Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Rolling Stones: Trump never asked permission to use songs
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 22, 2016 20:00

stonesrule
Have you ever noticed that the Trumpster has mean eyes and a tight mouth?

And tiny hands.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 22, 2016 20:04

Anyone's who sells their music to the public can not complain about somebody playing it at a public venue, cookout, house party, tailgate. If you paid for the album, CD, ,45 or downloaded it as long as your are not using it to commercially sell a product you have the right to play it any place you want.

Call me crazy but I Do not believe they were selling any product last night. Please enlighten me with illegal reasons they could not play what ever music they wanted. Last wedding I was at, which was being filmed ,the DJ played whatever was requested ,should he have gotten permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-22 20:23 by virgil.

Posted by: GlimmerTimes2 ()
Date: July 22, 2016 20:05

with sssoul
Smile: I can tell someone didn't read those informative links I provided.
Oh well.

I read it but some may not know how to smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 22, 2016 20:49

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 22, 2016 21:08

Cristiano Radtke

[twitter.com]

You do not need permission if you purchased a song , too use in a public venue. As long as you are not using it to sell a product. All the music I purchased over the years I play when and where I want without anyone's permission.

This agrument that they did not give them permission is so lame.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 22, 2016 21:35

virgil
[
You do not need permission if you purchased a song , too use in a public venue. As long as you are not using it to sell a product.

In this case the "product" is Trump.

And people are being sold a bill of goods.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 22, 2016 21:45

The Stones should make him pay and include damages for the illegal use.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 22, 2016 22:05

TheGreek
The Stones should make him pay and include damages for the illegal use.

Great idea.
Except that there was nothing illegal about it.

Read that statement by the Stones VERY carefully.
It's just some free publicity for The Rolling Stones today.

They are superb capitalists.

Posted by: GlimmerTimes2 ()
Date: July 22, 2016 22:05

virgil
This agrument that they did not give them permission is so lame.

The argument isn’t so lame when the band expressly served the Trump organization with a cease and desist before the convention took place.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 22, 2016 22:16

GE Smith (ex Saturday Night Live) seemed to be leading the house band at the Republican convention last night. The Stones have a beef with Trump's people? It's not like Donald Trump gets involved in picking the tunes that are played.
Last night I heard--
"Can't Get Enough Of your Love"--- Bad Company
"Roll With the Changes" --- REO Speedwagon
Perhaps they will sue the Trump campaign.

I missed hearing YCAGWYW

Using Music In Political Campaigns: Guidelines Prepared By ASCAP *
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 25, 2016 17:07

* Thanks to the erudite sssoulful one for this link:
[www.ascap.com]

USING MUSIC IN POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS: What You Should Know
Guidelines prepared by ASCAP

Executive Summary:

Music use requires planning and securing the appropriate permissions. ASCAP has put together this list of Q & As to help you navigate your way to campaign success through the proper use of music.

Q: What is the value of music in a political campaign?
A: Music possesses a unique power to inspire, motivate and energize a campaign. And music has been used in campaigns since the founding of our country . George Washington effectively used "God Save Great Washington" (a parody of "God Save the King" ), Franklin Roosevelt used "Happy Days Are Here Again" (written by ASCAP members Milton Ager and Jack Yellen), Dwight Eisenhower used "They Like Ike" (written by ASCAP founding member Irving Berlin) and President Barack Obama used "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (written by ASCAP member Stevie Wonder) just to name a few of the Presidential campaign success stories.

Q: What is the issue and why are music use guidelines important?
A: It has become increasingly significant for political candidates in the public spotlight to conduct their campaigns within the copyright law. Recent controversy over unauthorized music use has created unwanted negative publicity for candidates that want to do the right thing but many times require clarification on the legal obligations relating to music use. Knowing these guidelines is good for all involved .

Q: If a campaign wants to use a song in a campaign commercial, what permissions does it need?
A: This kind of use may involve rights such as synchronization of music with video and the possible use of the master sound recording. The campaign will need to contact the song's publisher and possibly the artist's record label to negotiate the appropriate licenses with them. And remember, campaign videos containing music that are posted on the Internet also require these licenses. Once the commercial has been produced, the TV and radio stations, and any web sites that transmit the commercial must hold a public performance license.

Q: What is ASCAP and what is its role?
A: ASCAP is the country 's first and largest performing right organization , representing over 10 million musical works from over 525,000 songwriters and composers , and by extension , their music publishers. ASCAP represents the non-exclusive public performance right for these works , responsible for licensing their public performance on radio, television, cable, satellite, the Internet, on mobile devices and in venues and establishments . We track the use of music, identify the content owners and distribute the appropriate royalties. ASCAP is a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to protecting our members' rights and obtaining fair compensation for the public performance of their copyrighted musical works .
ASCAP provides an important income stream for members and allows music users an efficient and effective wa y to obtain the necessary permission to perform music for their business or their other public communication needs.

Q: What licenses does a campaign need to play music at campaign events?
A: First, while many venues have proper "public performance" licenses, as a general rule the licenses for convention centers, arenas and hotels exclude music use during conventions, expositions and campaign events. If a campaign is holding many events at dozens of different venues, it may be easier for the campaign itself to obtain a public performance license from ASCAP (and possibly one or both of the other two U.S. performing right organizations if the music is licensed through one of them) . This would guarantee that, no matter where you have a campaign stop, it would be in compliance with copyright law.

Q: If the campaign events are properly licensed, can the campaign still be criticized or even sued by an artist for playing his or her song at an event?

A: Yes. If an artist does not want his or her music to be associated with the campaign , he or she may be able to take legal action even if the campaign has the appropriate copyright licenses. While the campaign would be in compliance with copyright law, it could potentially be in violation of other laws. Specifically , the campaign could be liable under any of the following claims:

"Right of Publicity", which in many states provides image protection for famous people or artists.
The "Lanham Act", which covers the confusion or dilution of a trademark (such as a band or artist name) through its unauthorized use.

"False Endorsement" where use of the artist's identifying work implies that the artist supports a product or candidate.

As a general rule, a campaign should be aware that, in most cases, the more closely a song is tied to the "image" or message of the campaign , the more likely it is that the recording artist or songwriter of the song could object to the song's usage in the campaign.

Q: How can the campaign protect itself against these other claims?
A: If a campaign wants to eliminate any of these claims, particularly if the campaign wants to use a song as its theme, they should contact the management for the artists and/or songwriters of the songs in question and obtain their permission. In addition to permission from management, a separate negotiated license maybe required by the publisher of the composition , and if used, the record label that controls the master recording.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 05:40 by schillid.

Re: Using Music In Political Campaigns: Guidelines Prepared By ASCAP *
Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 26, 2016 01:10

Interesting. I would sue if i were them, but privately. Trump's probably being helped by the publicity the whole song debacle has caused. Look at the artists he has chosen to play. All huge artists. Someone knows what they're doing there.

Re: Using Music In Political Campaigns: Guidelines Prepared By ASCAP *
Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: July 26, 2016 15:38

This is great info. Well done.

Have the RS agreed to Trumps using their song?
Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: January 22, 2020 12:11

I have just found in the NY Times a report on the World Economic Forum taking place these days while at home the senate is trying to impeach Trump.

Quote:
"...Mr. Trump appeared to relish the escape offered by the World Economic Forum and the friendly — to his face, at least — crowd of elites in the snow-covered Alps. Arriving in Switzerland on Tuesday morning, Trump flew on Marine One over the Alps, from Zurich to Davos. The altitude increased the sense that the bitter partisan fight that would take place in the Capitol was a world away.
As his motorcade made its way through twisty, snow-covered streets to the Davos Congress Center, nine Swiss tenors entertained the crowd with a version of “Ranz des vaches,” a mellifluous song for calling home cows — and a more peaceful serenade than the songs that typically precede Mr. Trump’s entrance at his rallies back home, like “Macho Man” by the Village People and “Sympathy for the Devil” by the Rolling Stones..."
Unquote

What strikes me is the fact that SFTD is obviously being misused by Trump's helpers. Has anyone an idea about a possible approval or even money being paid for that?

Ruediger

Re: Have the RS agreed to Trumps using their song?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 22, 2020 12:50

Ruediger

Has anyone an idea about a possible approval or even money being paid for that?

See the Thread: [iorr.org] .

[iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home