Question : How was George Martin paid for his work with The Beatles? Was he salaried by the record company? Was he paid a negotiated fee per individual album? Did he get royalties? Who paid him, The Beatles or the record company?

Re: OT: RIP George Martin
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 9, 2016 18:06

Rest in peace, Sir George Martin

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 9, 2016 18:12

Sad news...But John has certainly something going on up there...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 9, 2016 18:15

Bungo
I wouldn't call it sad. He was an incredibly successful and highly respected man in every aspect of his life. A real gentleman and humble as well. He lived to 90 years old. We should actually celebrate his life instead of mourning his death.

Question : How was George Martin paid for his work with The Beatles? Was he salaried by the record company? Was he paid a negotiated fee per individual album? Did he get royalties? Who paid him, The Beatles or the record company?
at first he was a staff guy who worked for EMI on salary. Around 1966 he went independent from EMI and worked as a free lancer and negotiated his own deal with artists.

Date: March 9, 2016 18:19

Koen
DoomandGloom

Circus De Soleil?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 18:21 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2016 18:37

DoomandGloom
Bungo

at first he was a staff guy who worked for EMI on salary. Around 1966 he went independent from EMI and worked as a free lancer and negotiated his own deal with artists.

I never knew this until reading about it yesterday, but he was also recording some experimental music prior to meeting the Beatles:
Here's the b-side of a single he made with Maddalena Fagandini ( "Ray Cathode" ):

Ray Cathode (George Martin) - Waltz In Orbit

Quite a catchy little ditty - my new favorite song of the day! thumbs up

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 9, 2016 19:02

RIP George Martin, Yes He Definitely Held The Title of 5th Beatle. He was there through it all, getting the sounds they wanted when needed...

Date: March 9, 2016 19:10

DoomandGloom
Koen
DoomandGloom

Circus De Soleil?

No, the Beatles. I don't associate them with being a 'show biz act'.

Date: March 9, 2016 19:33

Koen
DoomandGloom
Koen
DoomandGloom

Circus De Soleil?

No, the Beatles. I don't associate them with being a 'show biz act'.
juat semantics my friend. I mean to say they were bigger than rock and roll. The greatest rock and roll band is the Stones.

Date: March 9, 2016 19:35

Got ya thumbs up

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 9, 2016 19:42

A legendary and all-time great record producer, encompassing several decades.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 9, 2016 19:44

Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, and all that other lavishness could never have been made without him. The Beatles owe him a lot.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 9, 2016 22:45

A quiet and understated but massive contribution to the development of popular music, especially here in Britain. He lived s few miles away from me in a small village. RIP George, a well lived and very productive life. What a great body of work he's left beind for current and future generations to enjoy.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 9, 2016 23:06

Bungo

He was a salaried record producer. He had to leave EMI and set up his own AIR studios in order to get any royalties.
It was at his AIR studio in Montserrat that the Stones recorded "Steel Wheels".
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: FOGGY ()
Date: March 9, 2016 23:48

Thank you Sir George.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 10, 2016 00:35

Manx thanx for your work with The Beatles.

RIP Sir George Martin

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 00:56

There is no Beatles sound as we all came to know it without Sir George. He was a wise and gifted man.

God bless.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 10, 2016 01:00

Sgt Pepper's remains the most mind-blowing album ever created, and Martin's contribution to the Beatles cannot be over-stated. I doubt many of us would have heard of them were it not for him.

Drew

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 10, 2016 01:48

The Beatles liberated you and you liberated The Beatles. A match made in heaven. What else is there to say?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 10, 2016 02:00

very sad but he did live a very long life...heard it on the news this morning...ironically the same time as they announced Vancouver kicking off the new Paul McCartney tour.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2016 02:16

What an amazing and productive life he led! George could interprit the bazaar and strange imaginations of the Fab Four and created a rich soundscape that changed the world. But he had bad taste in ties.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 10, 2016 03:37

Much respect for this obviously talented and dear man. He definitely introduced the world to just what a gifted Producer could do. Many of us had no idea what a Producer even was before he touched our lives with his brilliant arrangements and orchestral touches. He turned the Beatles from a beautiful, matte black and white 4x6 photo into a dazzling, glossy colored 8x10.

We definitely lost a giant today. I celebrate his long and productive life but must admit, a little piece of me died with him when I heard the news. RIP Sir Martin.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home