Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 19, 2017 18:04

BOULDER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 04:32 by exilestones.

Date: September 22, 2017 04:20

RAIN AND STONES

By GLENNE CURRIE, United Press International
Sept. 28, 1981

About 75,000 fans braved an open stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y., Sunday to hear two hours of the Rolling Stones,
bringing to more than a quarter-million the attendance figures for the opening three concerts of the rock stars'
first U.S. tour in three years. The sun peeked out about 1:30 p.m. and the Stones followed at 4 p.m. with
Mick Jagger strutting on stage, dressed in red socks, blue pants and a yellow jacket, to open the show with '
Under My Thumb,' a song whose violent lyrics have drawn the protests of feminists.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 04:43 by exilestones.

Date: September 22, 2017 06:27

Security Tight for Stones Concert

Oct. 1, 1981

ROCKFORD, Ill. -- It may not be as tight as the snug pants worn by Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger,
but officials at the Metro Center stadium say security for the Stones' concert could run a close second.

'It's (security) going to be tight,' one stadium official said of the late-night concert Thursday night.

Only the 8,600 people holding tickets will be able to see the Stones, he added.

The Metro Center has its own security force, but the Rockford Police Crowd Control unit will also be on
hand to reinforce the stadium staff if needed.

The Metro Center seats about 10,000 people. Officials said the 8,600 tickets were sold by lottery.

Rockford 1981

++++++++++

The top 20 albums in the pop music field,...

Oct. 3, 1981

NEW YORK -- The top 20 albums in the pop music field, based on Billboard's survey of sales and broadcast play:

1. Rolling Stones -- Tattoo You.

2. Foreigner -- 4.

3. Stevie Nicks -- Bella Donna.

4. Journey -- Escape.

5. Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet -- Nine Tonight.

6. Dan Fogelberg -- The Innocent.

7. Rickie Lee Jones -- Pirates.

8. Pat Benatar -- Precious Time.

9. Al Jarreau -- Breakin' Away.

10. Billy Joel -- Songs in the Attic.

11. Moody Blues -- Long Distance Voyager.

12. Soundtrack -- Heavy Metal.

13. Rick James -- Street Songs.

14. Billy Squier -- Don't Say No.

15. Daryl Hall and John Oates -- Private Eyes.

16. The Kinks - Give The People What They Want.

17. Soundtrack -- Endless Love.

18. Rick Springfield -- Working Class.

19. Pretenders -- Pretenders.

20. ZZ Top -- El Loco.

Date: September 24, 2017 06:10

BOULDER

More than 60,000 fans jammed into Folsom Stadium at...

BOULDER, Colo. -- More than 60,000 fans jammed into Folsom Stadium at the University of Colorado
Saturday for the first of two shows by the Rolling Stones.

'Things went beautifully,' said Bob Webster, director of the CU Program Council, which assisted in coordinating the two-day event.

'It was a great show and we hope that things go as well on Sunday.'

The Stones, who are making their first U.S. tour since 1978, were expected to play to another capacity crowd Sunday.
Most of those attending the second concert were expected to come from surrounding Rocky Mountain states.

A Boulder County Sheriff's spokesman said that since mid-week about 50 people had been arrested, mostly on minor
charges such as loitering and public drunkenness.

The spokesman said only about five to 10 people were arrested during Saturday's concert.

'There were some drug abuse cases but most arrests were for drunkenness,' he said.

All available personnel from both the city police and county sheriff departments were on duty at an
estimated cost to taxpayers of $14,000 for overtime wages.

Waiting on Some Friends at University of Colorado Boulder

Waiting On a Friend
By Tori Peglar

Three decades ago, Mick Jagger stood in Folsom Field for the last time, dressed in a red tank top
and football pants.

As the Rolling Stones celebrate their 50th anniversary this year, many Buffs remember the band’s three
riveting performances in Folsom Field. From 1966 to 1981, the Stones toured the United States every three
years.

On Oct. 4-5, 1981, the Stones were back, joined by George Thorogood and Heart. Promoting their “Tattoo You”
album, the band arrived in two black helicopters, landing behind the stage as Heart belted out “Crazy On
You.” When the giant blue-and-pink curtains finally parted, the Stones broke into “Under My Thumb.” The
crowd stood on its feet for the two-hour performance.

During the 50-show tour, the band reaped $50 million in tickets sales, making it the largest grossing music
tour of the year. The average ticket price was $16. It was the band’s final concert in Folsom and last in
the United States until 1989.

After five decades, the legendary band may be ready for their final curtain call on the rock ‘n’ roll stage.

“I didn’t expect to last until 50 myself, let alone with the Stones,” Keith Richards has said.
“It’s incredible, really. In that sense we’re still living on borrowed time.”

photo by dmanweller

++++++++

Rain fails to Bother the Rolling Stones
Oct. 5, 1981

BOULDER, Colo. -- Light rain failed to dampen the ardor of the 58,000 fans who packed Folsom
Stadium for the last of two concerts by Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones on the University of Colorado campus.

Officials said 108,000 attended the two weekend concerts, more than doubling the population of the college
community located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 21 miles west of Denver.

Boulder was the sixth concert on the Stones' 1981 tour.

Police reported no major disturbances -- a contrast with the 1978 Stones Boulder concert, when several
hundred fans passed out from the mix of drugs, alcohol and scorching sun.

Throughout most of Sunday's concert there was a drizzle, but it didn't seem to bother the crowd as it cheered
through 25 numbers by Jagger and the Stones.

The fans, many dressed in light sweaters and rain gear, roared with approval as Jagger, clad in white football
pants and an orange-colored jacket, moved above the crowd in a cherry-picker to dispense flowers.

Police said there were less than two dozens arrests, most of which were for drug abuse and public drunkeness.

'It was really quiet,' said a Boulder police spokesman.'

A.C. Ancell, CU's event coordinator, described the event as 'smooth.'

'Things went very well,' he said.

Ancell said most of the fans at the second concert were from out-of-state.

photo by dmanweller

October 4, 1981

Posted by: marko ()
Date: September 24, 2017 07:14

Exellent! But the stage was without "curtains",and it looks a bit shorter too.

Date: September 25, 2017 03:19

marko
Exellent! But the stage was without "curtains",and it looks a bit shorter too.

I never noticed the stage being shorter in Boulder before. I suppose the curtains didn't fit the smaller stage. Thanks

The Rolling Stones at Boulder Colorado's Folsom Field on October 4, 1981
photo by dmanweller

October 4, 1981 photos by John Kelly

$16.00 to see the Rolling Stones in 1981.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: September 25, 2017 06:41

Boulder was a relatively smaller stadium but the screens weren't there because they were damaged by the high winds in Buffalo.
Jagger made up for it with stunts like climbing and even hanging upside down on that cargo net and climbing high up into the scaffolding and performing kinda like he did on SFTD on the '89 tour. Later that year in a Rolling Stone magazine article on the tour Ronnie said it all came together that weekend in Boulder. I think that very weekend was when the Stones became the '81 and beyond Stones. Almost like a B.C./A.D. thing.

Date: September 26, 2017 17:59

CLEVELAND

Charlie, Etta James, Keith and Ronnie backstage in Cleveland                 Chuch Magee & Ronnie Wood
  photos by Michael Halsband

This review was originally published in The Plain Dealer Nov. 17, 1981.

Stones Have Crowd Under Their Thumbs
  by Jane Scott, Plain Dealer Rock Writer

Richfield Coliseum

"Cleveland wants to get stoned," said a white sign held up by Allison Agrocki, 16, of
Normandy High School. The sellout crowd Monday night at the Coliseum got its chance a little after
10 when the five Stones ran on stage to "Under My Thumb." The Rolling Stones gave an intense and
electrifying show, The most expensive rock concert so far, it was worth every cent.

The Coliseum sounded like an Ohio State-Michigan football game in a boiler factory when mighty mite
Mick Jagger skipped on stage in a light-blue ski jacket, white knickers with blue knee guards, white
leggings and white shoes. He jumped in the air, twirled, danced, waved, bowed to the audience.

"You can't always get what you want," Jagger screamed, but it was obvious that the audience al-ready was
getting what it wanted.

Lights had come on and the band was on its feet almost as one person. Jagger held out the hand mike
and the crowd sang the words for him. "That's all right," he said, and went into a windmill dance step.

The show was more varied, more human and more geared to the audience than any the Stones have done here.
Jagger flashed his infrequent smile. Photographs usually show Jagger scowling or straight faced. But
even his chewing gum and tooth diamond could be glimpsed Monday night.

Keith Richards sang "Little T&A," his voice coming over quite well compared with his version of that
song in September in Buffalo, N.Y. The band played tighter than ever, much better than in its Stadium
show here three years ago.

Ron Wood, a guitarist, added a jaunty note by kicking a hat in the air before putting it on his head.
He hammed as Jagger introduced him and pulled a long colorful scarf from Jagger's jacket during
one of the numbers.

The show was up-beat, with Jagger at one point picking up a yellow bucket of water and dousing the
audience. Some of his motions have become almost as stylized as a ballet, yet he can make them seem
fresh.

On this tour, Jagger has shown a great deal of versatility. It has not been all jumping Jack Flash and
hard-hitting songs.One of his best was "Waiting on a Friend," a country-style song that has everything
but a yodel.

The show was enhanced by a saxophonist and two keyboard players, Ian Stewart and Ian McLagan. Jagger
had fun with the audience, putting on a tailored white jacket for his oldest song sung Monday night,
"Time Is on My Side," from their second album.

He also shoved up his red jersey to imitate a bra, and eventually performed bare chested.

Legendary blues artist Etta James opened the show with five songs. She may not have been the choice of
the younger set, but she delivered her numbers with strength and punch, demonstrating why
Janis Joplin copied her deep throaty voice.

Etta James 1981                                             Keith and Etta had a great friendship that Etta treasured throughout her lifetime. 

++++++++

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]
In 1987 Etta James performed "Rock & Roll Music" in the documentary film Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll with 
Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton & Robert Cray. Keith gives Etta a big hug at the end of the song.

Date: September 27, 2017 09:35

thumbprint
Boulder was a relatively smaller stadium but the screens weren't there because they were damaged by the high winds in Buffalo.
Jagger made up for it with stunts like climbing and even hanging upside down on that cargo net and climbing high up into the scaffolding and performing kinda like he did on SFTD on the '89 tour. Later that year in a Rolling Stone magazine article on the tour Ronnie said it all came together that weekend in Boulder. I think that very weekend was when the Stones became the '81 and beyond Stones. Almost like a B.C./A.D. thing.

Buffalo

Date: September 27, 2017 18:09

BUFFALO

Scroll to the right for more images. Photos #12, #13 & #16 shows the damage to the stage curtain as mentioned above.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-01 07:19 by exilestones.

Date: September 28, 2017 18:23

SAN DIEGO

San Diego State University, the Aztecs' home stadium shares its stadium with an NFL team
and, at the time, an MLB team and several rock concerts . Approximately 70,000 rock fans
jam Jack Murphy Stadium as the George Thorogood and the Destroyers warm up the crowd
for the Rolling Stones on Wednesday, Oct. 7, 1981. It is the first California stop for the
Rolling Stones on their 1981 United States tour.

(AP Photo/Heng Shing Liu)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 19:20 by exilestones.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 28, 2017 18:29

Again....just fantastic!!

Date: September 29, 2017 07:04

Stones' Concert Tickets Selling Well in Buffalo

Published: September 2, 1981

BUFFALO, Sept. 1— Fans are buying tickets at a fast pace for the Rolling Stones concert on Sept. 27 at Rich Stadium in nearby Orchard Park.

David Nathan, media director for Festival East Concerts, one of three promoters of the concert, said that 70,000 to 75,000 tickets went on sale
yesterday and that more than half were sold.

''I can tell you this,'' he said, ''Philadelphia sold two shows in two days. Boulder, Colo., sold 60,000 in eight hours. We're proceeding at a similar clip.''

The Stones will begin their 21-city tour in Philadelphia on Sept. 26. About 72,000 fans attended their Buffalo concert in 1978.

VIDEO: Under My Thumb, When the Whip Comes Down & Let's Spend the Night Together

I was at this show too (Buffalo). still have my ticket stub albeit tattered .. and man what a story ... Drove over the night before with my GF at the time and brother, camped out across the street in a field, partied like there was no tomorrow. .. I remember a guy falling from seats high up and grabbing a cable suspended above on the way down and swinging from it for dear life then was pulled back in by people in the crowd. It was captured on film too because I saw it on PBS years back in a documentary .. I also remember this guy in front of us that was so wasted on this whiskey and weed that he started pissing on the back of this guy's leg which started a massive brawl and got his ass beat by people around us and was carted away over his brother's shoulder to the first aid tent. It rained like hell but was a concert I'll never forget.?
- Scott Maxemuck

++++++

I was 15 and took a bus from Ontario over the border with four friends. I remember the guy hanging from the cable as well, the entire crowd cheered when he was pulled in. Best. Concert. Ever. I love watching the video and everyone is dancing - no cell phones distracting anyone and no one is filming. The 80's were the best.? - Dawn Hunt

more Buffalo '81: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 07:56 by exilestones.

Date: September 30, 2017 17:18

PONTIAC

Iggy Pop w/ stuff the audience threw at him during his performance. The Rolling Stones
"Tattoo You" North American Tour 1981 Silverdome, Detroit - Photo by Michael Halsband

R
I saw the first night at Pontiac (Detroit) with a lifelong buddy and two girls I can't

remember. People thought Iggy was getting booed in his hometown but getting booed and

having sh-t thrown at him is how Detroit audiences and Iggy relate and have '68.

Santana turned in a great set and the "punters" (as you Brits would call) them all said he

blew the Stones off.

The Stones were great though Jagger was said to have been under-the-weather the next night

("/Dee-troit was smokey gray / Nothing like the good old days / And I got this fever that

I'm fighting). You can't tell on the KBFH recording though.

whitem8
My first time seeing them. At the Pontiac Silver Dome in Michigan. Iggy Pop and Santana

warmed up. Iggy came out in a mini skirt and people began pelting him with beer cups,

full...so he lasted about six songs and left the stage. Then Santana did a full on forceful

set with their entire percussion section blasting away.
The Stones came on way late. Being in High School it was a rush of adrenaline. I ignored

the fact that Mick looked ridiculous in his warm up pants and football Jersey and the fact

they sounded very sloppy. It was a rush. And I loved it. Not so much for the music, but the

event.
Then when Still Life came out it was put in more clear perspective, that they traded their

darkness for bright commercial fanfare of the 80's. And in retrospect this was one of my

least favorite tours. . .

pontiac
I was there in the front row center. i am from Michigan, but i didn't know much about iggy

pop, so i didn't know what to expect.
he showed up obviously wasted & wearing black pantyhose with no underwear. it was

disgusting. his singing was terrible. after a short time, pretty much the entire audience

was chanting f-you & some were throwing things up onto the stage. iggy starting picking

some of the things up, like apples & combs. he said something about how nice it was to

find these things on the stage & the whole band soon left the stage.
it was a really weird experience. however, Santana & the Stones were both magnificent.

the stones showed up really late, maybe after midnight. many people had passed out & we

were passing them over our heads to the security guards that were behind the barrier in

front of the stage. it seemed like there was a sea of passed out people in front of us.

69firebird
I was at the Silverdome both nights. I lived in Detroit then. I was going to Wayne State

University ,and remember skipping at least one or more classes to get good seats. The first

night everyone had extra tickets and I saw people trading tickets for tee shirts. The

second night sold out that day, and NOBODY had extra tickets. They were selling tickets for

good amounts of money. Both concerts were general admission on the main floor,and general

admission in the stands.I was on the main floor on the first night, and the stands the

second night.
The second night I was running full speed down a hill toward the doors.Howevwer,when I came

to the glass doors there was a sheet of ice right in front of the glass.I had 2 choices,

either go right through the glass or slide on my butt on the ice. I chose to slide,and

almost broke my shoulder. I can still feel it sometimes to this day.
Needless to say, I now live in San Diego and the only ice I see is in my cooler with micro

beers.I hate cold weather!
Iggy was actually OK,and the people were not really booing him,but throwing anything at

him. He is the godfather of punk, and liked that. After he finished, they announced how

many combs,lighters,shoes,etc. were thrown on stage.
Afterwards Santana were really good. The Rolling Stones were by far the best band of the

evening both nights. Rumors in Detroit afterwards said that the Rolling Stones had the

flu,and some idiots started saying because of this Santana was better.That was complete

hogwash! The Rolling Stones can perform better than Santana if they were sick and

handcuffed! Mick even said that second night that it was cold in there. Well of course it

was, Detroit is freezing cold in November and December! I will be in San Diego, Detroit,

and Buffalo this summer! I love the Rolling Stones!

Iggy pop 1981

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-04 07:44 by exilestones.

Date: October 1, 2017 07:26

PONTIAC

Santana opened for the Rolling Stones in Detroit (Pontiac)1981.

Bill Graham laughing with Carlos Santana at party in 1981
photo by Ebet Roberts

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones performing Live on November 30, 1981

US Tour Pontiac Silverdome programme 1981
[rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Pontiac Silverdome

November 30, 1981 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac Michigan

Detroit was recorded for Still Life and the King Biscuit Flower Hour. Songs from the Detroit performances include "Under My Thumb," "Twenty Flight Rock,"Going to a Go-Go" and "Waiting on a Friend"
on the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio broadcasts.

December 1, 1981 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac Michigan

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-04 07:44 by exilestones.

Date: October 4, 2017 07:42

MADRID

Rolling Stones, 7 de julio de 1982
Fotografía: Ricardo Martín

Date: October 6, 2017 18:01

LONDON

Rolling Stones Wembley Stadium 1982
                                             photos by Brian Rasic

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 6, 2017 19:12

WOAF and LIB were dropped on the 82 tour, so what song was Mick Playing acoustic on ?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 6, 2017 19:21

Amazing. Thank you exile!!

Date: October 6, 2017 19:27

LONDON

photo by Lynn Goldsmith

Tour set list[edit]
The show set lists usually ran like this:
"Under My Thumb"
"When the Whip Comes Down"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"
"Shattered"
"Neighbours"
"Black Limousine"
"Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"
"Twenty Flight Rock"
"Going to a Go-Go"
"Chantilly Lace"
"Let Me Go"
"Time Is on My Side"
"Beast of Burden"
"Let It Bleed"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Little T&A"
"Tumbling Dice"
"She's So Cold"
"Hang Fire"
"Miss You"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Brown Sugar"
"Start Me Up"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

By July 1982 "Chantilly Lace" and "Let It Bleed" were dropped and past hit ballad "Angie" soon took their place.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 6, 2017 19:35

Ahh that explains it.

Date: October 7, 2017 05:05

Wembley, June 25, 1982

Under My Thumb

When the Whip Comes Down

Let's Spend the Night Together

Shattered

Neighbours

Black Limousine

Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

Chantilly Lace

Let Me Go

Time Is on My Side

Beast of Burden

Let It Bleed

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Little T&A

Tumbling Dice

She's So Cold

Hang Fire

Miss You

Honky Tonk Women

Brown Sugar

Start Me Up

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Encore:
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Date: October 7, 2017 05:09

Wembley, June 26, 1982

CD 1

01 Under My Thumb
02 When The Whip Comes Down
03 Let's Spend The Night Together
04 Shattered
05 Neighbours
06 Black Limousine
07 Just My Imagination
08 Twenty Flight Rock
09 Going To A Go Go
10 Chantilly Lace
11 Let Me Go
12 Time Is On My Side
13 Beast Of Burden
14 Let It Bleed
15 You Can't Always Get What You Want

CD 2

01 Band introduction
02 Little T&A
03 Tumbling Dice
04 She's So Cold
05 Hang Fire
06 Miss You
07 Honky Tonk Women
08 Brown Sugar
09 Start Me Up
10 Jumpin' Jack Flash
11 Satisfaction

[www.guitars101.com]

+++++++++++

[dbboots.com]

[dbboots.com]

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 7, 2017 11:40

ryanpow
WOAF and LIB were dropped on the 82 tour, so what song was Mick Playing acoustic on ?

"Let it Bleed" was very much played on the 1982 tour; it wasn't until the last quarter of the tour that they dropped the song.

Edit: I apologize: I didn't see that Exiles had already explained that LIB was played until the addition of "Angie," or that you had already responded to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 11:42 by stevecardi.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 7, 2017 11:46

Exiles, thank you again for all the hard work you're putting into this thread. I've been a Stones fanatic since 1995, and I've never seen most of these pictures from the 1981/1982 tours before.

Indeed, when it comes to forum quality and activity, you've really raised the bar for the rest of us!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: October 7, 2017 12:02

Amazing Exiles, thank you for my favourite thread>grinning smiley<

Date: October 7, 2017 13:24

stevecardi
Exiles, thank you again for all the hard work you're putting into this thread. I've been a Stones fanatic since 1995, and I've never seen most of these pictures from the 1981/1982 tours before.

Indeed, when it comes to forum quality and activity, you've really raised the bar for the rest of us!

+1. Again, thank you Exile.

Date: October 7, 2017 13:27

I remember when this tour felt like a modern day Stones tour. The first where they (Keith) looked old. That was until 1989.

Date: October 7, 2017 17:19

unknown concert 1982 - Lynn Goldsmith

Does anyone know which venue this photo was taken?

How many shows during the 1981-1982 world tour did Keith not wear his famous tattered boots?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 17:39 by exilestones.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: October 8, 2017 01:45

exilestones

unknown concert 1982 - Lynn Goldsmith

Does anyone know which venue this photo was taken?

How many shows during the 1981-1982 world tour did Keith not wear his famous tattered boots?

I thought I read in Bill Grahaam's book that they barely survived the 81 tour, and that it was a chore (and running joke) to keep those boots intact until the end of the tour. Keith gave them to Bill a a gift after the tour.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they were used in 82 at all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home