Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Why no Doom and Gloom on this tour of South America?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 18, 2016 16:49

It is not in the top twenty.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 18, 2016 16:57

bv
It is not in the top twenty.

Very true bv, but many of their setlist selections could be labelled as such, also. My take on it's exclusion is that they are no-longer promoting the Grrr best-of. The song was treated as a token 'extra' - like Don't Stop - and, perhaps, has served it's purpose.

Re: Wy no Doom and Gloom on this tour of South America?
Date: February 18, 2016 17:00

wicked67
It is a ridiculous song!I hope that does not sound more live.....
I had a laugh reading this, but it is so true... Most ridiculous, indeed.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 18, 2016 17:07

Because its a bad song, and do the Stones justice.
Speaking of it, rough Justice would be nice if they play it. Maybe on the European leg????
Jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 18, 2016 18:54

It would be very sad if they´d never play Doom And Gloom live again. Maybe the video screen footage got lost or whatever... The SA crowds would extremly enjoy it, wouldn´t they?

Such a great great song, classic-Stones-stuff with a modern tinge. I love it - loved it when it was released, still love it and will keep on loving it FOREVER. Great song.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 18, 2016 19:18

What else do you want? Don't Stop? (can't even remember how it goes)

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: February 18, 2016 19:59

DeanGoodman

I think Don't Stop is far better than Doom And Gloom.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:09

Doom & Gloom is the best new Stones song of the Post-Wyman era. It's actually different, not straining to sound like a Stones song. It actually pushes the band ahead, and is a unique sound for its time. But I can see why it wouldn't be on the platter for South America. Those people want the hits, and the hits they will get.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:16

Doom is very good indeed great!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:08

flilflam
While D and G is not my favorite Stones tune, I find it puzzling it has not yet appeared on the set lists. Maybe, this was not a popular song in South America. I have seen it played, on YouTube, in Europe to great enthusiasm. You would think the Stones would want to play at least one fairly recently released song on the tour.

Maybe it will show up later.

Doom and gloom is not one of their top 150 songs, much less top 40, or 30, or 20, or 18.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:15

Below average song at best- the South American fans should be thankful they don't have to hear it live.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:30

So people here are claiming that they saw Doom and Gloom played live in concert and thought it didn't work at all? really?

The Stones finally play a song written in this century and people who were at the concert thought to themselves at the show "THIS SONG SUCKS!!" ? really?

confused smiley smh

I saw it played live last summer and I thought it was pretty damn good.
I thought to myself at the show that it was great to hear a new Stones song played live.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:51

They play top twenty in markets they rarely go to. Like if they were to go to Kuala Lumpur or Mongolia or Alaska, it is top twenty. In NYC and London and Boston it is a different story. It's not really rocket science. It is crowd pleasing science. Works well with the most known songs.

Bjornulf

Date: February 19, 2016 01:06

24FPS
Doom & Gloom is the best new Stones song of the Post-Wyman era. It's actually different, not straining to sound like a Stones song. It actually pushes the band ahead, and is a unique sound for its time. But I can see why it wouldn't be on the platter for South America. Those people want the hits, and the hits they will get.

I like D&G, but it's nowhere near the quality of How Can I Stop, imo.

Date: February 19, 2016 01:08

Then there is the whole "oldies act" label that I hear some people apply to my favorite band sometimes, so I liked it when they added a brand new rocker like Doom and Gloom in to the mix.

Even ya never heard it and ya like The Stones Doom and Gloom sounds great on first listen.... and is danceable on the first listen. sounds great smoking smiley

I remember the first time I heard Doom and Gloom when someone had grabbed a recording of it from outside the Paris rehearsals and posted it online. I was pretty happy to hear D&G was a rocker anthem.

Date: February 19, 2016 01:10

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

I like D&G, but it's nowhere near the quality of How Can I Stop, imo.

Those are completely different genres of songs.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 19, 2016 01:24

24FPS
Doom & Gloom is the best new Stones song of the Post-Wyman era...

Interesting... but I rank the following above 'Doom and Gloom':

[*] 'Brand New Car'
    [*] 'Gunface'
    [*] 'Thief in the Night'
    [*] 'Rough Justice'
    [*] 'She Saw Me Coming'

24FPS
...It's actually different, not straining to sound like a Stones song.

I disagree, it sounds amongst the most forced and artificial of Stones songs.

Olly.

Date: February 19, 2016 01:36

24FPS
Doom & Gloom is the best new Stones song of the Post-Wyman era. It's actually different, not straining to sound like a Stones song. It actually pushes the band ahead, and is a unique sound for its time.

Right on, completely agree, a Stones song for the 21st century

Date: February 19, 2016 01:57

Because they finally are at the Vegas-level Greatest Hits band status...

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 19, 2016 02:18

I think his point is that it is their most recent song and thought it would be refreshing for them to be playing newer material - I think that his point anyway...

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 02:46

Yes DnG play it and rough justice. Love it

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 19, 2016 02:53

georgelicks
No much room for it when you only play 18 songs and 14-15 are the same each night.

Exactly...plus it's pretty crap.
Brand New Car is another shit song...please dont play that!!

Date: February 19, 2016 03:20

MacLaurens
DeanGoodman

I think Don't Stop is far better than Doom And Gloom.

I think Don't Stop is far worse than Doom and Gloom.

I think Don't Stop is far worse than most of their post-Wyman material .... in a category with Anybody Seen My Baby / Stealing My Heart / Look What the Cat Dragged In etc. Rough Justice is not too far behind those.

Re: Olé Tour setlist speculations...
Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:50

My 2 cents. I think it's cool when they play something fairlly new regardless if its in their top twenty or not. I have attended many a Dylan concert and heard entire sets with maybe two or three top twenty songs and never left dissapointed.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: February 19, 2016 04:32

One other thing. Of all the "recent" tunes folks keep bringing up that they like no one ever mentions "Oh No Not You Again". Guess I'm an idiot but I love that song.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:16

There's not room for it anymore, with a setlist of 21-22 songs maybe but not now with 18 songs. The first 4 songs are always the same, then song #5 is the web vote, song 6 could be a classic slow song as Wild Horses, Angie, Beast Of Burden or something rare as ASMB or CYHMK on La Plata, song #7 is PIB, and then the warhorses jam band starts with 10 minutes versions of all the warhorses, over and over again.
You can't play too much diverse stuff with only 18 songs on the setlist.

Date: February 21, 2016 19:14

everwest1
Then there is the whole "oldies act" label that I hear some people apply to my favorite band sometimes, so I liked it when they added a brand new rocker like Doom and Gloom in to the mix.

Even if ya never heard it and ya like The Stones Doom and Gloom sounds great on first listen.... and is danceable on the first listen. sounds great smoking smiley

I remember the first time I heard Doom and Gloom when someone had grabbed a recording of it from outside the Paris rehearsals and posted it online. I was pretty happy to hear D&G was a rocker anthem.

btw-

"THIS ONE IS CALLED "DOOM AND GLOOM"" - Mick Jagger Feb 20 2016 in RIO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 19:17 by everwest1.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 22, 2016 00:10

bv
They play top twenty in markets they rarely go to...

Indeed, and yet there is an inconsistency at play here:

On Saturday in Brazil, the crowd heard 'Out of Control', as expected, as well as the resurrected 'Doom and Gloom', neither of which would be considered top twenty, thirty or even forty by the majority of fans; they do, however, represent more recent Stones recordings.

More interestingly, where does the decision to include adjacent songs from Steel Wheels, arguably the most underwhelming and least known album in the Stones' catalogue, fit into the concept of playing only the hits?

This is what happened in Uruguay, with the crowd hearing 'Slipping Away' and 'Can't Be Seen'; the latter being a song so obscure that whoever produces the official setlist photographs for the band got the song's title wrong (see below).

Seeing a Stones show in 2016, especially somewhere 'they rarely go to', you'd feel pretty hard done by not to hear Richards perform at least one of:

- 'You Got The Silver'
- 'Happy'
- 'Before They Make Me Run'

Irix

[Twitter.com]

Olly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2016 02:06

Why 18 songs though... Midnight Rambler must be 20 minutes long. They're pulling a Zeppelin on that one!

Date: February 22, 2016 05:14

19 songs
Irix
Yeah, yeah, yeah - woo .... !!!

[Twitter.com]

[pbs.twimg.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home