Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 30, 2016 00:58

Mick Jagger and Pete Townshend-Trax Nightclub, NYC,1981 -David McGough                                           David McGough

In April 1981 The Who's U.K. tour over and an announced European tour cancelled, The Who go their separate ways. 
Roger and his family travel to Miami for vacation, John returns to work on his solo album and Pete travels to 
New York to make demos for his next solo album. While there he joins The Rolling Stones who are finishing their 
album Tattoo You, laying some guitar on the track "Slave."
[www.thewhothismonth.com]

_________

"Slave" is a song by The Rolling Stones on their 1981 album Tattoo You.
Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, "Slave" was originally recorded 
in Rotterdam, Netherlands, using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio in late January or early February 1975. 
During that time, the Rolling Stones were faced with the unexpected challenge of filling the recently vacated position 
of second guitarist, after the abrupt departure of Mick Taylor. The track features Billy Preston on electric 
piano and organ (although the organ could also have been played by Ian Stewart). The Who's Pete Townshend provided 
backing vocals for the recording and one of saxophonist Sonny Rollins' three performances on tracks for the 
album appeared as well. Percussion by Ollie E. Brown was recorded in 1975, with Mike Carabello adding conga during 
the 1981 overdub sessions. "Slave" was the result of the Stones' experiments with funk and dance music 
during the Black and Blue recording sessions of 1974/75. Keith Richards 
provide the electric guitar part for the song, 
with Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman supporting on drums and bass, respectively.

The Virgin Records reissue of "Slave" contains an additional 90 seconds of the song. 
[en.wikipedia.org])

_______

810400C  April - June: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only 
                    MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios. Producers: 
                    The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey. Additional musicians: 
                    Sonny Rollins (sax on Neighbours, Slave and Waiting On A Friend); Mike 
                    Carabello (perc on Start Me Up, Slave & Waiting On A Friend), Chris Kimsey & 
                    Barry Sage (handclaps on Start Me Up), Jennifer & Susan McLean (backing vocals 
                    on Neighbours), Pete Townshend (bvoc on Slave).

- Slave III (MJ/KR) -different sax
                   - Slave IV (MJ/KR) -’Tattoo You’-version
                   - Slave V (MJ/KR) -longer version IV, remastered ‘Tattoo You’-version
[www.nzentgraf.de]

--------

The original version recorded in 1974 featured Billy Preston on organ, Jeff Beck on guitar, and Nicky Hopkins on piano. Their parts were erased when it was reworked.

Originally recorded at the Black And Blue sessions in 1974, this song went on for a while and was called "The Black And Blue Jam" before being reworked for Tattoo You.

Jazz great Sonny Rollins was brought in to play sax.
Pete Townshend from The Who sang backup.

The CD version of Tattoo You contains an extra 90 seconds.
[www.songfacts.com]

-----

[www.youtube.com]

-----

"Slave" as released only features the one guitar, played by Keith, from the original 1975 recording. Woody's later (1981?) overdubs were not used at all. As heard on the unedited track (from unofficial recordings) Ron's guitar not only sounds like an overdub but he had a gawdawful horrific sounding tone going on...they made the right decision to scrap his guitar track IMO.

ohnothimagen

The great Time Is On Our Side pages say its Keith:

Slave

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards 
  Recording date: January-February 1975, October-December 1980 & April-July 1981 
Recording locations: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Rotterdam, Netherlands; Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France; Mobile Unit, 
warehouse, Paris, France; Atlantic Studios, Electric Ladyland Studios, Hit Factory & Power Station, New York City, USA 
Producers: The Glimmer Twins        Chief engineers: Keith Harwood, Glyn Johns & Chris Kimsey 

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts 
Bass: Bill Wyman 
Electric guitars: Keith Richards 
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger 
Background vocals: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards & Pete Townshend 
Electric piano: Billy Preston
Organ: Billy Preston 
Saxophone: Sonny Rollins 
Cowbells: Ollie Brown or Mike Carabello
Timbales: Ollie Brown
Conga drum: Mike Carabello

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Didn't Pete Townshend play on this one, or was it another track on Tattoo You?
Backing Vocals on Slave only

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

--------

100 Greatest Rolling Stones Songs - Rolling Stone magazine

97. "Slave" (1981)

Like almost everything on Tattoo You, this grunting, growling stomp was recorded years earlier – in Rotterdam, during 
the Black and Blue sessions. It's a five-minute, cowbell-thwacking jam, with funky organ from Billy Preston and 
the great Sonny Rollins on sax. It's also a superb showcase for the range of Jagger's voice, which leaps from 
soul-man falsetto to bluesy moans.

[www.rollingstone.com]

---------

As with most of the 1981 Rolling Stones album ‘Tattoo You,’ ‘Slave’ was a leftover track from various ’70s sessions. In this case, an unused track from the ”Black And Blue’ sessions. It’s funk groove would have made a perfect fit on that 1976 album, too, but we’re just glad this lost song found a good home.
The band dish up a solid funk groove with the right amount of sleaze and grind. Essentially, it’s an instrumental as the only real lyrics are “Do it, do it, do it, don’t wanna be your slave” repeated, well, repeatedly.

Read More: No. 75: ‘Slave’ – Top 100 Rolling Stones Songs | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

---------

The full performance of Slave, as recorded in 1975, lasts close to ten minutes. In 1981 the tape was dusted off, remixed and a saxophone overdub added. The unedited 1981 master runs 8:47. The track was eventually parred down to 4:59 for the release of Tattoo You. When the album was remastered in 1994, the wrong tape was pulled (at least I assume it was unintentional) and that is how we got the 6:32 version.
GuyDon

---

I was hoping that the reason the long version was used on the remaster was to finally restore Sonny Rollins' saxophone solo to its intended length.
Jose Jones

---

I seem to remember reading something at the time (I think in ICE) that they used the longer version on purpose, along with a longer version of Luxury on It's Only Rock N' Roll.
Steve-oh

---

Hey guys - here's something interesting that I noticed. I'm doing my own remasters of the Stones catalog because I'm never satisfied - right now I'm doing Tattoo You - and I noticed something interesting - the original CBS CD has tape leader between all of the songs, except "Slave", which fades to digital silence at the end and beginning - however, the Virgin remaster has tape leader between *every* song, inlcuding "Slave". I suppose this means that the original banded LP master has the "long" Slave, and the old CD used the same tape but they cut "Slave" out of the file, edited it down to the original LP length, and re-insterted it back in there. I suppose this also means that the original LP was cut from a dub with "Slave" edited. In other words, "Slave" wasn't taken from a different tape and re-inserted in there (on the Virgin remaster). That's just how it is on the original master tape. I haven't done "It's Only Rock & Roll" yet but I suspect that it might be the same story with "Luxury".

Juan Samus

---

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

---------

Slave Rehearsal year?
[www.facebook.com]

Is there anyway to capture this video above?

---------

Pete Townshend 1981 by Martyn Goddard

Date: December 30, 2016 00:59

I'd like to hear the original Slave as mentioned above. Is it available online?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 01:19 by exilestones.

Date: December 31, 2016 01:28

Floating Mick by Scott Smith

Date: December 31, 2016 01:31

Start Me Up promo 45 Italy 1981

Date: January 2, 2017 19:42

Philip Kamin

Date: January 4, 2017 07:52

The Rolling Stones at S.I.R. Studios on June 30, 1981 in New York City where they shot four promotional videos to support the Tattoo You album.

G

Drummer Charlie Watts gets ready to shoot a promotional videos for Tattoo You.

Ron and Keith share a moment before shooting the "Start Me Up" promo video.

Mick looks well rested and ready to go!

Date: January 4, 2017 07:53

--------------

Bassist Bill Wyman plays bass during the "Start Me Up" video at S.I.R. Studios in New York City.

Guitarist Ron Wood (in the center), Bill Wyman (L) and Keith Richards (R) take a break after shooting the promom vieo for "Start Me Up."

David Gahr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-04 07:54 by exilestones.

Date: January 4, 2017 08:12

[www.youtube.com]
"Start Me Up" Official Promo Video

Date: January 4, 2017 08:12

[www.youtube.com]
Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon 'Start Me Up' (MSG - January 7, 2016)

Date: January 9, 2017 19:33

SAN FRANCISCO

Special Thanks to Palace Revolution 2000 and Jean Marie

[yesterdayspapersoftherollingstones.blogspot.fr]

Date: January 9, 2017 21:13

exilestones
SAN FRANCISCO

Special Thanks to Palace Revolution 2000 and Jean Marie

[yesterdayspapersoftherollingstones.blogspot.fr]

I would kill for that T Shirt. The modern era TShirts I couldnt care less for, but this one is primo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-09 21:13 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 10, 2017 02:34

Guitarist Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones, his wife Jo Wood and singer Tina Turner in New York City, 1983. (Photo by Denis O'Regan/Getty Images)

Mick Jagger laughs with papparazzi photographers while leaving a London nightclub in 1983. Credit: Tom Stoddart/Getty Images

Rolling Stones Let’s Spend the Night Together (1983)

Listed as 1983

Keith Richards dad Bert Richards 1983 NYC cliff

Rolling-Stones-SS-1983-Vintage-Party-Set
1 tablecloth, 1 pack of 8 invitations,
1 pack of 16 small napkins,
1 pack of 8 dessert (small) plates,
1 pack of 8 cups.

Date: January 10, 2017 02:37

Still Life 1983 West German Import Target CD

1983 original West German import CD with yellow/red "target" label.
Manufactured by Polygram for export to the US and international markets.
"Printed in West Germany" inlay.
See tray card scan for track listing and recording info.
Matrix: 7567 90102-2 2893 043 02.
No barcode.

This disc was withdrawn shortly after release when Atlantic/Warner
lost the distribution rights to Rolling Stones Records.

Includes original "smooth edge" jewel case.

[www.ebay.com]

Date: January 10, 2017 02:59

1983 Stickers

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 10, 2017 17:29

exilestones

Guitarist Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones, his wife Jo Wood and singer Tina Turner in New York City, 1983. (Photo by Denis O'Regan/Getty Images)

This is backstage in New Jersey, 1981.

Mathijs

Date: January 10, 2017 19:15

Mathijs
exilestones

This is backstage in New Jersey, 1981.

Mathijs

Thank you! We have a great community here at IORR with everyone helping and being nice to each other.

It looks like Tone is wearing a back stage pass. Is this East Rutherford?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 19:16 by exilestones.

Date: January 10, 2017 19:48

Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones with musician Julian Lennon, circa 1983. (Photo by Denis O'Regan/Getty Images)

This photo was also listed as 1983. Any idea when and where it's really from? Thanks!

Date: January 10, 2017 19:52

The photo above looks like it was taken in the same day as the ones below due to the clothes they were wearing.

Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones with Jamaican ska and reggae performer Jimmy Cliff, 1982. (Photo by Denis O'Regan/Getty Images)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 19:55 by exilestones.

Date: January 10, 2017 19:57

1982 Denis O'Regan

Date: January 10, 2017 19:59

Denis O'Regan 1982

Date: January 10, 2017 20:03

Keith with knife 1982 Denis O'Regan

Which show did Keith wear this shirt?

Date: January 10, 2017 20:04

Date: January 11, 2017 07:37

Journalist Lisa Robinson with Keith Richards in 1980.

Few people can say they’ve gone on tour with The Rolling Stones and hung out at the Ritz with Keith Richards.

Date: January 11, 2017 07:58

January 27, 1983: Tina performing at The Ritz

"Every Tina Turner appearances there between 1981 & 1983 were crucial in terms of friendship and business. From appearing on stage with Rod Stewart and touring with The Rolling Stones to finally getting Capitol Records attention thanks to David Bowie, it all happened there in New York. The Ritz would become the nest of 'the Phoenix that would rise from her own ashes.'"
[tinaturnerblog.com]

Keith Richards, Tina Turner & David Bowie Backstage - The Ritz, NYC, 1983

Bob Gruen photos (except top photo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 07:59 by exilestones.

Date: January 11, 2017 22:11

Steve Forbert and Keith Richards at the Ritz in 1983

Keith Richards, Lisa Robinson and John McEnroe backstage at the Ritz in New York City after a Tina Turner show in 1983.

Date: January 12, 2017 08:56

CLASSIC TRACKS: The Rolling Stones 'Start Me Up'
Engineer: Chris Kimsey
Recording
Published April 2004
By Richard Buskin

Chris Kimsey

In 1981, 'Start Me Up' became one of the Rolling Stones' biggest hit singles. Yet it was actually
a reject from a previous session, and only saw the light of day because its infamous co-writers had fallen out...

Released in August 1981, Tattoo You is widely regarded as the Rolling Stones' last great album; an ingenious division of rock tracks on one side and ballads on the other captures "the world's greatest rock & roll band" close to their best. Nevertheless, despite the confident musicianship and apparent consistency of material, the record was actually little more than a compilation of tracks that had been discarded from previous albums, with virtually no new input from the musicians themselves. And it was Chris Kimsey who devised this idea out of necessity.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you see, were no longer on the best of terms. While the guitarist wanted the band to remain true to its rock and R&B roots, the frontman was more interested in movie acting and following contemporary trends, and the result was that neither fancied spending their nights together in the studio. So when the band's financial adviser, Prince Rupert Loewenstein, decreed that it was time to deliver a new album, Kimsey came up with the solution.

"Since I'd recorded a number of songs during Some Girls and Emotional Rescue that they'd never used, I assumed there must be other bits and pieces lying around," he explains. "So, I spent a couple of months going through all their tapes and I found these gems: 'Waiting On A Friend' and 'Tops' were from the Goat's Head Soup sessions; 'Slave' and 'Worried About You' were from Black & Blue; 'Start Me Up' was from Some Girls; and 'Hang Fire', 'Little T&A', 'Black Limousine', 'Neighbors', 'Heaven' and 'No Use In Crying' were from Emotional Rescue. I did rough mixes at Olympic of everything I'd found, sent them to the band members, and then began working on the tracks.
CLASSIC TRACKS: 'Start Me Up'

"Only 'Waiting On A Friend' was already complete. The main thing missing from most of them was Sir Mick's vocal, because he hadn't finished writing the lyrics, so those parts were recorded in Paris in mid-1981. They'd rented a bloody warehouse on the edge of the Peripherique [ring road] in a horrible part of the city — all industrial sites and train sidings... no restaurants! I don't know who'd found the warehouse, but it was big and cheap, they put the mobile truck inside there, and it was so cold that, when Mick did the vocals, you could see icy breath coming out of his mouth. I remember that place to this day. It was absolutely diabolical."

Not that the other band members were too concerned about this. After all, none of them showed up — Keith, who lived in Paris, would only show his face during the New York mix sessions. Instead, Kimsey was pretty much left to his own devices, and, fortunately for his blasé employers, he turned out an album that would top the US charts for nine weeks on the strength of an extensive stadium tour and the smash hit singles 'Start Me Up' and 'Waiting On A Friend'.

Orange Hessian Cubes

The definitive latter-day Stones rocker, 'Start Me Up' is distinguished — like many of the band's other classic tracks — by an instantly recognisable opening guitar riff. However, it actually started life as a reggae song, committed to tape in March 1975 during the Black & Blue sessions, before being cast aside and re-recorded with a totally different arrangement at EMI's Pathé Marconi Studios in Paris in January and March 1978.

"That was another bizarre environment," Kimsey remarks. "The live area was a huge oblong, but you couldn't see the left-hand side of it at all from the control room at the far end. What's more, the walls were decorated with these goddamn awful orange hessian cubes and white pegboard — a classic case of the French going for moderne and getting it horribly wrong. It was awful. The only thing I liked was that, despite the floor being shiny graphite, those orange hessian cubes soaked up any reverb and so the huge room wasn't at all echoey.

"There were loads of screens, as well as three or four booths dotted around the place. When party guests turned up, they were put in those booths. Otherwise, they were never used. I set up the band in a semicircle facing the control room, with the drums in the middle, Keith to the left of Charlie from my perspective, Ronnie's amp next to Keith, and then, to the right of Charlie, Mick's guitar and Bill on the end. The keyboards were in front of the control room window. Screens were placed behind the band and used as divisions between each amp, so that each of the guys were in their own little booths without anything in front of them. That meant they could actually hear what was coming out of their amps, and I also put up a little Shure PA for them to hear Mick's vocals as well as Charlie's snare and kick.

"There's quite a characteristic drum sound on Some Girls, and as the guitars were so loud it helped to have Charlie's snare fill up the room a bit more. I didn't really want them to use headphones, I wanted to create sort of a live atmosphere, and they went along with that. I remember being terrified the first time Mick and Keith ever came in the control room, because they just stood at the back and whispered. But then they said, 'Yeah, it sounds great. OK, next.' That was it. They knew it sounded great.

"That having been said, God knows how anybody knew it sounded good, because the control room was the weirdest place of all. For one thing, you couldn't fit more than four people in it. And for another, the wall slanted outwards as it went towards the door, with the desk placed at an angle to the speakers so that the left-hand speaker was closer to you than the right-hand speaker. It looked like a complete shit-hole, yet somehow it sounded amazing. There were these huge great JBLs that could tear your ears off, and it was very rock & roll."

A Great Sound At A Cheap Price

Jagger's background at the London School of Economics was playing its part. "Mick had got that room for, like, 200 quid a day," Kimsey states, "and after having been there for about three weeks I was really enjoying myself, working with a lovely old 16-track EMI desk and recording to a Studer A80 with Dolby A at 15ips. I'd got used to the sound and was having a great time, at which point Mick said, 'Er, we're going to move into the real room.' I said, 'What do you mean? What real room?'

The layout of Pathé Marconi Studios in Paris for the Some Girls sessions, when 'Start Me Up' mutated
from a reggae song into a rock & roll number. The PA was a Shure column with a small horn at the top
and two bass units below, raised 7 feet into the air.

"Next door, the studio area was just as huge, and the control room had this absolutely enormous Neve — you had about 70 channels in front of you and a whole sidecar to the left of the monitoring that went back another four feet. In fact, the control room was the complete opposite to the one I'd been using. You could put a hundred people in there, but it sounded awful and I hated it. So, I talked to Keith and said, 'Do we have to move? It sounds so good where we are and the band sounds great.' Well, given the price, I don't think it took very much to talk Mick into staying. He kept asking, 'Does it sound all right in here? Does it sound all right?' and I'd say, 'Yeah, it sounds great. We're getting great results.' Thank God we stayed there."

With the songwriting taking place in the studio, tracks would be worked on for a couple of days, left alone for a while, and then worked on again, sometimes ad nauseam.

"'Miss You' took quite a time to come together," Kimsey remembers. "Bill needed to go to quite a few clubs before he got that bass line sorted out. But he did sort it out, and bless him, it made that song. Then, immediately after 'Miss You' was recorded, 'Start Me Up' got straightened out. They'd been throwing it around as a reggae song, but they rearranged it and, within 24 hours of 'Miss You', 'Start Me Up' was recorded."

No Reggae, No Like

"After they cut it, I said, 'That's bloody great! Come and listen,'" Kimsey recalls. "However, when I played it back, Keith said, 'Nah, it sounds like something I've heard on the radio. Wipe it.' Of course, I didn't, but he really didn't like it, and I'm not sure whether he likes it to this day. I don't think it's one of his favourite songs, although it's obviously everyone's favourite guitar riff; his guitar riff. Maybe because Keith loves reggae so much, he wanted it to be a reggae song."

As part of the aforementioned semicircle facing the control room, Mick Jagger recorded a guide vocal, singing into a Shure SM58 that was going through the PA; Charlie Watts was captured with a single Neumann U47 valve mic above his maple Gretsch kit, a Neumann U67 to the side of his floor tom in order to provide a stereo effect — a technique borrowed from Glyn Johns, who would record the drums with a total of four microphones — a Sennheiser 421 on the top tom, an AKG D25 on the kick (with a Shure SM57 going to the PA), an SM58 on the snare and an AKG 451 on the hi-hat.

"The PA was aiming at the drums, so the snare would actually come back through the overhead mic and create this quite unique sound," Kimsey explains.

While Bill Wyman's Fender Mustang bass was DI'd and going through an Ampeg Portaflex amp, the Mesa Boogie amps of Keith Richards and Ron Wood were close-miked with valve U47s, and Jagger's with a U87. Richards alternated between a Gibson Les Paul Junior and his red and cream Fender Telecasters; Wood played a Strat, a Zemaitis, a Fender B-Bender Tele and a pedal steel. "I used the 87 on Mick's guitar because his sound was always so loud," says Kimsey. "With Keith and Ronnie it was 47s, padded down and using the desk compression which was amazing."

While no keyboards were played on 'Start Me Up', the setup for other tracks comprised a couple of AKG 414s on the piano, a DI'd Wurlitzer, and a Hammond miked with a pair of SM58s on top and a U87 below.

All On Edge

"Including run-throughs, 'Start Me Up' took about six hours to record," says Kimsey. "You see, if they all played the right chords in the right time, went to the chorus at the right time and got to the middle eight together, that was a master. It was like, 'Oh, wow!' Don't forget, they would never sit

down and work out a song. They would jam it and the song would evolve out of that. That's their magic. So, for Charlie it was especially difficult, because he would never know where anything was unless Mick was doing a guide vocal — that's why I got him to sing through the PA setup. Charlie would follow Mick to determine where the chorus was or whatever, and sometimes Mick would change it, confusing everybody even more. They'd all be on the edge, and that's why it was so great when they did get it right together.

The EMI desk used to record 'Start Me Up' now resides in the studio of songwriter and producer Terry Britten,
who has added the additional sidecar modules.

"After that, they would leave the song, listen to it over the course of several days, and if they did come back to it they'd generally change it. I mean, Mick would want to come back and do everything faster, but generally they would come back and do something completely different. That was a good lesson: if you're going to do it different, change the key, change the tempo. What's the point in redoing it two beats faster?"

Whatever the point, 'Start Me Up' was not revisited once the master take had been achieved, possibly because of Keith's indifference towards it. Instead, it was left with a fairly raw and basic rock sound.

"Throughout the recording, Charlie kept it very straight ahead and Keith just went for it," Kimsey recalls. "It was like 'Oh, I remember this,' as they played along, and it just stuck together with a lot of space. That's the song's magic, really."

At the same time, the engineer was having a fine old time, adding reverbs and delays while leaving very little to the mix. "They'd be in the middle of a take, and I'd never know if it was going to be the master, so I'd try all sorts of things," he says. "As it was quite a discrete desk, I could do that kind of stuff, meaning that I'd be changing sounds during a performance that might turn out to be the master. Still, they always left me to get on with my job and never, ever mentioned anything about the sound."

Industrial Heaters

Now fast-forward three years to the vocal sessions in that freezing cold Paris warehouse, and once again Chris Kimsey was left alone... almost totally alone, hanging around for hour after hour, day after day, while Mick Jagger checked out the city's social scene. Consequently, what could have been achieved in a matter of days ended up taking six weeks.

"I rented a flat, and I wouldn't leave that flat until I knew he was on his way, because it was so bloody cold down there," Kimsey says. "We had to hire industrial heaters to warm the place up before we got there. It didn't make any sense at all, aside from the fact that Mick loved Paris and their truck was parked there inside a warehouse that cost next to nothing.

"We put some screens around him, otherwise it would have sounded ridiculous in that giant place, and I recorded all of his vocals with a valve 47. That's what I always used when he was overdubbing without the band, whereas the Shure SM58 is a lot more direct and therefore ensured far less leakage. If you're pumping it through a PA and put a 47 through there, you'd start getting feedback and it just wouldn't work."

What did work, when Jagger showed up for a session, was his ability to perform quickly and effectively, completing a song within four or five takes once he'd sorted out the lyrics. In most cases, he already had a verse as well as an idea of the chorus, and he'd repeat the same verse until he came up with more words.

"He'd give it the full performance, moving all over the place," Kimsey confirms. "It was great to watch and equally great to record. He knows how to work a microphone. He might be at the back of the control room, just a bar before the verse, and all of a sudden he's in front of the mic. He backs off in the chorus when he's singing loud, he gets in close when he's singing soft, and he knows what to do. Keith, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. You need a shotgun to get him in front of the mic. He'll wander all over the place while singing, taking an attitude of 'You do your job, you record me.'"

This was never an issue on 'Start Me Up', which, regardless of the image conveyed in the promotional video, actually features Jagger performing all of the backing vocals as well as the lead. "He's very good at sounding like Keith on harmonies," remarks Kimsey.

Power Mixing

Once the vocals were completed, mix sessions for Tattoo You took place in New York at Electric Ladyland and the Hit Factory, with Bob Clearmountain also taking care of some mixes at the Power Station. Among the latter was 'Start Me Up'. "Bob's and my mixes were so very close, there were a few times when I listened to what I thought was his mix and it turned out to be mine," Kimsey says. "I remember driving down LA's Pacific Coast Highway shortly after Some Girls had been released, and hearing 'Miss You' on the radio. In his version of the mix, Bob had edited out the sax solo, and this was what I thought I was listening to on my hire car's great stereo system. I was thinking, 'Wow, this sounds amazing. Bob really is a genius!" But then the sax solo came on and I nearly left the road. I couldn't believe it. That taught me to not get too precious about my own work."

[www.soundonsound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 08:57 by exilestones.

Date: January 14, 2017 20:56

MATS BÄCKER, "KEITH RICHARDS, ULLEVI June 19, 1982"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-14 21:35 by exilestones.

Date: January 14, 2017 21:26

Rolling Stones, Ullevi, Göteborg, 20.06.1982. Foto: Helge Øverås.

[csblogg.ufo.se]

On June 19, 1982 , I was and Anneli and 56,000 at the Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg and saw the Rolling Stones. Then I took the picture of Mick Jagger above. Now it's time again, 32 years

later, though at Tele2 Arena in Stockholm. Will be fun!

Have had a part to do in the morning when I was first brought and interviewed by Metro who wanted to talk International ufodagen which for me is just a nätgrej no basis in reality. Now it's

all the same to an article by me in tomorrow's paper. Since emailed Radio Kristianstad who wants to interview me on the same subject tomorrow morning at 8:30 and then called SVT on the same

thing. But there, I managed to avert it all so there will be an interview about my new book 07.50 August 11 in "Good morning Sweden" instead.

Has worked a little with the expedition to Nammajaure also plus I have cleaned without paper both in the study and in the basement.

When we left for the Tele2 Arena rained but luckily it would be on the roof and the weather does not play any role. But before we went into the arena we met Ylva Carlsson and Eva Mattsson

at the Globe Thai to have time to eat a little, too. And this little Thai restaurant, which did not look much to the world and where the staff spoke poor Swedish so that they do not even

understand Annelis question if it was really the Globe Thai we come to, turned out to serve really good food.

On the way to the stadium, it was security in the open space outside and there it was close that I got rid of my folding umbrella that was first considered to be a weapon but as I got to

take after some discussion between the two guards. A dustbin with umbrellas next spoke for themselves when it came to others who have not passed the eye of the needle.

It was the first time we were in any event whatsoever Tele2. The stadium is beautiful on the outside but a concrete and plastics inside the bunker. Pure hideous fact and not a penny seems

to have been spent on doing the looking.

We had seats part way up the Z-section, which meant that we sat almost as far away it was from the scene. Pretty big difference from 1982! As you can see in the picture below so we relied

on the excellent big screens when it came to see one of the performers. But it went well also, and the concert was really good. Mick Jagger, 70 years now, ran for the full and it was not

noticed very much that the years passed. Although he took a break in the middle and let Keith Richards and Ron Wood to drive a couple of songs but the voice and commitment was absolutely

nothing wrong. In addition, he talked a little "Swedish" and then: "You sing wonderfully," he said, for example!

The funny thing was that the band members seemed to have genuinely nice on stage. Many smiles and hugs to each other.

The concert lasted from 21:10 to 23 approximately and then it became two extra songs where "Satisfaction" became the last - to general acclaim.

We went in anyway pleased from the concert and managed to come up with the other train from the Globe. Smockat course. Arriving at Central Station I said Anneli hello to Ylva and Eve and

took us quickly (!) On a pendulum that we had time just. This small float meant that I reached home in time until the match United States-Belgium was over. Mark sat up there had taped for

me and since it was 0-0 at full time, I looked at the extension that was exciting. Belgium eventually won 2-1 and I could go to bed at 01:30.

This time we sat some distance away and got help from the big screens to see Mick Jagger. Anneli, Eva and Ylva before we go into.

Date: January 16, 2017 18:11

William Klein, Concert des Rolling Stones, Longchamp, Paris, 1982

Fashiom model Jerry Hall at a Rolling Stones concert in Paris, 1982.

Les Rolling Stones sur scène à Auteuil dans Paris le 13 juin 1982

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 16, 2017 20:22

exilestones
Rolling Stones, Ullevi, Göteborg, 20.06.1982. Foto: Helge Øverås.

[csblogg.ufo.se]

On June 19, 1982 , I was and Anneli and 56,000 at the Ullevi Stadium in Gothenburg and saw the Rolling Stones. Then I took the picture of Mick Jagger above. Now it's time again, 32 years

later, though at Tele2 Arena in Stockholm. Will be fun!

Have had a part to do in the morning when I was first brought and interviewed by Metro who wanted to talk International ufodagen which for me is just a nätgrej no basis in reality. Now it's

all the same to an article by me in tomorrow's paper. Since emailed Radio Kristianstad who wants to interview me on the same subject tomorrow morning at 8:30 and then called SVT on the same

thing. But there, I managed to avert it all so there will be an interview about my new book 07.50 August 11 in "Good morning Sweden" instead.

Has worked a little with the expedition to Nammajaure also plus I have cleaned without paper both in the study and in the basement.

When we left for the Tele2 Arena rained but luckily it would be on the roof and the weather does not play any role. But before we went into the arena we met Ylva Carlsson and Eva Mattsson

at the Globe Thai to have time to eat a little, too. And this little Thai restaurant, which did not look much to the world and where the staff spoke poor Swedish so that they do not even

understand Annelis question if it was really the Globe Thai we come to, turned out to serve really good food.

On the way to the stadium, it was security in the open space outside and there it was close that I got rid of my folding umbrella that was first considered to be a weapon but as I got to

take after some discussion between the two guards. A dustbin with umbrellas next spoke for themselves when it came to others who have not passed the eye of the needle.

It was the first time we were in any event whatsoever Tele2. The stadium is beautiful on the outside but a concrete and plastics inside the bunker. Pure hideous fact and not a penny seems

to have been spent on doing the looking.

We had seats part way up the Z-section, which meant that we sat almost as far away it was from the scene. Pretty big difference from 1982! As you can see in the picture below so we relied

on the excellent big screens when it came to see one of the performers. But it went well also, and the concert was really good. Mick Jagger, 70 years now, ran for the full and it was not

noticed very much that the years passed. Although he took a break in the middle and let Keith Richards and Ron Wood to drive a couple of songs but the voice and commitment was absolutely

nothing wrong. In addition, he talked a little "Swedish" and then: "You sing wonderfully," he said, for example!

The funny thing was that the band members seemed to have genuinely nice on stage. Many smiles and hugs to each other.

The concert lasted from 21:10 to 23 approximately and then it became two extra songs where "Satisfaction" became the last - to general acclaim.

We went in anyway pleased from the concert and managed to come up with the other train from the Globe. Smockat course. Arriving at Central Station I said Anneli hello to Ylva and Eve and

took us quickly (!) On a pendulum that we had time just. This small float meant that I reached home in time until the match United States-Belgium was over. Mark sat up there had taped for

me and since it was 0-0 at full time, I looked at the extension that was exciting. Belgium eventually won 2-1 and I could go to bed at 01:30.

This time we sat some distance away and got help from the big screens to see Mick Jagger. Anneli, Eva and Ylva before we go into.

Of course the tunnelbana was smockfull with fans!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home