Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: January 17, 2016 15:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 07:26 by Plink.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 17, 2016 16:35

The Boss pays tribute.

[m.youtube.com]

Jagger and McCartney 'to play David Bowie memorial concert in New York
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:55

Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney 'to play David Bowie memorial concert in New York'
16:29, 13 JAN 2016 UPDATED 17:26, 13 JAN 2016
BY ALISTAIR MCGEORGE
The two legendary musicians are expected to lead the way at The Music of David Bowie at Carnegie Hall in March

Mick Jagger and David Bowie, with Paul McCartney on left, performing on stage at The Prince's Trust 10th Birthday Party at Wembley Arena, London, United Kingdom on 20th June 1986

David Bowie will be honoured with a tribute concert in New York later this year, with some legendary musicians set to take to the stage.

Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Mick Jagger - pictured above with the iconic performer in 1986 at the Prince's Trust 10th Birthday Party - are amongst those expected to remember the star.

The event - named The Music of David Bowie - was already set to take place at Carnegie Hall before the singer died on Monday, but following his passing, the 31st March event will now be a memorial show.

According to the Daily Star, The Beatles and Rolling Stones legends are expected to join the likes of Sir Elton John as part of the line-up.

Meanwhile, a statement on the event's website reads: "The unexpected death of David Bowie has turned this tribute, which we have worked on for the past 7 months, into a memorial concert...

"This year's concert will certainly be remembered as a poignant celebration of his music by his friends, peers, and fans.

"We are deeply saddened by the news. The timing of our public on-sale date is bizarre in its timing and the show is taking on many more emotions. RIP David and may God's love be with you."

A message from his official account read: "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.

"While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."

He passed away just three days after releasing his 25th studio album, keeping his 18-month battle with cancer so private that even close friends weren't aware of his struggle.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 17:55 by exilestones.

Re: Jagger and McCartney 'to play David Bowie memorial concert in New York
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:59

[www.examiner.com]

McCartney spokesman dismisses rumor that Beatle may sing at Bowie tribute

A Paul McCartney spokesman told Beatles Examiner Jan. 13 that published reports that Paul McCartney might be among the performers at an upcoming New York City concert to honor David Bowie are just “tabloid speculation.” The sold out March 31 concert at Carnegie Hall “The Music of David Bowie” that was initially to be a tribute to the singer became a memorial after he died Jan.10. Rumors that Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger would perform were reported by a British newspaper.

“The Music of David Bowie,” to take place in Carnegie's Stern Hall, is the 12th annual tribute at Carnegie Hall being presented by Michael Dorf and City Winery. The program was announced to feature 20 artists each performing songs by David Bowie. Those confirmed for the show are Cyndi Lauper, Jakob Dylan, Bettye LaVette, Perry Farrell, Robin Hitchcock, The Roots, The Mountain Goats, Ann Wilson of Heart and Bowie's longtime producer Tony Visconti, who will lead the house band. The concert is a benefit for several music education programs serving underprivileged youth.

Promoter Michael Dorf told Pollstar that all the tickets for the concert sold out in two hours and there are absolutely none left. “It’s all kind of a very bittersweet success in the sense that it’s now a tribute to someone who’s passed versus a tribute to someone who was probably going to be in attendance.” He said Bowie was aware of the show before his death.

Organizers released a statement about the changes in the show. “The unexpected death of David Bowie has turned this tribute, which we have worked on for the past seven months, into a memorial concert,” the statement begins. “While the series has featured surprise appearances and performances of honorees several times in the past, this year's concert will certainly be remembered as a poignant celebration of his music by his friends, peers and fans. We are all deeply saddened by the news. The timing of our public on-sale date is bizarre in its timing and the show is taking on many more emotions. RIP David, and may God's love be with you.”

-------------------

If rumors are to be believed, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney are among those who will perform at a previously scheduled tribute event that has turned into a memorial for David Bowie. The concert, dubbed The Music of David Bowie, was set to take place on March 31 at Carnegie Hall. Then Bowie died on Sunday (Jan. 10) after an 18-month battle with cancer.
1/14 UPDATE: A spokesperson for Paul McCartney has labeled reports of McCartney’s participation “tabloid speculation.” Mick Jagger has yet to comment on the possibility of his involvement as of this posting.
“The unexpected death of David Bowie has turned this tribute, which we have worked on for the past seven months, into a memorial concert,” organizers say, via the Music of David Bowie official web site. “This year’s concert will certainly be remembered as a poignant celebration of his music by his friends, peers and fans.”
Bowie made his debut at Carnegie Hall in September 1972, in one of the first stops on his initial U.S. tour with the Spiders from Mars. Bowie had just released Blackstar, his 25th studio album, on the Friday before his death. The cancer prognosis was kept so private that members of the band who worked on the project say they didn’t know.
Elton John, Ann Wilson of Heart, Bob Dylan‘s son Jakob and Perry Farrell of Jane’s Addiction are also among who are expected to perform at the instantly sold-out March memorial show. “It’s all kind of a very bittersweet success in the sense that it’s now a tribute to someone who’s passed,” presenter Michael Dorf tells Pollstar, “versus a tribute to someone who was probably going to be in attendance.”

Read More: Rumor: Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney Join Lineup at David Bowie Memorial Concert | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 18:03 by exilestones.

Bowie memorial concert?
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 15, 2016 21:47

check this out..

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:40

One never knows who may show up for these things/sings, but the New York Times reported yesterday who was scheduled for the show(s). Sirs Paul and Mick are not mentioned. Thinking of performers who make the "so and so tribute" shows, I wonder if Bruce will make it.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 16, 2016 06:31

dmay
One never knows who may show up for these things/sings, but the New York Times reported yesterday who was scheduled for the show(s). Sirs Paul and Mick are not mentioned. Thinking of performers who make the "so and so tribute" shows, I wonder if Bruce will make it.

I doubt it. Bruce didn't really have much of a connection with Bowie and he doesn't seem to go for these "all-star" tributes. Maybe David Byrne, Phillip Glass, Patti Smith or even Yoko Ono? Even Iggy Pop. But Bruce, Bono, Mick or Paul is not likely.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 12:03 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:39

TornAndFried
dmay

I doubt it. Bruce didn't really have any connection with Bowie...

From Backstreets.com:

DAVID BOWIE, 1947-2016
In the midst of sad news regarding the death of Rock and Roll Hall of Famer David Bowie, it's worth remembering his significant and longstanding E Street connections. Bowie was the first artist ever to cover a Springsteen composition, recording a version of "Growin' Up" (with Ronnie Wood on lead guitar) in 1973 during the sessions for his album Diamond Dogs. It remained unreleased, however, until the 1990 reissue of his all-covers album Pin Ups.

Bowie recorded "Growin' Up" nine months after seeing his first Springsteen concert at New York's legendary club Max's Kansas City on February 5, 1973. In some of his mid-1980s interviews, Bowie recalled seeing Springsteen and the E Street Band perform that evening; as he said on WNEW in 1986: "I thought it was another Dylan copyist, when he came on and started his acoustic set. Then the band came on, and I think it was probably the best rock band I've ever seen in my life, for about a half an hour.... I went out and bought his album, Asbury Park, and I thought, this is a great songwriter."

In late November 1974, one year after recording "Growin' Up," Bowie was busy at Philadelphia's famous Sigma Sound Studios working on various tracks for what would become his Young Americans album, including a version of Springsteen's "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City" featuring Roy Bittan on piano. (Bittan later would work with Bowie on several more recordings.)

As the recording session approached midnight, legendary Philly radio personality Ed Sciaky, his wife Judy and their friend Bruce Springsteen arrived at Sigma Sound as invited guests of producer Tony Visconti. Despite Bowie already having seen Springsteen in concert, this was the first time the musicians had a face-to-face meeting.

Brucebase has extensive archived materials documenting this in-studio meeting, including more photos and a reprint of an article that appeared in the now-defunct Philly independent newspaper The Drummer. While The Boss and The Thin White Duke hung out and chatted between takes for quite some time, Springsteen never got to hear Bowie's version of "Saint," as Bowie felt it still needed more work. The track remained unreleased until 1989, when it first was released on Bowie's Sound + Vision box set.

Bowie's version also appeared on the 1997 benefit tribute CD One Step Up/Two Steps Back: The Songs of Bruce Springsteen, where Bowie recalled his 1974 meeting with Springsteen in his witty liner notes: "Springsteen came down to hear what we were doing with his stuff. He was very shy. I remember sitting in the corridor with him, talking about his lifestyle, which was very Dylanesque — you know, moving from town to town with a guitar on his back, all that kind of thing. Anyway, he didn't like what we were doing, I remember that. At least, he didn't express much enthusiasm. I guess he must have thought it was all kind of odd. I was in another universe at the time. I've got this extraordinarily strange photograph of us all — I look like I'm made out of wax."

And speaking of Bowie's famously sly wit, four decades after seeing his first Springsteen show and recording his first Springsteen cover, his The Next Day Extra EP featured the song "Born in a UFO" and a rather familiar-sounding chorus. For old times' sake, Major Tom floated by E Street one more time.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: January 16, 2016 20:05

So what song should Mick sing if he is going to perform?

I can see Diamond Dogs go down great, Rebel Rebel a close second...

Sucks to think like this, but hey, it's better than feeling sad...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 16, 2016 20:26

My choice for/if Mick would be a solo Dancing in the Streets...

"It's as though we lost something elemental, like a color. #RIP Bowie"- Carrie Brownstein

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 16, 2016 22:50

Let's Spend The Night Together & Dancing in The Streets

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:06

I need a tix of course

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: January 17, 2016 03:47

The date seems to play nice with the end of the SA tour.

Dancing in the streets and a Bowie song seem like the right choice.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 17, 2016 03:51

exilestones
Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney 'to play David Bowie memorial concert in New York'
16:29, 13 JAN 2016 UPDATED 17:26, 13 JAN 2016
BY ALISTAIR MCGEORGE
The two legendary musicians are expected to lead the way at The Music of David Bowie at Carnegie Hall in March

Mick Jagger and David Bowie, with Paul McCartney on left, performing on stage at The Prince's Trust 10th Birthday Party at Wembley Arena, London, United Kingdom on 20th June 1986

David Bowie will be honoured with a tribute concert in New York later this year, with some legendary musicians set to take to the stage.

Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Mick Jagger - pictured above with the iconic performer in 1986 at the Prince's Trust 10th Birthday Party - are amongst those expected to remember the star.

The event - named The Music of David Bowie - was already set to take place at Carnegie Hall before the singer died on Monday, but following his passing, the 31st March event will now be a memorial show.

According to the Daily Star, The Beatles and Rolling Stones legends are expected to join the likes of Sir Elton John as part of the line-up.

Meanwhile, a statement on the event's website reads: "The unexpected death of David Bowie has turned this tribute, which we have worked on for the past 7 months, into a memorial concert...

"This year's concert will certainly be remembered as a poignant celebration of his music by his friends, peers, and fans.

"We are deeply saddened by the news. The timing of our public on-sale date is bizarre in its timing and the show is taking on many more emotions. RIP David and may God's love be with you."

A message from his official account read: "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer.

"While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."

He passed away just three days after releasing his 25th studio album, keeping his 18-month battle with cancer so private that even close friends weren't aware of his struggle.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Mick had great touringhair in 1986. Why didn't they tour after DIRTY WORK?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 17, 2016 04:10

toomuchforme
I need a tix of course

Good luck with that.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 17, 2016 18:31

David Bowie – Playboy Magazine
[www.theuncool.com]

Interviewed by Cameron Crow. Bowie goes on length. Forthright about his bisexuality. From 1975.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 17, 2016 19:18

Bruce did a tribute to Bowie. great!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 17, 2016 21:01

Interesting reading articles on Bowie, concerning his life in NYC.
Far from being reclusive, he led an active life venturing out and visiting many cultural outlets alongside eating out, walking the streets etc.
Contrast to Keith's recent comment in a radio interview when he said the downside to being a celeb. was not being able to go to the cinema (for example) without being hassled.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 17, 2016 21:08

Hello,

As Columbo would have had it...just one more thing:

[www.theguardian.com]

"He came to our house with Mick Jagger one time and that was @#$%& awesome. They showed up in the evening: the doorbell rang and it was Bowie and Jagger. I got to smoke a joint with Mick – that was pretty great."

Worth reading...honest!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 17, 2016 22:02

Rebel Rebel is seemingly a popular tribute. If the Stones should decide to pay homage by performing a cover, something different would be a preference.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 17, 2016 23:15

Bowie Hits No. 1, a First

[mobile.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 17, 2016 23:36

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 18 January 2016

ROCKMAN

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 23:35 by Rockman.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 18, 2016 00:03

Picture credit to Lisa Lew whose husband took it to Brixton today as a tribute.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 18, 2016 04:13

Really Rockman? WTF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 04:14 by mgguy.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 18, 2016 04:49

...there's a hit piece in R. Murdoch's NY Post today...unfortunate.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: January 18, 2016 05:07

so very sweet-David and Iman

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 18, 2016 05:11

Herald Sun -- 18 January 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2016 07:04

mgguy
Really Rockman? WTF?

that article...a valid opinion that i don't happen to agree with, whose timing is tacky imho.

with that said, his criticism of Bowie 'borrowing' ideas and using great artists to achieve success was actually his strength, so from that perspective, the guy just doesn't even get it...besides you could make the same criticism of the stones and just about anyone else.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2016 11:12

... If the London Times did indeed say Bowie was the greatest pop icon of all time, that was silly -
but that's a mighty mean-spirited article to publish when people are grieving.

Love and light to David, and thanks and praises

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 18, 2016 14:03

I'm thinking that Bowie's back catalogue shouldn't be tinkered with; just enjoy the albums as they are, and legitimately release Toy.

I don't want Bowie to become another Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jeff Buckley, wherein the label plumbs the depths. The label should follow the example of someone like Warren Zevon, whose catalogue has remained what it was, without bonus tracks etc.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home