Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 25, 2016 11:37

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Waiting On A Friend

Written by: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: April – June 1981

Recording location: Paris, Mobile Recording Unit in some unlocated warehouse (only MJ, ca. six weeks in April & May) & New York, Atlantic Studios.

Line-up:

Lead vocals: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Guitar: Mick Taylor (unsure)
Background vocals: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Sax: Sonny Rollins
Conga drums: Mike Carabello
Guiro: Mike Carabello
Claves: Mike Carabello
Cabasa: Mike Carabello

Waiting On A Friend

Oo-ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh, yeah yeah

Watching girls go passing by
It ain't the latest thing
I'm just standing in a doorway
I'm just trying to make some sense

Out of these girls go passing by
The tales they tell of men

I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

Mmm, a smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said

I'm not waiting on a lady

Just waiting on a friend
Just waiting on a friend

Mmm, don't need a whore, I don't need no booze
Don't need a virgin priestess
But I need someone I can cry to
I need someone to protect

Making love and breaking hearts
It is a game for youth

But I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend, huh

Producer: The Glimmer Twins
Sound engineers: Chris Kimsey

First released on: Tattoo You (LP)
Label: Rolling Stones Records (WEA/EMI)
U.S. Release date: August 18, 1981
U.K. Release date: August 28, 1981

Note: Info taken from TIOMS and NZentgraf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-01 10:44 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Waiting On A Friend (New)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:57

LOL, is it time for the yearly «who played THE ONLY guitar on WOAF again? winking smiley

A lovely track. It has always been a favourite. Look out for this one from the IORR Band soon, btw..

Date: January 25, 2016 12:23

grinning smiley Yes, I can only hear one electric guitar on Waof, no acoustic, and indeed, on ever version -boot I've heard, 4 or 5 versions that is, it's the same (copy) of that track. Differently edited though, soundwise.. As far as I can conclude it's never been overdubbed. Can anyone post a version with 2 guitars or an acoustic? So here pops up the question: who played this electric, and even more interesting to me: what's the source? Nice tune btw, Sonny Rollins is ace of course.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 25, 2016 13:19

Lovely is the word for it indeed, both musically and lyrically -
unexpectedly lovely, one can even say.

I've been lucky enough to hear it in concert twice, and it was lovely both times.

Date: January 25, 2016 13:22

DancelittleSister
grinning smiley Yes, I can only hear one electric guitar on Waof, no acoustic, and indeed, on ever version -boot I've heard, 4 or 5 versions that is, it's the same (copy) of that track. Differently edited though, soundwise.. As far as I can conclude it's never been overdubbed. Can anyone post a version with 2 guitars or an acoustic? So here pops up the question: who played this electric, and even more interesting to me: what's the source? Nice tune btw, Sonny Rollins is ace of course.

I've never heard a version with a clearly audible acoustic guitar, either. I thought I did at one point, but upon closer listens it was only echo smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 13:25

It's a great song. Great video too, one of their best from their "cheesy video" era.

Some people say that it's a veiled way of writing about homosexuality.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 25, 2016 13:27

A cathartic work of genius that mainlines straight to my soul and makes me feel soooooooooo good.

It starts out with that sad, gentle guitar riff, tinged with a little bit of hope.

And then Charlie, joining in at precisely the right moment, to give it some swing.

And then that shimmering piano from Nicky Hopkins, sparkling like sunlight on a summer lake.

And then Jagger’s incredible falsetto, so vulnerable and yearning, soaring into the ether like the voice of an angel.

And those lyrics, man … poetry of the highest order, capturing loneliness and yearning and heartache and what really matters in life: friendship and love and warmth and companionship, not sex and sex and sex and sex. (Or is the title merely what a junkie, waiting for his dealer, will say when questioned by the police??)

Sonny Rollins, of course, is the icing on the cake here, with his searing, heartbreakingly-beautiful sax work. Breathtaking and magnificent.
The production is impeccable, with just the right amount of dreamy echo to give the track a slightly otherworldly feel.

I remember unexpectedly hearing WOAF one day, wafting from a bakery while walking the streets of Paris, and it brought tears to my eyes. I realized how deeply I love the Rolling Stones, how much they matter to me and to the world.

Drew

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 25, 2016 14:07

drewmaster
A cathartic work of genius that mainlines straight to my soul and makes me feel soooooooooo good.

It starts out with that sad, gentle guitar riff, tinged with a little bit of hope.

And then Charlie, joining in at precisely the right moment, to give it some swing.

And then that shimmering piano from Nicky Hopkins, sparkling like sunlight on a summer lake.

And then Jagger’s incredible falsetto, so vulnerable and yearning, soaring into the ether like the voice of an angel.

And those lyrics, man … poetry of the highest order, capturing loneliness and yearning and heartache and what really matters in life: friendship and love and warmth and companionship, not sex and sex and sex and sex. (Or is the title merely what a junkie, waiting for his dealer, will say when questioned by the police??)

Sonny Rollins, of course, is the icing on the cake here, with his searing, heartbreakingly-beautiful sax work. Breathtaking and magnificent.
The production is impeccable, with just the right amount of dreamy echo to give the track a slightly otherworldly feel.

I remember unexpectedly hearing WOAF one day, wafting from a bakery while walking the streets of Paris, and it brought tears to my eyes. I realized how deeply I love the Rolling Stones, how much they matter to me and to the world.

Drew

Awww Drew, you just brought tears to my eyes, especially that last sentence, very true. A perfectly lovely way to describe that lovely song.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 25, 2016 14:48

Another one of those absolute perfect songs on Tattoo You.
One of their best songs ever and a perfect example of why the Stones are not just a rock band: they are a rock band with soul.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 25, 2016 15:15

One of my favourite songs and the best video ever....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 25, 2016 15:36

The video is cool, but without the moving pictures I always found WOAF very boring. It´s almost elevator music to be honest. Very unpleasing indeed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 25, 2016 16:59

Good one. Nice song to play. I like the guitar-job here...

This video is among the best ever made...together with Sinittas 'Toy boy' that is....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 25, 2016 17:00

Tops
One of my favourite songs and the best video ever....

Yes! thumbs up

Date: January 25, 2016 17:11

latebloomer

Awww Drew, you just brought tears to my eyes, especially that last sentence, very true. A perfectly lovely way to describe that lovely song.

Thanks latebloomer! Didn't mean to make you cry though ...winking smiley

Drew

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 25, 2016 17:27

The last of the great slow-mid tempo grooves...they don't write 'em like that anymore.
It was played relentlessly on the radio at the time of release, and can still be heard today on select classic rock stations.
Nice vocals, great guitar tones, the sax is great, and the piano exceptional which rolls the song along like a gentle wave.
CLASSIC indeed...still waiting on another 'friend' similar to this....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 25, 2016 17:54

Average at best -- very nice sax but the song overall doesn't do much for me. Never understood the love for it. Worried About You & Heaven are the standouts on side 2.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 25, 2016 18:00

Schamltzy, girlish and 80's slick production. 2 out of 10.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 25, 2016 18:37

It's always great to listen to this track, early stage recording 72 and in 81 the: "Electric Ladyland, Atlantic Studio in New-York".

Date: January 25, 2016 19:10

80s production, when it sounds like the outtake from the early 70s save the sax and the vocals (both are great)?

Nope.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 25, 2016 19:20

Seventies and Eighties input, both make this a great song

Date: January 25, 2016 19:32

Hairball
The last of the great slow-mid tempo grooves.

Hardly. What about ...

Slipping Away
Out of Tears
Thief in the Night
Laugh, I Nearly Died

... just to name a few?

Drew

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 25, 2016 19:32

As I have written before, probably in the album thread:
I am one, who likes TATTOO YOU even less than weaker DIRTY WORK. "Waiting on a Friend", however, is a gem good enough to be part of any other Stones album, provided that the song would have fitted in. Stylistically, maybe only GOATS HEAD SOUP is the one other album where it really could have featured on that condition.

My tabloid estimation of "Waiting on a Friend" is 10 (out of 10), possibly even 10*.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 19:39

I like the studio version as well as the live 81/82 versions.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 25, 2016 22:47

Recording of "Waiting on a Friend" (as 'Waiting for a Friend') began in late 1972 through early 1973 in Kingston, Jamaica, during the Goats Head Soup sessions when the band still had Mick Taylor as a member. His guitar piece made it to the overdubbing sessions in April 1981 when the song was selected by Tattoo You producer Chris Kimsey as one the band could re-work for the album.

In the liner notes to 1993's compilation album Jump Back, Mick Jagger said, "We all liked it at the time but it didn't have any lyrics, so there we were... The lyric I added is very gentle and loving, about friendships in the band." Jagger also had stated that the 1981 lyrics were contemplated for a future possible video, making the song the first Rolling Stones single to be packaged as a possible video for the emerging MTV channel.

The video, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg (who also directed their 1968 special The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus), became very popular on MTV. Matching the song's lyrics, Jagger is seen waiting for Keith Richards in the doorway of an apartment block. The building, at 96-98 St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, is notable for appearing on the cover of Led Zeppelin's 1975 album Physical Graffiti. The two then walk down the street and enter a bar and grill where the other three band members are already drinking. Jagger sings the song to Richards and the video concludes with the band setting up for a gig at the back of the bar, ignored by the other patrons

The lyrics see a more mature side of singer Jagger represented. He speaks of setting aside women and vices in favor of making some sense of his life and finding the virtues inherent in true friendship:

“ Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest/But I need someone I can cry to, I need someone to protect. ”
The song is noted for its dreamy qualities brought on by the soft guitars, smooth rhythm, and Jagger's lilting refrain of "doo-doo-doo"'s. Stones-recording veteran Nicky Hopkins performs the track's running piano.[1] The Stones hired jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins to perform the solo on this song.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 25, 2016 22:50

Previous post I copied from Wiki.

What are IORR's opinions on 'best' live version?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 25, 2016 23:06

drewmaster
latebloomer

Thanks latebloomer! Didn't mean to make you cry though ...winking smiley

Drew

Truth be told, probably had as much to do with snow shoveling exhaustion and a wicked head cold as your eloquent review, but then again I am a bit of a sentimental slob when it comes to the Stones. smiling smiley Still, I couldn't have said it better myself. It is a song I never get tired of hearing and the video is a sweet testament to the enduring bond between Keith and Mick.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 23:13

One of my favourites.thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 26, 2016 00:15

One of those mini masterpiece slow songs that pop up now and again - like Ruby Tuesday or Wild Horses - and really show off the wider spectrum of the Stones incredible songwriting prowess.

What is so beautiful about this song is its vulnerability, its openness and directness about simple friendship.

So many Stones songs are about carnal desire but this is a great feelgood song about hanging with a good companion. And bonus points to Mick for not making it gender specific - so that companion could be a girl..or a boy confidante. A really classy piece of songwriting.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 26, 2016 00:17

drewmaster

Drew

Well captured drew. I think you speak from most of us on here.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: January 26, 2016 00:19

Great song, and one of the (many) highlights of Tattoo you......

My missus who is no big Stones fan, absolutely loves it

What a drag it is gettin' old

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home