Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Montevideo Uruguay 16-Feb-2016 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 17, 2016 18:21

Plink
+1 on the kudos to Latvianinexile for the fabulous stage shots thumbs up

I like the before show shots very much, too. Cool to see the fans and bootleg merch.

Another bv spotting.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 17, 2016 18:40

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 18:50

GlimmerGirl24
jammingedward
Anyone know why the sets are now 18 songs?
Seems odd to drop a song mid tour...

The Stones have dropped 3-5 songs throughout a tour as long as I've been seeing them, starting in 1981. Since Bridges to Babylon, tours have started with 22 to 23 songs and ended with 19 or 20. The only exception is No Security which started with and ended with 21.

The oddity is that they've dropped to 18 songs - that's a first. There's speculation that the minutes the audience cheering was adding to the Buenos Aires concerts was cutting it close to the curfew, so the third song was dropped. Or it could be they decided the third song wasn't working with the South American audiences and the show flows better going straight into Tumbling Dice. Or maybe they just want to get back to the hotel and into their jammies five minutes earlier.

Hope if they come back to Europe they go back to 19 songs.

I hope this is due to the enthusiastic SA crowds and the hot and humid weather. We all know that our boys are getting on, and I hope that this not due to that.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: February 17, 2016 19:04

GasLightStreet
I'm wondering, if they really do record a new LP and release it, to what element of relevance will it be on any shows when as it is they hardly do anything post-1981 as it is?

They did a whopping THREE post-1981 songs at yesterday's show - only because Keith did his two STEEL WHEELS songs.

Start Me Up 1981
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll 1974
Tumbling Dice 1972
Out Of Control 1997
She's So Cold 1980
Wild Horses 1971
Paint It Black 1966
Honky Tonk Women 1969
Slipping Away (Keith) 1989
Can't Be Seen (Keith) 1989
Midnight Rambler 1969
Miss You 1978
Gimme Shelter 1969
Brown Sugar 1971
Sympathy For The Devil 1968
Jumpin' Jack Flash 1968
You Can't Always Get What You Want 1969
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 1965

You have to put all this into a perspective. It is 10 years ago since they played in South America. There are countries on this tour, Uruguay for example, that they never ever played before. What do the audience want to hear? Well, a setlist of greatest hits. BV explained this yesterday in another thread. Most of the people that come to the show has never went to see the Stones before. They want to hear songs like SMU, JJF, Satisfaction and so on, the band's most popular songs. It's a fact that the most popular songs from the Stones' repertoire are recorded pre '81. If you take a look at ABB-tour they played a lot of songs from the ABB-record, so of course a new record will have relevance. They played Doom And Gloom for 64 shows. I think they will add the new songs to the setlist if they release a new record.

Posted by: Primoterium ()
Date: February 17, 2016 19:35

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 17, 2016 19:40

Great show in Montevideo!

Show reports and pictures here:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 17, 2016 21:21

DandelionPowderman
In Soldier Field in 2006 it must have been due to the very cold weather.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, the volume on my computer was at 100% and now my ears are ringing.

Olly.

Date: February 17, 2016 21:29

Perhaps the historians could cast their views on the accuracy of the following observations regarding the Uruguay show setlist:

1) The first time Richards' two numbers have come from the same album.

2) The first time since 1990 that the setlist of a Stones show has featured four songs originally released in the 1980s.

Olly.

Date: February 17, 2016 21:30

18 Songs Not enough

Please drop the long songs and replace with 2 songs

Gezz.... MISS YOU should never ever eveR evER eVER EVER be played live again. In the US I would bet

that less than 20% of the crowd even songs along anymore.

ITS TIRED

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 21:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 23:11 by everwest1.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 17, 2016 21:38

Olly

Keith did Thief In The Night and You Don't Have To Mean It at a couple of shows in 1999 (DC#2, Boston#2, Hartford#2, Chicago#2 and San Jose#2).

Date: February 17, 2016 21:46

Olly
DandelionPowderman
In Soldier Field in 2006 it must have been due to the very cold weather.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks, the volume on my computer was at 100% and now my ears are ringing.

LOL, It's only Rock'n'Roll smiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2016 21:52

Olly
Perhaps the historians could cast their views on the accuracy of the following observations regarding the Uruguay show setlist:

2) The first time since 1990 that the setlist of a Stones show has featured four songs originally released in the 1980s.

Didn't they play Thief In The Night and You Don't Have To Mean It together on some 1997/98 shows? I'm not sure...

In 2005 or 6 they played RJ, ONNYA, BOMH (or IWBL) and RFD on some shows, no?

EDIT: There are 7 songs from the 90s and later in the second Fenway Park setlist from 2005.

EDIT II: I thought you wrote "released after the 80s" smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 22:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 17, 2016 21:59

Olly

Chicago#1 and #2, Columbus, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Madison (Rock And A Hard Place, All About You, Wanna Hold You, Start Me Up).
Albuquerque and St Louis (Waiting On A Friend, All About You, Wanna Hold You, Start Me Up).
Oakland#4 (Rock And A Hard Place, Waiting On A Friend, All About You, Start Me Up).

Comiskey Park Chicago (Start Me Up, Undercover Of The Night, Slipping Away, Neighbours).

Date: February 17, 2016 22:09

erikjjf
Olly

Keith did Thief In The Night and You Don't Have To Mean It at a couple of shows in 1999 (DC#2, Boston#2, Hartford#2, Chicago#2 and San Jose#2).

erikjjf
Olly

Chicago#1 and #2, Columbus, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Madison (Rock And A Hard Place, All About You, Wanna Hold You, Start Me Up).
Albuquerque and St Louis (Waiting On A Friend, All About You, Wanna Hold You, Start Me Up).
Oakland#4 (Rock And A Hard Place, Waiting On A Friend, All About You, Start Me Up).

Comiskey Park Chicago (Start Me Up, Undercover Of The Night, Slipping Away, Neighbours).

I thought I'd be wrong!

Olly.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:29

Yes, I'm surprised to see the setlist shrinking to 18 songs. Maybe there are
curfew issues with the last couple venues?

Date: February 17, 2016 22:34

swimtothemoon
Yes, I'm surprised to see the setlist shrinking to 18 songs. Maybe there are
curfew issues with the last couple venues?

The show still lasts a good two hours... (2:14 in Argentina).

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 22:40 by The Worst..

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:41

It is the first time ever that Keith changed both of his songs from the previous show 4 consecutive nights. 1st La Plata to Montevideo.

Ready, steady, go!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:51

Maybe they do it because of Charlie? Maybe they do it because of Mick's voice.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:59

Fantastic photos again, Latvian in Exile - you amaze me. Thank you.
You too Bjornulf

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 23:08

MacLaurens
GasLightStreet
I'm wondering, if they really do record a new LP and release it, to what element of relevance will it be on any shows when as it is they hardly do anything post-1981 as it is?

They did a whopping THREE post-1981 songs at yesterday's show - only because Keith did his two STEEL WHEELS songs.

Start Me Up 1981
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll 1974
Tumbling Dice 1972
Out Of Control 1997
She's So Cold 1980
Wild Horses 1971
Paint It Black 1966
Honky Tonk Women 1969
Slipping Away (Keith) 1989
Can't Be Seen (Keith) 1989
Midnight Rambler 1969
Miss You 1978
Gimme Shelter 1969
Brown Sugar 1971
Sympathy For The Devil 1968
Jumpin' Jack Flash 1968
You Can't Always Get What You Want 1969
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 1965

You have to put all this into a perspective. It is 10 years ago since they played in South America. There are countries on this tour, Uruguay for example, that they never ever played before. What do the audience want to hear? Well, a setlist of greatest hits. BV explained this yesterday in another thread. Most of the people that come to the show has never went to see the Stones before. They want to hear songs like SMU, JJF, Satisfaction and so on, the band's most popular songs. It's a fact that the most popular songs from the Stones' repertoire are recorded pre '81. If you take a look at ABB-tour they played a lot of songs from the ABB-record, so of course a new record will have relevance. They played Doom And Gloom for 64 shows. I think they will add the new songs to the setlist if they release a new record.

No they will plus they afraid to try it. Sad

Date: February 17, 2016 23:50

Another one from Montevideo:

Bjornulf

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 17, 2016 23:58

"18 Songs Not enough...Please drop the long songs and replace with 2 songs"

I say, boys keep "Midnight Rambler" into the lists, on every gig, until your last gig ( I hope it' will not come soon). The song is a masterpiece, live...

Date: February 17, 2016 23:59

jumpontopofmebaby
18 Songs Not enough

Gezz.... MISS YOU should never ever eveR evER eVER EVER be played live again. In the US I would bet

ITS TIRED

Did you go to the show? Miss You was very popular with the crowd, lots of singing, dancing. Keith and Ronnie is going to the B-stage on Miss You. Tim is playing a great sax solo.

By the way there is a separate thread for set list discussions, right?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 00:04

jumpontopofmebaby
18 Songs Not enough

ITS TIRED

Agreed. BUT...everyone uses that song as a bathroom break. So ot does serve its purposes to a degree

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: February 18, 2016 04:55

VIP Premium A1 and A2 (sections in front of the stage) where not sold out on the day of the concert. They filled the sections up anyway. Those who had payed the regular price had blue wristbands (in A2).

Then there were lots of others with striped yellow/red wristbands. One of my neighbours said, people where sold tickets for less than half the original price. Does anyone know what the deal was exactly?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 18, 2016 06:10

jumpontopofmebaby
18 Songs Not enough

Gezz.... MISS YOU should never ever eveR evER eVER EVER be played live again. In the US I would bet I

ITS TIRED

Sorry, but that comment about Miss You is utter tosh and nonsense. Last night the show was in Uruguay - not the US - and anyone attending would know that plenty more than 20 per cent of the audience were singing along to a version that was the furthest from tired of almost any of the versions I've ever heard, thanks in partiular to terrific solos by both Darryl and Tim Ries. All the Uruguayans I saw or spoke to wanted to hear the likes of Miss You because unlike us, the majority have little or no clue about the standard setlist and what song is coming next. The receptionist in my hotel said he was ecstatic to the point of shaking when he heard Gimme Shelter. It's for unjaded people like him that the warhorses are churned out every time, whereas we here all hope for rarer pearls.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 18, 2016 06:17

latvianinexile
VIP Premium A1 and A2 (sections in front of the stage) where not sold out on the day of the concert. They filled the sections up anyway. Those who had payed the regular price had blue wristbands (in A2).

Then there were lots of others with striped yellow/red wristbands. One of my neighbours said, people where sold tickets for less than half the original price. Does anyone know what the deal was exactly?

It was my underatanding that somd lucky people from the campo were let in to fill up the empty spaces. They were anxiously queueing to get in when I came back from the loo about an hour before the show. I saw the same thing happen in Vienna in 2014.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 18, 2016 15:44

Beast
jumpontopofmebaby
18 Songs Not enough

Gezz.... MISS YOU should never ever eveR evER eVER EVER be played live again. In the US I would bet I

ITS TIRED

Sorry, but that comment about Miss You is utter tosh and nonsense. Last night the show was in Uruguay - not the US - and anyone attending would know that plenty more than 20 per cent of the audience were singing along to a version that was the furthest from tired of almost any of the versions I've ever heard, thanks in partiular to terrific solos by both Darryl and Tim Ries. All the Uruguayans I saw or spoke to wanted to hear the likes of Miss You because unlike us, the majority have little or no clue about the standard setlist and what song is coming next. The receptionist in my hotel said he was ecstatic to the point of shaking when he heard Gimme Shelter. It's for unjaded people like him that the warhorses are churned out every time, whereas we here all hope for rarer pearls.
*thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home