Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Paul Kantner RIP (Jefferson Airplane/Starship)
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 30, 2016 21:04

If you hear some hipster music of today, the source very possibly is Jefferson Airplane. -A rip off, with some more guitars added.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 31, 2016 08:55

2000 LYFH
RIP Paul, can't believe your gone.

December 6, 1969: Paul (red shirt) looking out over the Altamont crowd

That is an absolutely brilliant photo. I don't recall seeing it. I must be in a bubble, I'm just finding out about this here and now. Another bit of sadness and reflection. Tough times again in the Bay area music scene.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 31, 2016 09:28

I saw Starship tonight and am sad to say the band barely made a reference to Paul's passing. What they did say was not particularly flattering and was only a passing comment leading into a song. The venue had a tribute of their own prior to the show and the band was not involved at all. Paul's guitar was on the side of the stage but the band never acknowledged it and were all smiles throughout the show.

Withou Paul, the current lineup of Starship has no original members. Paul was the driving force of Jefferson Airplane and Starship. He is the reason fans were sitting in the seats and buying tickets. The band's indifference was shocking
But should not take away from Paul's legecy. I wish my report was more positive.

Paul will be missed by his fans.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 31, 2016 10:54

SADDD…. Some 3-4 years ago I rushed after work during some terrible humid summer evening to see him, and JS, doing a very intimate gig in some Tel Aviv club. Close to the end I went an stood just in front of him… seemed as if he hasn’t changed a bit since the late 60s, just got old the way movie actors are “done” to look old when acting in a movie that covers a life time of the same person… same unique pattern of playing his guitar(s) – that also seemed to have been the same old guitars from that time… just scratched. Also with that same stripe or tape on the top of the guitars body.

He seemed to be struggling a bit when playing, but then he looked that way also in the late 60s… concentrated and looked as if he is gazing miles away and not into the small crowd. I recall thinking to myself “god how lucky I am to look at the legend from so close, yet in a very comfortable atmosphere”.

R.I.P Paul…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-31 10:56 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 31, 2016 16:45

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 31, 2016 17:46

Nice pic Long John Stoner. thumbs up

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 31, 2016 18:01

swimtothemoon
I saw Starship tonight and am sad to say the band barely made a reference to Paul's passing. What they did say was not particularly flattering and was only a passing comment leading into a song. The venue had a tribute of their own prior to the show and the band was not involved at all. Paul's guitar was on the side of the stage but the band never acknowledged it and were all smiles throughout the show.

Withou Paul, the current lineup of Starship has no original members. Paul was the driving force of Jefferson Airplane and Starship. He is the reason fans were sitting in the seats and buying tickets. The band's indifference was shocking
But should not take away from Paul's legecy. I wish my report was more positive.

Did you see Starship or Jefferson Starship? "Starship" is a band fronted by Mickey Thomas that Paul hated and had absolutely nothing to do with. Since 1992, Paul had been touring with a re-vamped version of Jefferson Starship, which mostly played 1960s Jefferson Airplane material, delving into the 1970s stuff only when Marty Balin sang with them, and never, ever playing any of the 1980s "We Built This City" crap.

77-year-old David Freiberg, another Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship alumnus, was also a member of the modern-day Jefferson Starship.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-31 18:41 by tatters.

Date: January 31, 2016 18:51

Yes, Starship! Starship had nothing to do with JA/JS tha band was really bad, not JA/JS legacy

RIP Paul, another picture from Altamont

© Robert Altman

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 31, 2016 20:02

swimtothemoon

Paul sued Mickey Thomas more than once over the Starship name. Paul also hired the Starship drummer who beat up Mickey, to the point of needing maajor facial reconstructive surgery, to be in his own band. Mickey might have interpreted that move as an act of spite. So yeah, maybe Mickey Thomas isn't quite feeling the glowing tributes Paul is getting at this point.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 31, 2016 21:34

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 31, 2016 22:02

Long John Stoner
video: [www.youtube.com]
That was interesting, super props to the person recording and posting it to share with us and you for linking smileys with beer That is a historic clip for several reasons.

Grace Slick!! Such a great powerful distinctive rock and roll voice.
Seeing/hearing her up close and personal back in the day during that sliver time in from late 70s to mid 80s was a huge reason I was all over her and Paul's band back then.

It would cool if Grace would record some songs today, maybe in the style that Johnny Cash did for some of his later recordings (e.g. Man comes around, Hurt, etc) I love her voice.

Date: January 31, 2016 23:59

tatters
swimtothemoon

Did you see Starship or Jefferson Starship? "Starship" is a band fronted by Mickey Thomas that Paul hated and had absolutely nothing to do with. Since 1992, Paul had been touring with a re-vamped version of Jefferson Starship, which mostly played 1960s Jefferson Airplane material, delving into the 1970s stuff only when Marty Balin sang with them, and never, ever playing any of the 1980s "We Built This City" crap.

77-year-old David Freiberg, another Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship alumnus, was also a member of the modern-day Jefferson Starship.

[www.youtube.com]
Yes it was Jefferson Starship - Paul's band. He was playing with them until around the 16th of January then they had a week or ten days off. It was during this time that he suffered the heart attack, early last week, which resulted in Organ failure And his death on Thursday.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 1, 2016 00:23

Grace does artwork, some of it related to rock. I'm sure one can find some of the images on the internet.

Date: February 1, 2016 04:33

Yes she does, this is Mick and Keith by Grace Slick

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 1, 2016 06:19

RollingFreak
it was hard for me, as someone that wasn't around at the time, to follow them.

....WHERE were you if you were not there? Somewhere else?

Rod

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 1, 2016 14:18

swimtothemoon
tatters
swimtothemoon

[www.youtube.com]
Yes it was Jefferson Starship - Paul's band. He was playing with them until around the 16th of January then they had a week or ten days off. It was during this time that he suffered the heart attack, early last week, which resulted in Organ failure And his death on Thursday.

Weird that they would just go on like that as if nothing happened. Contractual obligations that had to be fulfilled, maybe? I really can't see how that band can even continue to exist without Paul.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 1, 2016 22:06

The Jefferson Starship website shows them touring through April, with the word "firm" added in capital letters after each date. So, presumably, they do have to fulfill their dates. David Freiberg is still in the band, so he is the one link to the past of both the Airplane and Jefferson Starship.

There is an interview with Marty Balin done a few day after Paul's death in which he said that Paul called him to join the tour. Marty declined, and he didn't believe that Paul would be able to take all the travel involved. He said that Paul was in very poor health after his last heart attack in 2015.

Date: February 1, 2016 22:39

tatters
swimtothemoon
tatters
swimtothemoon

[www.youtube.com]

Weird that they would just go on like that as if nothing happened. Contractual obligations that had to be fulfilled, maybe? I really can't see how that band can even continue to exist without Paul.

Well I don't want to wish any thing negative for the band but I agree. Slick A. Who filled in for Paul is very good though. But, of course, not Paul.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home