Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Still Life (1981 American Concert)
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 7, 2020 00:39

GasLightStreet
They're still nowhere near as redundant as the Grateful Dead.

Well, with around 187 official live releases out, there's bound to be a few that have similar - though not identical - songs in their sets. At least the Dead never played the same setlist (not even close!), they kept things fresh; whenever they played 3 nights in one city it was extremely rare for them to repeat one single song.

Deadheads are happy campers :-) No setlist bitching and moaning from them!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 7, 2020 00:42

Is no security the one with the photo of two random biker looking types on it?

Yikes.

My #1 live are pretty much as above (this doesn't count latter day "vault" type releases, just contemporary to the time live albums):

A bit of GLIYWI (actually the EP by the same name was way better)

Get Yer Ya Yas Out all time #1

El Mocambo side of LYL. The rest of that album is a waste of vinyl if you ask me.

The rest are forgettable and redundant or are to me at least. I was actively buying boots all this time and the official live albums just never came up to that standard despite the recording quality improvement. They just insisted on messing with the final product too much.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 7, 2020 01:13

FrogSugar
GasLightStreet
They're still nowhere near as redundant as the Grateful Dead.

Well, with around 187 official live releases out, there's bound to be a few that have similar - though not identical - songs in their sets. At least the Dead never played the same setlist (not even close!), they kept things fresh; whenever they played 3 nights in one city it was extremely rare for them to repeat one single song.

Deadheads are happy campers :-) No setlist bitching and moaning from them!

Yep. However, after 50 or so... good grief. Why bother.

Date: June 7, 2020 01:21

re: GD, why bother is that they are just in the past few years putting out the REALLY good stuff, which, predictably, for me anyway, is from their beginning up to about 1972. Pigpen days basically. After really not liking the GD much since then, I have really been enjoying all the early live recordings they have been releasing. Most of this was previously available in trading circles I suppose, but I was never into that scene for the GD so its all a revelation to me, especially 1969 and back. Their studio LPs, especially Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa, are really great and the backdating they have done to them makes them all the more enjoyable.

And of course the connections between the GD and the Stones run deep and long, if not always amiable.

jb

Date: June 7, 2020 01:28

jbwelda
re: GD, why bother is that they are just in the past few years putting out the REALLY good stuff, which, predictably, for me anyway, is from their beginning up to about 1972. Pigpen days basically. After really not liking the GD much since then, I have really been enjoying all the early live recordings they have been releasing. Most of this was previously available in trading circles I suppose, but I was never into that scene for the GD so its all a revelation to me, especially 1969 and back. Their studio LPs, especially Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa, are really great and the backdating they have done to them makes them all the more enjoyable.

And of course the connections between the GD and the Stones run deep and long, if not always amiable.

jb

LOL what I mean is, even though they didn't repeat the same songs 3 nights in a row, after 30 years of live boots... I can't imagine their sound changed too much year to year.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 7, 2020 01:51

That's precisely where you are wrong about the Dead, GasLightStreet. They sounded drastically different in different eras - not unlike the Brian Jones, Mick T, Ron Wood changes in sound.

The Dead in 69, 72, 77, 89/90 are totally different. Some swear by 77 while others think back-up singer Donna ruins everything she touches. Others swear by the resurgence in 89/90 but howl at the plink-plink keyboards of Brent Mydland.

I admit they are an acquired taste, but then so is coffee and red wine.

T@3

Date: June 7, 2020 02:07

TeaAtThree
That's precisely where you are wrong about the Dead, GasLightStreet. They sounded drastically different in different eras - not unlike the Brian Jones, Mick T, Ron Wood changes in sound.

The Dead in 69, 72, 77, 89/90 are totally different. Some swear by 77 while others think back-up singer Donna ruins everything she touches. Others swear by the resurgence in 89/90 but howl at the plink-plink keyboards of Brent Mydland.

I admit they are an acquired taste, but then so is coffee and red wine.

T@3

I don't have any of their live boots, was just guessing!

Date: June 7, 2020 02:19

>back-up singer Donna ruins everything she touches

<raises hand>

jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2020 05:02

masseywinos
I really liked No Security. Besides having the best cover ever, the newer material better than studio versions. And I like all the others even the Dave Mathews guest spot.

The only thing I remember from the No Security CD is Sister Morphine, which was truly rare, and great.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: June 7, 2020 05:45

24FPS
masseywinos
I really liked No Security. Besides having the best cover ever, the newer material better than studio versions. And I like all the others even the Dave Mathews guest spot.

The only thing I remember from the No Security CD is Sister Morphine, which was truly rare, and great.

Respectable is awesome on No Security!

Date: June 7, 2020 05:49

I love Still Life. There some great live material on it. If it had a few more songs including Waiting on a Friend, Beast of Burden and Let It Bleed it would be even better.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 7, 2020 09:12

Exilestones: Beast of burden was released as a b-side single to "Still Life". Going to a Go Go was the a-side. See above.

Date: June 7, 2020 10:49

24FPS
masseywinos

Corinna with Taj Mahal deserves a mention? smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 7, 2020 15:59

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
masseywinos

Corinna with Taj Mahal deserves a mention? smiling smiley

There's more than that that deserve mention.

Date: June 7, 2020 16:23

Stoneage

Exilestones: Beast of burden was released as a b-side single to "Still Life". Going to a Go Go was the a-side. See above.

Yes, I had the 7" and the 12" of Going to a Go-Go with Beast of Burden. I thought it would be great to have it on the album. There was a lot of work done to Beast of Burden as if it was a candidate for Still Life but at leaset we got it as a b-side.

We did get it on Still Life Revamped! (unofficial)

WOW! Nice poster.

Thanks.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 7, 2020 16:36

I knew a guy from school who played the 12" Beast Of Burden b-side that I gave for his birthday over and over again for the entire evening smiling smiley

A Still Life highlight that wasn't on Still Life...

Date: June 7, 2020 16:43

SomeGuy
I knew a guy from school who played the 12" Beast Of Burden b-side that I gave for his birthday over and over again for the entire evening smiling smiley

A Still Life highlight that wasn't on Still Life...

Exactly! There were a few other songs I would have liked to have seen on the alubm but Beast and others would change it from a fast-paced party album.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 7, 2020 17:41

TeaAtThree

Yup. I like various eras, but my favourite releases are
1972 - Sunshine Daydream (Veneta Oregon) (the concert is also up on YouTube)
1975 - One From the Vault (where they play all of Blues for Allah)
1977 - Cornell University (probably Deadheads' favourite show, released for the first time around 5 years ago)
1978 - Red Rocks
1978 - The Closing of Winterland (the concert is also up on YouTube)

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 7, 2020 21:04

I am now enjoying, for the first time, Hampton Blu-ray.

This is amazing!

By the way, I do love Still Life, I was 11 back in 1982. Everybody I knew had this LP and it was a symbol of a generation here in Portugal.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 7, 2020 21:08

marquess
I am now enjoying, for the first time, Hampton Blu-ray.

This is amazing!

By the way, I do love Still Life, I was 11 back in 1982. Everybody I knew had this LP and it was a symbol of a generation here in Portugal.

As said over 100 posts that version of Start me Up is the greatest - enjoy!!

Date: June 7, 2020 23:27

I went into my records and dug up Still Life. Then I remembered I gave away my original copy and instead have two of the picture disc versions. I am sure the sound on them is crap so I didn't play it to recall. I do however have the two 12" from the album plus at least one 7" single and am going to play those today sometime. Thinking back I recall giving the "normal" LP to a friend of mine who wanted it, I figured I never listened to it anyway and I have the "super rare ltd edition" (ha ha, probably a half million pressed) picture disk so I can hang it on the wall and get all the enjoyment out of it I would with the normal version.

jb

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 8, 2020 01:00

At the time this album was really fantastic, how many times I listened to it! However I prefer LYL which in my opinion is the best live of the rolling stones ever.
LYL is really fundamental for me, the guitars were as fantastic as the rhythm section, Mick was very wild and Bill Preston's plan was impressive.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: June 8, 2020 08:16

I think "Still Life" is a perfect title for this one. I was at the Chicago (the arena was actually in Rosemont IL) show where Start Me Up was recorded. After a strong opening with UMT, the rest of the album just isn't that exciting to me. Haven't listened to it in probably 30 years.

Date: June 8, 2020 09:54

The 1981/82 tour was called the last tour by many. And in a way it was. It was the last tour with the original 6 stones, Stu included. The last tour with a successful string of albums behind it (SG, ER, TY).
It was the last tour where the warhorses were not older than 10-15 years. It's hard to understand a Stones fan not liking it. Or preferring newer material over it. Even though it's not flawless by any means.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2020 14:35

The title says it all - soulless versions of songs that are played far too fast. Probably my least favourite Stones' album.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 8, 2020 15:02

This live version of UNder My Thumb is by far the best one of all times. It was my Stones fanfare thru the 80ies and help me a lot lot on my way getting strong and selfconfident.
It was a bless too as a DJ in the 8Oies.
A song of my life.
Still.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 28, 2020 15:52

Is there a decent version ONLINE of the movie that I can buy? I noticed the DVD runs a little too fast.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 28, 2020 16:16

schwonek
Is there a decent version ONLINE of the movie that I can buy? I noticed the DVD runs a little too fast.
Japanese bluray PCXE-50560 ???
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2020 18:07

Stoneage
The 1981/82 tour was called the last tour by many. And in a way it was. It was the last tour with the original 6 stones, Stu included. The last tour with a successful string of albums behind it (SG, ER, TY).
It was the last tour where the warhorses were not older than 10-15 years. It's hard to understand a Stones fan not liking it. Or preferring newer material over it. Even though it's not flawless by any means.

Not sure, but I don't think Ronnie was one of the original Stones. Does anyone know?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 28, 2020 19:37

You're right of course, Elmo. I guess Brian couldn't be there...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home