Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 4, 2016 18:54

+++++

Musician and road manager Ian Stewart (1938 - 1985) during a Rolling Stones concert, 1982.

Denis O'Regan

+++++

Date: June 4, 2016 18:58

video: [www.youtube.com]
Bill Wyman talking about his collection of memorabilia 1982

+++++

September 21, 1983: Princess Diana meeting Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Steve Winwood & other Rock & Roll stars that performed
at the All Stars Rock concert in aid of the Prince's Trust at Royal Albert Hall in London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 19:00 by exilestones.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:19

the football uniform leads us directly to the "vegas years" and we can be certain that when mick viewed film from 1981 in preparation for the steel wheels tour he realized what a dreadful mistake it was, and understood that the stones risked becoming caricatures if they tried to stay current.

Date: June 6, 2016 18:05

CEDAR FALLS

Wet Rolling Stones rock Iowa
By JANEEN BURKHOLDER   |  	Nov. 21, 1981

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa -- The Rolling Stones sizzled Iowa fans with their music, but the warm air created by the breaths of the sell-out crowd and a cold roof caused water to condense and rain inside the concert hall.

'I didn't know it rained indoors,' Mick Jagger told the 24,000 rock 'n' roll Friday who paid from $16.50 and up to see the rock group at the University of Northern Iowa's UNI-Dome.

The 38-year-old Jagger pranced onto the stage wearing a green jersey and white football knickers and the band led the concert with the controversial tune, 'Under My Thumb.'

Despite the dripping water, the Stones played for more than two hours, reeling off hits like 'Shattered,' Honky-Tonk Woman,' and 'Brown Sugar.'

Uni-Dome Director Bob Bowlsby said to his knowledge, there were no arrests. He said about six people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries or illnesses.

Earlier in the day, eager fans put on parkas and wrapped themselves in sleeping bags to endure the chilly wait for top-rank spots to see the concert.

'I think (lead singer) Jagger is sensual,' one woman said as the crowd filled the 168,000-square foot hall, which has an air-supported roof.

Temperatures were in the mid-20s and there were brisk northerly winds before and during the concert. Cedar Falls, like most of the state, was numbed by a snowstorm Thursday.

Buyers snapped up all 24,000 tickets to the concert within four hours of the time they went on sale a few weeks ago. There were 14,600 reserved seats for the concert with the remaining 9,400 tickets sold for 'festival seating' -- standing room on the floor of the UNI-Dome.

About 20 uniformed officers were stationed in the UNI-Dome for the concert and another 20 campus security officials were outside the stadium. UNI-Dome officials hired 90 people for a T-shirt 'peer pressure' security force.

Concert officials had to hustle to clear and clean the auditorium. The University of Northern Iowa's Panthers were scheduled to play football today in the stadium.

The Rolling Stones performed Thursday night in St. Louis and were scheduled to appear in St. Paul, Minn. today.

Mick Jagger during the 1981 Cedar Falls concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-07 06:55 by exilestones.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 20:40

Anyone know why they didn't play Boston on this tour? I assume management/money issues?

Date: June 7, 2016 07:00

fredlynn19
Anyone know why they didn't play Boston on this tour? I assume management/money issues?

There's a short article on page 20 of the thread about the Stones not being allowed a permit for a free out concert in Boston. Look for "BOSTON."

[www.iorr.org]

Date: June 7, 2016 20:20

CEDAR FALLS

The Daily Iowan (IA)
November 23rd 1981

Special Thanks to Palace Revolution 2000 and Jean Marie

[yesterdayspapersoftherollingstones.blogspot.fr]

++++++++++++

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

Recorded live at The Unidome, Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA, November 20th, 1981.
Extracted from "Thank you for waiting" Vol.1
Songs: Under my thumb, Let's spend the night together, sound upgraded from DAC's release "Cedars Falls 1981"

Date: June 9, 2016 05:04

Dan, Can you identify the other jerseys?

My friend Dan filled in the blanks:

Dan wrote:

6 FOOTBALL 2 BASEBALL 1 SOCCER (Football) 1 OTHER

Philadelphia Eagles - John Sciarra #21
Chicago Bears - #34 Walter Payton.....name reads "Jagger"
Detroit Lions - Gary Danielson #16
HOUSTON Oilers - #32 Vernon Perry
Washington Redskins #7 Joe Theismann
Dallas Cowboys #33 Tony Dorsett
Oakland- Oakland Athletics (A's) BASEBALL JERSEY...no name or number. Worn in San Francisco, CA
Seattle- Seattle Mariners BASEBALL JERSEY...no name or number.
Syracuse- appears to be regular School T-shirt for Syracuse 'Orangemen.'
Soccer- Italy National team jersey

Portrait of Dallas Cowboys Herschel Walker (34) and Tony Dorsett (33).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-09 05:07 by exilestones.

Date: June 9, 2016 05:19

CEDAR FALLS

The Rolling Stones in 1981 at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa. 
                                                          (Photo Rick Chase)

RS 1981 CEDAR FALLS 

"Very cold night. Me and a couple of buddies drove my 69 volkswagen bug with no heat. My first Stones concert also. Etched in my memory, what's left of it.?" - Gregg Mostaert

"What a night! I was there first time seeing the Stones and I even remember Mick asking people to give an unknown band called the Stray Cats a chance!" - Mike Johnson

Date: June 9, 2016 22:05

CEDAR FALLS 

VIDEO: November 20, 1981 [www.youtube.com]  
Under My Thumb, Let's Spend the Night Together - CEDAR FALLS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- sTRAY cATS - Cdar Falls ----------

The Stray Cats opened for the Rolling Stones in 1981.

Stray Cats: Live at Rockpalast DVD

The Stray Cats' Vintage Rock

The Stray Cats' vintage sound apparently stirred fond memories in many older rock stars, too. When the band played the 
northern industrial town of Birmingham, Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant brought his wife and daughter out to see them. And after 
another gig at the Venue, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts stopped backstage for a post-show chat. Richards 
even left Brian a phone number for his country house and invited him to drop in for a jam. "I called him later, and he said, 
'Come on over.' It was just an impromptu jam. He picked a guitar off the floor, like a '58 Les Paul, and he started doin' 
these Scotty Moore licks, 'Baby, Let's Play House' and stuff. And he did them exact, you know. I mean, he knows all 
that stuff. We played all night."

Still, Setzer and company couldn't believe it when the Stones invited them to be the opening act for three shows on their 
1981 North American tour. "I was in awe," Brian admits. "That was an honor, to be on that tour." Jim agrees: "I was on 
cloud nine. I just kept pinchin' myself, you know, makin' sure — 'Hey, am I really up here with the Rolling Stones, or am 
I gonna wake up any minute in Massapequa?' "

The Stray Cats' exposure on the Stones' tour helped make their first British album a big import seller here.

the band returned to the U.S. and signed a deal with EMI-America Records, which last June released "Built for Speed," 
an LP drawn largely from their two British albums. The Stray Cats then embarked on an intensive U.S. tour, 
backed up by heavy video exposure on MTV. Built for Speed sold steadily throughout the summer and by fall had entered the Top Ten, 
as had their first U.S. single, "Rock This Town." By January, after thirty weeks on the Billboard charts, the album had sold nearly 
2 million copies.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com] 

26 Oct – Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA (support for Rolling Stones)

20 Nov – Unidome, Cedar Falls, IA (support for Rolling Stones)

21 Nov – Civic Centre, Minneapolis, MN (support for Rolling Stones)

These two videos went viral in 1981:

VIDEO: Stray Cats - Rock This Town [www.youtube.com]

VIDEO: STRAY CAT STRUT [www.youtube.com]

Stray Cats were an American 'Rockabilly' band formed in 1979 by guitarist and vocalist Brian Setzer, double bassist Lee Rocker, 
and drummer Slim Jim Phantom. The group had numerous hit singles in the UK, Australia, Canada and the U.S.

The group, whose style was based upon the sounds of Sun Records artists and other artists from the 1950s, were heavily influenced 
by Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent and Bill Haley & His Comets.

In the middle of 1980 the Cats found themselves being courted by record labels including Virgin Records, Stiff Records and 
Arista Records. Word quickly spread and soon members of The Rolling Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin were at their shows.  

Released in February '81, the first "Eponymous" album featured a mixture of the hit singles, some covers and a few originals. Produced in 
the main by Welsh rocker Dave Edmunds, there was also a quartet of tracks produced by the boys.

"Rock This Town" was hit that had a catchy fast beat and more stinging guitar from Brian. The public ate it up! 

The loping blues of "Stray Cat Strut" was written by Brian whilst jamming in Lee's garage, it has an hypnotic beat and inexplicably stalled 
at number 11 on the charts. This really could have been a number one song. Today, eighteen years later, when people ask what type of music 
I like and I say rockabilly, they often sing part of Stray Cat Strut. The b-side of the single (not on the album) is a live blues 
Drink That Bottle Down with Lee Rocker taking over the vocals while Brian played his best Eddie Cochran licks.

After the 1st break-up of the Stray Cats in the mid 1980's, Lee Rocker, and drummer Slim Jim Phantom formed a trio called 
"Phantom, Rocker & Slick" (the "Slick" being former David Bowie guitarist Earl Slick) whose debut album contained their first single 
"My Mistake"; guest musician on this record included Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Nicky Hopkins also made a guest appearance on the album, 
playing piano on the track "No Regrets".

A behind the scenes shot taken during a Phantom Rocker & Slick recording session in 1985. 

Pictured from left to right: Mike Barbiero, Slim Jim, Lee Rocker, Keith Richards and Steve Thompson. 

Thompson and Barbiero produced the Phantom, Rocker & Slick album which Keith played on. The photo was taken at the 
Old Media Sound Studios on 45th St. in N.Y.C. 
[keefguitar.tumblr.com]

VIDEO: Phantom, Rocker & Slick - "My Mistake" (1985) [www.youtube.com]

VIDEO: Phantom, Rocker & Slick - "My Mistake" (1985) 
[www.youtube.com]

VIDEO: Phantom, Rocker & Slick - "No Regrets"
[www.youtube.com]

More: [www.maritimevinyl.ca]

Earl Slick played with Mick Jagger and David Bowie on "Dancing in the Street" in 1985.[/size]
More: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: June 10, 2016 03:00

if you listen to the bootleg mick had a wicked head cold that night. mick introduced them in cedar falls: "here's a sh*t-kicking band from nuwyawk called the stray cats" was in a group of maybe 10 people, everyone hated them, except me, of course i didn't volunteer that. "f*cking drummer is STANDING UP?" i didn't care, thought the guitar player was great and they had a great sound.

Posted by: peipin ()
Date: June 10, 2016 10:00

Guest: Téléphone only 14 /06/ 82 Paris

Date: June 10, 2016 21:26

I always liked the Stray Cats. I remember when MTV came out in my area in 1981. I thought it was great that the arts of music, stage performance and movie/video was finally mainstream.

I remember staying for two days at a friend of a friend's house sleeping on the living room floor and someone waking me every time a video from Tattoo You would come on.

Then the Stay Cats had the "Stray Cat Strut" video came out and it was great to see the art forms come together with the band playing in an alley singing, "I get my dinner from a garbage can."
A cat strutting around, the woman trowning stuff out the window at the band, the drummer playing the trash can... Great video!

[www.youtube.com]

Then "Rock this Town" continues where "Stray Cat Strut" left off.

[www.youtube.com]

All of their videos were like a very short movie.

[www.youtube.com]

Brian Setzer staying true to the Stray Cats 1950's image and sound.

Date: June 12, 2016 21:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 18:24 by exilestones.

Date: June 14, 2016 02:08

- Shepperton studios, may 1982 by Gered Mankowitz
[www.iorr.org]
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 15, 2010 16:49

>> No more pics from [the 1982 Shepperton studio] rehearsals? <<

yep, there's a bunch more - Mankowitz has put out at least a couple of books that include them.
the famous series of silhouettes of Keith lighting a cigarette (or at least fooling around with one) is from this session.
here's another one:

shortfatfanny [www.iorr.org]

[]

Posted by: Palace Revolution 2000 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 00:16

Posted by: withaheadfullofsnow ()
Date: April 12, 2013 22:00

1982 Rehearsals

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-14 02:18 by exilestones.

Date: June 15, 2016 06:41

Mick arriving at the 1982 Press Conference in London.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 15, 2016 08:12

exilestones

Mick arriving at the 1982 Press Conference in London.

Oh baby! When you are hot, you are hot!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: June 16, 2016 02:33

edinburgh 82

glasgow 82

Sorry cant post pics coz az fik.

Dont know why I keep all this stuff but I do.

Date: June 16, 2016 04:06

cooheid
edinburgh 82

glasgow 82

Sorry cant post pics coz az fik.

Dont know why I keep all this stuff but I do.

Cool! Thanks

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: June 16, 2016 10:56

Thanks!!

Date: June 16, 2016 21:37

Mick Announces 1982 European Tour in Soho

Mick Jagger at the 1982 Tour press conference at the La Beat Route Club in London. 
       April 28, 1982 -  photo Bob Dear

[yesterdayspapersoftherollingstones.blogspot.fr]

Peter Anderson

Date: June 18, 2016 08:05

Post 1982 London Press Conference

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-22 07:24 by exilestones.

Date: June 20, 2016 00:57

Alan Edwards - a music publicist who has worked with everyone

Before long Allan Edwards was looking after the big guns: The Who, Marc Bolan;
and The Rolling Stones, who taught him how demanding music PR could be.

Publicist Alan Edwards on right

“They were very aware of the media,” Edwards recalls. “Mick especially was completely aware
of it and focused. During their 1982 tour he wanted to know who was coming to review the
gig, have they got access, do they need a few quotes. He was capable of asking literally as
they came off stage ‘what did they think?’.”

The critics’ view from the crowd was thus transmitted directly to the stars and could even
influence the show. “I think they definitely would pay heed to it and maybe change things
around.”

Stones' drummer Charlie Watts, on the other hand, was less interested in the press. “In the
nine years I worked with him I only persuaded him to do one interview – with the Daily
Telegraph about the English cricket team’s chances.”

Nevertheless, the evening’s reviews had to be delivered to each band member’s hotel room
door, “7 o’clock in the morning when they woke up,” which meant a frantic early scramble
for newsprint, “physically running round the hotel trying to get a bad translation of a
Frankfurt newspaper.”

The 1980s brought with them stadium rock and seismic shifts in the music industry.
“Suddenly record companies were becoming big and powerful, corporate places,” Edwards
recalls.

Lynn Goldsmith

fully story: [mashable.com]

Date: June 21, 2016 00:16

VIENNA

photo Mick Jagger, in Vienna promoting the Rolling Stones tour, 1982 wire voor promoten van de Rolling Stones tour, 1982 wire press.

After 6 years without giving any concerts, Mick Jagger is promoting the Rolling Stones tour in major European cities, starting in Rotterdam on June 4 1982

Date: June 22, 2016 01:50

VIENNA

[www.stones.at]

Legendary Open Air events in Vienna's Prater Stadium -         Wolfgang Morscher
Ernst Happel Stadium (51,000 visitors)

1982 made the Rolling Stones on July 3 as part of the former European Tour with a
 gigantic spectacle in the Ernst-Happel-Stadion talked about. The gig was great to
 Mick Jagger show in front of 60,000 fans on a huge 70 meters long and thirty
 meters wide stage.

The Stones "rolled" to Duke Ellington's "Take The E-Train" to the stage, which was
 bathed in purple light. Thousands of colorful balloons up to opener "Under My Thumb"
 in the sky. What followed were two decades of rock history in fast motion. Fit as
 rarely before sprinting and jogging Mick Jagger on stage, circled in a crane 
basket over the heads of the audience away. Keith Richards and Ron Wood mimed as 
usual the "Bad Boys '', swinging nonchalantly guitars and threshed in the strings.
 Something quiet it went to bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts. The band
 played a total of twenty of their greatest hits from "Time Is On My Side" on 
"Honky Tonk Woman" to "Start Me Up" and "Satisfaction" obligate addition including
 fireworks.

European Tour 1982: Austrian band Wolf & Wolf in the interlude

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]
Vienna, Praterstadion, 3 July, 1982

Date: June 22, 2016 06:41

Will someone please identify this photo by Ken Regan. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-22 06:43 by exilestones.

Date: June 22, 2016 07:06

+++++++++++++++++++++++ Denis O'Regan Corbis ++++++++++

Singer Mick Jagger of The Rolling Stones on an aircraft, 1982. Denis O'Regan

Touring with The Rolling Stones in 1982 – Intimate Images of Legendary Rockers As You've Never Seen Before
It's a Rolling Stones fan's dream come true - the chance to travel with the band, hear their stories, watch them rehearse...
and it happened to celebrated rock photographer Denis O'Regan
after he was invited to be the official snapper of their tour in 1982.

"The biggest surprise was the lack of decadence," he recalled. "This was 1982, they were slightly on the way down from all of that.
The plane was laid out like an apartment, and all the rock gods you'd expect to see doing something mad were more likely to be
eating sushi, watching a film, or reading. There was lots of reading."

Date: June 23, 2016 02:57

Guitarist Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones on an aircraft, 1982. Denis O'Regan

Date: June 24, 2016 03:22

Mick Taylor perfprming Live with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
in Detroit 1982

Date: June 26, 2016 19:09

Slane 1982 - Originally posted by Rockman

Stadio San Paolo 1982 - Originally posted by Palace Revolution 2000

Rotterdam 1982 - Originally Posted by rooster

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home