Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Still Life (1981 American Concert)
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 1, 2020 16:36

Love this album. One of my first Stones LP’s so always a special thing for me.
Also love the accompanying movie.
When Keith sings the chorus to Time is on my side and he’s got that sort of rueful look on his face of the irony seemingly apparent at the time that they were surely almost at the end of their run. They weren’t even half way through!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 1, 2020 16:39

I’ve got a lot of great memories associated with this album. I listened to it non-stop on my boom box in the summer of ‘82. I think I’m’ going to listen to it today to escape all the craziness of violent riots and Covid. An audio-escape to recharge and refresh.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 1, 2020 16:51

In a short 45 minutes this little live document captures the great vibe of a show perfectly. The reason why it was short probably was, as Mick stated at the time, that it came so quickly after only three studio albums. A far cry from today when almost everything is an excuse to bring out yet another live recording.

Definitely my favourite Rolling Stones live album: great performances, great sound, great vibe, or, as we say here, atmosphere. And great memories of that summer.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 1, 2020 17:23

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
...However, keep in mind that the official Hampton has the same overdubs as on Still Life ...

Had no clue about that, wow. Still I was referring to my original bootleg of Hampton, 3 LP set, which sounds amazing! Although I bought the official Hampton, I've yet to listen to that version yet.

Yeah, I've heard that the Swinging Pig-set is crap compared with other boots of that show (too much audience noise!).

Those three guitars in the bridge of LSTNT are a bit disturbing, imo, but Keith's backing vocals on TIOMS works fine. Mick's new vocals on Miss You are superflous, imo. It's funny watching the DVD, though, as he sings the wrong lyrics on the overdubs smiling smiley

Got curious about this ... just pulled out my 3x lp copy of the bootleg, but no place is there any info on it, all blank labels and blank black box, so can't be sure if it is Swinging Pig. There is a nice booklet called American Tour 81, with great pictures but that doesn't list credits either -- i can't even be sure that booklet originally came w/ the box, i believe it did.

I did find my Emotional Rescue poster in there, the one that came w/ that album, all folded up neatly. So that's where I stored it!! -- love it!

This album (the bootleg, i mean) was so great at the time, i couldn't believe I got an entire concert on 3xLPs. I just put on Neighbors, not sure where the "crap" sound comes from, whoever passed that on is totally wrong. Neighbors is playing now and it sounds fantastic!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 1, 2020 17:39

LeonidP
Got curious about this ... just pulled out my 3x lp copy of the bootleg, but no place is there any info on it, all blank labels and blank black box, so can't be sure if it is Swinging Pig.

Blank labels....then it's not Swingin' Pig. There are about 40 various Hampton 81 bootlegs. But I think you have the one simply titled "American Tour 81"

Swingin Pig version is horribly overloaded. Just like Atlantic City 89.

My favourite vinyl of Hampton before the official release was/is "Grande Finale" and "We Hate You" - but they don't feature the entire concert.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 1, 2020 17:43

Erik_Snow
LeonidP
Got curious about this ... just pulled out my 3x lp copy of the bootleg, but no place is there any info on it, all blank labels and blank black box, so can't be sure if it is Swinging Pig.

Blank labels....then it's not Swingin' Pig. There are about 40 various Hampton 81 bootlegs. But I think you have the one simply titled "American Tour 81"

My favourite vinyl of Hampton before the official release was/is "Grande Finale" and "We Hate You" - but they don't feature the entire concert.

Thanks Erik, you must be correct, the booklet says "American Tour 81". Still playing it, great sound! And complete!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 1, 2020 17:57

A special one for me. Memories.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: June 1, 2020 20:56

I was about 12 years old when this came out; I had Ya Ya's and Hot Rocks. My brother had Some Girls, which I hadn't become familiar with yet. In my naivete I seriously thought the band on Still Life was different from the Ya Yas band. Ha.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 1, 2020 21:05

Erik_Snow
LeonidP

What do you mean by that? It took me forever to track down the SP version of AC89, and I'm fine with it so far. Do you expect the upcoming reissue to be better?

Date: June 1, 2020 22:09

Atlantic City 89 was the first CD bootleg I purchased, in the very early 90s, but the sound is so overloaded that I always wanted to turn it down even if played on low volume; unlike most RS live recordings.
Concerning the upcoming release, I can only offer outsider info or outsider guesses.... but yes, it's probably better than the TSP release, then again, there has been some terrible, qualitywise, official live releases lately, from their recent 90s tours. So maybe some bootlegs will still be the best source...who knows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-01 22:10 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 1, 2020 23:35

Loved Still life. Even the artwork by Kazuhide Yamazaki. The colors! And daytime shows. Under My Thumb and Let's Spend The Night Together stands out among others.
I remember I was disappointed it wasn't a double-lp since it had a gatefold cover. Later on I got the Hampton boot. "Twenty Flight Rock", 3-lp, EVA Records.
I can't remember anything but a very good sound on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-02 00:01 by Stoneage.

Date: June 1, 2020 23:40

I also have that one. It's such an amateurish and unflattering photo on the frontcover that it nearly turns into art-photography. Quite cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-01 23:40 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 1, 2020 23:42

You're right, Erik. They managed to split Ronnie in half... But the sound is good...

Date: June 1, 2020 23:48

The back-cover is better, tho' - Keith's looking like the Romanian dracula's BAD brother

Date: June 1, 2020 23:50

found an online scan...

Date: June 2, 2020 00:05

Erik, I included the backside in my original post above. You can keep your big picture if you want to though.

Date: June 2, 2020 00:07

oh I failed to see that. Well now we have an even bigger Dracula-Keith, so I'll leave it there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2020 06:05

Of all their live releases I probably listen to STILL LIFE the most.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2020 07:33

..... That's why ya still alive ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 2, 2020 12:34

Marvin Gaye music was absolutely a good "bedroom" incentive. Still Life is also Incendiary used in the right moments thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2020 18:51

I bought the original issue on vinyl, loved it.

When it came out on CD I got that as well. When it was reissued again on Virgin I got that as well.

Not long after that I found a different edition (from the original CD issue) that has a description of the album from the tour.

Date: June 2, 2020 21:23

Date: June 2, 2020 22:04

The edit for Imagination is excellent - it's impossible to figure out where it is just by listening to it (unlike some other live edits like Brown Sugar on LOVE YOU LIVE and Rocks Off from LIVE LICKS).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 2, 2020 22:15

If it wasn't for Twenty Flight Rock, and Going to a Go Go, I wouldn't listen to Still Life at all.

Date: June 2, 2020 22:43

24FPS
If it wasn't for Twenty Flight Rock, and Going to a Go Go, I wouldn't listen to Still Life at all.

You don't like Time Is On My Side? That version is stellar.

Twenty Flight is awesome.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 2, 2020 22:45

Twenty Flight is awesome.

I takes SL to a different level-

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 3, 2020 02:14

its a great live album as are the concerts from the same tour.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 3, 2020 12:47

Stoneage

Wow, the cover makes a lot more sense to me know with the left part...I always thought that was the Eiffel Tower for some reason and it never occurred to me that that was supposed to be a stadium, haha!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2020 12:51

Heck Frogsugar ....
Hope I get you in me next line-up ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 3, 2020 12:58

I bought this version of Still Life last year. I saw it at a store in Belfast and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it all looked so strange. But then discogs informed me that it was a misprint.

[www.discogs.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home