Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Still Life (1981 American Concert)
Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: July 5, 2020 19:44

Little strange song selection on this release(and production) but definitely my favourite Stones tour. UMT, Shattered and Start me up are pure gold on this one. I’m actually currently doing videos on Instagram of Keith’s guitar parts of different versions of songs that we all know. And I’m doing 81-82 versions of at least Beast of Burden, Shattered, Under My Thumb etc. There’s already She’s So Cold and Time is on my side. I’m just sharing what I discovered over the years.. therollingstonesguitarflix

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: July 5, 2020 20:18

DandelionPowderman
exilestones
ThePaleRider
Fans of the Stones from the Ya-Ya's years or even the Love You Live years probably thought Still Life sucked. I know I did. I can see new fans liking it though...

I think you are correct.

The three albums can't be compared. They are all different. I'm glad to have all of them.

Still Life has so many great songs to listen to and it's different. It's not chocked full of war horses. It rocks. It's short and sweet. I love it.

How is he correct? Who think Still Life sucks?

As you say, it's great to have both.

I think I was trying remember my first impressions at the time it came out. Having grown up with and playing Ya-Ya's and LYL constantly I recall thinking that as an older fan, Still Life 'sucked' on first listen. I remember thinking it was 'too fast', too sterile, too New Wavish, I hated it. On the other hand, I got a hold of the Hampton bootleg around the same time and loved it! Played it all the time. I don't think Still Life sucks today...I just can't be bothered to listen to it. There is no doubt that it created a massive new generation of fans...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-05 20:20 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2020 22:53

This album did sell a million copies. Certainly it's sold a bit more since. It reached #5 in the US the week of June 7, 1982.

Not sure if saying it created a massive new generation of fans is accurate but who knows.

This Mick interview at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, FL is a bit funny to me because of Mick saying Disney World and The Rolling Stones in the same sentence!

Date: July 6, 2020 17:22

What was the gripe? Mick wanted to record a bunch of old songs (covers) in a studio and release that as a live album? But instead he recorded almost all new vocals in a studio and Keith threw in some more guitar tracks and...

LIVE LICKS sounds pretty good but STILL LIFE has the best sound of all of their live albums.

Date: July 6, 2020 20:09

GasLightStreet
What was the gripe? Mick wanted to record a bunch of old songs (covers) in a studio and release that as a live album? But instead he recorded almost all new vocals in a studio and Keith threw in some more guitar tracks and...

FOUR FLICKS sounds pretty good but STILL LIFE has the best sound of all of their live albums.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 6, 2020 22:32

GasLightStreet

LIVE LICKS sounds pretty good but STILL LIFE has the best sound of all of their live albums.

You have to quit listening to them on that transistor radio. You might change your mind

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 15:45

Love Still Life then and Love it now. Just a great Rockin' and Party Record. The Virgin release sounds good too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 2, 2020 16:13

The Hampton release has made it kinda unnecessary .....

We sure enjoyed reliving the concert in the summer of 82 though.

Faves are UMT, 20 Flight, and TIOMS.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 2, 2020 17:11

Elmo Lewis

Yeah, kinda... but the thrilling opening of STILL LIFE - you know, a little snippet of Ellington tune, then a sudden burst of audience noise, the introduction and the majestic opening riff of "Under My Thumb" loud, clear and distinct, so powerful... that's probably the best reconstructed start of a Rolling Stones concert ever made in a recording. It really gets one to feel like being there at present, capturing the moment of grasping 'oh man, it's the Stones'... It gives goosegumps every time I hear it. I call it 'reconstructed' because I have never heard any other recording of the tour - official or not - making such an impression (actually the ones in Hal Ashby movie and Hampton are pretty lame compared to it). What is great in old-time live albums is that they were more like trying to make an impression, or even illusion of a Rolling Stones concert, not an authentic documentation. They were their own works of art.

Nowadays when I very rarely listen the album it is "Under My Thumb", "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Time Is On My Side" that I mostly pick up. All great played and mixed and sounding sonically superb. The rest of the tracks don't work so well in that context me thinks. Some of them are way too rushed or autopilot-like ("Shattered","Let Me Go", "Start Me Up", "Satisfaction"), and the whole album sounds a bit monotonic. When those tracks are 'buried' in the setlist and a part of the natural flow in the concert - as represented in Hampton - they work better but not when having such a distinguished room of their own.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-02 17:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 2, 2020 23:39

Doxa

Yeah, kinda... but the thrilling opening of STILL LIFE - you know, a little snippet of Ellington tune, then a sudden burst of audience noise, the introduction and the majestic opening riff of "Under My Thumb" loud, clear and distinct, so powerful... that's probably the best reconstructed start of a Rolling Stones concert ever made in a recording. It really gets one to feel like being there at present, capturing the moment of grasping 'oh man, it's the Stones'... It gives goosegumps every time I hear it.

Same with me...therefore and for further reasons Still Life will
always have a special meaning...we really played it to death in the summer
of '82....

Date: October 3, 2020 20:11

I use to listen to this album frequently and I agree that Hampton sort of put this on the backburner.

It seems that maybe this album was released to help stop bootlegging/ piracy as several of the songs were broadcast.

I say this because several of the Vault releases were broadcasts and I am sure Mick would rather have the money in his pocket than those of bootleggers.

Maybe others have more details on this aspect but LSTNT, Shattered and TIOMS are all from Hampton which was a PPV. Then we have a couple of tracks from the Phoenix show which was part of LSTNT movie. I believe SMU was from of the Chicago shows was broadcast on FM radio. There was also an FM broadcast which included some of the Washington DC shows and I believe GTAGG was from DC.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 3, 2020 20:45

Yep, the clou of Still Life was the intro followed by Under My Thumb and Let's Spend The Night Together. And the colorful artwork by Kazuhide Yamazakiy.
Plus the fact that this was the only official album to cover the tour.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 5, 2020 11:22

I've always liked Still Life .

I find the vaults Leeds Roundhay Park release to be nice alternative listen to that period on stage too when I fancy something a bit less polished.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 8, 2020 09:55

35love
Great pics, thank you-
They shoulda put Philadelphia '81 'Tops' on Still Life. Now we're talkin'
I shoulda been able to use the RS tickets I won in '81 to see them
coulda woulda shoulda shoodbie shattered

I heard that version of TOPS once.

Is there any live recording of "No Use In Crying". (did they ever do it??)

Date: October 8, 2020 13:12

They did Tops in Buffalo, too. They've never done No Use In Crying.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2020 13:19

DandelionPowderman
They did Tops in Buffalo, too.

And in Boulder. Considering that them 3 live attempts of Tops were all early in the tour when they were quite rusty, Tops was allright. Buffalo-Tops is my favourite

Date: October 8, 2020 13:47

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
They did Tops in Buffalo, too.

And in Boulder. Considering that them 3 live attempts of Tops were all early in the tour when they were quite rusty, Tops was allright. Buffalo-Tops is my favourite

Same here.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 8, 2020 15:13

Doxa
Elmo Lewis

Yeah, kinda... but the thrilling opening of STILL LIFE - you know, a little snippet of Ellington tune, then a sudden burst of audience noise, the introduction and the majestic opening riff of "Under My Thumb" loud, clear and distinct, so powerful... that's probably the best reconstructed start of a Rolling Stones concert ever made in a recording. It really gets one to feel like being there at present, capturing the moment of grasping 'oh man, it's the Stones'... It gives goosegumps every time I hear it. I call it 'reconstructed' because I have never heard any other recording of the tour - official or not - making such an impression (actually the ones in Hal Ashby movie and Hampton are pretty lame compared to it). What is great in old-time live albums is that they were more like trying to make an impression, or even illusion of a Rolling Stones concert, not an authentic documentation. They were their own works of art.

Nowadays when I very rarely listen the album it is "Under My Thumb", "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Time Is On My Side" that I mostly pick up. All great played and mixed and sounding sonically superb. The rest of the tracks don't work so well in that context me thinks. Some of them are way too rushed or autopilot-like ("Shattered","Let Me Go", "Start Me Up", "Satisfaction"), and the whole album sounds a bit monotonic. When those tracks are 'buried' in the setlist and a part of the natural flow in the concert - as represented in Hampton - they work better but not when having such a distinguished room of their own.

- Doxa

I love the behind-the-curtain footage in the Ashby film. It's just looks like organised chaos and even when the announcer starts to speak, it looks like no one is ready but the curtains get pulled back and it all comes together like magic!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 8, 2020 18:54

Every song is played too fast during that tour. It’s like they just wanted to get the hell out of there

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 8, 2020 19:51

Elmo Lewis

I'd still like a good release of LSTNT on blu ray

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 8, 2020 22:22

The Japanes blu ray is excellent!

Date: October 9, 2020 05:09

Why did they release Twenty Flight Rock and Under My Thumb as the B-sides to Time Is On My Side instead of something not on the album like they did for Going To A Go-Go?

That's ridiculous.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 9, 2020 06:31

"Still Life" is a great live album, and is the only live
album in my collection other than "Get Yer Ya Yas Out"
and "Brussels Affair".

What really makes the album is the inclusion of a little
diversity (for a change), with the two covers: "Twenty
Flight Rock" and "Going To A Go-Go".

Yeah, Yeah...I've heard the statement that "Still Life" is
irrelevant, now that "Hampton" has been released.

Well, in my opinion, "Hampton" is TOO LONG!

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: May 28, 2022 12:18

I found out years ago that I’d love the Stones for being “absolutely not perfect”. “Still Life” can be judged as a sloppy, commercially intended average product. The performance, the overdubs, the cuts.
But back then the Stones were the only band in the world, that would enter a stage in front of 90.000 and play like the garage band from the neighborhood. No use in delivering high-end audio whatever… Or expecting virtuous instrumental skills. It’s just “Here we are, you blokes! We don’t get up at 5 to work for the boss. We don’t practice for virtuosity. We get up just before the show. We don’t care if you dig it.”smoking smiley
And that’s art to me. And that’s represented on “Still Life”.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 28, 2022 14:04

.... cant argue with any of that caesar .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home