Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 9, 2020 11:50

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
Flashpoint is a good album but the metronome is too high in the mix

Is there such a thing as "too much Charlie"? winking smiley

Never, but I don't care too much for "mechanical Charlie"

You must really love the 1981/82 tours, then winking smiley

Those I don't like for aesthetic reasons. I believe Charlie is the Stone who still gets better every year. One of his best performances was SMU at Glastonbury. I've yet to see any drummer do something even remotely similar

Charlie has been playing SMU note for note the same way since the late 1990's. Each and every fill, each and every crash its note for note the same.

That's what I call mechanical. In 1981 he still had that swing and looseness.

Mathijs

Agreed. However, the beat he laid down on all the faster songs in 1981/82 sound somewhat "robotic" - hence the metronome joke.

Well, what can a drummer do when the guitarist starts a RnR song at 170 BPM....

Mathijs

Date: January 9, 2020 15:09

Exactly! smiling smiley

Stadium on Flashpoint centerfold picture
Posted by: Sami ()
Date: April 3, 2020 22:09

Hi guys!

What stadium is it?

Thanks,

Sami

Re: Stadium on Flashpoint centerfold picture
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 3, 2020 22:28

L.A. Coliseum?

Re: Stadium on Flashpoint centerfold picture
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 3, 2020 22:35

Yep, in the Flashpoint-picture are only the 7 arches left from the main arch to see (behind the Stage):

[en.Wikipedia.org]

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: May 2, 2020 08:03

liddas
GasLightStreet
I'm still in shock - SHOCK! - that the awful Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen made the CD album.

I'm in shock that they were not included in the vinyl version …

C

I have the Argentine edition and it comes with Rock And a Hard Place and Can`t Be Seen, but the YCAGWYW version is a shortened version

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 3, 2020 12:09

Haven't listened Flashpoint since 1991. I think it's a horrible live album. Too clean to be a Stones live album. I'd rather listen to those vault releases or bootlegs. Perhaps Continental Drift and Start Me Up are the best parts of it. Although Still Life is way too short I'd prefer that instead. I remember back then how it was a huge disappointment when I first noticed they started to use e.g. backing vocalists. It really was the first moment towards the Las Vegas style era and IMO especially since 1997 it really has been that way. Voodoo Lounge tour still had some great moments (like quite different kind of opening number Not Fade Away).

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 3, 2020 12:42

One of the best if no t best live versions of Jumping Jack Flash is on Flashpoint

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: May 3, 2020 12:45

Yeah, a real shame they actually started to take their music seriously, but I agree on the sound on the album. Way too polished and thin. The musicianship however, is excellent. (A considerable amount of overdubs, I know.) The Tokyo Dome release is much better soundwise.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 3, 2020 12:47

Love Factory Girl version.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 3, 2020 13:08

I am disappointed by this live album. They had so much great stuff but most of the songs were edited and overdubbed (like Nico Zentgraf notes). A mix from different shows, shortened Clapton solo, audience from "Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out" mixed in etc.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 3, 2020 15:42

Too slick, too polished, and, but for Factory Girl and Red Rooster, rendered unnecessary by the Tokyo 90 releases. Too many bad Steel Wheels songs. Almost entirely lacking in grit.

Date: May 3, 2020 15:46

I was 19 in 1989.
Already at that time I was wondering what could Leavell play on this guitars track with this awful synthetic-sounding "piano" grinning smiley

GasLightStreet
They shoulda used the Atlantic City Start Me Up...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 15:54 by powerage78.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 3, 2020 16:14

Taylor1
One of the best if no t best live versions of Jumping Jack Flash is on Flashpoint

Really. All I hear is a too long rote toothless rendition of Jumpin' Jack Flash that has ZERO of what made it such a great live song in the beginning.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 3, 2020 16:44

I love SMU, PIB, and Ruby from this album. Also, Highwire.

Coulda done without Sad, Rock and Hard Place, and Can't be Seen.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 3, 2020 17:05

In my opinion this is not their best live album but it isn't bad either. It gives us a somewhat stylized representation of what the Stones were doing from the '89 comeback on: a return to pop a la '66/'67 (less rock 'n' roll) and, more importantly, they tried to stay as close as possible to the studio versions. In that sense it was a rather unique record, compared to Still Life, Love You Live and Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 3, 2020 17:31

Start Me Up versions lacks the intensity versus such as Still Life. It should be a requirement the the lyric never , never seeeeeeehn should be the standard of that song, which album lacks

Although, listensible and CBS is exceptionable- It is not magic like Still Life or GYYYO. No continuity to this album whatsoever.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 3, 2020 19:55

Steel Wheels was my first tour, and Flashpoint was my first live album. A *lot* of personal excitement around those two years, with anticipation for new solo albums following right on the heels of Flashpoint and At The Max.

I’m no doubt in the minority, but I love the polished sound of that era. At that point in my early teens, I hadn’t heard any bootlegs of prior tours. So it was kind of surprising, later on, to learn that they didn’t always sound that way!

I wish Flashpoint had included Undercover, One Hit, Dead Flowers, Mixed Emotions, Happy. Almost Hear You Sigh would’ve been preferable to Sad Sad Sad. I didn’t love the versions of Can’t Be Seen and Rock and a Hard Place that were included.

So, in that sense, the collection was kind of a missed opportunity. But the overall sound and presentation — I’ve got no problem with it. Just the right balance of house, soundboard, audience noise. Charlie’s kit sounds amazing — perhaps the best it ever sounded. Keith was in top form as a player. I could go on!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 19:57 by MelBelli.

Date: May 3, 2020 21:47

Still find the vinyl release, without Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen, very good. Factory Girl is a gem. Start Me Up on this tour is to date their only good version of it, imo. Paint It, Black is excellent.

Too bad they didn't include the fantastic rendition of 2000 Light Years From Home from the Highwire b-side.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 3, 2020 22:22

DandelionPowderman

Too bad they didn't include the fantastic rendition of 2000 Light Years From Home from the Highwire b-side.

I love that one, too. When you think of the sheer variety of that setlist, it’s impressive.

Date: May 3, 2020 23:23

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

I love that one, too. When you think of the sheer variety of that setlist, it’s impressive.

Good that there was an abundance of singles w/ b sides so we have much more than just that album. At the time I was a bit disappointed that they didn't release a double cd of it all.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 03:15

I generally don't like official live albums, they always preferred bootlegs that have those raw sounds and no overdubs.
In Argentina, this album was widely accepted by a new generation who expected to meet them with a show in a stadium in Argentina.
It sounds good, but they should have included Dead Flowers, Undercorver, and One Hit.
At least, that is the way I see it!

Date: May 4, 2020 12:35

Highwire is a great rock tune IMO.

Date: May 4, 2020 19:20

thumbs up
powerage78
Highwire is a great rock tune IMO.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2020 19:33

Chris Fountain
Start Me Up versions lacks the intensity versus such as Still Life. It should be a requirement the the lyric never , never seeeeeeehn should be the standard of that song, which album lacks

Although, listensible and CBS is exceptionable- It is not magic like Still Life or GYYYO. No continuity to this album whatsoever.

That's funny. I find the FLASHPOINT version to be way more intense - and musical. Maybe you're confusing the overall slopfest of 1981 for intensity - some songs came across fantastically with the rushed more rock playing (Under My Thumb, LSTNT, Let Me Go, Twenty Flight Rock) while others were fast clunky and uninvolved (Shattered, Start Me Up, Satisfaction).

Date: May 4, 2020 20:21

Yeah, Start Me Up is one of the songs that were reasonably good on Flashpoint, as opposed to the somewhat sloppy Still Life version. Still, it sounds like a Sesame Street song compared to the studio version smiling smiley

Still Life, btw, might just be my favourite live album.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 5, 2020 00:16

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

Too annoying, from what I recall, they edit the b-side, cutting like a minute or two off the song -- the rip from the Terrifying Pay Per View has the entire song!

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: May 5, 2020 03:44

LeonidP
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

Too annoying, from what I recall, they edit the b-side, cutting like a minute or two off the song -- the rip from the Terrifying Pay Per View has the entire song!
ive been trying to find that b-side for a while with no success.
Isint it from barcelona 1990

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 5, 2020 05:02

rebelhipi
LeonidP
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

It could be. I didn't mean the b-side was from the AC show, just that it is a chopped version, and I was comparing it to the great Terrifying version, i.e. full length. I have the b-side on vinyl (and possibly cd?) but i'd have to dig it out to check if it lists where it is from.

Date: May 5, 2020 18:59

LeonidP
rebelhipi
LeonidP
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

It could be. I didn't mean the b-side was from the AC show, just that it is a chopped version, and I was comparing it to the great Terrifying version, i.e. full length. I have the b-side on vinyl (and possibly cd?) but i'd have to dig it out to check if it lists where it is from.

My cd copy doesn't list anything. But I have a tape of the Barcelona show and I do think it is that version that they cut up and put on the single.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home