Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 1, 2018 22:51

Palace Revolution 2000
Redhotcarpet
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-type-of-electric-guitar-did-bowie-use-on-diamond-dogs.386025/

But it wasn't all doom and degradation; Diamond Dogs contains three great pop tunes: 'Rebel Rebel', for example, has become a legendary rock track. Alan Parker, who had been called in for the album, remembers working with Bowie on the brilliant riff:

'He's very quick, David. He'd say, "Yeah I like that particular approach", and he'd throw in a couple of thoughts or ideas. On "Rebel Rebel", he had the riff about 75% sorted out. He wanted it a bit like a Stones riff, and he played it to me as such, and I then tinkered around with it. I said, "Well, what if we did this and that and made it sound more clangy and put some bends in it?", and he said, "Yeah, I love that, that's fine"'. I can tell you exactly what I used, it was an old Les Paul standard, a black one, and it was an old Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker in them.'

Bowie remembers 'Alan's additions to the 'Rebel Rebel' riff were the three descending notes, A flat, D and E at the end of each riff. That gave it its nice continuity.'

That makes sense.Bowie himself only sings the riff w/o those very 3 notes.
I agree with RedHot that the riff is not like a Stones riff. It is Ersatz Stones. What others come up with when they want to write Stones. Like Elton and "Saturday Nights Alright". Closest the Stones themselves ever came up with a riff of that type is "Im Goin Down".
spot on

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 1, 2018 23:51

Listened up through Station To Station so far and this is great. Really fun vibe from Bowie and cool to hear all the between song chatter. What a frontman. Always scores on his own terms.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2018 02:18

RollingFreak
Listened up through Station To Station so far and this is great. Really fun vibe from Bowie and cool to hear all the between song chatter. What a frontman. Always scores on his own terms.

hope you got the package with the dvd! smiling smiley

Date: December 2, 2018 09:13

crholmstrom
RollingFreak

hope you got the package with the dvd! smiling smiley

I did but only had time to listen to the first hour or so audio wise today. Gonna have to find a chunk of time during this holiday season to watch the whole show.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 2, 2018 13:26

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
The new Glastonbury 2000 release is amazing. The master at the height of his powers. Get the version with the dvd!

Just picked it up, about to listen soon.

tomcasagranda
It's amazing how comfortable Bowie is, or was, with his back catalogue at this time. It's a bit of contrast from the live material on the Loving The Alien box set

I actually don't think he was. I mean probably a bit moreso than in the 90s, but I think he did it here out of necessity and not choice. That hours album did not sell (unfortunately, because I think its great) and then the short promo tour he did (I'm not sure if he planned a full one that just got cancelled) focused on a lot of older material to compensate. Sad, because its actually one of the rare later albums I actually like from him, but I can't complain with then getting an older more mature Bowie just playing the classics. Thats amazing too. But yeah, I don't know if he was ever really comfortable with his back catalogue, maybe besides on the Reality tour where he did truly seem to find a balance and appreciation for all of his old stuff. So sad, what could have followed if we had more tours like the Reality one. I think that diary entry is evidence of that. He'd finally found guys he LOVES playing with and that KNOW his music. Its not just a gig to them, they are there for him. Its sad he didn't have more tours with that lineup.

Toru A
From his diary.
Another thing that I had forgotten is that I need a band.
One great disadvantage of being a solo artist is that because I tour fairly infrequently and often only for a couple of weeks, stopping just before it gets boring.
I have no immediate body of stout hearted fellows, proud and true, who know my songs inside out without the necessity of actually having to learn them.

But this Glastonbury performance seems like one of the extremely rare times he's exclusively looking back. I feel you can even tell from his look at the time this is a weird transition mode for him.

I always think that he was looking back when he did the final Ziggy concert in 1973. He had to ditch the character to move forward, and maintain the momentum in that forward motion.

Posted by: MrStoned ()
Date: December 2, 2018 19:42

I have just listen to the David Bowie concert from Freilichtbühne Loreley, St. Goarshausen, Germany. More wellknown as Live At Rockpalast 1996. A really great album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-02 19:42 by MrStoned.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 9, 2018 03:48

Bowie Glastonbury 2000 is M A G N I F I C E N T !
.....what a tremendous loss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-09 03:49 by Rip This.

Date: December 9, 2018 04:57

Rip This
Bowie Glastonbury 2000 is M A G N I F I C E N T !
.....what a tremendous loss.

It's a great set. I really loved the era right before with Reeves Gabrels on guitar but no complaints about this. Did a good job of showing the true scope of Bowie's artistry. We'll not see the likes of him again, methinks.

Date: December 9, 2018 17:16

Wild is the wind opening is stunning..... gets better from there. Earl Slick was masterful, Garson, Dorsey so underrated maybe rocks best bassist right now

Date: December 9, 2018 19:29

Rip This
Wild is the wind opening is stunning..... gets better from there. Earl Slick was masterful, Garson, Dorsey so underrated maybe rocks best bassist right now

Gail Anne can sing, too!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 10, 2018 02:25

I don't know if this was posted before, but "Starman" plays on a new TV ad:

Bleu de Chanel Parfum

Date: December 10, 2018 02:32

crholmstrom
Rip This

Gail Anne can sing, too!
She's always been excellent on Under Pressure.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: December 11, 2018 16:31

That's what I call a great release!

I just listened to the CDs - perfect audio mix spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

and what a great bunch of musicians he played with for several years!
I had the pleasure to see him 3 times and I'm absolutely looking forward to A Bowie Celebration in January hot smiley

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 11, 2018 16:53

I wish they would release the double Serious Moonlight concert CD on its own. Its part of the Loving the Alein set but I have no desire to get that whole box set:
[en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 11, 2018 19:10

FrogSugar
I wish they would release the double Serious Moonlight concert CD on its own. Its part of the Loving the Alein set but I have no desire to get that whole box set:
[en.wikipedia.org])

So far, all of the live shows from the box sets have come out standalone a year after the box set came out. Not on CD I don't think, but on iTunes and vinyl definitely.

Date: December 12, 2018 14:52

bernard90mike

I just listened to the CDs - perfect audio mix spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I had the pleasure to see him 3 times and I'm absolutely looking forward to A Bowie Celebration in January hot smiley

I haven't even gotten to the audio CD's......just watched the DVD and blown away....blown away.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 15:53

Rip This
bernard90mike

I haven't even gotten to the audio CD's......just watched the DVD and blown away....blown away.

The audio mix is great.
But on the bootlegs the audio was already great. It comes from the BBC, they always have great audio sound.
There is a little bit difference between the bootlegs en the official cd, but not much. I compared them.
Because i don't understand how you can remaster the BBC tapes.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 27, 2018 16:33

Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 - What a massive concert from start to finish! I think it must be the mix of the perfect (and varied) set list and the excellence of the musicians that make the whole concert superlatively great.. Or maybe that's just the magic of Bowie... The encore songs have Bowie at his best.

Date: December 27, 2018 16:43

kowalski
Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 - What a massive concert from start to finish! I think it must be the mix of the perfect (and varied) set list and the excellence of the musicians that make the whole concert superlatively great.. Or maybe that's just the magic of Bowie... The encore songs have Bowie at his best.

I wish Reeves Gabrels had still been in the band at that point. That's not putting Earl Slick down at all. He's a fine guitar player. Reeves is exceptional though. I really love that 12 years he played with Bowie. They were totally pushing the envelope & those albums sound better & better as time goes on.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 27, 2018 16:50

crholmstrom
kowalski

I wish Reeves Gabrels had still been in the band at that point. That's not putting Earl Slick down at all. He's a fine guitar player. Reeves is exceptional though. I really love that 12 years he played with Bowie. They were totally pushing the envelope & those albums sound better & better as time goes on.

Yes......Reeves is brilliant, and Tin Machine were quite underrated ! I loved the first Tin Machine album when it came out. So much better than Never Let Me Down.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 27, 2018 16:54

crholmstrom, I'm a big fan of Reeves Gabrels work with Bowie, but I reckon Earl Slick is doing great on classic songs. Feels like the right balance.

Date: December 27, 2018 18:35

kowalski
crholmstrom, I'm a big fan of Reeves Gabrels work with Bowie, but I reckon Earl Slick is doing great on classic songs. Feels like the right balance.

can't wait for the new Cure record. 1st full album with Reeves.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 27, 2018 19:26

just ordered the cd/dcd at the Library. seems like i have to wait till 2020 for it, to come my way.
Ha, i will be with The Stones in south America at that time.

Jeroen

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 9, 2019 03:03

I downloaded this app on his birthday. Very interesting.

[www.theguardian.com]

[itunes.apple.com]

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 9, 2019 03:52

Toru A
I downloaded this app on his birthday. Very interesting.

[www.theguardian.com]

[itunes.apple.com]

BV just posted a topic on click bate. I guess you didn't see it

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home