Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:26

Manofwealthandtaste
As if further proof were needed of the man's artistry........

[www.standard.co.uk]

I saw that earlier... Pretty cool.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: January 1, 2017 14:08

Documentary David Bowie: The Last Five Years will be shown on BBC2 on Saturday 7 January at 21:00.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 1, 2017 16:15

French/german public broadcaster arte shows:

David Bowie - Die letzten Jahre: Friday, 13-Jan-2017, 21:45 [www.arte.tv]

David Bowie - Reality Tour Dublin: Friday, 13-Jan-2017, 23:15 [www.arte.tv]

David Bowie - Ses dernières années: Vendredi, 13-Jan-2017, 22:25 [www.arte.tv]

More of David Bowie in german/austrian TV:

Abgedreht!: [www.arte.tv]

David Bowie, der Weg zur Legende: [www.tvtv.de]

David Bowie – Cracked Actor: [www.tvtv.de]

Vinyl – David Bowie: [www.tvtv.de]

Rockpalast: David Bowie (Loreley 1996): [www.tvtv.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-01 16:25 by Irix.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 2, 2017 06:10

Olly
Documentary David Bowie: The Last Five Years will be shown on BBC2 on Saturday 7 January at 21:00.

[www.bbc.co.uk]
Huh, I totally missed that. I saw it going through my TV guide the other day, specifically saw the "LAST Five Years" part then read the description and was convinced it was that Five Years thing from a few years ago that focused on five different albums from the 70s and 80s. Gonna have to seek that out now, cause while I didn't love the last two records, I loved the fact that he was finally back and would love to see an in depth thing about (what unfortunately became) his final years. Just the story of him coming back to making a record after so long is totally fascinating to me even if the results didn't "wow" me.

EDIT: @#$%&, guess I was right, and wrong. It IS the Five Years thing from a few years ago. I read or remember it wrong as its called "5 Years in the Making of an Icon", so I clicked on it cause I thought it was something different. Guess I never read about something called The Last Five Years in the US. But that sounds really interesting, hope it makes it here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-02 06:14 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 5, 2017 12:10

Kyoto - Bowie loved.

[features.japantimes.co.jp]

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 6, 2017 17:38

Olly

[www.bbc.co.uk]

David Bowie: The Last Five Years previewed

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 21:24

One Year without David sad smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2017 01:32

The Stars Look Very Different Today

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 11, 2017 01:51

Date: January 11, 2017 02:21

The David Bowie Tribute Show is playing two nights here in SoCal later this month. The first night Sting is leading the show. The second night Bernard Fowler is one of many stars appearing. FYI.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 11, 2017 07:12

I'm not able to go to the L.A. concert on Jan. 25 because of a schedule conflict but I was really pleased to see them add a show on Jan. 24. I've got a ticket for that one now.
I read somewhere that Sting was only going to sing one song. The core band is DB's last touring band and there will be different guest musicians in each city on the tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 07:17 by likecats.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 11, 2017 07:27

Sadly missed and what a gift he was to us.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 15:51

I found it on Youtube and started watching, looks amazing. I had to pause it and went back to it yesterday and it was taken down! Couldn't find it on youtube:-(

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 11, 2017 16:42

I enjoyed very much David Bowie - The Last 5 Years on BBC2 with Berlin images!
I just got back from Berlin myself.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 11, 2017 18:12

'Rebel, Rebel' honor 2016 to Bowie a must-see
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2017 21:42

Rick Wakeman’s Tribute To David Bowie – Space Oddity

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 22:00

Cristiano Radtke
Rick Wakeman’s Tribute To David Bowie – Space Oddity

[www.bbc.co.uk]

thumbs up

Date: January 12, 2017 00:55

The 5 Years doc on Bowie is fantastic; saw it a few times here.
I just recently started really listening to the 5 late era albums that I always had, and never really delved into. Man, was I missing out.

Hours
Heathen
Earthling
Outside
Reality

not sure on sequence. "Reality' - great album. The only drop in there was the "Buddha in Suburbia' thing, which came out I think in the middle of all those.

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: January 12, 2017 11:48

1993 : Black Tie White Noise
1993 : The Buddha of Suburbia
1995 : 1. Outside
1997 : Earthling
1999 : 'hours...'
2002 : Heathen
2003 : Reality
2013 : The Next Day
2016 : Blackstar

IMO, Hours and Reality are awful.

If there are good things on Heathen or Blackstar, Earthling is the last interesting album of Bowie.

Black tie white noise and The Buddha of Suburbia contain excellent things.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 12, 2017 12:25

I was captivated by "The Last Five Years" and I thought it was a worthy update to the original "Five Years" doc from a couple of years ago.

Still on BBC iPlayer for those of you who have a way to access this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b088ktm6/david-bowie-the-last-five-years

(as is "The Man Who Fell To Earth": http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00781cy/the-man-who-fell-to-earth)

The Lazarus section was interesting as I managed to catch the musical in London at the end of Dec. The production and music were great although I struggled with the plot to be honest,

From the latter day Bowie, Heathen, Reality, The Next Day and Blackstar are the albums I play most often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-12 12:26 by JumpinJimF.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 12, 2017 18:28

I've never understood why people don't like Hours. I'm not a big late era Bowie fan (sorry, you just don't get better than that pre-1975 run), but I LOVE Hours. And here's how stupid it is: I bought it because it had a cool hologram cover. I'm a sucker for that and I hadn't bought a Bowie album in awhile so I tried it out. And I loved it! Thursday's Child is an excellent single song. Seven is a beautiful track. The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell rocks! Something In The Air, If I'm Dreaming My Life, What's Really Happening, Survive. All really good catchy songs. I really don't know what people want from that album that it doesn't have. Is it cause its his most straight ahead release in forever? Cause thats really what it is.

Don't judge people, I've just totally never understood that. I've listened to his other latter era albums and IMO none hold a candle to that one. People rave about Heathen and Reality. Eh... I think they're ok, but I don't see why people love them. His 90s ones have never been for me, but I'm fine that he did them. There's some good stuff to come out of them. I never understood why Hours is the only one that got caught in this "jesus, what a stinking pile of crap" when he did a LOT of just god awful terrible albums yet they are praised as decent nowadays. It kills me that he died and I'll never quite know whether he liked Hours or everyone just hated it so much he decided to join the pile on. Its a really good album.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: January 12, 2017 19:25

RollingFreak
I've never understood why people don't like Hours. I'm not a big late era Bowie fan (sorry, you just don't get better than that pre-1975 run), but I LOVE Hours. And here's how stupid it is: I bought it because it had a cool hologram cover. I'm a sucker for that and I hadn't bought a Bowie album in awhile so I tried it out. And I loved it! Thursday's Child is an excellent single song. Seven is a beautiful track. The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell rocks! Something In The Air, If I'm Dreaming My Life, What's Really Happening, Survive. All really good catchy songs. I really don't know what people want from that album that it doesn't have. Is it cause its his most straight ahead release in forever? Cause thats really what it is.

Don't judge people, I've just totally never understood that. I've listened to his other latter era albums and IMO none hold a candle to that one. People rave about Heathen and Reality. Eh... I think they're ok, but I don't see why people love them. His 90s ones have never been for me, but I'm fine that he did them. There's some good stuff to come out of them. I never understood why Hours is the only one that got caught in this "jesus, what a stinking pile of crap" when he did a LOT of just god awful terrible albums yet they are praised as decent nowadays. It kills me that he died and I'll never quite know whether he liked Hours or everyone just hated it so much he decided to join the pile on. Its a really good album.

You're right about Hours, some great tracks. IMO Tonight and Never Let Me Down were the low points and things got slowly better. Hours-->Blackstar is a pretty good run. Mind you the Space Oddity --> Scary Monsters run is better smiling smiley

Date: January 12, 2017 20:02

And I was wrong about 'Buddha of suburbia"- good album.
I like late era Bowie a lot now. It went up, up. He dipped seriously with Never let me Down and Tonight; and I did not like "Lets Dance" at all. The 3 hits..but rest of album was lousy. Tin Machine was not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. especially the 2nd album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 15, 2017 15:20

A charming article: [www.gq.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2017 16:04

still gutted over his passing.

found this blurb on Rolling Stone with regards to Rebel Rebel
"Bowie and Keith Richards got to know each other during the Diamond Dogs sessions, and the sleek, jangly riff is unmistakably Keith. "It's a fabulous riff," Bowie said later. "When I stumbled onto it, it was 'Oh, thank you!'"

is Rebel Rebel a Keith riff?...I didn't know they were buds.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: January 15, 2017 22:14

Just seen Donny mcCaslin (his band played on Bowles Blackstar album). It was a great concert in a very small venue inDelaware

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 15, 2017 23:45

I've always thought Hours a very underrated album. It's melancholy and the cover is an absolutely explicit summary of it - no more attempts to be down with the kids as per Earthling, (which I love), but the reflective melancholia of a man entering his fifties. Every album from this point onwards took a good look at death, culminating of course with Blackstar.

I think Let's Dance through to Never Let Me Down were the career low points but even they are all about 50% decent. Some absolute gems even - Time Will Crawl is an outstanding track.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 16, 2017 00:30

RollingFreak

Tonight and Never Let Me Down are bad records (Throw in Tin Machine and you've got a pretty crappy run). Hours is kind of the equivalent to u2's All That You Can't Leave Behind -- a record trying to capture an earlier sound and vibe -- say Hunky Dory through Heroes. The problem with each is that you feel a bit -- been there done that already.

Reality, on the other hand, feels more like Scary Monsters and Lodger to me, neither of which were "traditional" Bowie in their own right. I didn't buy any of these when they came out. The last one for me was Earthling, but I like them both now.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 16, 2017 01:13

Rip This
is Rebel Rebel a Keith riff?...I didn't know they were buds.

It was played by Alan Parker. I don't know whose idea it was, though.smiling smiley

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 16, 2017 06:53

Palace Revolution 2000
The 5 Years doc on Bowie is fantastic; saw it a few times here.
I just recently started really listening to the 5 late era albums that I always had, and never really delved into. Man, was I missing out.

Hours
Heathen
Earthling
Outside
Reality

not sure on sequence. "Reality' - great album. The only drop in there was the "Buddha in Suburbia' thing, which came out I think in the middle of all those.

Dead Against It is easily one of my favorite songs and Strangers When We Meet is far superior to the Outside version. But it was a low budget BBC soundtrack hence the odd feel and pacing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home