Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Ranking The Mediocore Albums 1973 - 1986
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 26, 2016 19:31

GasLightStreet
It's a genius track and one of their musically superior tunes.

It may be musically superior compared to others but it is awful boring.

One Hit, DW, Too Rude, Winning Ugly are of course "good songs" (at least). Just as good as nearly anything from the 1973-2012-period. And much better, should say much more entertaining than If You Really Want To Be My Friend.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 26, 2016 22:38

in my opinion tattoo you is a brand new album.

all the tracks were first released officially on this album, although some were partially made years earlier but there is no time limit on how long it should take an album to be completed.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:23

stonesstein
frenki09
stonesstein
This is a great topic! Thanks so much for doing this.

There are some great records in this list.

1. GHS - Starf%cker is among their best tracks, ever, and (to me) the only lemon is Coming Down Again (I know, 20 of y'all will say "I like that song!"). They still play Doo Doo Doo Doo, Angie, and they dusted off Silver Train after 41 years. Following Exile was like following Lou Holtz at Notre Dame.....

2. IORR - an LP with among the best "Hit Singles That Never Were" such as Dance Little Sister, Time Waits for No One, and If You Can't Rock Me. Only one really mistake - If You Really Want to Be My Friend, which, as much as they wanted to pay tribute to the Philly-soul trend of the moment, it is truly among the worst 5 songs of the band's career. (I know, someone here likes it!) IORR is a good, but very mixed, bag, from which one can roll a really good phattie.

3. Black & Blue - really solid but short group of songs. The Stones in transition with a Keef where cool papa is just too prevalent. This is Mick and Charlie's record with guest guitarists and here, as much as ever before, in Keith's absence, the band is forced to experiment with such tracks as Hey Negrita, Hot Stuff, and Melody. Arguably, their cover of Eric Donaldson's Cherry Oh Baby is the only track which is less than up to par. To give you an idea of the band's opinion - note that this, Sticky, and Some Girls are the only LPs of the modern era that they have played all songs.

4. Emotional Rescue - Oh, the blow! Ok, there are some good songs here like Dance and She's So Cold and some good-enough songs like Summer Romance, the title track, and Where the Boys All Go. Then, there are among the band's worst - Indian Girl, All About You, and Down in the Hole (sorry!) All in all, were it not for an even more spotty record to follow (after Tattoo You), this would stand out as the worst of this period.

5. Undercover - WOW! Didn't think it could get worse, did you? So, other than the (fantastic!) title track and that schlock-MOR hit She Was Hot, what else do you listen to very much? Ok, there's one REALLY INCREDIBLE song on this record, and that's among Woody's finest moments - Pretty Beat Up (WOW!). Beyond that, everything else is just that - pretty beat up......

6. Dirty Work - the Stones go "studio tan" with more drugs around that anything else since Black and Blue. Here, though, the "mortality" is evident, because it saddens us all to think that the Stones could not find 1-2 tracks better than Back to Zero and Fight.... Give us Bobby Womack and Strictly Memphis. Don't get me wrong, there are some really good and fun listens here like One Hit, the title track, Too Rude, Winning Ugly, and the LP's hidden gem, Had It With You (so much blow going on, had to avoid using a bassist to enable the middle ear to pick up the treble frequencies.......... This IS a good record!

Very nicely put! I enjoyed reading it. If You Really Want To Be My Friend among the 5 worst Stones songs? Hmm... What are the other 4?

I think this might be in another thread, but for me, Anyway You Look At It, Indian Girl, Back to Zero, Gunface, Blinded by Love (or all Steel Wheels save 2-3 trax) are horrible cysts on the catalog......

You said that if you really want to be my friend was one of their 5 worst songs and then named 8 songs worse than it :-)

We get what you mean though. I'd suggest adding short and curlies, winter, silver train, and winning ugly to your list.

Date: March 29, 2016 11:33

Any Way You Look At It, If You Really Want To Be My Friend and Blinded By Love don't belong on a «worst-list». All good tunes, imo.

Gunface and Back To Zero is down there, though.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 17:47

Pecman
Some may love these albums and some may hate them...but taking away Some Girls and Tattoo You...we are left with these six albums to battle for best to the worst from 1973 - 1986.

Here's my picks...let's hear yours: Rank them Favorite to least Favorite.

1. Black and Blue(Best engineered album and with experimental music directions)
2. It's Only Rock&Roll(Fingerprint File-only notable song staying w/the times)
3. Undercover (trying to stay with the times...experimental in nature)
4. Goats Head Soup (Exile hangover...murky..out of tune..a #1 ballad...no rock)
5. Emotional Rescue (Some Girls out takes...horrible engineering...no bottom)
6. Dirty Work (we all know about this)

Pecman

Mediocre??!!! Black and Blue , IORR and Goats are fantastic

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:37

1. Tattoo You-Great mix of songs. Slave is a guilty pleasure. Neighbors, Black Limousine, and Hang Fire are great face paced songs. Start Me Up is a classic. Ballads on second side are all unique in their own way. Solid album.

2. Goats Head Soup-Broke the formula run of the Big Four. Silver Train is a song that I can't understand why it didn't become a live staple. Angie-great ballad. Heartbreaker-Cool funk vibe and still sounds great live. Star Star-Classic Stones sound and theme. 100 Years ago and Comin' Down-Both nice underrated songs. Dancing with Mr. D-Kind of a weak opening track. Winter-total forgotten gem. Solid album just happened to follow 4 straight masterpieces. This one is still a solid album.

3. IORR- Very unbalanced. IORR, If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File, Short & Curlies, Luxury, and Dance Little Sister are all solid songs with that classic Stones touch to each one. The ballads lose me on this one. Not quite up to standard. I have never cared for the cover of Aint to Proud to Beg. The Stones didn't add much to it. Unlike Just my Imagination where they totally put the "Stones" stamp on that one.

4. Dirty Work-yes Dirty Work! Minus the bad cover pic I've never understood the hate for this one. One Hit to the Body is a great song with great lyrics. Had it with you-to me a nod to the original Chuck Berryesque Stones Sound. Too Rude, Dirty Work, Harlem Shuffle, and Fight are all solid with a bit of the 80's sound to them. Back to Zero is the only song that maybe is a bit too "80's" for my taste.

5. Emotional Rescue-Not bad really, just sandwiched between two great albums. She's So Cold has always been a personal favorite of mine. Dance and the title track are great funk songs, a sound that Stones excelled at. Down in a Hole-a trip back to the Blues Days. The rest are filler but still have the Stones sound to them.

6. Undercover-I'm a bit surprised this one gets as much love as it does. UCOTN is the one Stones song that I've always wanted to hear live but have never gotten to hear. As much as I love UCOTN, that is the lone highlight of this album. Dirty Work takes the blunt of the criticism but in reality this is the Stones most "80's" sounding album. Too Much Blood is an interesting song but the rest minus She Was Hot and Wanna Hold You belong on a Mick Jagger solo record.

7. Black and Blue. Between the Buttons saves this one from being my least favorite Stones album. A total mess IMO. Crazy Mama has the classic Stones sound and Hey Negrita is a fun song but the rest I can do without. Even Memory Motel doesn't do much for me.

...just my 2 cents!

Date: March 29, 2016 19:17

Slave is great, not a guilty pleasure! smiling smiley

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 19:20

It would be cool to hear Slave played live at least once but very doubtful that will happen.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home