Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: IORR web site maintenance
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 19, 2016 13:07

Appreciate all your good work, BV. I can truly appreciate what it takes especially at our age. Keeping up with the new is a challenge. I work for a huge aerospace concern & adapting to the changes is key. Lots of people just refuse to do it & then complain about the results. We recently got a new, radically different system. Everyone spends so much time complaining that they don't learn. I amaze the youngsters by telling them about my early computer education. Punch cards & DOS, haha. Hope you are having a good trip.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 19, 2016 13:13

Thanks for keeping this site up, Bjornulf. Good luck with the update.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 19, 2016 14:13

crholmstrom
Appreciate all your good work, BV. I can truly appreciate what it takes especially at our age. Keeping up with the new is a challenge. I work for a huge aerospace concern & adapting to the changes is key. Lots of people just refuse to do it & then complain about the results. We recently got a new, radically different system. Everyone spends so much time complaining that they don't learn. I amaze the youngsters by telling them about my early computer education. Punch cards & DOS, haha. Hope you are having a good trip.

Punch cards, paper tape, 7-track tapes, assembler code and DOS. Those were the days. First computer I programmed for had 4k of memory...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 19, 2016 14:28

Green Lady
crholmstrom

Punch cards, paper tape, 7-track tapes, assembler code and DOS. Those were the days. First computer I programmed for had 4k of memory...

In high school computer class we used to punch cards & then send them to the main office for the school district to be run. Took a few days to get results back. It changed quick though. I was in 1st year of college & a PC lab got put in. I'm pretty much self taught though. I met a guy who worked on 1 of the 1st computers at a swap meet in New Mexico (long story). Interesting old guy at the time. The first big computer took up a whole large building & didn't have near the capacity of a modern phone. Some of the advances are good but I worry about some of it. Think we are losing our souls to a certain extent. That's my inner, arty Aquarius talking. People do need to pay more attention to the ramifications of technology though. I read an interview with Roger Waters where he said "the road to tyranny is long & insiduous" or something to that effect. He has a point.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 19, 2016 15:09

Green Lady
crholmstrom

I remember them, with me it was COBOL code..........(1979..........

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 19, 2016 15:41

Green Lady
crholmstrom

Woah! >grinning smiley<

The first computer, I wrote my MA work with was a then state-of-the-art Atari 1040 ST with, believe it or not - 1MB of RAM - 1992 that was ...

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 15:54

EddieByword
Green Lady
crholmstrom

I remember them, with me it was COBOL code..........(1979..........

memory lane... note to self- Do not drop the punch cards!!
but it was funny to shuffle your buddy's when he was not looking (funny for me)
I was happy when FORTRAN came along... do not use GO TO

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 16:12

Bjornulf, I have been a user on IORR for a few years and I am sure you put a lot of time and effort in maintaining the technology and management of this site. I just want to say "thank you". IORR is fun, informative, and allows discussion of the Rolling Stones from users around the world. Again, thank you and continued success with this site.

Date: February 19, 2016 19:19

Hey BV,

Not the FBI chasing Apple users again is it? LOL

Enjoy the tour!

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Site problem?
Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: February 21, 2016 13:21

anyone getting "forum error" trying to post here or just me?
don't know what's going on if it's my side or maintenance?
pls delete this post if it's fine iorr side...just making whoever aware I'm having difficulties. I'll be surprised if this post- posts...
was trying to comment on last night's thread...
dog

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: February 21, 2016 17:26

Suggestion: Webpage designers who find it necessary to to use so called "captcha" and do not want to annoy and lose legitimate users often times use a simple and clearly read 6 digit number, such as 892701, that is retyped, rather than forcing those users to scrutinize obscure postage stamp sized images, or repeatedly re-click to create UN-readably obscured and weirdly fonted images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 17:29 by Chacho.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 21, 2016 17:40

MKjan
Can you write some code to block the word 'setlist'?

>grinning smiley<

Date: February 22, 2016 13:37

With firefox the web works but with midori the browser says SSL handshake failure.

It is not a problem as I may use firefox, I would prefer midori as it is quicker than firefox though.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 22, 2016 14:03

emotionalbarbecue
With firefox the web works but with midori the browser says SSL handshake failure.

It is not a problem as I may use firefox, I would prefer midori as it is quicker than firefox though.

Perhaps you need to a stronger grip.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 22, 2016 14:33

emotionalbarbecue

IORR should work with all browsers. There is no fancy code on IORR that require any special javascript level or browser extentions. It is plain web pages. However, some have weired http/https warnings, some times through web shields or security systems. If so check your settings. IORR is running on secure web i.e. https. All web certificates are fine, so make sure you have the proper webshield and browser settings. Some give false alarms. Like when you are on IORR, you should accept a mix of http and https, as IORR is not a bank...

Bjornulf

Date: February 22, 2016 14:34

Chacho
Suggestion: Webpage designers who find it necessary to to use so called "captcha" and do not want to annoy and lose legitimate users often times use a simple and clearly read 6 digit number, such as 892701, that is retyped, rather than forcing those users to scrutinize obscure postage stamp sized images, or repeatedly re-click to create UN-readably obscured and weirdly fonted images.

There is no captcha on iorr... And there are no forms where captcha might be needed, as far as I know. Where do you find captcha on iorr?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 22, 2016 14:45

bv
IORR should work with all browsers.

W00t, it even works with lynx thumbs up

Date: February 22, 2016 16:46

Thanks for your answer Bjornulf. I wrote the post just in case it would be useful to you. I have no idea about internet technology.

Date: February 22, 2016 17:22

Koen
bv
IORR should work with all browsers.

W00t, it even works with lynx thumbs up

It is just standard html code you know. It has been that way for 20 years. You don't need fancy javascripts or embedded frames or flash or ajax or one page apps that require IE v. 999 to publish text and graphics from Stones concerts. That is why the IORR pages load faster than most other page on internet, there's nothing fancy. By the way Google give plus points (higher page rank on serach) for fast webload.

Bjornulf

Posted by: marmass ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:56

Since the web site maintenance tread appeared, I have not been able to reach IOOR from Google Chrome or from my Samsung Cellphone... Wonder what happened, I can only see it with Firefox.
Thanks for your work anyway but something isn't right somewhere...

Date: February 22, 2016 23:00

It says something about RC$ not being safe anymore. Am I the only one having such problem? Any suggestions? Thanks again...

Date: February 22, 2016 23:01

RC4...

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:04

marmass
Since the web site maintenance tread appeared, I have not been able to reach IOOR from Google Chrome or from my Samsung Cellphone... Wonder what happened, I can only see it with Firefox.
Thanks for your work anyway but something isn't right somewhere...
marmass
It says something about RC$ not being safe anymore. Am I the only one having such problem? Any suggestions? Thanks again...

Just use Firefox.

Date: February 22, 2016 23:06

That's what I'm doing, but Chrome is faster and the cellphone doesn't work. Thank you for your clever suggestion anyway :-)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:14

Chrome works fine here.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:05

All these newbies boasting about their early computers!

Our son's first computer was an Atari ST just like the one someone posted about. (And jolly good it was as well.)

My first programming experience was at university in 1966.... writing a program to work out the first 200 prime numbers. In ICL Machine code as far as I recall.

My first programming job was in 1968, writing intercode programs to run on a LEO III - a very direct descendant of the first ever commercial computer (LEO being an acronym for Lyons Electronic Office, and Lyons ran tea shops in the UK and spotted the need for computers to do their payroll). LEO III being, as far as I recall, the first version to have transistors and not valves!

I've even got some paper tape and some punched cards in my archives at home!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 23, 2016 00:10

CaptainCorella
All these newbies boasting about their early computers!

Our son's first computer was an Atari ST just like the one someone posted about. (And jolly good it was as well.)

My first programming experience was at university in 1966.... writing a program to work out the first 200 prime numbers. In ICL Machine code as far as I recall.

My first programming job was in 1968, writing intercode programs to run on a LEO III - a very direct descendant of the first ever commercial computer (LEO being an acronym for Lyons Electronic Office, and Lyons ran tea shops in the UK and spotted the need for computers to do their payroll). LEO III being, as far as I recall, the first version to have transistors and not valves!

I've even got some paper tape and some punched cards in my archives at home!

Ahhh, not boasting, just reminiscing...........my stepson's was a ZX Spectrum, same release year as the Atari.......according to Wiki anyway..........cool smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 23, 2016 05:20

i still cant access iorr on my older android phone sad smiley I get a 'Data connectivity problem' 'Secure connection cannot be found' message.

Been about 4 days now...Arrrggghh!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: February 23, 2016 05:45

bv
Chacho

There is no captcha on iorr... And there are no forms where captcha might be needed, as far as I know. Where do you find captcha on iorr?

The last time I accessed IORR I was asked to scrutinize 9 tiny photos and place a check-mark by each one that contained a car, or some such. That is what I am referring to as a captcha. Today when accessing the site I was not asked to scrutinize photos and checkmark each one that contained oranges, or whatever. Note that cars and oranges are used as examples only, because I do not remember what I actually had to look for in the photos.

There is another forum I frequent that has asked for captchas of that nature also.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 10:52

IE11, Firefox 39.0 and Chrome 48.0.2564.116m all broken for me. Can't get to IORR. THANK goodness for iPhone

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 10:54 by bitusa2012.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home