Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:19

DandelionPowderman
Yaaaaaaaawn...

I don't know what's wrong with you, but I thought of these comparisons as a valid contribution – especially after you falsely commented that Keith didn't do the licks live.

If people don't listen, they might actually believe what you're saying.

I don't care who plays on WOAF. I thought for years that Jagger played the guitar, but eventually I concluded that some of the phrasings in there are nothing like I've heard him play before – a bit above his level.

I've never heard Taylor play the licks right before the chorus, either, but Ronnie (Yes, I know it was before his time) and Keith have played them a zillion times.

Are you mixing up the ALLEGED lawsuit about royalties that the Stones stopped paying Taylor – with him going to court over WOAF? You've been reading too much speculations on Hoffman's, surely..

Look, I know that you want attention, and I know that you enjoy being funny on other people's expense. But you really need to step up your game. This is lame smoking smiley

thumbs up

Well said.

Date: May 31, 2016 11:20

chatoyancy
Keith is more involved with this song than has been reported. This is how close Keith and Mick were and still are. Mick was covering for a very shy Keith when he said that he wrote the lyrics which he considered "very gentle and loving about friendships in the band." Actually Keith was the one who wrote the lyrics about "standing in the doorway waiting for a friend, someone to protect". I was there when Keith wrote it. We'd been standing in a doorway in NYC where I thanked him for protecting me from a violent situation involving a mutual friend, a drunken young guitarist. They filmed the video a block from my apartment. To me Tattoo You meant Thank You Too. It was exciting.

Wait a second...
I thought this song was about me?
"Waiting on Turner68" was the original title

Re: Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend (New)
Date: May 31, 2016 11:23

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
The official release sounds like Keith on guitar - and only Keith. If Taylor played on it it's not in the mix, just as it sounds on the bootlegs. Maybe Taylor played so much on it that it was messy and they kept it out.

Maybe he didn't play on it.

His demand to be paid for the LP version that he's not on was most likely dismissed since he was already paid for the original session. Once you're paid for recording you don't get paid for not being on the final version. Has he ever stated specifically what he did? I've not ever seen it.

Yeah yeah yeah there are tracks without Keith on them that are just Mick T and Mick T and Mick J on guitars. But there are other tracks without Mick T on them, like Happy and Tumbling Dice and Soul Survivor and Coming Down Again and It's Only Rock'N'Roll and Luxury.

Actually Taylor played bass on Coming Down Again and Tumbling Dice and played slide on Soul Survivor. Apparently Taylors suit was settled, not dismissed, a pretty good indication he indeed played on the released version. And the Stones don't get paid for their sessions, recording is on the expense side of the balance sheet. smoking smiley

And as Taylor got paid an equal share for all record sales when he was an equal member, it didn't matter one bit whether he was on all the tracks or not. Of course the writers got their publishing money but that is different. The fact that this was released on a record after Taylor was gone is the reason he demanded to get paid for it, and rightly so, imo. This coupled with the fact we have never heard Keith talking about his contribution to the track and that he has never really played it live exactly like the released version, the subtle hammers and licks that he often exploits on other tunes he played on, makes me think this one is all Taylor.

When a lawsuit is settled it says nothing about who was right or wrong.

Date: May 31, 2016 11:28

Stirring the pot, Turner? smoking smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 11:30

DandelionPowderman

Yes! It needs more elderberry wine, or frozen steak, or ... Horse meat... or something!

Date: May 31, 2016 11:36

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Yes! It needs more elderberry wine, or frozen steak, or ... Horse meat... or something!

At least you find proof of other guitarists being discussed here smiling smiley

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:44

That's about all I can contribute to this thread. Mick Taylor is the only Stone I haven't met. Besides Brian Jones and Ian Stewart. I think Keith's guitar is prominent in key points of the song for a reason.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 31, 2016 11:47

chatoyancy
Keith is more involved with this song than has been reported. This is how close Keith and Mick were and still are. Mick was covering for a very shy Keith when he said that he wrote the lyrics which he considered "very gentle and loving about friendships in the band." Actually Keith was the one who wrote the lyrics about "standing in the doorway waiting for a friend, someone to protect". I was there when Keith wrote it. We'd been standing in a doorway in NYC where I thanked him for protecting me from a violent situation involving a mutual friend, a drunken young guitarist. They filmed the video a block from my apartment. To me Tattoo You meant Thank You Too. It was exciting.

Did Keith cry to you, too, or merely protect you? Were you his dealer?

Date: May 31, 2016 12:15

No, I wasn't a dealer. I was a naïve young girl. I did meet Sessler & Sons. Fred declared "I've been in the cocaine business 15 years!" I thought that was incredibly unusual but what did I know, I was a naïve young girl.

I always thought "no virgin priest" was a continuation of the bit at the start of "Send It To Me" about religion. The young drunken guitarist I was with quoted the Bible wherever we went, annoying Stones. The resulting lyrics put down the violent young religious boy and ask the poor girl in the rich man's house to change her mind.

Adding to their aggravation, the young guitarist was in a band that was getting much more critical acclaim than the Stones were at the time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 12:32 by chatoyancy.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: May 31, 2016 13:03

chatoyancy
That's about all I can contribute to this thread. Mick Taylor is the only Stone I haven't met. Besides Brian Jones and Ian Stewart. I think Keith's guitar is prominent in key points of the song for a reason.

A pity Taylor is the only you haven't met, you could have asked him. Now we still know nothing. (Just to keep the thread running) cool smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 13:26

Mick Taylor is alive and well. Does he communicate at all on Facebook, Twitter?
Surely a Taylor fan can reach him and ask vital questions about the past?

Date: May 31, 2016 13:36

chatoyancy
Mick Taylor is alive and well. Does he communicate at all on Facebook, Twitter?
Surely a Taylor fan can reach him and ask vital questions about the past?

------

Date: May 31, 2016 13:41

He might not even know himself whether his take wound up on the final version (like with Brown Sugar and others).

Remember that this track was released 9 hazy years after those Jamaica sessions.

Like someone said, the studio owner or a roadie could have played it. Or Keith..

Date: May 31, 2016 13:48

True. And the track was never overdubbed. That's what fascinates me most. All the stories about guitar overdubs, acoustic guitars, these tracks just don't exist, unless someone can post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 13:49 by DonParker.

Date: May 31, 2016 13:50

DonParker
True. And the track was never overdubbed. That's what fascinates me most. All the stories about guitar overdubs, acoustic guitars, they just don't exist.

We don't know that. Someone could have overdubbed it in 1972. We don't know if what we've heard are the first backing tracks smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 14:04

True again. But that doesn't bring us any further. None of the Stones ever talked about it. Chris Kimsey is not allowed to talk about it, why not? He had the master tapes in his hands.

Date: May 31, 2016 14:10

DonParker
True again. But that doesn't bring us any further. None of the Stones ever talked about it. Chris Kimsey is not allowed to talk about it. He had the master tapes in his hands.

We can't ask Andy Johns either, who recorded it. Had Glyn recorded it, Taylor's alledged track surely would have been wiped smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 14:13

DandelionPowderman
DonParker
True again. But that doesn't bring us any further. None of the Stones ever talked about it. Chris Kimsey is not allowed to talk about it. He had the master tapes in his hands.

We can't ask Andy Johns either, who recorded it. Had Glyn recorded it, Taylor's alledged track surely would have been wiped smiling smiley

You deleted my "why not?". smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 14:21

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
DonParker

That's funny. Actually, I didn't delete anything smiling smiley

Who says he isn't allowed to talk about it, btw?

Date: May 31, 2016 14:31

DandelionPowderman
DonParker
DandelionPowderman
DonParker

That's funny. Actually, I didn't delete anything smiling smiley

Who says he isn't allowed to talk about it, btw?

Part of the job of course.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 31, 2016 17:12

DonParker
True. And the track was never overdubbed. That's what fascinates me most. All the stories about guitar overdubs, acoustic guitars, these tracks just don't exist, unless someone can post it.

They do exist. There's half a dozen versions available in (a very limited) tape trader circle. The versions have various overdubs that all were wiped: acoustic guitars, two attempts at percussion, 3 takes with Henry Rollins etc.

But, on all versions the electric guitar remains the same, as do the piano, bass and drums.

Mathijs

Date: May 31, 2016 17:35

Mathijs
DonParker

They do exist. There's half a dozen versions available in (a very limited) tape trader circle. The versions have various overdubs that all were wiped: acoustic guitars, two attempts at percussion, 3 takes with Henry Rollins etc.

But, on all versions the electric guitar remains the same, as do the piano, bass and drums.

Mathijs

I have heard several WAOF boots, from several real hardcore collectors, no such tape ever popped up. An if these versions you mention do have overdubs that are wiped, how do we know they existed with acoustics in the first place? That's a funny contradiction to me.. But please go ahead, post them somewhere.

Date: May 31, 2016 17:54

DonParker
Mathijs
DonParker

Mathijs

I have heard several WAOF boots, from several real hardcore collectors, no such tape ever popped up. An if these versions you mention do have overdubs that are wiped, how do we know they existed with acoustics in the first place? That's a funny contradiction to me.. But please go ahead, post them somewhere.

They won't be posted, as inner-circle traders intend to remain inner-circle traders.

However, we could always ask James Karnbach (VideoJames here on IORR), if he can shed some light on this. If anyone possesses these boots, he'd be the man, imo.

Date: May 31, 2016 18:15

DandelionPowderman
DonParker
Mathijs
DonParker

Mathijs

They won't be posted, as inner-circle traders intend to remain inner-circle traders.

However, we could always ask James Karnbach (VideoJames here on IORR), if he can shed some light on this. If anyone possesses these boots, he'd be the man, imo.

I'm aware of all that, but thanks, I already sent him a message, as I did to many others. The most common reaction is : "I don't know" or "ask Mick Taylor or Keith Richards". The latter is impossible. As for Mick Taylor I came very close. And even if there are tapes with acoustics on it, it could have been Keith. So all these acoustic guitar evidence stories are most likely made up, imho.

In a previous post you were referring to Brown Sugar, what wast the point?

Date: May 31, 2016 20:53

Taylor played on BS, as we know from the bootlegs. But his contribution is not audible on the studio version. They used a 8 track recorder, so unless he played the acoustic he's not on the track. Yet, people insist he is playing on the studio version.

Could be the same story for WOAF.

Date: May 31, 2016 21:41

I never payed attention to who played the acoustic on Brown Sugar.

Date: May 31, 2016 22:08

I did smoking smiley

Date: May 31, 2016 22:57

So anyway, back to the topic, is there anyone else because me and Chatoyancy who think "waiting on a friend" is about them?

Date: May 31, 2016 23:09

----

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 1, 2016 11:31

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Goat's heads?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home