Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: To all concert-goers: using ear plugs or not? Your experiences please!
Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 21, 2016 18:28

So many ways to wreck our ears, too many ways, and once they are wrecked they do not repair like so many other parts. I guess I should take this opportunity to thank whomever/whatever decided to allow my liver to repair itself, that is such a good idea.

It seems like some kids do not understand that ears and hearing are not like the liver (and skin that heals from a cut or damage, broken bones that heal, sick cells the heal themselves to make us well again).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 18:30 by everwest1.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 21, 2016 18:34

I've had tinnitus and hearing loss for years. I can't take it any longer so I'm going to get hearing aids. Feeling very old! For the past few years, I have been wearing ear plugs at concerts but the damage was already done. My question is, do people wear their hearing aids at concerts?

Date: February 21, 2016 18:55

steffialicia
I've had tinnitus and hearing loss for years. I can't take it any longer so I'm going to get hearing aids. Feeling very old! For the past few years, I have been wearing ear plugs at concerts but the damage was already done. My question is, do people wear their hearing aids at concerts?

I am curious about this too. I am not yet where I need a hearing aid, but I will soon, dang it. So this is a good question.

I guess at least the hearing aid technology has gotten really good, so we dont have to use a
horn stuck in our ears anymore, so that is nice... but I dread having to finally get one.
And then this question of hearing aid combined with plugs.

It is like... I have worn contact lenses forever and they worked perfecto!! but then.... sad smiley I got "to that age" where I started to not be able to see tiny writing (and getting smaller and tinyer all the time) so I had to obtain some of those reading glasses, which I use on top of my contacts. It is all like some sort of prank, the reward for bothering to stay alive.

anyway...
I am curious about the hearing aids at concerts too,
it is info I will need sooner than later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 18:59 by everwest1.

Date: February 21, 2016 19:56

everwest1
steffialicia

I am curious about this too. I am not yet where I need a hearing aid, but I will soon, dang it. So this is a good question.

I guess at least the hearing aid technology has gotten really good, so we dont have to use a
horn stuck in our ears anymore, so that is nice... but I dread having to finally get one.
And then this question of hearing aid combined with plugs.

It is like... I have worn contact lenses forever and they worked perfecto!! but then.... sad smiley I got "to that age" where I started to not be able to see tiny writing (and getting smaller and tinyer all the time) so I had to obtain some of those reading glasses, which I use on top of my contacts. It is all like some sort of prank, the reward for bothering to stay alive.

anyway...

That's a question I have for audiologist. I'll post the answer. Don't know whether to laugh or cry re: horn photo!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 21, 2016 20:03

In the Rio de Janeiro thread someone wrote that his ears are still ringing from how loud it was. This really makes me wonder about Bjornulf.
If somebody gets damage from one single concert, how can it be that Bjornulf isn't almost deaf after hundreds of concerts? I just don't get it.
Does the stapedus get trained if you go to concerts regularly?

Date: February 21, 2016 20:35

steffialicia

That's a question I have for audiologist. I'll post the answer. Don't know whether to laugh or cry re: horn photo!

Thank you steffialicia, I look forward to learning...
I hope you obtain some comfortable, basically invisible and perfectly working hearing mechanisms.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2016 21:16

If it's too loud it's too loud - and ear plugs will help. With some exceptions, I tend to bring them with me to have in case it's too loud.

The hairs laying down is no different from something coming close to your eye - you automatically blink. There's no training the ear, it's a natural process.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 21, 2016 22:34

My advice as a 53 yr old man . I never wore plugs in the 70's or 80's In 89 at Stones show, with "Living Color" opening I noticed after the show the typical ringing that usually goes away. It never went away in my left ear and was and is a major source of stress and anxiety for years. Numerous MRI's to rule out acoustic nueroma, etc..It is so loud that even a device to mask the sound does not work. It can happen to anyone, so be careful. I wear the plugs now, and no doubt it diminished the sound a bit, but it is not worth tinnitis which is a horrible disease.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 22, 2016 10:56

I take plugs to EVERY show I attend since ACDC's Black Ice Tour. After that show I had a ringing that took months to disappear.
Taking them and putting them on before the show starts.
Sometimes, I remove them if I find out I can do without.
For the Stones, I often remove them since the sound is good and not "too" loud, but each his own

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 22, 2016 16:50

My wife loves them. She says it ear plugs cut distortion and distraction and allow her to hear the music in better detail. Most sound systems are very clean anymore (i.e. lacking in distortion and the damage it can cause to ear drums) so I usually forgo them. Except for AC/DC and Motorhead.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 17:55

rbk
My wife loves them. She says it ear plugs cut distortion and distraction and allow her to hear the music in better detail. Most sound systems are very clean anymore (i.e. lacking in distortion and the damage it can cause to ear drums) so I usually forgo them. Except for AC/DC and Motorhead.
Motorhead was always the one band that I wore earplugs for, but I'd take them out for Overkill just to experience the pure sonic assault.

I SHOULD wear them as I've been to over 100 shows and I have mild tinnitus (I'm 37), but I'm just bad about remembering to.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:02

StonedRambler

If somebody gets damage from one single concert, how can it be that Bjornulf isn't almost deaf after hundreds of concerts? I just don't get it.

Everyone's different : tolerance to loud noises is like tolerance to alcohol : some can "take" it some can't (I can't).

Plus the Stones are not that loud as a band. Okay they probbaly were in 73 (when BV first saw them) but now since the 89 comeback.

If you've seen AC/DC Metallica Ministry or... KR in his solo ventures winking smiley you know you need earplugs. Tinnitus can be a torture.

Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:54

About 15 years ago I woke up with a constant ring in both ears - I'm 59 years old now and have been going to concerts since the late 60's - so that is a lot of concerts. Anyway the doctor told me that it was do to ALL the concerts I attended over the years not using earplugs. So use them - I really regret it now!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:16

All this talk has made me activate the volume control function on my iPhone to involuntarily limit the volume from blasting into my skull. I've probably already done quite a bit of damage, but every little bit helps...

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:38

My view, now as a 56 year old gig goer of 40 years plus, is that sound systems are of a much better quality than 'when I was a boy'
I remember watching PIL in 1983 and my ears were assaulted for a couple of days...
...saw Bob Mould 2 weeks ago when the sound was turned up to 11...no problem walking out and talking to daughter...yep, chip off the old block...

Conclusion: my daughter tells me still an issue when the sound system is rubbish and 'old guys' are on the mixing desk...but, in general (and also in my experience in the UK), I do not find it a problem these days...

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:11

Brstonesfan
My advice as a 53 yr old man . I never wore plugs in the 70's or 80's In 89 at Stones show, with "Living Color" opening I noticed after the show the typical ringing that usually goes away.

I think that was an especially loud tour. It was my first-ever Stones show with Living Color and Guns n Roses opening (L.A. Coliseum)...I'd been attending concerts for ten years at that point, but that was the first time I noticed my ears were actually hurting during a show. Some discomfort after, but fortunately it went away. Since then, I've always been ready with the plugs.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:44

I have moderate ringing in my ears once in a while. When I was 18-20, I saw most of the top groups at the time (Zep, Ten Years After, Tull, CCR, Iron Butterfly, and many more) mostly from right in front of the stage. I know that has affected my hearing to some degree. Thankfully, it is not too bad.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 23, 2016 04:42

SomeTorontoGirl
Yes! I use these ones. They don't diminish the sound, actually sounds better with them because they seem to remove the muddiness that excess volume can cause. I used them at all 6 shows last summer (not in Quebec, was too far back), sound was excellent and my hearing was fine immediately afterwards. They do have a cord so harder to lose, come in a little case, never travel without them!

I bought some of these with the foam tips, tried them at AC/DC Saturday, sounded real muffled/muddy, couldn't take it. I wonder if those rubber tipped ones you got allow enough treble through to make it enjoyable.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: February 25, 2016 20:22

Has anyone tried the DUBS version?

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

Posted by: SSJagger ()
Date: February 25, 2016 21:21

I am a nationally certified Audiologist in the USA. My love of music sent me in this direction. My goal is to prevent hearing loss in musicians and concert goers. I have seen the damage. It is bad and irreversible. As for lack of evidence, I think you are wrong. There are tons of studies I won't get into.
The numbness you mention is from steriocilia fusing from damage. It can be temporary, and if you go 24-48 hr between noise exposure, they might unfuse and hearing may come back. Over time it builds up and the 1-3 rows of haircells can fall out causing permanent damage. Tinnitus is a sign of hearing loss. Get your hearing tested and you'll probably have a noise induced notch in the high frequencies. I wear (and make) custom made plugs religiously. What's $100/ a year to prevent hearing loss? Less than one ticket and well worth it. Hearing aids are now about $5000 each and you have to wear two, just like glasses. Wear hearing protection BC as they say, once your hearing is gone, the music is over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-25 21:31 by SSJagger.

Posted by: SSJagger ()
Date: February 25, 2016 21:25

No, the right ones drown out the crowd noise and lowers the sound at a flat response, protecting your hearing and not missing any of the music.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 25, 2016 21:56

Agree 100%. I have diminished hearing in my left ear. Not a thing in the world has helped the tinnitus and my ENT said to take meds to ease the anxiety which did not help.
PS -the 89 tour was very loud and I was 2nd row Keith's side. I had been to many concerts before that show, but it really triggered the permanent damage.

Date: February 25, 2016 23:07

SSJagger
I am a nationally certified Audiologist in the USA. My love of music sent me in this direction. My goal is to prevent hearing loss in musicians and concert goers. I have seen the damage. It is bad and irreversible. As for lack of evidence, I think you are wrong. There are tons of studies I won't get into.
The numbness you mention is from steriocilia fusing from damage. It can be temporary, and if you go 24-48 hr between noise exposure, they might unfuse and hearing may come back. Over time it builds up and the 1-3 rows of haircells can fall out causing permanent damage. Tinnitus is a sign of hearing loss. Get your hearing tested and you'll probably have a noise induced notch in the high frequencies. I wear (and make) custom made plugs religiously. What's $100/ a year to prevent hearing loss? Less than one ticket and well worth it. Hearing aids are now about $5000 each and you have to wear two, just like glasses. Wear hearing protection BC as they say, once your hearing is gone, the music is over.

I was told to get hearing aids at Costco as it will be cheaper. I'm hesitant to do so. Your opinion please?

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: March 8, 2016 14:47

To all concert-goers: using ear plugs or not?
To all concert-players: using ear plugs or not?

Use. period.

[www.acdc.com]

AC/DC TO RESCHEDULE UPCOMING U.S. TOUR DATES
SINGER BRIAN JOHNSON ADVISED BY DOCTORS TO DISCONTINUE TOURING

AC/DC are forced to reschedule the 10 upcoming dates on the U.S. leg of their “Rock or Bust” World Tour. AC/DC’s lead singer, Brian Johnson, has been advised by doctors to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.

Tomorrow's show in Atlanta through Madison Square Garden in New York, NY in early April will be made up later in the year, likely with a guest vocalist. More information regarding these rescheduled shows to come. Current ticket holders can hold on to their tickets for the rescheduled dates or receive a refund at point of purchase.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 8, 2016 16:16

Get these...

[www.earasers.net]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 8, 2016 16:58

Last year I went to over 200 shows so they are something of a necessity for most shows. Something like the Stones in an arena? Not really loud enough.

My right ear is all messed up but I think it might be impacted ear wax. I wear ear plugs to sleep and on the bus and that could cause it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home