Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: New Clapton Album - produced by Glyn Johns!!
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 19, 2016 18:08

Good album with nice songs but a little boring

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 19, 2016 18:50

pepganzo

...very boring.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 19, 2016 20:34

bbeliko
It does sound like Ed Sheeran on the record as well.

I like what I hear, of course it's "new" Clapton, so it's a very laid back album, don't expect Cream, or Derek and the Dominos.
Speaking of that, I don't know why people expect people like Clapton, or the Stones, to do what they were doing 50 years ago, no one in real life does, so why should they? In that aspect I think Clapton deserves a lot of respect as an artist, it might seem boring to a lot of people, but this is a man at ease with himself, with his age and his legacy, playing the music he likes and reflecting the way he feels at this stage in life.

I thought the Stones were/are still doing the same as 50 years ago!
That's the problem? (though not for Keith, it seems).

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 19, 2016 20:46

KRiffhard
pepganzo

...very boring.

I don't know if it is a problem that I've with Mr Clapton but I don't like his solo albums. From the other hand when I listen to a Clapton work I don't think about a Cream LP or about the Blind faith's one. But in general also his blues tracks are very boring, close to some JJ Cale's stuff but without Cale's spirit.

I don't know, maybe I just prefer Clapton as a musician, as a performer than as a songwriter and singer. And Clapton is maybe my favourite guitar player.
I love what he did for Howlin Wolf's London Sessions, or in John Mayall's 70th Birthday concert or what he did live with Steve Winwood some years ago.

Anyway I appreciate that he has played more slide guitar in this new album.
As a slide player I think that he has got something of Allman and Cooder too.
I'm curious to hear what he has played in studio with the Stones for their new album.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 19, 2016 21:23

KRiffhard
pepganzo

...very boring.

... and why are we not surprised.

As much as I loved the young EC - he is boring for decades now.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 20, 2016 10:55

I like the album. It's the work of an old man doing what he likes, and doing it well. It's not a flashy record, it's not fast, high energy, but it seems more authentic for an old man's work than old Mick shouting "oh no no you again ....".

resotele

Re: OT : New : Eric Clapton “Can’t Let You Do It”
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 20, 2016 11:27

Come On
Although it sounds like JJ Cale or Bill Wyman, it's Eric Clapton we're talking about.

I'd take JJ over Slowhand any day... Cale wrote a few masterpieces while Clapton's career is riddled with embarrassments.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 20, 2016 15:39

You might not like a lot of his work and you might find him boring as an artist, but I don't think one can reasonably claim Clapton's career is "riddled with embarrassments."

Date: May 20, 2016 15:45

Yeah, that's a stretch – with Cream, Blind Faith, the Dominoes and his best solo work in mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 15:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2016 18:12

resotele
I like the album. It's the work of an old man doing what he likes, and doing it well. It's not a flashy record, it's not fast, high energy, but it seems more authentic for an old man's work than old Mick shouting "oh no no you again ....".

resotele

Yes authentic, and in that sense it's similar to what Keith did with Crosseyed Heart - a great album.

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: May 20, 2016 18:40

dcba
Come On
Although it sounds like JJ Cale or Bill Wyman, it's Eric Clapton we're talking about.

I'd take JJ over Slowhand any day... Cale wrote a few masterpieces while Clapton's career is riddled with embarrassments.
Yes, the worst of them is pretty much creating the rock guitar solo. No Mick Taylor, no Jimi Hendrix, no Duane Allman without such an embarrassment.

Again, seeing how much criticism there is over the Stones studio output in the last 20/30 years, I'd say yes this is much more authentic than the Stones trying to sound like they did 50 years ago (which is what most here seem to want).

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 20, 2016 18:59

Overall it's a nice album with some boring songs.

Date: May 21, 2016 01:13

Rocky Dijon
You might not like a lot of his work and you might find him boring as an artist, but I don't think one can reasonably claim Clapton's career is "riddled with embarrassments."

agreed and imo his last few albums sound like his 70's work just very laid back version of it. only issues i have is clapton has only written, well released, like 6 songs he wrote/co-wrote in the last decade.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 21, 2016 05:40

dcba
Come On

What masterpieces? And his guitar play is a joke at best. The guy is terrible. A 2 year old can play better than Cale. Just watch Cale at the Crossroads festival from 2004 and have a good laugh.

Date: May 21, 2016 06:24

More Hot Rocks
dcba
Come On

What masterpieces? And his guitar play is a joke at best. The guy is terrible. A 2 year old can play better than Cale. Just watch Cale at the Crossroads festival from 2004 and have a good laugh.

cocaine, call me the breeze, after midnight. I think those are masterpieces

Date: May 21, 2016 10:33

keefriffhard4life
Rocky Dijon

agreed and imo his last few albums sound like his 70's work just very laid back version of it. only issues i have is clapton has only written, well released, like 6 songs he wrote/co-wrote in the last decade.

How many songs has M Jagger written in the past decade?

Date: May 21, 2016 11:26

jlowe
keefriffhard4life
Rocky Dijon

How many songs has M Jagger written in the past decade?

that's true but jagger cowrote pretty much every tune on superheavy and that's more writing credit than Clapton has had since 2005. the difference is Clapton has released like 5 albums since 2005 with only 6 writing credits. jagger 1 album with 11. jagger could reel off covers easily too. jagger did have to write stuff for the deluxe edition of exile though.

anyways I just thought it was weird Clapton in 1998, 2001 and 2005 released albums were he wrote or cowrote most of the album but then after that the well went dry

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2016 16:22

Hairball
Nice interview from Rolling Stone magazine:

Eric Clapton Talks Making of 'Slowhand,' Spontaneous New LP

And the mystery of Angelo Misterioso remains mysterious - perhaps it is Ed Sheeran?

RS: Your version of Paul Brady's ballad "I Will Be There" includes a credit for acoustic guitar and vocals by "Angelo Mysterioso" –
a George Harrison reference. What's the story there?

EC: I had this [other] guy come and sing with me, and then I tried to get permission to release it.
His company didn't like the idea. So we did what me and George used to do, which is just appear anonymously.

RS: Who is Angelo Misterioso?

EC: I'm not going to tell you [laughs]. That would blow it all. The reason we did it was for business reasons, to keep the suits happy.
That's the way George and I used to do it. And this guy liked it too. I think he felt quite honored to be allowed to use that pseudonym.

Thanks for the link, weird that a record company wouldn't be happy with one of their artists working with Clapton...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 21, 2016 18:27

I really like this album. Restrained, but very well crafted. Good song selection and some typically tasteful picking from the master. Clapton has always done a lot of covers, I think he only wrote 2 or 3 songs on 461 Ocean Blvd. Nothing earth-shattering here, just pleasant blues by the great elder statesman.

Ross

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 21, 2016 23:18

Have not heard the entire new CD.

Did see the interview last night with EC and Glyn Johns. The guy (Paul Whitehouse) that showed up at EC's house to interview EC and Glyn Johns was awful and ruined what could have been a very interesting interview/conversation. Whitehouse was absolutely annoying and blabbered nonsensical BS the entire time! Whitehouse tried to be cute and funny but came across as a blowhard dumba**.

IMO, EC's old team of Roger Forrester and Co. would never have let this be broadcasted.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 21, 2016 23:52

1cdog
Have not heard the entire new CD.

Did see the interview last night with EC and Glyn Johns. The guy (Paul Whitehouse) that showed up at EC's house to interview EC and Glyn Johns was awful and ruined what could have been a very interesting interview/conversation. Whitehouse was absolutely annoying and blabbered nonsensical BS the entire time! Whitehouse tried to be cute and funny but came across as a blowhard dumba**.

IMO, EC's old team of Roger Forrester and Co. would never have let this be broadcasted.

I agree. The highlight for me was Eric's acoustic version of Robert Johnson's "Stones In My Passway". Pure channeling, his whole body was involved. There are only 2 people that have ever been on the planet who could do that, the other one was the guy who wrote it. Sublime! I was a bit disappointed that the album version was a totally different, electric arrangement.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 22, 2016 04:15

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
dcba
Come On

cocaine, call me the breeze, after midnight. I think those are

masterpieces

Masterpieces? No. Average simple good songs. Nothing more. Call Me The Breeze is 12 bar blues. Why is that a masterpiece? I have to agree with MHR about Cale's playing. It really isn't much to talk about. It is pretty poor.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2016 07:29

It was weird. Somebody forwarded me a cut and I knew it was Clapton immediately before he started playing. The rhythm section sounded exactly like late era Clapton. His playing wasn't bad though.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 22, 2016 19:20

RockinJive
keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
dcba
Come On

masterpieces

Masterpieces? No. Average simple good songs. Nothing more. Call Me The Breeze is 12 bar blues. Why is that a masterpiece? I have to agree with MHR about Cale's playing. It really isn't much to talk about. It is pretty poor.

To me JJ was more about song writing. Concerning his guitar playing I too have never been that impressed with his lead playing but his rhythm playing is what is different/unique/special.

Date: May 27, 2016 06:33

dcba
Come On

please list exactly what by Clapton you are talking about? I actually think he's had one of the strongest careers of anyone who started in the 60's. even his 3 worst studio albums, pilgrim, august and behind the sun have several excellent cuts

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2016 12:03

GUITAR WORLD --July 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 27, 2016 14:28

1cdog
RockinJive
keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
dcba
Come On

masterpieces

To me JJ was more about song writing. Concerning his guitar playing I too have never been that impressed with his lead playing but his rhythm playing is what is different/unique/special.

Of course this is a matter of personal taste but to me JJ Cale was a genius. Too many people can play guitar, fast and sophisticated and all that. He was very different. He did not push it. It is very difficult to make a song on one chord and make it exciting. He did it, e.g. Anyway the wind blows, or Let me do it to you, etc. His playing and singing was and remains inimitable, which is one thing he has in common with the Stones. This is nothing a 2-year old can do, sorry.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 27, 2016 16:08

Like Dylan Cale ain't no virtuoso but like Dylan he wrote classic songs.

Watch this version of AM : [www.youtube.com]

It's nice, laidback, restrained and powerful... till Clapton steps in around the 3:00 mark and goes "blah-blah-blah" in G minor all over the song. Yawn...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 27, 2016 18:50

One of the photo's in the magazine article shown above shows Clapton in the studio, appearing to be recording WITH GLOVES ON. It's the picture titled "Clapton recording "Still I Do". Anyone know why he'd be wearing glove on both hands while recording?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 27, 2016 23:27

mr_dja
One of the photo's in the magazine article shown above shows Clapton in the studio, appearing to be recording WITH GLOVES ON. It's the picture titled "Clapton recording "Still I Do". Anyone know why he'd be wearing glove on both hands while recording?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes, apparantly Eric suffered a bad skin rash, probably excema towards the end of last year.
I remember seeing a Daily Mail article at the beginning of the year...he was seen at a cafe in London, with the bandages on.
As far as I am aware, all is ok at the moment.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home