Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andrew Loog Oldham and the Stones
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 4, 2016 21:03

just a thought on the current relationship with ALO and the Stones ... friends? no contact, avoid each other? such an influential person for them when they took off...

wonder if they'll get together in Colombia?

Re: Andrew Loog Oldham and the Stones
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 5, 2016 17:59

I cannot see them meeting up.
Mick has never forgiven Oldham for the deals he made with Allen Klein, selling the copyrights and masters etc.
It must also be galling that he actually gets a small % cut from the publishing royalties of the 1960s material.
Keith might be more laid back about it, but not the Commander-in-Chief.

Date: February 5, 2016 18:11

I think he met with Keith in the 90s, and that they had a laugh, if memory serves..

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: February 5, 2016 20:15

Oldham wrote some great album liner notes when there were record albums. Plus his albums stack up well against a lot of the Stones later work, including Satanic Majesties.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 6, 2016 00:09

I saw his name once spelled as Andrew Lou Goldham >grinning smiley<

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: February 9, 2016 05:51

Andrew wrote Stoned and 2Stoned pick them up great reads....you won't be disappointed

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 9, 2016 15:34

I once saw someone transcribe "The first song we wrote was when we were locked in the kitchen by Andrew Oldham"
as "The first song we wrote was 'Locked in the Kitchen' by Andrew Autumn." Someone sure was confused! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 9, 2016 16:42

with sssoul
I once saw someone transcribe "The first song we wrote was when we were locked in the kitchen by Andrew Oldham"
as "The first song we wrote was 'Locked in the Kitchen' by Andrew Autumn." Someone sure was confused! eye popping smiley

It was finally released as Cook Cook Blues - NOT!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 9, 2016 17:11

I think he manages a band in Sth America and is based there. Seem to remember them getting a support slot at a Stones show in 95 or 98 ? , so things not that cold ?

sc uk

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2017 07:41

Was Andrew in the media at all during last year's South American tour? I really haven't heard anything about him since he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but wasn't well enough to travel to the States.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 13, 2017 14:36

He produced one or two records of a local Argentina band LOS RATONES PARANOICOS during the '90.

He used to live in Colombia those days.

Los Ratones Paranoicos opened many Stones shows here in Argentina.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:24

Fernandobsas
He produced one or two records of a local Argentina band LOS RATONES PARANOICOS during the '90.

He used to live in Colombia those days.

Los Ratones Paranoicos opened many Stones shows here in Argentina.

Bye
Fernando

Correct. I've actually been invited to one of these shows by Andrew. And of course he meets the Stones on occasions like these.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 22:51

I'm pretty sure he was in attendance at one or both of the Stones' shows at the SECC in Glasgow in September 2003. I was at the 1st of these shows. Whether he met the band or not I don't know but I remember seeing him interviewed by the media.

Date: September 14, 2017 00:24

Retired Dog,

just a question, are you Oldham friend ? just to know, it is not common be in touch with him you know.

Thanks
Fernando

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: September 14, 2017 00:33

He was definitely at the SECC Glasgow 2003 not sure which night or maybe both.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2017 00:39

He's fairly active on Twitter.
Actively refers to and of the band there as well.

Andrew Loog Oldham
@loogoldham
andrew loog oldham made the rolling stones a way of life - he continues daily to work on his.

everybodymustgetstoned.net

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 14, 2017 00:45

MisterDDDD
He's fairly active on Twitter.
Actively refers to and of the band there as well.

Andrew Loog Oldham
@loogoldham
andrew loog oldham made the rolling stones a way of life - he continues daily to work on his.

everybodymustgetstoned.net

[twitter.com]

Also on Facebook.
[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 14, 2017 03:00

Thanks for the responses. I hope Andrew does get to visit them backstage...or most of them anyway. I love his books. They are easily my favorite Stones books of all time. They're everything I wanted from LIFE but didn't get.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 14, 2017 03:46

Also produced some Charly Garcia stuff as I recall.

Strange, I was talking about him with my wife (who is Argentine) just today.

Date: September 14, 2017 05:15

Speaking of Argentina, I don't know if Rodrigo Royan posts here, but he was an old pen pal in Argentina and had a heck of a Stones collection.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 14, 2017 11:52

Rocky Dijon
Thanks for the responses. I hope Andrew does get to visit them backstage...or most of them anyway. I love his books. They are easily my favorite Stones books of all time. They're everything I wanted from LIFE but didn't get.

I agree. Very entertaining and liked the 'use' of other observers of the times for their opinion.
Whether it was for legal reasons, I was disappointed that the deals he made with Klein in the later period, by which ABKCO secured recording and publishing copyrights are not mentioned. He also disses the dirt on people like Eric Easton and Music Publisher David Platz when his own business ethics are hardly admirable. Ask the musicians who signed up to Immediate and see a different viewpoint.

Still, I hope he had the energy and enthusiasm to complete another book, his life post 1970 has certainly had its ups and downs. Sometimes life away from the spotlight can be more interesting to read than the 'fame period'.

Date: September 14, 2017 17:35

Oh I agree that Andrew was no saint. When Humble Pie's Jerry Shirley was working as a disc jockey in Cleveland, I used to call him up late at night and he'd chat while songs played. He told me his share of Andrew stories as well as Giorgio Gomelsky stories. Fascinating stuff when you're a teen or in your early twenties and live and breathe for music. Quite honestly, it still interests me.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:20

Rocky Dijon
Was Andrew in the media at all during last year's South American tour? I really haven't heard anything about him since he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but wasn't well enough to travel to the States.

He was out of town when they played Bogotá. Well played.

He travels a lot. The RRHoF absence stemmed from poor form by the organizers.

Date: September 14, 2017 21:01

Interesting. Here in town, we were told he was ill. Sorry he wasn't there, but glad he wasn't ill.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:05

the second album that Oldham produced for LOS RATONES PARANOICOS was HECHO EN MEMPHIS (MADE IN MEMPHIS) and Oldham got Mick Taylor to play a cuople of songs in this album.

Also Taylor come to Argentina to play with the RATONES PARANOICOS.

Bye
Fernando

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home