Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23
Re: Rio de Janeiro Brazil 20-Feb-2016 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:18

Here's a very short (2 minutes) video with pro-shot footage from Rio:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 22:19 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:29

Very nice! Isn't Darryl very loud in that clip, or is it just me?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:37

You're not alone, I noticed that too.

Here's a megaphoto from the crowd at Rio. There's many very well known faces here, btw. grinning smiley

[player.megafoto.org]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:51

everwest1
The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world, ever.

Saturday's performance was truly above and beyond. It was something special.
There was a special good energy about his show. Maybe it had something to do with the coming full moon or something else, but it was great. The band and back up players were playing great Saturday night.

Even when bands play 80% the same songs show after show, those songs are played live and are played a bit different every night, they are not machines. There are so many variables from the band mood to the humidity and air temperature to the etc etc. What ever it was... on Saturday night I heard the whole concert as they played it and it was better than usual (and they are usually really good)... but Saturday they seemed to be on top of their game in Rio. It was a great show. It is truly amazing, all thing considered, it is truly amazing.

And what about creative artistry?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:53

Awesome.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 01:08

RipThisBone
potus43
Cristiano Radtke

[www.facebook.com]
Meh

thumbs down Meh my ass.
OK, that could be done. But a big "meh" to that list

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 23, 2016 03:39

everwest1
The Rolling Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world, ever.

Saturday's performance was truly above and beyond. It was something special.
There was a special good energy about his show. Maybe it had something to do with the coming full moon or something else, but it was great. The band and back up players were playing great Saturday night.

Even when bands play 80% the same songs show after show, those songs are played live and are played a bit different every night, they are not machines. There are so many variables from the band mood to the humidity and air temperature to the etc etc. What ever it was... on Saturday night I heard the whole concert as they played it and it was better than usual (and they are usually really good)... but Saturday they seemed to be on top of their game in Rio. It was a great show. It is truly amazing, all thing considered, it is truly amazing.

Just from watching the Periscope feed, I felt exactly the same way. They just kicked ass in the last third of the show. If I can get this from a periscope feed and others feel it at the show itself, there must be something to it.

plexi

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 23, 2016 05:25

Thanks for the mega photo. I'm in there.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 23, 2016 08:18

MacLaurens
Very nice! Isn't Darryl very loud in that clip, or is it just me?

Monitor mix probably

Date: February 23, 2016 13:42

Darryl is among connoisseurs an extraordinaire bass player. He is technically thousand light years away from the average bass player.Ok. I have also read that rock music does not need his superb abilities as it is a musical form that does not need so exceptionally gifted musicians. Ok

But come on....after hearing this video....I really miss Bill.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 13:43 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 14:34

emotionalbarbecue
Darryl is among connoisseurs an extraordinaire bass player. He is technically thousand light years away from the average bass player.Ok. I have also read that rock music does not need his superb abilities as it is a musical form that does not need so exceptionally gifted musicians. Ok

But come on....after hearing this video....I really miss Bill.

Bill was far better for the Stones. His playing was somehow unique, very cool. Just listen to Hampton.
But I think Darryl is very comfortable for the other members nowdays. We miss the Stonesish unique Bill sound, but it's very easy for them with Darryl in this Vegas era. He is the absolute professional musician they need on modern era Rolling Stones shows. Just like the background vocalists.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 14:39 by 1962.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:19

Sorry folks, but I don't really miss Bill. I don't even consider him as a better bass player than Darryl. I attend Darryl playing with the Stones since 1994, 22 @#$%& years, so I don't need a particular 2 minutes video to have an appreciation of him. (Just listen Mick "singing" HTW from 'Love You Live' album and you 'll easily conclude that his is a "horrible singer"...).

I'm tired of this nostalgia... I don't miss Bill's superfluous "brooommm" during "Paint it Black" (1989- 90). I think Hampton is basically based on Keith's and Ronnie's job and I really appreciate how the Stones are playing since 1994.
I'm really tired of the "unwritten law" that the fans have to underrate, if not to crucify, all the time new musicians who join the band (once upon a time Ronnie, 20 years later Darryl...), due to nostalgia only...

Bill's playing "was somehow unique"?? I don't think so...

Date: February 23, 2016 16:36

laertisflash
Sorry folks, but I don't really miss Bill. I don't even consider him as a better bass player than Darryl. I attend Darryl playing with the Stones since 1994, 22 @#$%& years, so I don't need a particular 2 minutes video to have an appreciation of him. (Just listen Mick "singing" HTW from 'Love You Live' album and you 'll easily conclude that his is a "horrible singer"...).

I'm tired of this nostalgia... I don't miss Bill's superfluous "brooommm" during "Paint it Black" (1989- 90). I think Hampton is basically based on Keith's and Ronnie's job and I really appreciate how the Stones are playing since 1994.
I'm really tired of the "unwritten law" that the fans have to underrate, if not to crucify, all the time new musicians who join the band (once upon a time Ronnie, 20 years later Darryl...), due to nostalgia only...

Bill's playing "was somehow unique"?? I don't think so...

It's so easy, really, to spot the difference. If you listen to this clip with Darryl and Bill playing the same song, you'll at least know what I'm missing smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:42

dude, that megaphoto is awesome!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:56

DJ does a good job. Every time a mix appears where he is heard clearly we are reminded of this. It is a bit messed up that he is so burried in concert The Stones motive to not showcase him is non-musical and one of their few mis-steps. Still Bill is better in every way. As a genuine member his clout kept the guitars in line, a job which Jagger takes on these days to varying success.Bill's ability to anticipate the changes and telegraph them is the perfect foil for Keith on stage. Like Macca and Enthwistle Wyman is an icon, a giant among bassists in rock and roll history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 16:57 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 17:05

Well said DommandGloom.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: February 23, 2016 17:09

DoomandGloom
DJ does a good job. Every time a mix appears where he is heard clearly we are reminded of this. It is a bit messed up that he is so burried in concert The Stones motive to not showcase him is non-musical and one of their few mis-steps. Still Bill is better in every way. As a genuine member his clout kept the guitars in line, a job which Jagger takes on these days to varying success.Bill's ability to anticipate the changes and telegraph them is the perfect foil for Keith on stage. Like Macca and Enthwistle Wyman is an icon, a giant among bassists in rock and roll history.

thumbs up

I would add Bill's ability to create something special while there isn't really anything exciting going on in the song, i.e. a and d-chords being strummed like in Whip.

Darryl does a good job indeed, that wasn't my point.

Bill also complained about being buried in the mix, especially on records.

Date: February 23, 2016 17:19

Many years ago Bob Dylan has called on The Rolling Stones to reunite with Bill Wyman.
Dylan said the group had become a “funk band” without him.
But, in an interview with The Telegraph, he also revealed that he still regarded the band as “the first and last” great rock and roll band.
“I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band. They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.”
He added: “The Rolling Stones are truly the greatest rock and roll band in the world and always will be. The last too.
“They were the first and the last and no one’s ever done it better.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 17:24 by 1962.

Date: February 23, 2016 18:26

Well, "Dylan said the group had become a “funk band” without him..."", so what 1962? Do your own ears listen to a "funk band", when you're attending the Stones, since 1994? In addition, if I remember correctly, Bill once said that the Stones had become a "hard rock band"... "Funk band", "hard rock band", both or something else? So, we can let Bob and Bill solve this "serious problem"...

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:35

OK

Date: February 23, 2016 18:41

laertisflash
Well, "Dylan said the group had become a “funk band” without him..."", so what 1962? Do your own ears listen to a "funk band", when you're attending the Stones, since 1994? In addition, if I remember correctly, Bill once said that the Stones had become a "hard rock band"... "Funk band", "hard rock band", both or something else? So, we can let Bob and Bill solve this "serious problem"...

You misunderstand.
You do not need to defend the current Rolling Stones sound.
I also love it just like you.
But also you can comment on issues between the two musicians, both great but in different ways.
I think The Rolling Stones nowdays is @#$%& great, but a little different way than in their Wyman years.
The main difference is the bass IMO, so I have to agree with Bob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 18:44 by 1962.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:59

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

thumbs up

I would add Bill's ability to create something special while there isn't really anything exciting going on in the song, i.e. a and d-chords being strummed like in Whip.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up to both of you!

Darryl does a good job indeed. But it is "just" a good job, like a studio musician. Bill is (or better: was), by all accounts, more original, he adds something unique to the Stones sound.

The change from Bill to Darryl was like replacing Keith with a technically extremely gifted guitar player - it would not sound the same.

Posted by: haukej ()
Date: February 23, 2016 19:44

Here is a link to my pictures from Rio. Enjoy and share

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 19:49 by haukej.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:11

alimente
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up to both of you!

Darryl does a good job indeed. But it is "just" a good job, like a studio musician. Bill is (or better: was), by all accounts, more original, he adds something unique to the Stones sound.

The change from Bill to Darryl was like replacing Keith with a technically extremely gifted guitar player - it would not sound the same.

That was a bad comparison. The Stones would not survive without Keith, which they do without Bill.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:19

haukej
Here is a link to my pictures from Rio. Enjoy and share

[www.facebook.com]

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:21

Wild Slivovitz
GasLightStreet
powerage78
Mick is still awesome.
Not Keith solo on SFTD... sad smiley

Keith... not as bad as some other performances... he sticks to the same three note deal as usual.

Yep, just going through the motions, which I can deal with. Apart from the solo, the problem is that the current live renditions of the song look very much like a cabaret act. But hey, if they think it's the way the song should be performed, I won't argue about that!

Anyway, "Gimme Shelter" sounds really good. The two guitar attack outro and the Sasha Allen bit are really powerful!

I agree on all these points. Sympathy and some other numbers (Brown Sugar) just remind you of the days when the Stones'guitarists actually played for the whole song. Keith does have his (sporadic) moments but the thing is that Mick is so good that it covers up what is or isn't going on behind. This Gimmee Shelter starts slow but ends up soaring. And I cannot believe that Mick is not @#$%& ing Sasha, after watching that clip.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:25

potus43
RipThisBone
potus43
Cristiano Radtke

[www.facebook.com]
Meh

thumbs down Meh my ass.
OK, that could be done. But a big "meh" to that list
so if they showed iup at MSG tomorrow to play that list ,,, You would Boycott ???

Date: February 23, 2016 21:01

1962 wrote:

"You misunderstand. You do not need to defend the current Rolling Stones sound.I also love it just like you. But also you can comment on issues between the two musicians, both great but in different ways.I think The Rolling Stones nowdays is @#$%& great, but a little different way than in their Wyman years.
The main difference is the bass IMO, so I have to agree with Bob."

I don't try to defend the current Stones sound. I'm just express my opinion: Bill was not unique as bass player, IMO. We could call Mick unique as performer. We could call Keith unique thanks to his charming "relation" to riffs and to the bluesy feeling, at the same time. We could call Charlie unique thanks to his (almost perfect!) balance between the jazzy"education" and the r'n'r spirit of the band. But, honestly, I don't see any reason why we should call Wyman unique bass player. Sorry, but that's what I believe.

Date: February 23, 2016 21:40

OK, different opinions that's all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 10:12 by 1962.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 23, 2016 23:16

Niek
latvianinexile

This one is extraordinary beautiful

Extraordinary and beautiful indeed. That's Mick Jagger.
Thanks & praises, LatvianinExile

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223Next
Current Page: 22 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home