Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Katch - Preserving Periscope Broadcasts
Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 12:15

As the Zip Code tour was ending last summer, Katch appeared. Katch grabs the Periscope broadcast and stores it in the cloud indefinitely so the broadcast can be viewed.

[katch.me]

If you sign up for Katch, there's three ways to move a Periscope broadcast to your Katch account:

1. Add #katch to the Periscope title.
2. Set your Katch account to auto-Katch and tweet the broadcast to Twitter when you begin Periscoping.
3. If you forget the first two, before the broadcast expires on Periscope, tweet the link to it with #katch and Katch will grab it.

Katch also preserves the comments and hearts from the broadcast.

Here's a periscope I recorded last summer of Sugar Blue at the Tawas' Blues by the Bay festival:

[ktch.tv]

About 19 minutes in, Sugar Blue tells a story about meeting a couple of English boys.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 12:23 by GlimmerGirl24.

Re: Katch - Preserving Periscope Broadcasts
Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 12:26

Can you tweet other peoples scopes to Katch and keep it there and then share the link with everyone so they can access it?

Like this one? [www.periscope.tv]

Date: February 11, 2016 12:36

everwest1
Can you tweet other peoples scopes to Katch and keep it there and then share the link with everyone so they can access it?

I'm not sure - I'll give it a try.

Date: February 11, 2016 12:40

GlimmerGirl24
everwest1

I'm not sure - I'll give it a try.
thumbs upsmileys with beer That would be revolutionary and very very handy if it works

Date: February 11, 2016 12:43

Sugar Blue's signature:

Date: February 11, 2016 12:48

thumbs up

Date: February 11, 2016 12:50

Unfortunately, it won't work - but if we comment during the broadcasts with #katch - the Periscoper will receive a tweet asking them to add it to Katch.

"Can I record other people's livestreams?
No. But when you comment with #katch during a livestream, the broadcaster will get a tweet asking if they’d like to publish their stream once it’s over. If they get enough requests, they just might approve!

View page
Wait, can people record my livestream with Katch?!?
No. Your audience can request a replay, but you remain in control. If people comment or tweet #katch during your stream and you don't want a recording, you can simply ignore it and nothing will happen. But if you do want to save that stream, reply with #katch in the comments within 24 hours. (Follow @KatchHQ to make sure you see the alert!"

Date: February 11, 2016 13:01

Thank You GG, great info as usual!!

It seems like a no brainer for someone to want to save their concert scope to Katch (unless I am missing something). It seems if someone is going to bother to scope the whole show (which is no small effort) they might as well save their efforts for longer than 24 hours.

Now to get this information out to all scopers.

PS
Maybe YouTube will get in on this and allow (make it easily possible for) scopes to be autotransferred there.

I can only imagine the treasure trove of live events to see.

BEST IDEA SINCE SCOPING LIVE SHOWS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 13:02 by everwest1.

Date: February 11, 2016 13:15

I sent a tweet to Silvina asking her to add last night's periscope to Katch. Maybe if a few more people tweet her with the request and the Katch.me link, she'll do it. She's @aqua__.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 11, 2016 13:15

There are some methods to save Periscope streams - search after 'save periscope stream'. For Android there's e.g. an App called: Scopedown.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

A very simple method to download the Periscope stream for those who are familiar with a Command-line-box (Win/Mac/Linux):
The youtube-dl.sh recognizes the normal Periscope-URL and saves it as Transport Stream video, playable with the VLC-Player.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 14:55 by Irix.

Date: February 11, 2016 14:01

I've used the method in the first video to preserve my Periscopes before Katch. The issue with it is you need a laptop with you and the method records the scope in real time. If you're traveling - it's not very convenient. Last summer, I was up until 4 or 5am recording the scope to a laptop and then uploading it to Dropbox so people could view it past the 24 hours.

The second video lets you download the Periscope file of someone else's scope to your computer.

Both methods are great for preserving high quality video. Periscopes of Stones concerts are not that great and I'm not sure how much time and effort a Periscoper wants to put into preserving it on their hard drive.

Katch though is easy and requires three seconds of work to preserve - all you have to do is type #katch in the scope title or tweet the scope and people who are interested have more than 24 hours to watch. The Periscoper also doesn't have to worry about getting to a computer within 24 hours.

Once Katch has the broadcast, I believe you can use the method described in the first video to record it to your computer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 14:07 by GlimmerGirl24.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home