Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Miss You
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2016 20:02

HMS
The song sucks live, I can´t stand it. Never understood the crowd liking it so much. In the past I liked the studio version to a certain degree, but after so many live versions I hardly bear to listen to the studio-version. I wish they´d replace it, Rain Fall Down would be a nice choice, imo. But I know they won´t.

The proper choice would be Emotional Rescue, not something lame nobody knows (like Rain Fall Down). But it's highly unlikely they won't play their last #1 US single (their last #1 UK single was Honky Tonk Women).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 2, 2016 20:28

miss you is ok, sort of good when you get into it, but not really a song they should be doing every gig.

it bridges a gap though and allows for folk to have pee breaks, tea breaks and any other break they want.

i would have it replaced with any ballad, or even dance or hot stuff.

Date: February 3, 2016 03:52

buttons67
miss you is ok, sort of good when you get into it, but not really a song they should be doing every gig.

it bridges a gap though and allows for folk to have pee breaks, tea breaks and any other break they want.

It was their last US #1 single, which carries a lot of weight. It's a great song. Yes it's been overplayed - but so have some other tunes, especially not played good, like Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.

But those were big hits so of course they're going to play them. Just like Miss You was. Just be glad it's not @#$%& Angie...

Date: February 3, 2016 04:36

The editing of the keyboard part breakdown in the 12" remix is awesome.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 12:23

GasLightStreet
buttons67

It was their last US #1 single, which carries a lot of weight. It's a great song. Yes it's been overplayed - but so have some other tunes, especially not played good, like Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.

But those were big hits so of course they're going to play them. Just like Miss You was. Just be glad it's not @#$%& Angie...

Interesting point about Angie. Is it their least played monster hit? In this world of warhorse set lists, it's absence is notable.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 3, 2016 18:14

Angie seldom worked well live. And it is an awful song. The Stones themselves dont like it very much, I guess.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 21:19

dont think it is a bad song. but it does not fit in big gigs. rakter than other other slow stones songs like "to tears go by" or "wild horses".. when i play dinner music in a big hotel we usually play "as tears" and "angie" as "wallpaper" music...

Date: February 4, 2016 00:47

Turner68
GasLightStreet
buttons67

But those were big hits so of course they're going to play them. Just like Miss You was. Just be glad it's not farking Angie...

Interesting point about Angie. Is it their least played monster hit? In this world of warhorse set lists, it's absence is notable.

I'd prefer that their least played monster hit is Emotional Rescue... it did make #3 in the US.

On the 1973 tour Angie was fantastic, having listened to BRUSSELS etc. They were able to expand on it live, to PLAY it. It had oomph. It was serious. Since then it seems to be such a let down, essentially it's just fluff. Played basically as a "yeah it was a hit single so...". On the excellent 1990 boot SEVENTH OF JULY the only good thing about it is Ronnie's solo!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 4, 2016 00:52

For such a Stones sappy gal, you'd think I'd love 'Angie'.
I don't.
But I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES!!

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 4, 2016 01:09

35love
For such a Stones sappy gal, you'd think I'd love 'Angie'.
I don't.
But I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES!!
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: March 17, 2016 19:25

I am killing time b4 an appt., and to double check myself, I finally pulled up
'Miss You' Zipcode May 2015 San Diego live, my first and 13th row,
Mick said 'low down nasty time like we used to'
and my knees buckled and I can hear myself yelling WHOOOO
split second after LOL. Sorry I crack myself up. Here's the clip if interested in the best to me forever live 'Miss You'
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 17, 2016 20:58

The studio version (the 12" in particular) is pure genius. The disco groove, mixed with the bluesy guitars and harp and the Mayfield-like soulish lead vocals on top of that - great. What's not to like?

But the live performances are a different beast. Great in 1978, but already in 1981 the song started to sound generic on stage. And it's been a downwards spiral ever since. Vegas-like showmanship, nothing else. Take-it-easy-time for the band. Running around, waving arms, clowning. But good enough for the audiences nowadays who know little more (if anything) than their hits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 21:01 by alimente.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 17, 2016 21:02

stones2000
You mean do the Stones play it live anymore? Yup, they play it pretty frequently. Actually, they played it at most of (if not every) show on Zip Code

I've been seeing the Stones since 1978 and the only Miss You-less concert I saw was at Giants Stadium n 2006 where Under My Thumb took Miss You's usual slot.

Date: March 17, 2016 21:07

alimente
The studio version (the 12" in particular) is pure genius. The disco groove, mixed with the bluesy guitars and harp and the Mayfield-like soulish lead vocals on top of that - great. What's not to like?

But the live performances are a different beast. Great in 1978, but already in 1981 the song started to sound generic on stage. And it's been a downwards spiral ever since. Vegas-like showmanship, nothing else. Take-it-easy-time for the band. Running around, waving arms, clowning. But good enough for the audiences nowadays who know little more (if anything) than their hits.

*Yes, I can see your point, however I've been in love w/ Mick Jagger since I was 13 and had never seen it sung live, and, well....I think if ya find MJ sexy, this is a keeper :-)

Date: March 17, 2016 21:59

It would be wonderful to miss Miss You to me

My least most favorite song of the show since VooDoo Lounge

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home