Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: We Love You (New)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 20, 2017 21:55

CousinC
Looking wasted was cool then.
And from time to time again . .

Eggzactly!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 20, 2017 22:06

love Satanic Majesties more and more with time. There are clearly some great, great songs. This one is not a 'great' song but it fits in greatly with the excellent, really excellent, stuff presesnted in this affair imo.

i mean it's awkward; half laughable; half sort of perking me ears up a bit; it's intresting period piece and all that; I wouldn't seek it out or stay with it...but i sorta like it!!??? go figure? haha, the Stones.
Great super Beatle harmonies; Charlies' all going Ringo-kinda nuts thru the whole thing and it's EXXCELLENTT!!
HAHA I'm confused by how both insignificant (Monkee Headquarters with a fabulous drummer---a big Revolution #9 long fade...fun stuff w cutting loops of orchestral sounds and all those effects ala psychee dellikkkkkkkkwowwwwman...,.,...) ...dude phase shift those drums!!! groovy!!!!
contrasted with such a real ferocious drum part that is inspired for sure...
...it's no Child of The Moon, lets say that..haha, i mean as far as a 'song' per se...and arrangement per se...but it IS what is IS; it's super deriviative; a super homage and a kind of cash-in folly all at the same time?

great effin drums thruouit; Charlie's getting a workout start to finish; so i love it but i don't really ever honestly seek it out...
..except for maybe an excellent, even funny, with respect honestly, Charlie showcase...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 22:13 by hopkins.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: July 20, 2017 22:40

I love this song. The production is great as well. Bill and Charlie shine, as do all of the musicians. Last night I had a rare occassion to drink in excess and smoke a little too. The loud soundtrack to this Party of One was TSMR and assorted singles from the time.

What a great era this was for the Stones! I've loved TSMR just as much as any of their other albums. I became hooked on the band in 1970. That was a musically such a rich time for me. I was able to delve into their amazing back catalog while enjoying current masterpieces and anticipating more to come. Grateful!

Re: Track Talk: We Love You
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 21, 2017 06:08

The one time they topped Sgt. Pepper.

Date: July 22, 2017 15:19

It is w/o doubt in the Top 20 of alltime Stones tracks for me.
I have always thought that this one could be pulled off live. You have the BU singers. The RIFF translates very well to guitar too. Can you imagine DJ starting that one off on a Fuzz Bass?
What is so brilliant about this song is the obvious input from all these different sides: We got Nicky bringing the original piano riff; we have Mick and Keith, shell-shocked from their recent legal travails, putting it into verse and harmony, and JOHN & PAUL helping out; Charlie really going way out of his normal zone and bringing wild tribal drumming, assisted by Bill in the bass dept; and the real icing is Brian Jones on that Mellotron, and the Mideastern flourishes.
What is best about it, is that it all comes together. Many songs like this were done in studios but never made much sense. This one works.

(PS - this song would be interesting over on that Song writing thread. Because supposedly this is a Nicky Hopkins riff.)

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: December 11, 2019 17:12

Has anyone here ever figured out what is being shouted at the beginning of the song?

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:38

Whenever I hear this song or - just now - read about it, one of the best summers (1967) of my life comes to mind. I had just ended school in Germany (Abitur) and waited to begin studying laws. So my parents gave me the opportunity to attend a holiday school in Weymouth / Dorset to improve my English. During these wonderful weeks with language, music, girls and sometimes some beers I heard this song for the very first time, bought the 17cm - single and brought it back home. I still have it and will put it on my turntable as soon as I will have finished this comment.
Cheeerio, Rüdiger

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:56

Amazing track from beginning to the end.
Unfortunately one of the songs that wouldn't work live, - not from the Stones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:00

TheBadRabbit
Love this tune! Brian and, as Keith once noted, "all that Arabic riff."

I've always heard the lines as:

"We don't care if you hound we
and lock the doors around we."

Me too, Rabbit

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2019 20:11

CousinC
Amazing track from beginning to the end.
Unfortunately one of the songs that wouldn't work live, - not from the Stones.

Unfortunately we'll never know. I'd sure love to hear them attempt it!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 11, 2019 21:53

Disc and Music Echo, August 26, 1967
A reader writes...

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 11, 2019 22:16

Deltics
Disc and Music Echo, August 26, 1967
A reader writes...

grinning smiley

Date: December 11, 2019 22:34

We love you is a beautiful song. thumbs up

So it's Brian playing that eastern sounding mellotron outtro solo. Great Job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 23:04 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2019 03:33

I can't recall if I've ever said this but this song is the audio equivalent of Mick's leering: it has an attitude that no other song, with possible exception to Monkey Man, has: it sounds as a taunt.

It's too bad TSMR didn't have the quality of half of what it has of the likes of this song:

The Rolling Stones 2000 LIGHT YEARS
We Love You
Citadel
2000 Man
Dandelion
She's A Rainbow
2000 Light Years From Home

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 14, 2019 07:30

satanic majesties is a great album, very underrated and much better than the boring peppers album which is gets more credit than it deserves.

also in 1967 stones had many other great songs, lets spend the night together, ruby tuesday, some great stuff on buttons album and some great outtakes and instrumentals including we love you, gold painted finger nails.

amazing how in 1967 the stones were so much better than the beatles yet it is considered the beatles were making their best music while the stones were at a low point, it dosent make sense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2019 08:13

Makes sense to me buttons - the Beatles were on a contiuous roll unlike the Stones who had a few missteps.
While the Beatles evolved naturally from one album to the next, the Stones had several episodes of growing pains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 08:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 14, 2019 08:44

The Beatles Singles 1967

Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever
All You Need Is Love
Hello, Goodbye

The Rolling Stones Singles 1967

Let's Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday
We Love You (UK)
Dandelion (US)
She's A Rainbow (US)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-14 09:11 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2019 08:54

Sgt. Peppers via wiki:

Emphasising its identity as a self-contained work, none of the songs were issued as singles at the time.The album occupied the number one position on the Billboard Top LPs chart in the US for 15 weeks, from 1 July to 13 October 1967.[262]
With 2.5 million copies sold within three months of its release,[263] Sgt. Pepper's initial commercial success exceeded that of all previous Beatles albums.[115] In the UK, it was the best-selling album of 1967[264] and of the decade.

Satanic Majesties via wiki:

Released in December 1967, Their Satanic Majesties Request reached No. 3 in the UK and No. 2 in the US (easily going gold), but its commercial performance declined rapidly.
It was soon viewed as a pretentious, poorly conceived attempt to outdo the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (released in June 1967),

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 14, 2019 08:58

Hairball
Sgt. Peppers via wiki:

Emphasising its identity as a self-contained work, none of the songs were issued as singles at the time.The album occupied the number one position on the Billboard Top LPs chart in the US for 15 weeks, from 1 July to 13 October 1967.[262]
With 2.5 million copies sold within three months of its release,[263] Sgt. Pepper's initial commercial success exceeded that of all previous Beatles albums.[115] In the UK, it was the best-selling album of 1967[264] and of the decade.

Satanic Majesties via wiki:

Released in December 1967, Their Satanic Majesties Request reached No. 3 in the UK and No. 2 in the US (easily going gold), but its commercial performance declined rapidly.
It was soon viewed as a pretentious, poorly conceived attempt to outdo the Beatles and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (released in June 1967),

It's funny because the two albums are pretty different from one another. SATANIC was a true psychedelic effort. While personally I do feel PEPPER is the overall better album compared to SATANIC, PEPPER is very overrated.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 15, 2019 03:51

The Stone's music from this era had a druggy feel, but it was a fun and exciting kind of druggy.

Date: December 15, 2019 13:38

I realized that one of the problems on TSMR is that they sort of forgot about the Bass. The instrument of the Bass.
And that is why all those cuts that feature percussion do not make it. Because they don't have any glue. The opener "Sing this all together" is not a bad song at all. But no Bass. "Lantern", "Gomper", the Jam song, "On with the Show" all cold be better.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 20, 2020 09:35

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 20, 2020 12:58

In retrospect I find Sgt Pepper grossly overrated.The only great songs on it are Lucy in the Sky, Within or Without You and A Day in the Life.The rest is rather overrated . Some of the songs, The Benefit of Mr Kite, She’s Leaving Home, Good Morning Good Morning, Lovely Rita,Fixing a Hole are murky crap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 13:00 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2020 13:12

Heck youre being kind ....
the final track is all ya can really selvage .... salvage

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 09:27 by Rockman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 20, 2020 18:24

Ileft out When I'm 64 which is also garbage.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:09

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:28

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Fantastic. 'Our' His Majesty is channeling Brian perfectly there. Dark and threatening. Brian really makes this track (extra kudos to Nicky as well). No easy pop, a'la SGT. PEPPER at all.

- Doxa

Date: August 21, 2020 09:46

Doxa
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Fantastic. 'Our' His Majesty is channeling Brian perfectly there. Dark and threatening. Brian really makes this track (extra kudos to Nicky as well). No easy pop, a'la SGT. PEPPER at all.

- Doxa

Indeed! Good stuff thumbs up

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: August 24, 2023 22:53

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 24, 2023 23:19

HardRiffin
[youtu.be]

Great punk version always loved this cover

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home