Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 12, 2016 20:16

ABERDEEN

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-28 18:07 by exilestones.

Date: February 12, 2016 20:38

WEMBLEY

June 25, 1982 Rob Verhorst

-----------------

June 26, 1982

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-18 19:32 by exilestones.

Date: February 12, 2016 20:54

BRISTOL

Graham Wiltshire

Graham Wiltshire

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 06:48 by exilestones.

Date: February 13, 2016 18:59

Philadelphia 1981

The city in the background looks like Philadelphia 1981.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-13 20:03 by exilestones.

Date: February 13, 2016 19:39

LISTED AS 1982

Mick Jagger at the castle of "Range" in Pocé-sur-Cisse in Touraine, he acquired in 1982 and where he stayed regularly again. - (Photo NR, Gérard Proust)

[www.my-loire-valley.com]

Mick JAGGER and range castle!

Mick bought the castle in 1980 to 2.2 million francs. This purchase was at the time that for short stays. France and the Loire Valley occupy a special place in the hearts of all the rock star that, as a child, his parents took him to l'Île d'Or in Amboise overlooking the castle . The monument to the edges of Cisse, a small tributary of the Loire and Eden Local fishermen joined the town of Poce, nestled in the heart of a park of twenty hectares, and was one of the Duke of areas Choiseul, minister of Louis XV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-13 19:47 by exilestones.

Date: February 13, 2016 19:39

MUNICH

June 11, 1982

Bernd Mueller June 10, 1982

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 04:50 by exilestones.

Date: February 13, 2016 19:52

ROTTERDAM

The Rolling Stones perform at the Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam, Netherlands on June 2nd, 1982.
Rob Verhorst/Redferns [www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stones Conquer Europe

Two million to see shows

By Ron Donaldson July 22, 1982

he Rolling Stones machine is in motion once again. After playing a surprise club gig in London and three warmup dates in Scotland, the group officially began its summer tour of Europe on June 2nd in Rotterdam, Holland. By the time the Stones reached Paris for a pair of shows at the 70,000-seat Hippodrome d'Auteuil on June 13th and 14th, they had played before roughly half a million people. And when the forty-four-date tour ends on July 26th – Mick Jagger's fortieth birthday – nearly 2 million fans will have passed through the turnstiles, making this the biggest European rock tour ever.

Even so, it's been a pretty low-key affair. In Paris, for instance, fewer than a dozen kids, some of them munching Big Macs from a nearby McDonald's, waited for the Stones to arrive at the hotel where they were staying, just off the Champs Élysées. And it's been that way for the entire tour. All the action is onstage. All the interest is in the music. No scandals, no outrageous behavior. As was the case on last fall's U.S. tour, the Stones are maintaining a low-profile, clean-cut image, and the media are eating it up.

Major magazines in every European country have done cover stories on the group, but so far there have been only two real interviews. A reporter for the Hamburg-based Stern magazine asked Jagger if he ever made contact with the public by, say, riding the subway. "Wait a minute," Jagger sneered. "What has riding a subway got to do with reality? That's only something people do 'cause they don't have money." And in Paris Match, Jagger revealed that as a teenager, he didn't get along with his parents; that he can walk the streets of Paris, London and New York without being bothered by the public; that he always carries a gun; that he owns a château in the Loire Valley; that he trains hard to keep in shape; and that he loves his ten-year-old daughter, Jade.

Deemed equally newsworthy have been the tour's logistics and statistics. Two teams of sixteen trailer-trucks are crisscrossing Europe, carrying stage sets and equipment through eleven countries. The stage is the same one the band used on its U.S. tour: sixty-four feet wide, with eighty-foot ramps stretching out from the right and left sides, it features massive scrims painted with postmodernist pastel renderings of cars, guitars and record albums. The group is traveling with an entourage of sixty-eight – the same as in America – and the Stones themselves have chartered a Boeing 707 to get around in.

The band's entire show, which is again being run with clockwork-like precision by promoter Bill Graham, remains virtually unchanged from the American tour. When the gates of the Paris race track opened at 10 a.m. on Sunday, June 13th, 70,000 eager fans, who seemed to range in age from fifteen to forty-five, were on hand. The concert started promptly at one o'clock, and the opening acts, George Thorogood and the Destroyers and the J. Geils Band (both veterans of the Stones' U.S. dates), drew hearty responses – despite a sudden rainstorm that was drenching the audience.

When the sun reappeared, the field was a sea of mud – the crowd had used the track's protective tarpaulins as shelter from the storm. But at 4:30, when Duke Ellington's "Take the 'A' Train" wafted from the loudspeakers and a voice announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Rolling Stones," the miserable conditions didn't seem to matter. The Stones tore into "Under My Thumb," and it immediately became clear that it had been worth the six-and-a-half-hour wait.

As the Stones went through essentially the same set they had perfected in the States – twenty-six tunes, including "Let's Spend the Night Together," "Time Is on My Side," "Start Me Up," "Let It Bleed" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" – the audience crowded up to the barriers in front of the eight-foot-high stage, and tens of thousands of hands were raised to clap along with the songs. From the field, one could see hundreds of tiny figures straining to get a glimpse of the festivities from the windows of the luxury apartments overlooking the race track.

The band, augmented by Allman Brothers keyboardist Chuck Leavell and sax players Bobby Keys and Gene "Daddy G" Barge (a sideman on Gary U.S. Bonds' early records), seemed to get better and better as the show progressed. Jagger, dressed in red-and-white-striped tights, pranced up and down the stage, tossing asides to the crowd in barroom French. Keith Richards and Ron Wood pumped out the group's trademark licks and huddled together at one mike to share their occasional vocals, while the sturdy rhythm section of Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts kept everything rolling.

There were a few surprises, such as a cover version of the Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace," which never really got off the ground. But for the most part, it was a repeat performance of the Stones' U.S. extravaganza – and everybody loved it. By the time Jagger rode out over the crowd in the cherry-picker crane, the roar of the fans was deafening. As the group left the stage with a last merci, a tape of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture blasted out, and the fireworks began. Four minutes later, as the fireworks reached a climax, six bright-yellow pickup trucks snaked out of the park and headed up the boulevard toward the center of Paris. The audience was still cheering.

Yet it wasn't the old music and mayhem. And, unlike the American tour, it may not even be music and money. Even though the tour is causing the band's new live album to sell briskly everywhere the Stones have played, and even though the group's gross should come close to the American tour's $40 million (in Paris alone, the ticket gross exceeded $2 million), Jagger is telling the press that he and his mates will be lucky to clear $250,000. "We never make money here," the poor boy claimed, citing the astronomical expenses incurred on the European tour."This time it's music, music, music."

This story is from the July 22nd, 1982 issue of Rolling Stone.

June 2, 1982

Date: February 13, 2016 20:06

Back Stage at The Who concert 1982

-- Neal Preston --
Bob Gruen

“Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and The Clash's Mick Jones hang out together backstage at a concert by The Who”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 01:26 by exilestones.

Date: February 13, 2016 20:09

UNKNOWN

Denis O'Regan

Date: February 13, 2016 20:10

UNKNOWN

during interview 1982

Date: February 13, 2016 20:12

unknown

Date: February 13, 2016 20:13

unkown

Date: February 13, 2016 20:16

UNKNOWN

Date: February 13, 2016 20:30

UNKNOWN

Date: February 13, 2016 20:35

FAN CLUB KIT

Location Unknown

[rollingstonesvaults.blogspot.com]

Date: February 13, 2016 20:52

HANNOVER

originally posted by Erik Snow

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 04:52 by exilestones.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: February 13, 2016 22:53

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 20:12 by Plink.

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 13, 2016 23:37

Plink
Subcategory: Keef in a Keef tee, 1981-2

No one wears 'em better! Based on the photos I've seen here (copied below), plus a few more I found on Getty, KR had several versions of the t-shirt design shown below and wore them at least 11 shows in '81-2. Love the fact that he's still carrying on the tradition to this day w/ the CF Davinki Keef tees smiling smiley

by Red Huber Orlando 10/24/81

Yeah, cool shirt. I got it from Bill German in the eighties. This is my daughter and me, Düsseldorf 2014:

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: February 14, 2016 05:02

^^^

Your daughter wears it well (and your shirt is very cool, too). How nice that she's a Stones fan and you can enjoy the fantastic experience of a live Stones gig together smiling smiley

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 14, 2016 13:18

Plink
^^^

Your daughter wears it well (and your shirt is very cool, too). How nice that she's a Stones fan and you can enjoy the fantastic experience of a live Stones gig together smiling smiley

Thanks Plink, her first gig was the August 13, 2007 concert in Düsseldorf. It was like a dream coming true to me - taking my daughter to a Rolling Stones concert. That was the night before she was getting 18 and it was very special. She enjoyed it and her friends were really jealous. For the kids it was (and still is) very cool to wear Stones t-shirts but no one of her friends had seen them live - but my daughter has. BTW: the 2014 concert was the better one.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: February 14, 2016 19:31

django
Plink
^^^

Thanks Plink, her first gig was the August 13, 2007 concert in Düsseldorf. It was like a dream coming true to me - taking my daughter to a Rolling Stones concert. That was the night before she was getting 18 and it was very special. She enjoyed it and her friends were really jealous. For the kids it was (and still is) very cool to wear Stones t-shirts but no one of her friends had seen them live - but my daughter has. BTW: the 2014 concert was the better one.

Nice story django, thanks for sharing!

Date: February 14, 2016 19:34

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-14 19:35 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 14, 2016 19:36

This thread is soooo embarrassing

Date: February 14, 2016 19:36

exilestones

UNKNOWN

UNKNOWN

Second pic is from Philadelphia.
And it is indeed a GREAT picture of Keith.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 14, 2016 19:37

Cooltoplady
This thread is soooo embarrassing

Just another reason to hate the 80's

Date: February 14, 2016 19:44

exilestones
stevecardi
exilestones

Washington DC - Another football jersey! Photographer unknown.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Yeah, I too can't remember the photographer's name, but I do remember that he had a website years ago with some great pics (including this one) he took of not only Landover (Washington), but Hartford and Syracuse as well.

I think I have those pics! I can't find the website. It must have been taken down.

Would love to see them if you still have them (as I'm sure everyone on this website would)!

Yeah, it's unfortunate that when a Stones or a Stones-related site goes down, we end up losing some great info and pictures that diehards like us covet. (The old Fingerprint File website from the 1990s is one I particularly miss).

I love seeing these pictures of Stones concerts--especially the shots of the stages from the fan's POV and from the air in the outdoor venues. And when those websites with pics like these go down, it's loss is hard and frustrating. Just go to the 75 TOTA Photo Thread link on this site to see what I mean---half the pics are down.

So to everyone here, please keep these photos coming, as well as any others from Stones tours you might have.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-14 19:50 by stevecardi.

Date: February 14, 2016 20:12

Plink
Subcategory: Keef in a Keef tee, 1981-2

No one wears 'em better! Based on the photos I've seen here (copied below), plus a few more I found on Getty, KR had several versions of the t-shirt design shown below and wore them at least 11 shows in '81-2. Love the fact that he's still carrying on the tradition to this day w/ the CF Davinki Keef tees smiling smiley

Great post. I never knew what the image was on the shirt!

buy the shirt: [www.kittykittybangbang.com]

Date: February 14, 2016 20:13

stevecardi

Nice story django, thanks for sharing!

Yes, nice story!

Date: February 14, 2016 20:15

stevecardi
exilestones

UNKNOWN

Second pic is from Philadelphia.
And it is indeed a GREAT picture of Keith.

Thanks for the info!

Date: February 14, 2016 20:16

ROCKFORD

ROCKFORD 1981 by Paul Natkin

I guess we now know the red scarf indoor pics are from Rockford by Paul Natkin.

Originally posted by Rockman

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 04:32 by exilestones.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home