Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Greatest Decade, Musically Speaking
Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:24

The thing is - the feeling that marks or infuses a decade doesn't end neatly as the clock strikes midnight on 31 December. There can be the "long/short" sixties, the "long/short" seventies.

As the sixties took a while to get going musically (say 64/65) and according to some observers that particular momentum fizzled out 69/70 ish, you might call it the "short" sixties (not a tidy decade at all).

I'm not trying to pass this off as my idea - many writers have commented on it.

Anyway, for me 65 - 74.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:30

When one equates a history timeline and speaks of centuries, decades etc... it assumes reference to a designated period that exists within the number time frame. The 60's does not wander into the 70's for convenience of fulfilling a list, it's January 1, 1960 to December 31, 1969.

The great bands and recordings of the 1960's or 1970's belong to that decade for which it was officially released for public listening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 22:39 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:35

The Sicilian
When one equates a history timeline and speaks of centuries, decades etc... it assumes period that exists within the number time frame. The 60's does not wander into the 70's, it's January 1, 1960 to December 31, 1969.

THANK YOU---Just what I was trying to say....haha

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 19, 2016 13:47

Yeah, but the sixties was hardly musically great 1/1 -60 -- 18/3 1962....

Bob Dylans debutalbum was released 19 marsch 1962...the rest of the 60's is Music history...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 18:55

The Sicilian
The 60's does not wander into the 70's, it's January 1, 1960 to December 31, 1969.

What if it is all kind of blurry?
I kind of wandered in to the 70s and didn't realize it until about 1974

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: February 19, 2016 21:30

everwest1
The Sicilian
The 60's does not wander into the 70's, it's January 1, 1960 to December 31, 1969.

What if it is all kind of blurry?
I kind of wandered in to the 70s and didn't realize it until about 1974

Ha ha - yes "blurrier" is what I was attempting to say earlier. Yes, technically speaking a decade is measured in those strictly literal ways but imo the music scene is different.

"Historians often prefer to ignore the rigid structure of the calendar and define their own decades. These can be "short" or "long", lasting six years or sixteen: for example, the short sixties might be bracketed by the impact of Beatlemania in 1963 and the Manson murders in 1969; their long equivalent could stretch from Harold Macmillanss "Never had it so good" speech in 1957 to America's withdrawal from Vietnam in 1973. What unifies these artificial eras is a sense of identity that marks them out from what came before and after."

(Peter Doggett - The Man Who Sold The World)

So hoping fervently that I will not be castigated for going off-topic......

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 20, 2016 17:18

I watched the Grammy Awards a few days ago and tried very hard to appreciate the music, but was not able to do so. The melodies for the most part were trite with only two or three chords being utilized, and the lyrics were just about worthless. While there were musicians on stage, it all sounded canned and computerized. Maybe some of it was, who knows? Johnny Depp looked hip trying to pretend to be Keith, but there is only one Keith. I saw more posturing than musical ability.

I did enjoy Lady GaGa, who sang several Bowie numbers.

Once again, I tried to enjoy this music, but this noise was not music.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home