Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Some Girls Live In Texas '78
Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: August 14, 2018 05:13

Love this album. After Brussels Affair my favorite. Great energy and the band is "sloppily" tight.

Date: August 14, 2018 10:01

A warhorse now. Fantastic back then:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2018 10:16

That was excellent. thumbs up

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 14, 2018 11:04

Yes, it included a white T shirt with that woman in front of the shirt as on the metal box. Forgotten that item.
Greets, Luc,

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 14, 2018 11:43

I am very, very happy to FINALLY have a good working copy
of all 2:12 of Let It Rock.
I've gone to it so many times anyway; now it's much more clear and hits even harder.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: August 14, 2018 12:07

Fantastic album and a great livealbum with a superb setlist. It has a great rocknroll energy! I like Micks vocals and Ronnies sologuitar. ADTL is a great example.

The dvd is one of the ones I watch the most. The interactions in the band are great and I think that is the reason why it also sounds great and so rocknroll cool smiley

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:24

Mick is hypersexualized in this one, grabbing himself, appearing to talk to that teen in the white tube top in the front row, grabbing and slapping at Ronnie. It becomes a bit too much for me at times. That said, the performance is electric, especially Star Star and Lies.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 26, 2021 21:36

This show is fun to watch, and is equally good just listening to it. That's a sign of a great performance.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-26 21:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: September 23, 2022 13:06

This is such a great release. Just finished watching the bluray again. What an energy! I like the mid seventies shows as well, but together with El mocambo this must be my favorite seventies show. I like the 'back to basics' feel of it. Only rock n roll for 1 1/2 hours. The pace on some tracks is incredible (Jumping jack flash is insane, the last three minutes is one of the very best live Stones footage I have ever seen). Jagger in great shape, vocals a lot better than the talking / unclear mumbling on LA Forum. Really focussed (and probably coked up). Keith seems to have just started his third or fourth life, he looks really cool and sharp. He's back in business again. Setlist also great, not the warhorses circus present on the recent releases. Interaction with the small audience is also great, crowd seems really into it. The audio mix is terrific. Guitars on the right level and good separated (including Jagger's parts). It just doesn't get better than this.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: September 24, 2022 01:00

I absolutely love this show/release. Miss You is fantastic. Charlie and Bill really on top of it. I also really like Keith's solo and playing on Star Star.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 24, 2022 04:03

This band was better in 1975 and 1989

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 24, 2022 04:22

Taylor1
The band was different in 1975, 1978 and 1989. Which tour was better than another is just a matter of taste and personal preference. There's no objective way to measure it.

I personally like each of those tours, I couldn't chose one. But 1978 and especially this release is one of my favourite's. It's the last time IMHO the Stones had something youthful. In 1981 they tried to have the same rough style and attitude but it started to not be authentic anymore at their age. Then from 1989 on they behaved like a class act and that made them to the legendary stadium band they still are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-24 04:28 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Hansel1976 ()
Date: September 24, 2022 14:02

Seven new ones from SG,is that a record for most new songs whilst touring a new album?

Date: September 24, 2022 17:03

Hansel1976
Seven new ones from SG,is that a record for most new songs whilst touring a new album?

They played Lies as well on many shows.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 24, 2022 22:01

My only complaint with your comments is Shattered is a top ten Stones song!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 24, 2022 23:59

Taylor1

Uh, no. They were much tighter, more together at this particular concert in '78. Maybe some of the other shows weren't as good. They were more energetic than '89.My regret is they didn't do Midnight Rambler in '78. (Maybe they did it at another show on that tour). I love to hear their different versions as the band changes.

Date: September 25, 2022 01:25

24FPS
Taylor1

Uh, no. They were much tighter, more together at this particular concert in '78. Maybe some of the other shows weren't as good. They were more energetic than '89.My regret is they didn't do Midnight Rambler in '78. (Maybe they did it at another show on that tour). I love to hear their different versions as the band changes.
Thats your opinion. It’s wrong

Date: September 25, 2022 01:34

Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

It's all subjective. There's no objective way to measure the quality of tours. It's his opinion and is just valid as your opinions.

Opinions can't be right or wrong. That's why they are opinions and not facts.

Date: September 25, 2022 01:38

StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

It's all subjective. There's no objective way to measure the quality of tours. It's his opinion and is just valid as your opinions.

You are 100 percent right.He never says this ishis opinion. It’s always like he is stating facts.He started off by stating condescendly “Uh,no”, not IMO.Why don’t you say my opinion is just as valid as his.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-25 01:40 by Taylor1.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2022 07:25

Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

You are 100 percent right.He never says this ishis opinion. It’s always like he is stating facts.He started off by stating condescendly “Uh,no”, not IMO.Why don’t you say my opinion is just as valid as his.

Opinions can be wrong, especially when they aren't based in reality ie facts.

That's been proven in the United States since 2016.

The Rolling Stones were better in 1978 than 1975 and 1989 for being a tight rip roaring rock'n'roll tearing band. It doesn't require Neil deGrasse Tyson to figure that out.

Date: September 25, 2022 12:38

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

The Rolling Stones were better in 1978 than 1975 and 1989 for being a tight rip roaring rock'n'roll tearing band. It doesn't require Neil deGrasse Tyson to figure that out.
Thats your opinion. It is not a fact. Go listen to Satisfaction or JJFlash on Flashpoint or If You Can’t Rock Me / Get Off My Cloud, 1975 . And by the way, are you American? Because can you state your opinion of the American peoples opinions of their lives today since you brought it up

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 25, 2022 13:45

Lol, love coming to this forum to see tetchy old men bickering about which 50 year old tour is best.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: September 25, 2022 17:59

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Thats your opinion. It is not a fact. Go listen to Satisfaction or JJFlash on Flashpoint or If You Can’t Rock Me / Get Off My Cloud, 1975 . And by the way, are you American? Because can you state your opinion of the American peoples opinions of their lives today since you brought it up

Must say I agree with 24FPS. Band in 75 was sloppy, Keith in not so good condition (to put it mildly), too much bells and whistles (stage, Billy Preston act, the horn section too much up front, and Jagger's way of 'singing'. One postive exception: Ronnie's playing. Nevertheless I like watching these shows from the mid seventies, a lot going on on stage!
I prefer the 78 shows musically. On Some Girls Live in Texas, I see a revived (and really cool looking) Keith, a stripped down band going back to basics, Jagger singing is focused again, and I just like the setlist I guess. All in all a tighter band, more focused and back to their roots in some way.

Date: September 25, 2022 18:08

jackflash27
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Must say I agree with 24FPS. Band in 75 was sloppy, Keith in not so good condition (to put it mildly), too much bells and whistles (stage, Billy Preston act, the horn section too much up front, and Jagger's way of 'singing'. One postive exception: Ronnie's playing. Nevertheless I like watching these shows from the mid seventies, a lot going on on stage!
I prefer the 78 shows musically. On Some Girls Live in Texas, I see a revived (and really cool looking) Keith, a stripped down band going back to basics, Jagger singing is focused again, and I just like the setlist I guess. All in all a tighter band, more focused and back to their roots in some way.

A certain amount of "sloppiness" is what the Stones groove is about. If you're looking for a tight band then there are bands like Steely Dan.

I love the Stones for their "sloppiness" and the 75 tour is a good example for a band that isn't tight at all but super groovy.

As for Mick I agree, he definitely was the week link of the 75 tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2022 18:32

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Why on Earth would I listen to Satisfaction or JJF from FLASHPOINT? They're horrendous. Same with that LOVE YOU LIVE track.

Date: September 25, 2022 21:17

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Why on Earth would I listen to Satisfaction or JJF from FLASHPOINT? They're horrendous. Same with that LOVE YOU LIVE track.
I have terrible taste , I guess.Shea Stadium 1989 was my first Stones concert and it blew me away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-25 21:19 by Taylor1.

Date: September 25, 2022 22:06

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

I have terrible taste , I guess.Shea Stadium 1989 was my first Stones concert and it blew me away

Well everybody has a different taste. GasLightStreet, I guess you have to accept that. In fact I like the so called "Vegas-Stones" better than the young Stones when it comes to their live tours.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 26, 2022 07:18

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
StonedRambler
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

As well it should have. They probably had nights where they were showing their age. I saw their opening night in '89. They were creaky and got blown off the stage by the opening act, Guns and Roses. Saw them do the final show in L.A. four nights later and they were magic.

Date: September 26, 2022 10:49

<They probably had nights where they were showing their age>

Keith was 45 and Mick was 46...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home