Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 27, 2019 10:10

Listened to this a bunch tonight. Vinyl copies of albums will always get more effort from me listening wise than CDs. Dunno why that be the case, but so it is. Sounds fresh! Hamgwire is a better track than I recalled. 20% off on vinyl shopping today so I splurged a bit!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2019 10:29

This and Still Life I played to death upon release. Of course now I'm spoiled by full concert albums. These hold a special place in history for me. Even though I haven't played them for a while. Think I'll pull out the vinyl and give them a spin.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2019 23:19

Paddy
Listened to this a bunch tonight. Vinyl copies of albums will always get more effort from me listening wise than CDs. Dunno why that be the case, but so it is. Sounds fresh! Hamgwire is a better track than I recalled. 20% off on vinyl shopping today so I splurged a bit!

Hamgwire?

Is that some sort of amalgam of Hang Fire, High Wire and a hamburger?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 28, 2019 01:02

treaclefingers
Paddy

Hamgwire?

No, it’s just typing on an iPhone.
cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2020 16:09

Paddy
treaclefingers
Paddy

Hamgwire?

No, it’s just typing on an iPhone.
cool smiley

smoking smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 6, 2020 12:35

I bought it the day it came out, back in 1991. I have probably heard it 1.000 times;I love it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2020 15:21

DandelionPowderman
The vinyl release is very good (without Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen).

That is hilarious! Awful songs.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 6, 2020 15:25

To me Can't be Seen is a marquis KR song Very good highlight of FP - but I despise the SMU version on this record.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:43

Chris Fountain
To me Can't be Seen is a marquis KR song Very good highlight of FP - but I despise the SMU version on this record.

I needed a laugh - and that provided it!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 7, 2020 10:28

The whole album [and the tour for that matter] suffers from sounding abit like like a very good covers band.

They knocked too many rough edges off.

Date: January 7, 2020 15:31

I'm still in shock - SHOCK! - that the awful Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen made the CD album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 7, 2020 15:37

GasLightStreet
I'm still in shock - SHOCK! - that the awful Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen made the CD album.

I'm in shock that they were not included in the vinyl version …

C

Date: January 7, 2020 15:48

liddas
GasLightStreet

C

Oh. And why is that? 2 other songs would've had to have been removed. They made the correct choice in not including those 2, although Little Red Rooster is a waste of space.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 7, 2020 16:04

GasLightStreet
liddas
GasLightStreet

C

Oh. And why is that? 2 other songs would've had to have been removed. They made the correct choice in not including those 2, although Little Red Rooster is a waste of space.

I love both Hard Place and Seen, but that's not the point.

First, it is surprising not to have a Keith song on the vinyl version.

Second, as it was the Steel Wheels tour postcard, and they needed at least one SW song, it is surprising they chose Sad Sad Sad which indeed is quite sad.

Agree that Rooster is a waste of space.

I would have put 2000 years, Play with fire and undercover in place of Miss You, Rooster and You can't Always Get What you want.

C

Date: January 7, 2020 16:30

liddas
GasLightStreet
liddas
GasLightStreet

C

I love both Hard Place and Seen, but that's not the point.

First, it is surprising not to have a Keith song on the vinyl version.

Second, as it was the Steel Wheels tour postcard, and they needed at least one SW song, it is surprising they chose Sad Sad Sad which indeed is quite sad.

Agree that Rooster is a waste of space.

I would have put 2000 years, Play with fire and undercover in place of Miss You, Rooster and You can't Always Get What you want.

C

Although Sad Sad Sad is Stones-by-numbers it is superiour to RAAHP. I would've preferred Mixed Emotions and Happy.

Play With Fire was one of the better B-sides. UOTN is bland, and the overdubs make it worse. I actually like how Miss You turned out on FLASHPOINT - it's not 300 minutes long like it was at the shows.

FLASHPOINT redo:
Start Me Up
Bitch
Tumbling Dice
Harlem Shuffle
Miss You
Mixed Emotions
Play With Fire
I Just Want To Make Love To You
YCAGWYW
Factory Girl
Happy
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Brown Sugar

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 7, 2020 17:56

I hated Rock And A Hard Place when it first came out, but now I like it. I can't explain exactly why. The guitars are in your face, and there's a unique roll to it. It's one of the few Stones songs that I've changed my opinion on.

I've always really enjoyed the "can you hit me one time...?" bit at the end of Satisfaction on this album. I think that's my favorite live version of Satisfaction.

Date: January 8, 2020 03:12

jahisnotdead
I hated Rock And A Hard Place when it first came out, but now I like it. I can't explain exactly why. The guitars are in your face, and there's a unique roll to it. It's one of the few Stones songs that I've changed my opinion on.

I've always really enjoyed the "can you hit me one time...?" bit at the end of Satisfaction on this album. I think that's my favorite live version of Satisfaction.

I really dug it... in 1989. Bought the 12", the CD single, made sure to tape the video on the VCR from whatever show it was on. It has a nice bridge. After FLASHPOINT came out... it started to change. I found myself listening to Cook Cook Blues more than the edit or proper remix versions. Once VOODOO LOUNGE came out I found the song to be just as cheesy as Winning Ugly - it's sickly calculated, too clean, too jingly, too 'it sounds like the Stones' but as a dance song that isn't anything near a dance song.

And the title... who the hell writes a song about being stuck between a rock and a hard place? That's just bunk.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 8, 2020 03:34

It shows them tightening up from the sloppy play of some prior tours. Pretty lively versions of some fun songs, including Little Red Rooster with Clapton. Wish Gimme Shelter would have been on it. Hard to say you hate this album and love other live albums unless you are filtering it highly subjectively based on your own life. It rips.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 8, 2020 06:12

Not great, of course, however it has a special place for me in my Stones history ... I was thrilled at the time w/ the song selection, many tracks (counting the b-sides) that they hadn't either done in a while. And some never released before, live, not at that time anyway.

examples:
Sad Sad Sad
Ruby Tuesday
2000 Light Years
Factory Girl
Can't Be Seen
Little Red Rooster
Paint It Black
Undercover

It really makes for a great contrast to the previously released official live albums!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 8, 2020 08:34

The days it was released no one would argue how many live recordings would be to come (incl. video material). Until this day we had the live albums from the 1966, 1969, 1975/76 and 1981 tours (officially). Hence, it was great to have a new live record back then.
I very much liked the album - better than I do today. Friends of mine even bought a giant poster of the album cover that remained on my bedroom wall for years :-)
Overally speaking, it's not one of their best live albums but a pretty good one.

Date: January 8, 2020 10:30

Shott
It shows them tightening up from the sloppy play of some prior tours. Pretty lively versions of some fun songs, including Little Red Rooster with Clapton. Wish Gimme Shelter would have been on it. Hard to say you hate this album and love other live albums unless you are filtering it highly subjectively based on your own life. It rips.

To me Little Red Rooster is stale and boring, including Clapton.

Compared to El Mocambo and the studio version it falls flat. But I really liked that they were playing the song on the tour. But the sterile sound, carried by the synthetic-sounding "piano" is not for me.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 8, 2020 10:45

Flashpoint is a good album but the metronome is too high in the mix

Date: January 8, 2020 10:48

Nikkei

Is there such a thing as "too much Charlie"? winking smiley

Date: January 8, 2020 11:32

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Never, but I don't care too much for "mechanical Charlie"

Date: January 8, 2020 11:37

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

You must really love the 1981/82 tours, then winking smiley

Date: January 8, 2020 11:57

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Those I don't like for aesthetic reasons. I believe Charlie is the Stone who still gets better every year. One of his best performances was SMU at Glastonbury. I've yet to see any drummer do something even remotely similar

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 8, 2020 15:55

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Those I don't like for aesthetic reasons. I believe Charlie is the Stone who still gets better every year. One of his best performances was SMU at Glastonbury. I've yet to see any drummer do something even remotely similar

Charlie has been playing SMU note for note the same way since the late 1990's. Each and every fill, each and every crash its note for note the same.

That's what I call mechanical. In 1981 he still had that swing and looseness.

Mathijs

Date: January 8, 2020 15:58

Mathijs
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei

Charlie has been playing SMU note for note the same way since the late 1990's. Each and every fill, each and every crash its note for note the same.

That's what I call mechanical. In 1981 he still had that swing and looseness.

Mathijs

Agreed. However, the beat he laid down on all the faster songs in 1981/82 sound somewhat "robotic" - hence the metronome joke.

Date: January 8, 2020 16:09

That is just not true. It's played different when it's used as an opener vs later in the set for starters. I distinctly remember a fill he did right after Rons solo at Hyde Park 1. I was still trying to process how frail they looked six years on and then he did that break and I was thinking he was going to have a heart attack right then and there. It sounds great on the boot, really something out of the ordinary

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 9, 2020 08:36

jahisnotdead

I love that Satisfaction ending too. Second maybe to the patter that Mick runs down in the version from the Gimme Shelter film.

I also LOVE the Sympathy. I think it's an edit of the Japan 1990 show as I recall. The solo is Keith at his best in the later years. Sadly not to be matched again.

T@3

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home