Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 1, 2016 11:35

Mathijs
DonParker
True. And the track was never overdubbed. That's what fascinates me most. All the stories about guitar overdubs, acoustic guitars, these tracks just don't exist, unless someone can post it.

They do exist. There's half a dozen versions available in (a very limited) tape trader circle. The versions have various overdubs that all were wiped: acoustic guitars, two attempts at percussion, 3 takes with Henry Rollins etc.

But, on all versions the electric guitar remains the same, as do the piano, bass and drums.

Mathijs

I have from a very reliable source that the B-side of the new album will consist of all outtakes from Waiting On A Friend. But please, let's keep this between us all, they'd kill me if it would come out too soon.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 1, 2016 17:59

DonParker
Mathijs
DonParker
True. And the track was never overdubbed. That's what fascinates me most. All the stories about guitar overdubs, acoustic guitars, these tracks just don't exist, unless someone can post it.

They do exist. There's half a dozen versions available in (a very limited) tape trader circle. The versions have various overdubs that all were wiped: acoustic guitars, two attempts at percussion, 3 takes with Henry Rollins etc.

But, on all versions the electric guitar remains the same, as do the piano, bass and drums.

Mathijs

I have heard several WAOF boots, from several real hardcore collectors, no such tape ever popped up. An if these versions you mention do have overdubs that are wiped, how do we know they existed with acoustics in the first place? That's a funny contradiction to me.. But please go ahead, post them somewhere.

First -I hate it when people say 'I have a recording, and you don't, and I can't share it with you'. So, my apologies for doing just exactly this.

But there's a dozen or so tapes available with just about any track from 1977 to 1983 that Zentgraf mentions on his website. Quite some of it has been released over the last year, but there's still quite some unreleased. Check out his entry of November/December 1982: everything is available.

I have it, but I do not OWN it. The guys whom own it plan on releasing it, but to date this has not happened yet.

Anyways. On the WOAF outtakes you can hear several instrumental parts and vocals that have been overdubbed in 1981 that haven't been used on the final version. The acoustic guitar, some percussion, some extra vocals, 3 Henry Rollins tracks. The same with Slave by the way -there's a couple of versions with added sound effects, an added organ etc. that were later wiped for the final release.

Mathijs

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 1, 2016 18:13

"3 Henry Rollins tracks"

I'm sure you mean Sonny Rollins!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 1, 2016 18:25

grinning smiley

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: June 1, 2016 19:57

Mathijs
DonParker
Mathijs
DonParker

Mathijs

I have heard several WAOF boots, from several real hardcore collectors, no such tape ever popped up. An if these versions you mention do have overdubs that are wiped, how do we know they existed with acoustics in the first place? That's a funny contradiction to me.. But please go ahead, post them somewhere.

First -I hate it when people say 'I have a recording, and you don't, and I can't share it with you'. So, my apologies for doing just exactly this.

But there's a dozen or so tapes available with just about any track from 1977 to 1983 that Zentgraf mentions on his website. Quite some of it has been released over the last year, but there's still quite some unreleased. Check out his entry of November/December 1982: everything is available.

I have it, but I do not OWN it. The guys whom own it plan on releasing it, but to date this has not happened yet.

Anyways. On the WOAF outtakes you can hear several instrumental parts and vocals that have been overdubbed in 1981 that haven't been used on the final version. The acoustic guitar, some percussion, some extra vocals, 3 Henry Rollins tracks. The same with Slave by the way -there's a couple of versions with added sound effects, an added organ etc. that were later wiped for the final release.

Mathijs

No need to apologise smiling smiley

I contacted Nico a year ago about the subject who played the electric on WOAF and all he said was that he only relies on your expertise (WOAF), so the recordings he has (or writes about on his site) don't prove who played this precious track. Thanks for your extended reply anyway. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-01 20:57 by DonParker.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 1, 2018 18:02

I hear an acoustic guitar, buried, but it's there. It can't be an echo because the electric is playing a different rhythm. On the released version listen close at the 3 minute mark.,. you can hear the chime of a steel string acoustic guitar. It's audible at other parts as well.

It's more audible in this version:

Could this be Mick Taylor's alleged contribution, as it would be pretty hard for Richards to play two guitars at once on a basic tracking session, or could it be picked-up from Jagger's vocal mic while he strummed? Hard to say, but I find it strange Taylor said he played on it if he didn't.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:19

Nothing?

Date: December 1, 2018 21:59

--------Edit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 22:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:14

Mathijs
DonParker

Mathijs

Now, a version of WOAF featuring Henry Rollins would be something to
behold tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 1, 2018 22:34

MelBelli
Mathijs
DonParker

Mathijs

Now, a version of WOAF featuring Henry Rollins would be something to
behold tongue sticking out smiley

I was hoping for Laurel and Hardy actually.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:34

Or Sonny Terry...

Date: December 2, 2018 03:34

Hmm. It didn’t work? I’ll have to try again when I get home.

Date: December 2, 2018 07:58

TravelinMan

If you post both the "https" and "http"-links they will be visible on cell phones as well.

Date: December 2, 2018 14:05

edit.

Date: December 2, 2018 15:47

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

If you post both the "https" and "http"-links they will be visible on cell phones as well.

Thanks!

Date: December 2, 2018 15:50

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

I listened very close (again) to the links you provided. There's no acoustic guitar, you probably hear shades / the reverb from the electric guitar mixed with the piano.

I think it’s being picked up from the vocal mic or it’s very low in the mix. It’s there. It’s a different rhythm so it can’t be an echo. I’ll pull it into Pro Tools in a bit. It’s unmistakable on the Tattoo You version at 3:00.

Date: December 2, 2018 16:04

edit

Re: Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend (New)
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 2, 2018 16:49

Where will the IORR band Ben playing in The USA ?

Date: December 7, 2018 08:58

TravelinMan
I hear an acoustic guitar, buried, but it's there. It can't be an echo because the electric is playing a different rhythm. On the released version listen close at the 3 minute mark.,. you can hear the chime of a steel string acoustic guitar. It's audible at other parts as well.

It's more audible in this version:

Could this be Mick Taylor's alleged contribution, as it would be pretty hard for Richards to play two guitars at once on a basic tracking session, or could it be picked-up from Jagger's vocal mic while he strummed? Hard to say, but I find it strange Taylor said he played on it if he didn't.

It could be anybody; but I heard it today too. I was listening to some Place Pigalle boots, and there is an early version with Jagger singing in falsetto; he already has some of the words. But I hear an acoustic in there. It is hard to puck up because it is right with the Hi Hat; location wise, and rhythmically too. It is much like the acoustic in 'Dead Flowers'; kind of bouncy. What makes it even harder to pick up is that the main electric already sounds a good bit like an acoustic.
It's an interesting question if they kept it in there; because Keith likes those implied acoustics. It would make sense that they kept it, but around "Tattoo You" it seems they started seeing things a bit different. Their sound became cleaner in places.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 7, 2018 18:11

I remember way back MT did not know of the release of Tops and Waiting on a Friend and John Mayall mentioned something to him before the 1982 reunion tour with the bluesbreakers about song royalties

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2018 18:39

There definitely is acoustic guitar on WOAF, as said, right about 3 minutes in.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 24, 2021 17:00

Mathijs

Mathijs

Don't know if the tapes Mathijs is referring to are the Collins tapes that were recently made available on the Hot Stuff Section.

Anyways, at last I got the chance to listen to these by now mythological "acoustic" versions of Friend.

My questions are: how do we know that ALL these acoustic tracks were overdubbed in 81 and were not already there at the time the electric track was done?

And who plays on them?

Reason why I ask is that I think there is more than one player. Or one player who plays different strumming patterns. On one in particular Keith is quite recognizable. I guess none are played by Ronnie (his strumming on acoustic is quite distinctive).

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-24 17:01 by liddas.

Date: February 24, 2021 21:43

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

Don't know if the tapes Mathijs is referring to are the Collins tapes that were recently made available on the Hot Stuff Section.

Anyways, at last I got the chance to listen to these by now mythological "acoustic" versions of Friend.

My questions are: how do we know that ALL these acoustic tracks were overdubbed in 81 and were not already there at the time the electric track was done?

And who plays on them?

Reason why I ask is that I think there is more than one player. Or one player who plays different strumming patterns. On one in particular Keith is quite recognizable. I guess none are played by Ronnie (his strumming on acoustic is quite distinctive).

C

Good question....I'll need to hear it!

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 17, 2021 03:39

Has anyone heard the “lossless” version of tattoo you on Apple Music? It’s the first time I can actually hear the acoustic guitars on the released song.

I’m sure with the remastering and “Dolby Atmos” for the forthcoming reissue, it’ll be even more audible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-17 05:08 by CamRS.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 17, 2021 04:54

If you isolate the bass it sounds like it could be Taylor

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: October 17, 2021 14:51

Play it in tampa???

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home