Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The Rolling Stones and Donald Trump
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 11, 2016 17:05

Rolling Stones: Trump never asked permission to use songs

Finally, a statement from the band.

[www.thedailybeast.com]

"The Trump campaign (ever-controversial, its candidate frequently maligned and slammed as racist, fascist, war-crime-prone, and what have you) has been called out by several artists, and has been told to knock it off by others. Now, the Rolling Stones have a terse statement.
“The band was not asked for permission to use the songs,” Stones spokeswoman Fran Curtis told The Daily Beast."

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED DUE TO THE IORR POLICY OF NO POLITICAL POSTING

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-22 14:18 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones: Trump never asked permission to use songs
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 11, 2016 17:28

that's huuuuuuge

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 17:42

Wow, Mick's "hair" looks, um, special in that photo. I wonder what's going on there.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 11, 2016 17:48

Bravissimi!
Great photo indeed :E

Tweet

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: February 11, 2016 17:59

HurraY!

it was just wrong in so many ways
(not Mick Jagger's hair, but that the Trump campaign tried to hijack the Rolling Stones catalogue for it's use)
(sympathy for the devil, indeed)

Date: February 11, 2016 18:56

CloudCat
HurraY!

it was just wrong in so many ways
(not Mick Jagger's hair, but that the Trump campaign tried to hijack the Rolling Stones catalogue for it's use)
(sympathy for the devil, indeed)
From what I understand, Trump, being the colossal prick that he is, has continued using the songs even when asked to desist.

The man is a classic psychopath...a truly frightening piece of work.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 11, 2016 19:01

I read the article. It's very narrow-minded against Trump but I'm not getting in to politics here. It's cool that he's a Stones fan!

The Rolling Stones favor the Democrats which is no secret. Jagger at the White House with Obama, Jagger's event in 2006 with the Clinton's where we welcome the, "I'd like to welcome President Clinton – and I see she's brought her husband,"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook long before Hillary ran for president of the USA. Mick and Bill Clinton been seen together.

"The (beacon Theater) shows, which were added to the tour schedule for the purposes of the film shoot (shine a Light), featured a different set list than was typical of other shows on the tour (see below), and were noted for their star-studded crowds, including former United States President Bill Clinton and his wife, Hillary Clinton, who was then a United States Senator, and former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski.

The performances benefitted the Clinton Foundation, a charity founded by Bill Clinton, who gave a short speech at the October 29 performance."
wiki

I guess it was an attempt at humor after the Monica Lewinsky scandal and a tribute to Hillary at Webster Hall when Mick yelled-out, "Hillary Clinton give me a blow job." I thought it was funny.

USA v Ghana: 2010 FIFA World Cup - Round of Sixteen

[www.tonedeaf.com.au]

Former President Bill Clinton (center) joins Ron Wood, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones to turn up the heat on global warming. on February 6th, 2003. L. Cohen - Rolling Stones

[www.rollingstone.com]

NRDC Presents The Rolling Stones in a Free Concert to Fight Global Warming

Former President Bill Clinton speaks at the Rolling Stones free concert to help raise awareness to fight global warming ON behalf of the Natural Resources Defense Council. (Photo by L. Cohen/WireImage) Leonardo DiCaprio by Kevin Winte / Brooke Burns by Jeff Kravitz / Christina Aguilera by Bauer Griffin

[articles.latimes.com]

Former president Bill Clinton preceded the band onstage, though he didn’t bring his saxophone. ”I am here because the Stones aren’t term-limited and they’re just as old as I am,” he told the crowd, according to Reuters. He urged consumers to demand pollution-curbing products, telling concertgoers, ”Say, ‘Give me a clean car, give me solar shingles to put on my roof,”’ the Associated Press reports. ”’Give me a clean future.”’ Once onstage, Keith Richards described the problem of global warming more succinctly, saying, ”The Eskimos are feeling the pinch.”

[www.ew.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 19:03 by exilestones.

Date: February 11, 2016 19:07

Mick is a right-winger by British standards, which would make him a moderate Democrat in America.

There's basically no British equivalent to what the Republican Party has devolved into unless you want to risk invoking Godwin's Law.

Date: February 11, 2016 19:14

keefriff99
Mick is a right-winger by British standards, which would make him a moderate Democrat in America.

There's basically no British equivalent to what the Republican Party has devolved into unless you want to risk invoking Godwin's Law.

That has never been confirmed. My guess would be that he isn't, actually.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 22:16

I'm so tired of seeing this political stuff on this board. Can we please leave politics out of the conversation here?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 22:22

ugh, this board is my escape from US politics!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 22:22

Bill is thinking, "Oh, Mick and Keith are getting a taste of their own medicine." (Jumpin' Jack Flash riff, anyone?)

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:09

I'm sure I heard The Beatles Revolution at Trump's winning rally the other night.
John might have seen the irony, to some people Trump is a revolution.

Date: February 12, 2016 00:24

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 21:16

"I'm so tired of seeing this political stuff on this board. Can we please leave politics out of the conversation here?"

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 21:22

"ugh, this board is my escape from US politics!"

Couple things..

A) It's not really a political topic as it is about copy-writes and misuse of the bands property. It's the same as if Pepsi used Satisfaction in an ad without asking or paying. It's illegal and immoral and we should be applauding the band for setting the record straight.

B ) Is there some sort of cyber gun being pointed at peoples head that makes them click on topics they don't like that I'm unaware of??

Because I'm really sick of chatter about Mick Taylor or Mick's hair, or setlist whining or.... so I just don't click on them and it seems to working brilliantly so far.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-12 00:26 by MisterDDDD.

Date: February 12, 2016 00:28

Elton John said it very well....
[www.thedailybeast.com]

“Any use of his music should not be seen as an endorsement of Donald Trump by Elton.” John later clarified his position.
“I don’t really want my music to be involved in anything to do with an American election campaign,” he told The Guardian. “I’m British. I’ve met Donald Trump, he was very nice to me, it’s nothing personal, his political views are his own, mine are very different, I’m not a Republican in a million years. Why not ask Ted @#$%& Nugent? Or one of those @#$%& country stars? They’ll do it for you.”

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:32

The pictures with Clinton are embarrassing, honestly.

The late, great Christopher Hitchens had it right with his book, 'No one Left To Lie To'

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:34

The picture I posted here [www.iorr.org] says it all.

And just like that thread, this one will be closed soon as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-12 00:36 by Koen.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:42

no one can say what mick's politics are. they aren't right wing that's for sure. the only thing we know for sure is that he hates being ripped-off by managers, record companies, publishers, promoters and bootleggers, to name a few.

congrats to anyone who can pay attention to anything trump has to say. i find the dead orange rodent on his head to be too distracting.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:49

DandelionPowderman

I really cannot envisage a multi-millionaire 70-something voting for Corbyn and the white, middle-class, wealthy-hating Labour Party, quite frankly. Perhaps his heart is with the left-of-centre, but his head is probably with Cameron's Chipping Norton set, more likely.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: February 12, 2016 02:06

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

I really cannot envisage a multi-millionaire 70-something voting for Corbyn and the white, middle-class, wealthy-hating Labour Party, quite frankly. Perhaps his heart is with the left-of-centre, but his head is probably with Cameron's Chipping Norton set, more likely.
Don't know much about British politics but my British flatmates (who are from middle and lower-middle class backgrounds and varying ethnicities) all seem to think that Corbyn is a radical left-winger, and are more sympathetic to Cameron, although they prefer the Liberal party. What I know for sure is that Conservative Brits are liberal compared with Trump.

Although I just couldn't resist adding something, I suspect that this thread is soon to be deleted or closed by bv, because last time I checked it goes against forum policy to discuss politics.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 12, 2016 03:59

There are issues of freedom of speech here also, and I don't claim to have a mastery of the legal issues.

If you have a party at your house you can play any music you want. It's private and the playing of the music is not an instrumental part of conducting your business, because it's not a business. That's in contrast to if you own a bar. You have to pay for the rights to play commercial music in a bar.

A political rally is not a business for profit. So where does playing music at a political rally fall in a legal sense? My gut feel is telling me that you don't have to ask for "permission" to play someone's music at a political rally. So if an artist takes a stand an "denies" Trump the right to play their songs then Trump will say "Screw you!" and it will play right into his hands and he will come out the winner.

Thought control is a very dangerous thing, and it can come from the left just as easily as it can come from the right. New Year's Cologne riots anybody? Honestly the last thing I want is a musical artist telling me how to think.

To the shock and surprise of many, at least at this point in time it looks like there is a very decent chance that Trump will be the next US president. That is democracy for you, the people will speak. It's that or going through checkpoints manned by armed militia members every 15 miles as you drive around. I'll take the former any day.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 12, 2016 04:05

I can understand why so many are put off by Donald Trump -- he has indulged in some inflammatory rhetoric, and misrepresented a number of issues..(in the latter he is far from alone though).

But if not everyone here knows, he is not by standard terms an American far right winger or similar. Those folks complain considerably about him... a one time proponent of single payer health care, an attendee at Gay Weddings etc. And say what you will about The Donald, I really don't care to defend him (much) but his approach to Israel, China, Saudi Arabia and Russia are way off script from what obtains in the Democrat or Republican mainstream... Perhaps most important to remember is he is not the guy that invaded Iraq or the other guy that bombed Libya to destruction. Its always good to have some perspective.

Trump Didn't Ask Stones for Permission to Play Their Music
Posted by: TakeItOrLeaveIt ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:21

Surprised it has taken the Stones' camp so long to address Trump's (ab)use of their music at his rallies. The Stones and their fans are much more tolerant of others than Trump and his supporters. Here's the link -

[www.independent.co.uk]

TakeItOrLeaveIt

Re: Trump Didn't Ask Stones for Permission to Play Their Music
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:23

TAKE A LOOK TWO DOWN .....

ROCKMAN

Re: Trump Didn't Ask Stones for Permission to Play Their Music
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 12, 2016 00:24

Yup.
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 12, 2016 06:57

Legally I think a politician can play any music they choose at their events. However, if a royalty is due they must pay. Also they can not legally imply
the artist is endorsing their campaign if indeed their is no endorsement by the
artist.

Morally, if an artist asks the campaign to stop using their music - then the campaign should stop using the artist's music. If the campaign continues to
Use the artist's music then the voters have a true glimpse of the politician's morals and should vote accordingly.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 12, 2016 09:15

It's not about royalties, or about profits, or about politics; it's about licensing.
Some information: [www.ascap.com] (read it all the way through, though!)
and [futureofmusic.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-12 11:08 by with sssoul.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 12, 2016 10:46

sorry folks - no politics on IORR … ;-)

Date: February 12, 2016 10:52

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 12, 2016 11:13

Moving off topic but I really enjoy Elton John's comments lately.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home