Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 5, 2022 00:49

Thanks, Hairball, Shattered & Keith Nacho!

Rolling Stones Live In The Meadowlands

The Rolling Stones perform at The Meadowlands on November 5, 1981 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
photos by Rich Pilling

l

>

Date: August 12, 2022 15:36

In Flight
by Jo Wood

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: August 12, 2022 16:41

Obviously posed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2022 08:07

exilestones

In Flight
by Jo Wood

Jo Wood...I met her once years ago at one of Ronnie's private art show openings...
She was so nice, and fun to talk to - a shame that she and Ronnie parted ways............

Date: August 26, 2022 19:50

EAST RUTHERFORD

Date: September 2, 2022 18:21

PARIS 1982

Date: September 8, 2022 23:48

NYC 1981

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2022 05:41

.... Go Scott ..... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: September 21, 2022 19:35

Keith's room at the Plaza Hotel in NYC, January 1983. It was a photo shoot
set up by a guitar-maker, who had just sent over those two guitars for Keith
to try/endorse. The photographer was Ebet Roberts and the guitar company was
called Doby. I ran some of the shots in my fanzine at the time, and I think
they may have also appeared in Guitar Magazine (or maybe Guitar Player).

Bill German

++++

Thanks, Bill German for identifying this photo with detailed information.

I see you rereleased your book "Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It) in a 2022 edition."

More photos and more stories! WOW! See you on your book tour!

Here's a list of the "Under Their Thumb" book-signing events for September and October. Note: They all take place on Saturday afternoons. Also note: The one in Philadelphia is a free walk-in event, but the other three require a ticket to attend. (Essentially, it means you're buying the book in advance. The book will be waiting for you when you arrive, and then you'll get it personally signed.)
All events will feature a monologue from Bill German, during which he'll share his humorous and behind-the-scenes Stones anecdotes.
* September 24th in Philadelphia: [www.tattooedmomphilly.com]
* October 8th in Chicago: [www.eventbrite.com]...
* October 15th in Los Angeles: [www.eventbrite.com]...
* October 22nd in Asbury Park, NJ: [www.eventbrite.com]...

TYhe new version of Bill's book:
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-03 03:39 by exilestones.

Date: September 25, 2022 14:34

The Rolling Stones in Newcastle 40 years ago - the city's biggest ever rock show!
by Dave Morton

38,000 fans watched the Rolling Stones at St James' Park, Newcastle, on June 23, 1982
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

When the Rolling Stones rolled into Newcastle to perform at St James' Park 40 years, it was the biggest rock concert the city had ever hosted.

It was the beginning of the era of 'stadium shows' in our region. The Stones' would blaze a trail and be followed by the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Queen who all drew huge crowds at St James' Park in the the years that followed.

Back on June 23, 1982, Mick Jagger and the band were in the middle of a European tour in support of their Tattoo You album, and it was six years since UK audiences had seen them in the flesh. The press called it "Europe's largest travelling show". The amount of equipment and number of people needed to keep the band rolling was astonishing.

A fleet of 26 trucks would be used to transport the gear between huge UK concerts in Newcastle, Bristol and Wembley. Among the items being hauled around the country were the sections and scaffolding for a 240 foot-long stage and a luxury portacabin fitted with a bar and table-tennis table for back-stage relaxation.

For these huge outdoor shows, the Stones were using a 100,000-watt PA system, and the performance would be illuminated by 400,000 watts of lighting. One hundred permanent road crew members and many more hired locally for each concert kept the show on the road.

Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones at St James' Park, Newcastle, June 23, 1982

For Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and co, it was a far cry from the Stones' earliest visits to Newcastle 20 years before in the early 1960s when they'd played in the small, sweaty confines of the Club a’Gogo on Percy Street.

It was warm and drizzly back in 1982 when the day of the St James' Park show arrived. There would be 38,000 in attendance and queues started forming outside the venue in the early hours ahead of the doors opening at 2pm.

For hungry fans, hot dogs were on sale for 50p, and hamburgers 60p - and as for merchandise, you could pick up a tour sweatshirt for £7. Support came from George Thorogood and the Destroyers, and the J Geils Band who’d recently enjoyed a huge hit on both sides of the Atlantic with Centrefold.

The Stones, who had been staying at the Holiday Inn in Seaton Burn, arrived at St James’ in a luxury coach just before 7pm. They were whisked backstage where in the hospitality tent, champagne flowed and fellow rock stars including Sting and members of Genesis dropped by.

Newcastle's biggest ever rock show would prove to be a triumph and the Evening Chronicle reviewer posted a highly positive write-up next day. “The drizzle reigned all night but by nightfall Mick’s magic had rained down on 38,000 fans drying their spirits and rekindling the fire of good old rock’n’roll,” we reported. "Their sell out concert at St James’ Park was a mesmerising spectacle, a non-stop musical party, an unqualified success.”

The 25-song show kicked off with Under My Thumb. Songs new and old followed, including classics such as You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, and Jumping Jack Flash.

“Jagger is still the most charismatic live performer in rock”, our man noted. “He cuts a striking figure, making full use of the 240ft-long stage, running from end to end to tease and torment in fine athletic form.

"Meanwhile, Richards seemed to be only marginally less popular than Jagger, eliciting huge cheers every time he moved to one side of the stage, with the inevitable cigarette jammed in his mouth. The band kept the level of excitement at a consistently high level throughout the two-hour set, and the enthusiasm among the good-humoured crowd didn’t flag for one second.”

Satisfaction was the inevitable encore and the show came to an end with the strains of the 1812 Overture and a spectacular firework display. And with that, the Stones were on their way to their next show at Wembley, while Newcastle United also picked up £35,000 for hosting the event.

The Rolling Stones would return to St James' Park in 1990 - and incredibly they're still treading the boards in 2022.

Date: October 3, 2022 03:34

Keith Richards plays Guitar with Gloves

Hi Exile Stones,

I found a picture of Keith, that I have never seen before!

IMO it must be from Newcastle '82, because Bill Wyman wrote in his Book,

it was @#$%&' cold at this Show!

Viele Grüße Richard.

++++

Hi Richard,

The photo is from 1982. I have never seen it before either. It probably was taken New Castle.

I haven't seen any other photos with Keith wearing gloves. Did they sell these gloves at the shows in '82?

Date: October 17, 2022 20:45

DALLAS

photos by Arron Rapoport

Date: October 26, 2022 11:38

DALLAS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-26 11:40 by exilestones.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 26, 2022 13:42

Perfect. Thanks exilestones!

Date: November 20, 2022 19:07

Paul Kersey
Perfect. Thanks exilestones!

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:01

exilestones
The Rolling Stones in Newcastle 40 years ago - the city's biggest ever rock show!
by Dave Morton

38,000 fans watched the Rolling Stones at St James' Park, Newcastle, on June 23, 1982

When the Rolling Stones rolled into Newcastle to perform at St James' Park 40 years, it was the biggest rock concert the city had ever hosted.

It was the beginning of the era of 'stadium shows' in our region. The Stones' would blaze a trail and be followed by the likes of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Queen who all drew huge crowds at St James' Park in the the years that followed.

Back on June 23, 1982, Mick Jagger and the band were in the middle of a European tour in support of their Tattoo You album, and it was six years since UK audiences had seen them in the flesh. The press called it "Europe's largest travelling show". The amount of equipment and number of people needed to keep the band rolling was astonishing.

A fleet of 26 trucks would be used to transport the gear between huge UK concerts in Newcastle, Bristol and Wembley. Among the items being hauled around the country were the sections and scaffolding for a 240 foot-long stage and a luxury portacabin fitted with a bar and table-tennis table for back-stage relaxation.

For these huge outdoor shows, the Stones were using a 100,000-watt PA system, and the performance would be illuminated by 400,000 watts of lighting. One hundred permanent road crew members and many more hired locally for each concert kept the show on the road.

Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones at St James' Park, Newcastle, June 23, 1982

For Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and co, it was a far cry from the Stones' earliest visits to Newcastle 20 years before in the early 1960s when they'd played in the small, sweaty confines of the Club a’Gogo on Percy Street.

It was warm and drizzly back in 1982 when the day of the St James' Park show arrived. There would be 38,000 in attendance and queues started forming outside the venue in the early hours ahead of the doors opening at 2pm.

For hungry fans, hot dogs were on sale for 50p, and hamburgers 60p - and as for merchandise, you could pick up a tour sweatshirt for £7. Support came from George Thorogood and the Destroyers, and the J Geils Band who’d recently enjoyed a huge hit on both sides of the Atlantic with Centrefold.

The Stones, who had been staying at the Holiday Inn in Seaton Burn, arrived at St James’ in a luxury coach just before 7pm. They were whisked backstage where in the hospitality tent, champagne flowed and fellow rock stars including Sting and members of Genesis dropped by.

Newcastle's biggest ever rock show would prove to be a triumph and the Evening Chronicle reviewer posted a highly positive write-up next day. “The drizzle reigned all night but by nightfall Mick’s magic had rained down on 38,000 fans drying their spirits and rekindling the fire of good old rock’n’roll,” we reported. "Their sell out concert at St James’ Park was a mesmerising spectacle, a non-stop musical party, an unqualified success.”

The 25-song show kicked off with Under My Thumb. Songs new and old followed, including classics such as You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, and Jumping Jack Flash.

“Jagger is still the most charismatic live performer in rock”, our man noted. “He cuts a striking figure, making full use of the 240ft-long stage, running from end to end to tease and torment in fine athletic form.

"Meanwhile, Richards seemed to be only marginally less popular than Jagger, eliciting huge cheers every time he moved to one side of the stage, with the inevitable cigarette jammed in his mouth. The band kept the level of excitement at a consistently high level throughout the two-hour set, and the enthusiasm among the good-humoured crowd didn’t flag for one second.”

Satisfaction was the inevitable encore and the show came to an end with the strains of the 1812 Overture and a spectacular firework display. And with that, the Stones were on their way to their next show at Wembley, while Newcastle United also picked up £35,000 for hosting the event.

The Rolling Stones would return to St James' Park in 1990 - and incredibly they're still treading the boards in 2022.

38,000 people? That's it? Looks to be more than 38,000 people!!!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 23:07

This is one of my favorite threads! 1982 was the first tour I saw and I have great memories of the shows. Specialy Frankfurt was outstanding! Still the No.1 of my 26 shows.

Date: November 22, 2022 17:07

micha063
This is one of my favorite threads! 1982 was the first tour I saw and I have great memories of the shows. Specialy Frankfurt was outstanding! Still the No.1 of my 26 shows.

Date: November 22, 2022 18:14

Thank you very much exilestones!!

Date: November 30, 2022 14:49

Date: December 3, 2022 06:18

July 1981 - The Rolling Stones converged on Greenwich Village in Manhattan to shoot a promotional video
for “Waiting on a Friend,” a song from their forthcoming album. With a camera crew grinding away under the
guidance of Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

The action opened with Mick Jagger sitting on a front stoop chatting with some locals. Soon he was joined by
Keith Richards, and the two strolled up the street, lipsyncing the song’s lyrics along the way. They turned
into a “local pub” (actually, the St. Mark’s Bar and Grill, a popular Village bistro), where they joined Ron Wood,
Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts — the “local band” — and the group commenced pounding out the rest of the tune.
After the filming, the Stones launched into a brief garage-band-style jam for the few patrons in the bar, while
a small crowd outside cheered.
Rolling Stone magazine

Mick, Keith and a 'Friend' named Eddie
by Joel Meyer

In 1981, Eddie lived in an apartment building that was already famous. Six years earlier,
it had been featured on the cover of Led Zeppelin's album Physical Graffiti. Then, the
Rolling Stones came knocking.

Well, to be precise, it was a music video director Michael Lindsy Hoog, who told Eddie that
"a major rock band" would be filming on his street the next day. He asked if Eddie would accept
$40 for the use of his apartment. Eddie checked with his two roommates, got their OKs, and
agreed to split the sum three ways.

The next day, Eddie was directed to sit in his window overlooking St. Mark's Place. He
ended up in the Rolling Stones "Waiting on a Friend" video.

Eddie's role was larger than he expected.

"After it came out, people I worked with went out to clubs where it was being premiered,"
Eddie says. They told him"' Oh My God, you are so in this video. You are really in this video.'
As soon as I saw it, I was shocked."

As Mick and Keith walk to the bar, the camera pauses for a moment -- about three seconds,
an eternity in a music video --- on a young blond man looking out his window. He looks like
he's daydreaming or maybe waiting on a friend of his own. That's Eddie.

He only earned about $13, but those few seconds have made him a little famous. Just a little.

"Looking back on it, I'm glad that it happened," Eddie says. "Strangers still come up to me
all the time and say, 'Oh my God, are you in that Rolling Stones video?'"

Date: December 12, 2022 17:51

Journalist/Music Writer, Kris Needs, with Keith in 1980.

I was very happy that Keith Richards liked "Before they Make Me Run," the biography I did of him, as we’d been meeting for interviews or marathon sessions since 1980. When it came out, Keith sent my friend Alan Clayton, who he’d introduced me to and was hanging out at Redlands, to go to the local bookshop and get a copy, which he then signed and sent back. Made it all worthwhile!

Which artists were most influential to you in shaping your musical tastes?

Kris Needs - The Rolling Stones. After seeing them on Ready Steady Go! In 1964, I was never the same again and basically had my attitude to life and music mapped out then (when I was 10 years old!). Apart from the rebellious aspect against school, authority, etc, and, of course, the essential place of long hair in showing it, there was the amazing music they fired out, the sex, excitement, drugs and also Keith’s passing it on theory resulting in a lifelong love of the blues and soul.

Date: December 14, 2022 22:37

SAN FRANCISCO

photos by Gary Gaar

Date: December 16, 2022 08:22

This is one of my favorite threads. 1982 was the first year, I was able to go to see them. I saw them 5x, in Hannover, Munich and Frankfurt.
I have great memories of this tour and all these great pictures and stories are realy fantastic!
Thank you everybody!

Date: December 19, 2022 22:51

PARIS

The Rolling Stones performing at the Auteuil Hippodrome in Paris, France on June 13, 1982.
(AP Photo/Pierre Verdy)

Date: December 23, 2022 18:08

Frankfurt

Date: December 27, 2022 06:31

HANOVER

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: December 27, 2022 15:31

Date: September 2, 2019 17:38

LONG VIEW FARM

Gil Markle

Gil Markle had the idea of creating a state-of-the-art recording studio in the countryside of rural America. His dream came true in 1974 when he opened Long View Farm recording Studio. Here's the story....unquote

i have been working my way through this great thread past weeks. this is a really great story.
tks very much for all your efforts here Exilestones

Date: December 27, 2022 23:38

exilestones
HANOVER

Thank you very much!
The two Hannover shows werr my first Stones shows.
I was 18 and made it also to see them in Munich and Frankfurt.

Date: December 30, 2022 17:51

NICE

Charlie at a hotel at breakfast in Nice, France in 1982
photo Denis O'Regan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home