Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 15, 2017 02:05

Dance Pt 3

[www.youtube.com]

Quoting Ron Wood: "...it's a catchy riff. That was an example of a song that originated without words, just a groove with various changes, but never a chorus. We did have various alternative mixes going at the time, but I can't really tell the difference between Part I or Part II or Part III. It was just a novelty, the Pt. 1 bit."

"If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2)"

I stand accused of talking
But I feel that we are falling
In the same old groove
The radio is playing
Spitting out the same old news

It's time to get up, get out
Get out into something new
Time to get up, get out
Out into something new

Everybody wants somebody's fantasy
Everybody wants somebody's crazy dreams

If I was a woman, I would want a new man every night
If I was a politician, make sure I was the best in sight

The poor man eyes the rich man
Denigrates his poverty
The rich man eyes the poor man
And envies his simplicity

If I was a movie star, five million dollars would be my price
If I was a trucker, I'd drive for seven days and seven lonely
Nights
If I was a drummer, I would never miss the beat
If I was a dancer, y'all would never see my feet
If I was a hooker, a thousand dollars would be my price, all right
If I was a candidate for President, I'd make sure I had a steady wife
If I was a millionaire, I'd spend all my money in one crazy night

I am what I am
Yeah, my my boss I am what I am
My dreams can't be bought Yeah, I said now
I tear across the dollar Just to end this day with you Yeah, I am what I am
I am my own boss Everybody wants somebody's crazy dreams
Everybody want somebody's fantasy

Everybody want somebody's fantasy

More: Dance Pt 2
[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-15 04:10 by exilestones.

Date: March 15, 2017 04:31

Sucking in the Seventies is the fourth official compilation album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1981.

Sucking in the Seventies

All tracks on Sucking in the Seventies except "Shattered" and "Everything Is Turning to Gold" were mixed or edited for
this release. "When the Whip Comes Down" is presented in an otherwise unreleased live version, recorded in Detroit on the
1978 tour.

"If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)" is a longer and different mix and containing different lyrics from "Dance (Pt. 1)",
the opening track on Emotional Rescue (1980). The Rolling Stones' #1 hit of this period, "Miss You", is not included on
this compilation.

Side one

"Shattered" – 3:46
From Some Girls (1978)

"Everything Is Turning to Gold" (Jagger, Richards, Ronnie Wood) – 4:06
B-side to "Shattered" (1978)

"Hot Stuff" – 3:30
Edited version from Black and Blue (1976)

"Time Waits for No One" – 4:25
Edited version from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (1974)

"Fool to Cry" – 4:07

Side two

"Mannish Boy" (Ellas McDaniel, Mel London, McKinley Morganfield) – 4:38
Edited version from Love You Live (1977)

"When the Whip Comes Down" (Live version) – 4:35
Recorded live in Detroit on 6 July 1978

"If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)" (Jagger, Richards, Wood) – 5:50
Previously unreleased, from the Emotional Rescue sessions (1980)

"Crazy Mama" – 4:06

"Beast of Burden" – 3:27
Edited version from Some Girls (1978)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 16, 2017 03:10

Exilestones,

"Sucking in the Seventies is the fourth official compilation album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1981."

4th?

High Tide and Green Grass
Through The Past Darkly
Hot Rocks
Hot Rocks II
Made In The Shade

Wouldn't "Sucking In The 70's" be the 6th?

Pecman

Date: March 16, 2017 08:04

Pecman
Exilestones,

"Sucking in the Seventies is the fourth official compilation album by The Rolling Stones, released in 1981."

4th?

High Tide and Green Grass
Through The Past Darkly
Hot Rocks
Hot Rocks II
Made In The Shade

Wouldn't "Sucking In The 70's" be the 6th?

Pecman

"It must be true if it's on the Internet ;0)." - Justin Crawford

Date: March 16, 2017 08:26

SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES

Originally released in 1981, this album features cuts and rarities including, 'Everything Is Turning To Gold', When The Whip Comes Down', & 'If I Was a Dancer' (Dance Part 2).

Originally Posted by: Rockman

++++++++++++

There's a certain smarmy charm in the Rolling Stones titling a compilation of their work from the second half of the '70s Sucking in the Seventies -- it seemsthe music they made
in that decade was something that many critics and fans dismayed by the group's infatuation with glitzy disco and tabloid grime would no doubt argue.

It is indeed true that the Stones, led by the ever-fashionable Mick Jagger, descended into a world of sleaze, one seemingly far removed from the dangerous blues-rockers of the '60s, who
were concerned enough about their blues credibility.

That 60's incarnation of the Rolling Stones was a distant memory at the end of the '70s, when the group was freely dabbling with disco, reggae, and never-ending elastic grooves, and pumping

up their sound with punchy horns and slick backing vocalists. Sometimes this resulted in great music, as in the terrific 1978 masterwork Some Girls, which took on disco, punk, and new wave
in equal measure, while retaining the signature Stones feel.

Sometimes, the group would stumble, as they did on the uneven but intermittently entertaining 1976 LP Black and Blue (heavy on reggae and jams) and 1980's Emotional Rescue (heavy on disco
and dance). Those three albums are more or less covered on Sucking in the Seventies, an unwieldy collection of hits, outtakes, live cuts, and album tracks that plays fast and loose with the
time line (it reaches back to 1974 for "Time Waits for No One," while not including anything but outtakes from Emotional Rescue, and managing to overlook their biggest hit of the second
half of the '70s -- 1978's "Miss You," the biggest and best disco track they ever did.

This doesn't come close to compiling all their best songs from the second half of the '70s -- for instance, the monumental "Hand of Fate," easily the greatest song on Black and Blue, isn't
here -- but the amazing thing is that Sucking in the Seventies captures the garish decadence and ennui of the band better than the proper albums from this period. Not that this is a better
record than Some Girls, which had the same sense of trash but also a true sense of hunger and menace underpinning the restless music, but it is better than either Black and Blue or
Emotional Rescue, since it gleefully emphasizes their tawdry disco moves while illustrating that the band could either be deliciously tacky in concert (the version of "Mannish Boy"
pulsating on a gaudy clavinet shows how bloated the Stones were in the mid-'70s, but the passage of time has made that rather ingratiating) or as muscular and mean as they were at their
peak (a previously unreleased version of "When the Whip Comes Down," which tears by at a vicious pace).

On the surface, the studio outtakes of "Everything Is Turning to Gold" and "If I Was a Dancer" (which is merely the second part of Emotional Rescue's opening cut, "Dance, Pt. 1") aren't all
that remarkable, but they're good, stylish grooves, and when placed in the context of other disco-rock, slick ballads, and overblown blooze, they help make Sucking in the Seventies into a
kind of definitive document. If you want to know what the Stones sounded like at the end of the '70s, why they earned scorn from longtime fans while continuing to rule the charts, this is
the record you need. It may not give casual fans all the hits they want, and for some hardcore fans, this will remind them of why they stopped listening to the Stones, but for a few others,
this is a wonderful celebration of all the group's '70s sleaze, an LP that was designed to be a shoddy cash-in compilation, but wound up revealing more than the group ever realized.

+++

Overall, though, it's a fun romp through their mid-to-late 70s material.

- nojmplease

+++

It was supposed to be the follower to Made In The Shade released in 1975. I guess they tried to do something different from previous compilations.

+++

Ever eager for a few extra dollars to pay for their extravagant lifestyle, The Rolling Stones were no strangers to compilations, and the masters of recycling their own material ad nauseam
(Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Rolled Gold, the list is almost endless). Sucking in the Seventies could be described as yet another cynical grab for cash, and I would have to agree, except
what makes this collection worth owning is the inclusion of a few rarities and hitherto unreleased tracks you can’t find anywhere else. Some other good news (for those who truly care about
such things) is that most tracks were remixed specially for this release, although the bad news is that many of them had to be edited in order to fit on to the album. But that is not

necessarily as unpleasant as it sounds. “Hot Stuff”, off Black and Blue, benefits from having nearly two minutes cut from its original length of 5:20. It’s essentially the same ‘Hot Stuff’
as before, but just a little shorter. Although where the editing arguably does do a disservice is on the two other Black and Blue numbers, “Fool to Cry” and “Crazy Mama”. Why anyone would
take a couple of the better songs from that LP and condense them just doesn’t make much sense; almost a whole minute in the case of the former, and nearly a half-minute from the latter. Oh
well. I guess they thought that the remixes would be enough to please the fans. Likewise “Time Waits for No-one”, a fine tune made even finer by Mick Taylor’s sultry and sophisticated

guitar playing. Here it fades out too soon, denying any newcomer of the beauty of Taylor’s solo at the end. “Beast of Burden” is so truncated it might as well not even have been included.

“Shattered” is the only track spared from the editor’s knife, but as I’ve never been all that enamoured with it, such a reprieve perhaps doesn’t really matter (perhaps it would have been
best to exclude it so as to allow more space for some of the other tracks?).

But now let’s talk about the actual reason why I bought this album in the first place. Side one’s “Everything Is Turning to Gold” was the b-side to “Shattered”, and although the song itself
is not all that important, as far as the Stones are concerned, its inclusion here is most welcome (and it hasn’t been edited), and captures the group at their late 70’s bloated best.

Similarly with “When the Whip Comes Down”, from the same period, only this version was recorded live in Detroit on 6 July 1978. It’s the only song I’m aware of where the Stones (i.e.
Jagger/Richards) went out of their way to write an outwardly blatant gay song. One thing’s for sure, it leaves its studio companion in the dust in terms of energy. The final nugget is “If I
Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)”, an outtake from the Emotional Rescue sessions. A funky, almost disco oriented number, there can be little doubt this was more Jagger’s thang than it was
Richards. Still, good on old Keef and crew for indulging Jagger on occasion with his club-oriented misdemeanours. However as if to make amends, they chose to include “Mannish Boy”, a song
which needs no introduction to anyone who has an even passing interest in the blues. Recorded live at the El Mocambo Tavern, Toronto, and taken from 1977’s double LP Love You Live, amongst
everything else, it’s the one track which stands out the most, as if to remind the listener that through all the debauched disco, and modern change in their music, the blues was still at
the core of their essence, and the very reason the band existed in the first place.

At the end of the day Sucking in the 70s is hardly essential, especially in the age of YouTube, where just about any rarity can be heard for free. But what it does do is successfully
capture some of the dangerous decadence not to mention insolence for which the Stones were always famous for, albeit inadvertently I’m sure. And until Tattoo You, this was about as close as
anyone got in terms of audio archaeology. It’s just a shame that the cd release is a straight transfer, without any bonus tracks, nor the songs themselves appearing in their original
unabridged form. However if you ever see in your local record store’s ten dollar bin, and haven’t as yet heard those rarities I was referring to earlier, pick it up. I guarantee you won’t
be disappointed. And what about the phallic album cover?

------------SUCKING IN THE 70S ----------------
Special Thanks:
All above artwork originally posted by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 17:11 by exilestones.

Date: March 18, 2017 17:04

Rolling Stones Sucking In The Seventies - Longbox US CD album (CDLP)

[huizeblom.demon.nl]

Sucking In The 70´s
US VIRGIN/EMI 2005
Promo CD-R w/ promo EMI letter inside
2-sided insert w/ album cover and info on back

[rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Japan 1981 10-track LP, picture sleeve with inner sleeve plus Japanese/English fold-out insert and picture obi-strip ESS-81425

[www.atwmusic.com]

Censored Sucking in the Seventies - Korea EMI - Stiker Manifacture Property Not For Sale Song Censored - Crazy Mama, When The Whip Comes Down & Mannish Boy - Different track list plus Happy

[stonesworldcollection.blogspot.com]

Rolling Stones Sucking In The Seventies Brazilian vinyl LP album

If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2) (A strange one and probably the rarest post seventies New Zealand Stones 7" in existance. In 1981, this solid centre 7" was issued to promote the 'Sucking In The Seventies' album release and contained the vocal and instrumental versions of the track in a custom picture sleeve. This track was the only new track on the album and was never released on 7" anywhere else in the world, making this New Zealand oddity one of a kind.

Rolling Stones Sucking In The Seventies Taiwanese CD album

Sucking In The Seventies Japanese Promo vinyl LP album

+++++++++

British rock establishment sees serious trouble Stones 'Sucking in the '70s'
By KARLA TIPTON

Sucking in the Seventies by the Rolling Stones, Rolling Stones Records, 1981. Luckily, greatest hits albums are made
for a band’s “peripheral” fans. Sucking in the Seventies is the perfect album for people who sort of like the Stones
and want an interesting collection of the band’s recent material. The album is not for the die-hard fans the Stones
tend to cultivate. That’s because the album will offend very serious fans, causing them to ask, “Have the Stones
sold out?” ' THE CHOICE of “greatest hits” material is superb. The songs are not too obvious (“Miss You” isn’t even
included), but what potential the songs may have had on this album is cut in half. The “border” fans will never
really notice the missing choruses and faded-out endings, nor will they probably care. But the fanatical followers will
be appalled to learn that most of the songs have been cut by at least a minute and many up to two minutes. The album
has the makings of a K-tel super-hits collection, complete in the most incomplete way. “Shattered,” from the
Some Girls album, begins side one and is the only “hit” song on the album that is not cut. EVERYTHING MOVES along fine
with the second cut, “Everything is Turning to Gold,” which was previously available only as the flip side of “Shattered.”
With “Hot Stuff’, however, anyone familiar with the Stones will notice that it is shorter than usual. When “Time Waits for No One,”
from It’s Only Rock and Roll begins to fade out during Mick Taylor’s guitar solo (the best thing he did with the Stones in the five
years he was with them) the disgusted fan will be ready to throw things across the room. THE REST of the songs on the album follow
suit, and are equally butchered, especially “Fool to Cry” and “Beast of Burden.” For a band that has put out top-rate
greatest hits packages in the past, such as Made in the Shade and the two Hot Rocks collections, Sucking in the Seventies is
disillusioning as well as disappointing. IF FANS buy the album, it’s not because it’s a good greatest hits album, but because
the Stones have included two never-before-released tracks. “If I Were a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)” is the most profound song on
the album. It’s the sister of “Dance (Pt. 1)” from Emotional Rescue, but is funkier and “jives” better. Another new point
of interest is a punchy live version of Some Girls’ “When the Whip Comes Down,” from the U.S. tour of ’78. FOR THE moment, all
we can do is give the Stones the benefit of the doubt and hope that they were just rushed to put out something before their
(rumored) U.S. tour. For someone who is fan enough to buy an album for one or two new songs, the album is worth it. But these
same fans will probably decide that Sucking in the Seventies is appropriately titled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 17:07 by exilestones.

Date: March 19, 2017 04:04

Did two threads get merged here?

Date: March 19, 2017 08:42

Chuck Berry, right, laughs with fellow guitarist Keith Richards at New York's Studio 54 on Feb. 28, 1980.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: March 19, 2017 19:36

Palace Revolution 2000
Did two threads get merged here?

Was wondering the same thing. How did we get so off track here?

Date: March 19, 2017 23:27

SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES

gif artist unknown

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-08 18:17 by exilestones.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 20, 2017 06:49

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 20:15 by Plink.

Date: March 25, 2017 17:59

Michael Halsband photo

Date: March 28, 2017 07:43

Michael Halsband photos 1981 (probably Orlando)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-28 07:47 by exilestones.

Date: March 30, 2017 06:52

Michael Halsband photo

Date: March 31, 2017 09:34

photo by Michael Halsband 1981

Date: April 3, 2017 03:31

Michael Halsband 1981

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 03:36 by exilestones.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 3, 2017 03:48

great posts

Date: April 3, 2017 04:25

Where is Bill Wyman and Ian Stewart?

That's Bill Graham next to Mick...correct?

Pecman

Date: April 4, 2017 07:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-18 14:12 by exilestones.

Date: April 5, 2017 08:04

Michael Halsband photo, Ian McLagan & Charlie Watts November 16 or 17, 1981 Richfield Coliseum Cleveland, Ohio Capacity 18,500

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 18:15 by exilestones.

Date: April 7, 2017 09:54

ATLANTA

Michael Halsband photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-07 19:32 by exilestones.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 7, 2017 12:24

thumbs up

Date: April 10, 2017 08:59

UK TV Interview -The Tube by Jules Holland, October 1983

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 10, 2017 09:11

Mick Jagger laughs with papparazzi photographers while leaving a London nightclub in May 1983. Credit: Tom Stoddart

Date: April 10, 2017 09:18

Celebrities at Heathrow Airport: Dennis Stone photography

"Mick's always been fun and doesn't mind me taking his picture - he even said that on film on the BBC Airport series. In those days the VIP Concorde lounge was next to the TWA and Pan Am VIP lounges so you could sit in one spot and watch all the celebrities turn up. Mick was at the height of his fame here although he's still very famous. I never got a picture of him and his ex-wife Bianca. They would go out at different times to split the press up. Celebrities all have their own games they play with us. That's part of the fun!"

Date: April 11, 2017 06:09

I think Keith only wore these shoes once on the tour(s). I'm not sure which show.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 20:16 by Plink.

Date: April 12, 2017 09:27

Plink
^^
I saw Keith wear those shoes in Chicago. I attended 3 gigs and can't recall if he wore them for all 3. His beloved boots must have been in the repair shop.

Nice detective work! Thanks!

Keith wore these shoes November 24th 1981 Rosemont Horizon!

Kirk West photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 09:36 by exilestones.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:10

Thank you exile! Great thread.

Date: April 13, 2017 06:51

Is there any way we can turn this thread into a book?

The best thread I have ever read on IORR.

Pecman

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home