Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Warhorses
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2016 22:33

How about an established list of warhorses, debatable most likely but then again most likely agreed on, and, I suppose, almost or near warhorses? And a conclusion to figure out exactly what makes a warhorse - a song played on most tours, regardless of its release date or tours it wasn't played (Satisfaction, for example).

This seems reasonable - songs you can expect to hear live over the course of a tour or several tours but not necessarily in a row (as hind site shows):

Satisfaction
Paint It Black
Let's Spend The Night Together
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Tumbling Dice
Happy
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking

Songs that are sub-almost-near-warhorses (songs played from an album more so than others... All Down The Line probably does not qualify, for example):

Angie
Beast Of Burden
Shattered
Waiting On A Friend
Out Of Control (certainly the newest warhorse, eh?)

One can imagine if the early 1964-67 set lists were to be included, considering that block of touring, early-era warhorses would be sans the others could be:

Route 66
Not Fade Away
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Little Red Rooster
The Last Time
19th Nervous Breakdown
Get Off Of My Cloud

By all means, copy and tweak but this may be a reasonable list. It's not a big deal - it's their HITS! It's what they've played the most of the most over the years! It's HOT ROCKS, it's MADE IN THE SHADE, it's REWIND, it's FORTY LICKS! The big songs people know.

Re: Warhorses
Date: February 23, 2016 23:20

"Waiting On a Friend" is not anywhere close to a warhorse. It has been performed at less than 10 concerts outside of the 1981 tour.

Off of the top of my head 2 times in 1997,once in 2002,once in 2003,once in 2005,a few times in 2007,once in 2013,and once in 2014. Am I missing any?? No performances of the song in 1982 as far as I am aware. Not much more than 10 times total since Hampton '81,maybe less actually.

Date: February 23, 2016 23:48

Warhorses are songs they perform every night, or nearly every night - aka songs that they know they'll win the audience over with.

Therefore, songs like WH, LSTNT, YGMR, H or Angie are not warhorses, imo - they are rather frequently played songs.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 23, 2016 23:57

A few debatable assertions here.

I wonder why 'All Down The Line' 'does not qualify' when it has been played on each of the eight most recently completed tours and on fifteen of the eighteen tours since its release in 1972.

With regards to ballads, 'Wild Horses' and 'Angie' should switch places, if one of them is going to be considered a warhorse:

'Angie' has been played live nearly one hundred times more than 'Wild Horses', the latter not featuring on the setlists for four consecutive tours, covering a period including the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

'Live With Me', 'Rip This Joint', 'Star Star' and 'Slipping Away' are all examples of songs that have been played live by the Stones more frequently than 'Wild Horses'.

Olly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 00:04 by Olly.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 00:13

You can add Bitch to the list of "Not Quite" Warhorses but getting there.

I'd say All Down the Line, Live with Me, and Bitch are songs that they plug into sets quite regularly that aren't exactly "Big Hits".

Star Star was played in '73, '75, '76, '78, and a few times in '81. That one got old fast.

I'd say You Got Me Rocking is the only "not quite a Warhorse but getting there" song they have had since Start Me Up.

I always hated the way they played Hang Fire and She's So Cold on the '81/'82 Tours. Its was like they blew right through them. Undercover is probably the one song I've never heard live that I would have loved to have heard. I so wanted Dead Flowers at Indy last year but got a solid version of Let it Bleed instead.

Date: February 24, 2016 02:23

"You Got Me Rocking" is actually going in the opposite direction.

I believe that it was there at one point in the middle of the "A Bigger Bang Tour" but then they finally eased up on it. Almost every show between '94 and some point in '06 or '07. Well,except for 1997 when it was in there but not to the heavy extent that it soon would be included.

Date: February 24, 2016 06:14

Olly

I wonder why 'All Down The Line' 'does not qualify' when it has been played on each of the eight most recently completed tours and on fifteen of the eighteen tours since its release in 1972.

With regards to ballads, 'Wild Horses' and 'Angie' should switch places, if one of them is going to be considered a warhorse:

'Angie' has been played live nearly one hundred times more than 'Wild Horses', the latter not featuring on the setlists for four consecutive tours, covering a period including the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

'Live With Me', 'Rip This Joint', 'Star Star' and 'Slipping Away' are all examples of songs that have been played live by the Stones more frequently than 'Wild Horses'.

So you didn't read all of what I said, specifically "debatable most likely but then again most likely agreed on, and, I suppose, almost or near warhorses? And a conclusion to figure out exactly what makes a warhorse - a song played on most tours, regardless of its release date or tours it wasn't played (Satisfaction, for example)."

They played Wild Horses in 1975, once in 1976 and then 1994 and 1995 and "recently" as well. I figured it was a stretch including it though (it's on practically every hits album so...).

Regardless of Angie being played 100 more times than Wild Horses... that's the point: songs they've played a lot. Not ALL of them have been played 90% of their shows since 1969. Etc.

Date: February 24, 2016 06:16

I wish I could say YGMR isn't but it just is.

They played it at the 12-12-12 MSG "Hurricane" Sandy show for shit's sake. One of TWO SONGS!

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 24, 2016 07:50

Look at the history...these are the 7 Real Warhorses and the few maybes:

Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Start Me Up

It's not a Stones concert without the above:

Here are the 6 maybes that are War Horses Night To Night.
It's Only Rock N Roll
Gimmie Shelter
Sympathy For the Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Street Fighting Man
Midnight Rambler

That's 13 + 2 KR is 15 + 4 alternatives and you have your modern Stones show.

Pecman

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 24, 2016 07:53

You Got Me Rocking is the only post '81 warhorse. Just look at the stats:
[www.setlist.fm]. Out Of Control is another post '81 song coming close to a modern day warhorse. GLS:s list is just about right.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 24, 2016 08:08

I stand corrected...Sympathy For The Devil is Top 7 and Miss You is not.

PECMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 24, 2016 10:17

Without consulting any statistics...

The big set pieces: Sympathy, Midnight Rambler.

The other warhorses: Start Me Up, JJF, Satisfaction, Miss You, HTW, Tumbling Dice, Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter

War ponies: Paint It Black, Angie, Wild Horses, Bitch, It's Only Rock & Roll, YCAGWYW (fast becoming a permanent set piece in its choir version)

New war-foals: You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Control

Date: February 24, 2016 10:23

You got it, Green Lady thumbs up

Date: February 24, 2016 10:35

It makes sense for a Commander, like Sir Michael, to have so many warhorses at his disposal. Like a knight in shining armour...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 24, 2016 10:38

As a matter of interest, I seem to have missed the occasion when, and the reason why, Mick has become the Commander (not that it doesn't suit him, but when did that start?)

Date: February 24, 2016 11:05

When he was knighted in 2003. Sir Michael is a KBE, Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire. Hence the "Commander". But I guess I'm the only one using it here. So you can blame me...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 24, 2016 11:11

War insekts : The Spider and The Fly...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 24, 2016 11:15

I'm A King Bee..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 24, 2016 11:17

DandelionPowderman
I'm A King Bee..

Good One! thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 20:31

the stones are contradictive regarding the setlist issue.

they play many warhorse instead of mix the set list up, which would suit serious fans, but instead play to the casual fans who know the warhorses better than the obscure songs.

then they bring in out of control as a semi warhorse,which many casual fans wouldnt know and leave out famous songs which defined them in the 60,s like not fade away, its all over now, the last time, have you seen your motherbaby, lets spend the night together etc.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 24, 2016 21:53

DandelionPowderman
I'm A King Bee..

The Bee stage is perfect for these nuggets. Bring back the BEE stage!!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 24, 2016 22:18

GasLightStreet
Olly

So you didn't read all of what I said, specifically "debatable most likely but then again most likely agreed on, and, I suppose, almost or near warhorses? And a conclusion to figure out exactly what makes a warhorse - a song played on most tours, regardless of its release date or tours it wasn't played (Satisfaction, for example)."

They played Wild Horses in 1975, once in 1976 and then 1994 and 1995 and "recently" as well. I figured it was a stretch including it though (it's on practically every hits album so...).

Regardless of Angie being played 100 more times than Wild Horses... that's the point: songs they've played a lot. Not ALL of them have been played 90% of their shows since 1969. Etc.

I read it and made what sense I could of it.

Olly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home