Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 27, 2017 06:23

PHILADELPHIA

Date: June 27, 2017 06:24

Date: June 28, 2017 05:39

PHILADELPHIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 18:38 by exilestones.

Date: June 28, 2017 05:43

Date: June 30, 2017 04:08

HAMPTON

Hampton Roads, VA December 19, 1981 backstage.

I was in Hampton Roads, VA for the last show of the Stones’ 1981 American tour. Michael Halsband was
the tour photographer and Govinda Gallery was about to have the first exhibition of Halsband’s
remarkable photos of musicians. Michael had invited me down to the two gigs at
Hampton Roads and took me along to the after party for that last show of the tour which was on
December 19, which happened to be my birthday. Bobby Keys and Keith Richards were both born on
December 18. The after party was also a birthday party for Keith and there was a birthday

cake with a guitar on top made out of confectionery sugar. I went up to Keith and told him it was
my birthday and he said to me “Yeah, you, me, and Bobby Keys”. Keith smiled and gave me

the little guitar on the cake which I gave to my neighbors at Govinda Gallery Laura and Amy Harney,
the first Govinda Girls, who kept it in their freezer at home for four years!

Chris Murray

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:43

exilestones
HAMPTON

Hampton Roads, VA December 19, 1981 backstage.

I was in Hampton Roads, VA for the last show of the Stones’ 1981 American tour. Michael Halsband was
the tour photographer and Govinda Gallery was about to have the first exhibition of Halsband’s
remarkable photos of musicians. Michael had invited me down to the two gigs at
Hampton Roads and took me along to the after party for that last show of the tour which was on
December 19, which happened to be my birthday. Bobby Keys and Keith Richards were both born on
December 18. The after party was also a birthday party for Keith and there was a birthday

cake with a guitar on top made out of confectionery sugar. I went up to Keith and told him it was
my birthday and he said to me “Yeah, you, me, and Bobby Keys”. Keith smiled and gave me

the little guitar on the cake which I gave to my neighbors at Govinda Gallery Laura and Amy Harney,
the first Govinda Girls, who kept it in their freezer at home for four years!

Chris Murray

HOLY SH*T !! That's 28-year-old me with the glasses standing behind Keith. I have been hoping to see a photo from this moment since 1981. Wow. Thank you, Chris.

The whole story of how I got to be there is captured here.

[iorr.org]

BTW the party was on the 18th, Keith's actual birthday, with the last show of the tour on the 19th, before they all hightailed it home for the holidays. No party that night.

And, yes I still have a piece of Keith's birthday cake in my freezer. Now I can authenticate and sell to the highest bidder (BWAH HA HA).

HBK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-30 16:10 by HouseBoyKnows.

Date: June 30, 2017 16:09

Congratulations HBK. The House Boy really does know.

Date: July 3, 2017 00:16

Date: July 3, 2017 00:30

BRISTOL

Date: July 3, 2017 17:05

BRISTOL

Date: July 4, 2017 19:37

LOS ANGELES

Date: July 6, 2017 07:23

LOS ANGELES

Keith Richards performing on their 1981 Tattoo You Tour at The L.A. Memorial Colliseum on October 11th.
Photos by Kevin Estrata

=====

"I was there! As a senior at a local university, myself and several other students worked in a variety of concession booths. Prince was also a performer.
The closing number I believe was their interpretation of the Star Bangle Banner. What an event!" docnupe38@gmail.com

=====

"I was there! Mick went over the crowd In a cherry picker and was right above my head!!! When PRINCE was on, the crowd booed him off. Nobody wanted to see
his ass. It was relatively a biker crowd in front of the stage. I thought I was gonna die there!! It Was Crazy!" Serena

====

"Front row center. Some benevolent stoners let me get in line with them around sunrise.

Stage so big, I couldn't even see Charlie.

My J. Geils, Cobo Arena, April 4, 5 and 7, 1980, t-shirt I wore was permanently dyed purple from the painted boards in front of the stage. Primitive and painful conditions."
Alan Lapointe

Date: July 8, 2017 18:38

Denis O'Regan - London 1982

Date: July 10, 2017 06:58

1981 Shanachie records. An overlooked gem by Max Romeo featuring Keith Richards among others
like Sly and Robbie and the riddim section, Augustus Pablo on Piano and the legendary percussionist Uziah
"Sticky" Thompson. This album is a far cry from his work with Lee "Scratch" Perry ( War In A Babylon) and
is more of a commercial "break through" album along the lines of Peter Tosh's albums on the Rolling Stones
label (Bush Doctor , Mystic Man and Wanted Dread & Alive) with all that being said this album is up there
as some of Max Romeo's greatest works. Keith co-produced and plays guitar on this record with Sly & Robbie
laying down the rhythms.

[PRODUCTION] PRODUCED BY: Keith Richards, Geoffrey Chung, Chinna

RECORDED AT: Channel One MIXED BY: Geoffrey Chung, Keith Richards MIXED AT: Electric Lady Studios

Arranged By – Clive Hunt, Max Romeo
Backing Vocals – Bobby Floyd, I Kong, Janis Pendarvas, Joshie Armstead, Zack Sanders
Bass Guitar – Robbie Shakespeare
Co-producer – Dan Collins, Rich Nevins
Drums – Sly Dunbar
Executive Producer – Avrom Robin, Susan Finklestein
Guitar – Earl "Chinna" Smith, Keith Richards
Horns – Barry Rodgers*, John McFadis*, Selven Powell
Keyboards – Ansel Collins, Augustus Pablo, Robbie Lynn
Lead Vocals – Max Romeo
Mixed By – Geoffrey Chung, Keith Richards
Percussion – Sticky Thompson
Sleeve – Anita Karl

Max Romeo's "Holding Out My Love To You" with Keith Richards

Geoffrey Chung and Keith Richards

Max Romeo (1944) is a Jamaican Reggae artist who managed to have an successful career outside his home island as well. He is best known for his hit albums "Wet Dream" (1968) and War Ina Babylon (1976) and for appearing as a backing vocalist on The Rolling Stones' album Emotional Rescue ("Dance"). In return of favour Keith Richards then played on and co-produced Romeo's album "Holding Out My Love to You". The Prodigy sampled his song "Chase the Devil" as "Outta Space".

Max Romeo left Jamaica for work in the US, continuing to record, perform & write those good songs. In 1981 the “Holding Out My Love To You” LP, an attempt to crossover into the American market, was co-produced by Keith Richards. After the notoriety of “Wet Dream” (banned by the BBC) he established himself with a series of early Rasta, direct & melodic political songs which were often too candid for Jamaican radio stations. “War Ina Babylon” is his masterpiece, still sounding great 40 years on. It’s an entry point for some seriously good Reggae music.

Date: July 10, 2017 06:59

Max Romeo Continued

Rocky Dijon
Not a big fan of "Holdin' Out My Love To You," but I liked his contributions to EMOTIONAL RESCUE. First pressings of the LP came with a poster of Max and Keith inside that actually increases its value if you're lucky enough to find a copy. Keith (or rather Jane Rose) objected to Shanachie Records' emphasis on Keith's name and likeness in their promotion of the LP and brought an injunction against the label to remove the poster and the sticker on the LP's plastic wrapping advertising Keith's involvement. I would imagine Max Romeo felt more than a bit slighted as well.

Date: July 10, 2017 07:00

-----

7" vinyl single - Shanachie Records SH-701

_________

Max Romeo – "Loving You" featuring Keith Richards

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 07:02 by exilestones.

Date: July 12, 2017 07:02

“There’s a big difference in Keith’s personality. His attitude to the band is much more
relaxed. He’s more secure. And of course, he’s in love.” - Chris Kimsey, 1981.

Date: July 12, 2017 10:02

I read where Keith was upset w/ M. Romeo the way his name was used on the cover of those releases.

Date: July 13, 2017 08:05

Listed as Keith and Patti - June 1, 1981

Unknown - Time Life Pictures

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 08:19 by exilestones.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2017 14:22

exilestones

Isn't this June 26, 1980, Keith jamming with Jim Carroll at The Trax New York?

Mathijs

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 05:59

Mathijs
exilestones

Isn't this June 26, 1980, Keith jamming with Jim Carroll at The Trax New York?

Mathijs

Correct.

Date: July 14, 2017 12:01

The top pics dont look like Trax. Looks more like Max's.

Date: July 15, 2017 09:47

Time Life photos - Unknown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-15 09:50 by exilestones.

Date: July 15, 2017 11:54

exilestones

Time Life photos - Unknown

Bobby Keys looks really ragged here; like a 3 day binge. Is that Womack on the right?

Date: July 17, 2017 20:59

Time Life - listed as January 1983

Date: July 20, 2017 07:48

CLEVELAND

Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones 1981 American Tour, Richfield Coliseum, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
photo by Jean Pigozzi

Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones 1981 American Tour, Richfield Coliseum, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
photo by Jean Pigozzi

Two nights in Richfield: I started working at Belkin Productions in 1979.

Through the years I've been lucky enough to work on a number of the tours in a variety of markets, "Tattoo You" in 1981,
"Steel Wheels" and a number of others. But one of my favorite memories was the November 16 and 17, 1981 shows at
Richfield Coliseum and it had nothing to do with the show, but the fabulous party after the 1st show.

Jules Belkin and the national tour promoter, Bill Graham worked together on a number of midwest shows and they couldn't
have more different personalities.

Bill had a very loud "it's all about me" personality while Jules preferred to stay in the background. It was legendary
that Bill LOVED to dance and he especially loved Salsa music.

During that time Wendy Stein, long- time Belkin Production production person and Fran Belkin were fabulous at staging
after parties for band and crew. They found a DJ that turned the coliseum party suites on level three into a Cuban night
club and Jules and Bill where challenging one another to a Salsa-off. It was electric to see. I can't remember much of
the moves that Jagger had that weekend, but it burned into my brain the night I witnessed Bill Graham and Jules Belkin
displaying "moves like Jagger."

I know it took a long time to get to the punch line, but every word is true. So now, whenever I hear the Maroon 5 song,
I'm taken back to 1981 and that wonderful night in Richfield Ohio.

-- Barry Gabel, SVP Marketing and Sponsorship Sales at Live Nation

Jules Belkin

+++++++++

The Rolling Stones with Special Guest Etta James, Nov. 16-17, 1981. It was the "Tattoo You" tour, a two-date stand for
Mick Jagger, "Keef" Richards and the gang. "You Can't Always Get What You Want," a truism of life, was among the
set highlights. The five-piece, augmented by a saxophonist and two keyboard players — Ian Stewart and Ian McLagan —
had fun with the audience. Both nights sold out; the quintessential set served as a watermark for how sets for the
Stones would play out ("Tumbling Dice," in particular) from that point on.

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

+++++++++

Their 1981 tour was the first to sell advertising rights. Jovan Musk paid the band $500,000 for co-sponsorship rights.

The Stones were touring in support of their Tattoo You album, which not a new album but an anomalous compilation of outtakes
from previous album recording sessions, dating back to the Goats Head Soup, Black and Blue, Some Girls, and
Emotional Rescue albums. Only two new tracks were recorded for the album, “Heaven” and “Neighbors,” and even the
latter song was a re-recording of a track originally planned for Emotional Rescue. The track “Heaven” featured
only three Stones – Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts.

Whenever the Rolling Stones came to Cleveland, we broke format and did non-stop hours of their music – including rare
and unreleased tracks. We called it the WMMS Rolling Stones Orgy.

For their two Coliseum shows, we went all-Stones at 4 PM and at the conclusion of each concert as the Coliseum crowd
returned to their cars for the long drive out of Richfield, we played back the 26-song set in the same order they
were performed in concert.

[buzzardbook.wordpress.com]

Date: July 20, 2017 07:54

CLEVELAND

Music remains timeless through the years
Stones concert: excellence rarely reached

By Karla Tipton Stafer Staff Writer

When the Rolling Stones rocked out of their concerts Monday and Tuesday nights with the encore
"(l Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” they reached a level of excellence that is rarely reached in rock ‘n’ roll.

The group made the Richfield Coliseum seem more intimate than its immenseness
ever allowed it to become before. “Honky Tonk Women,” ‘‘Under My Thumb,” ‘‘Brown Sugar,”
‘‘Time is on My Side,” ‘‘Let’s Spend the Night Together,” ‘‘You Can’t Always Get What
You Want” and “Start Me Up” were just a few of the songs on a list that went on and on.
The intensity of the two and a half hour performance never let up. The Stones treated
the crowd of approximately 18,600 with a respect few other groups could match. THE STAGE
was simple yet magnificent. Splashed with crayon-colored lights, the stage revolved,
displaying the band to all of the fans. Bad seats became excellent ones for at least
a third of the concert time. A special platform was set up exclusively so that Mick Jagger
and the rest of the group could play to the audience behind the stage. The fans weren’t
neglected. Each member at one time or another paid a visit to that platform, leaving the
fans in the front row wondering what was going on. dagger paid a personal visit to fans
in the lower section behind the stage. During the song “Let me Go,” dagger left the stage
and went into the crowd where he disappeared for minutes among ecstatic fans.
THAT WASN’T ALL, during “Jumping dack Flash,” Jagger jumped on a lift that took him up
and over the fans at the rear of the stage. And the crowd loved it. But the music was
the primary element, and anybody who has ever said that rock ‘n’ roll can’t age with
its fans haven’t seen the Rolling Stones 1981 model. dust a few of the highlights were
Jagger’s acoustic guitar on “Let it Bleed,” the audience’s participation during “Brown Sugar;’’
and the timelessness of “Time is on My Side.” The group played 26 songs including six from
Tatoo You.

“Going to a Go-Go,” a Smokey Robinson oldie and “20 Flight” by Eddie Cochran were the only
songs performed that were not written by the group’s songwriters, dagger and Keith Richards.
THE BAND itself, which consists of Jagger on lead vocals and occasionally rhythm guitar,
Richards and Ronnie Wood on guitar, Bill Wyman on bass and Charlie Watts on drums, proved
their professionalism and showmanship as well as their abilities to rock. The four original
members range in age from 37 to 45. Wood, the youngest member at 34, is also the newest
joining the band in 1975. The group will be 20 years old in 1982. The only personnel
changes have occurred in the same guitar spot. Mick Taylor joined in 1969 after Brian dones’
departure, and Wood filled the spot in 1975 after Taylor left at the end of 1974.
The Rolling Stones are idols to millions of people around the world whose ages range
roughly from 10 to 40. IN RICHFIELD, parents who remember when the Stones performed on the
“Ed Sullivan Show” in 1964 came with their children who only know “Start Me Up.” The Stones
are the only group in rock ‘n’ roll history who have bridged the generation gap so completely.
At the concert, the Stones and their fans showed mutual respect, and while the group played
and the fans cheered, rock ‘n’ roll was defined.

Bill Wyman, bass guitarist for the Rolling Stones, usually immobile during his performance,
took a casual stroll around the revolving stage at Monday’s show.

RS 1981 CLEVELAND 701

Date: July 21, 2017 19:07

CLEVELAND

Hype for Rolling Stones shows is questioned

Fans looking for tickets face confusion

The Rolling Stones “Tattoo You” tour has been one of the most publicized and sensationalized tours by a rock group
for years, probably since the last Stones tour in 1978. And to think, the group is playing at the Richfield Coliseum
Nov. 16 and 17! So, why the delay in the announcement of ticket information?
No one seems to know. Various rumours abound about why the ticket information was-not finally
announced until late this week. For the concert in Atlanta, Ga., tickets went on sale at 2 a.m. and sold out in
a couple of hours. IN NEW YORK, for the shows at Madison Square Gardens (which, by the way, are the shows scheduled
just before the Richfield shows), tickets were doled out by choosing names in a lottery. The lucky winners were then
sent information about where to purchase their tickets. Tickets for the New Jersey shows were distributed in a
similar fashion.

For the first time, the Stones have a sponsor for one of its tours Jovan perfume. Jovan gave the
group one million dollars in advance for the privilege of putting the Stones on the road, and so far the company has
run the tour like a circus. So what does Jovan get in return? Only the name of their perfume in every advertisement
for Rolling Stones tickets. MOST EVERYONE has noticed the exorbitant amount of ads for tickets on WMMS-FM, the station claiming
the position of “Official Rolling Stones Concert Station.” Lots of ads, for Jovan perfume as well as for tickets are
abounding, but until this week, no tickets or specific information had been announced, with the concert less than
three weeks away. Last week, WMMS ran a contest for 25 pairs of Stones tickets. The Akron Beacon Journal is also giving
away a pair of tickets.

And fans, anxious in case they don’t get tickets for the shows in Richfield, entered, fearful that they might not see
the concert. Getting a ticket for any concert should not be so difficult. Not to mention the danger involved for
so extensively hyping a group that needs so little publicity. AS ANNOUNCED Thursday by Belkin Productions,
tickets are $15.00, and available by mail order only, with a limit of four tickets per order. Checks or money orders should be made
payable to Richfield Coliseum and include a $1.50 charge per order along with a self-ad-dressed, stamped envelope. Remember,
the postage rate goes up Nov. 1 so include a 20 cent stamp. The address is P.O. Box 400. Richfield, 44286. Jovan is
drumming-up a lot of support publicity for the Stones by sponsoring this tour, as well as publicity for themselves.
Predicting doom isn’t my style, but publicity such as this can be dangerous.

Commentary Karla Tipton

++++++++++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-21 19:11 by exilestones.

Date: July 23, 2017 07:37

NEW CASTLE

Date: July 26, 2017 05:33

Jerry and Mick attending the Seabra Grimaldi 60 years party at the Pré Catelan 1982 in Paris.

Michel Dufour photos

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home