Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: January 16, 2016 16:48

Thank you for the very nice pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-16 16:48 by swaymusik.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 16, 2016 17:50

georgelicks
NICOS
I just noticed that below two records only were 4 weeks in charts, did they sell that bad back then?

Aladdin Sane
David Bowie
RE-ENTRY | 4 WEEKS IN CHART [EMI]

Low
David Bowie
RE-ENTRY | 4 WEEKS IN CHART

I don't know why but the total weeks on chart on the OOC site are wrong for many albums, I think that they count the weeks on chart since 1994.

Aladdin Sane was #1 in the UK for 5 weeks and spent 75 weeks on the Top 100 from 1973 to 2016.

Low reached #2 and spent 25 weeks on the Top 100 so far.

I was just thinking......maybe they took the weeks of the RE-ENTRY of rereleased versions............

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 16, 2016 20:01

Here's a great show from 1978, from the Beat Club in Germany: [www.youtube.com]
Fantastic band! Adrian Belew on guitar.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2016 20:30

kowalski
Recommended if you're in the mood for a different sight on Bowie's music :

The Occult Universe of David Bowie and the Meaning of "Blackstar"

fascinating read, thanks kowalski.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 16, 2016 20:43

Tribute by the carillon player of the Domtoren in Utrecht (70 min.)

[m.youtube.com]

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 16, 2016 21:31

Mick Jagger comments on his friendship with David Bowie during the time they spent together in New York in the mid 70s.

[www.etonline.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-16 22:40 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 16, 2016 21:47

watching Best Of Bowie double dvd of his videos up to 2002...what a collection.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 16, 2016 21:50

TornAndFried
Mick Jagger comments (rather flippantly, I might add) on his friendship with David Bowie during the time they spent together in New York in the mid 70s.

[www.etonline.com]

*James Jagger words here are intelligent, thoughtful, more depth than what Mick expressed, but maybe it hits too deep for Mick- thanks for posting.

Date: January 16, 2016 22:32

35love
TornAndFried
Mick Jagger comments (rather flippantly, I might add) on his friendship with David Bowie during the time they spent together in New York in the mid 70s.

[www.etonline.com]

*James Jagger words here are intelligent, thoughtful, more depth than what Mick expressed, but maybe it hits too deep for Mick- thanks for posting.

i agree...leave the man alone. he does not wear his heart on his sleeve as we've witnessed many times before. doesn't mean he isn't feeling hurt...who are we to judge.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 16, 2016 22:41

TornAndFried

[www.etonline.com]

Not flippantly, I rather think he try to cover his emotions....((and as far as I know Mick never show his emotions in public (not sure he does is it privately))

Date: January 16, 2016 23:08

interesting bit from Angie Bowie a couple of years ago, after the release of The Next Day...a bit harsh on the criticism, but spot on, on one observation:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 16, 2016 23:57

LongBeachArena72
Lovely thread. Thanks to all of you. I'm having a hard time; thoughts like these help.

Here's an attempt to describe what David Bowie meant to me:

"Something happened on the day he died ..."

[mikekiley.com]

Best to all,

Mike

Very Nice Mike
"I never understood, really, why people got upset over the deaths of famous people they had never met."

I agree with this. I could say the same but Bowie belong so much to our world since we are born.
Since this monday it is very difficult. And I was not prepared to this. Monday was full of tears. Now when I listen to Starman or the Nina Simone Wild is the Wind tears could come very easily.
I even felt necessary to send a message to Duncan today.

The shock is due to this absence since 2004 then the records out meaning he was again in a creative process. And dying at this right moment is something we were not prepared to. And to achieve this He chose the cremation like a definitive disappearing. No grave to "meet" him again. No words at all no interviews.
this is the SILENCE. Even if we have Blackstar 'I'm in heaven'. Yes man. But not us.
We are lost.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: January 17, 2016 01:06

Interesting essay by music critic Bill Wyman. The story about Bowie and Lou Reed fighting in a restaurant is intriguing. (I wonder what Bowie said to set him off?)

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:18

LongBeachArena72
Lovely thread. Thanks to all of you. I'm having a hard time; thoughts like these help.

[mikekiley.com]

Best to all,

Mike

You are a lovely writer Mike, thanks for sharing. Hope you're feeling better now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 02:34 by latebloomer.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:33

toomuchforme
LongBeachArena72

[mikekiley.com]

Best to all,

Mike

Very Nice Mike
"I never understood, really, why people got upset over the deaths of famous people they had never met."

I agree with this. I could say the same but Bowie belong so much to our world since we are born.
Since this monday it is very difficult. And I was not prepared to this. Monday was full of tears. Now when I listen to Starman or the Nina Simone Wild is the Wind tears could come very easily.
I even felt necessary to send a message to Duncan today.

The shock is due to this absence since 2004 then the records out meaning he was again in a creative process. And dying at this right moment is something we were not prepared to. And to achieve this He chose the cremation like a definitive disappearing. No grave to "meet" him again. No words at all no interviews.
this is the SILENCE. Even if we have Blackstar 'I'm in heaven'. Yes man. But not us.
We are lost.

Yes, we are lost, in a sense, toomuch. Thanks for reading my piece. I appreciate your words.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:33

latebloomer
LongBeachArena72

[mikekiley.com]

Best to all,

Mike

You are a lovely writer Mike, thanks for sharing. Hope your feeling better now.

Thanks, bloomer—you are very kind.

Date: January 17, 2016 01:59

David Bowie's list of his 100 favorite books. Very eclectic choices.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 04:34 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 17, 2016 02:29

This afternoon Arcade Fire and Preservation Hall Jazz Band held a second line parade in honor of David Bowie. Joined by hundreds of fans, many of who came dressed in their best Bowie outfits, the two bands marched through the streets of New Orleans performing his music.

[consequenceofsound.net]

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 17, 2016 02:45

TornAndFried
Interesting essay by music critic Bill Wyman. The story about Bowie and Lou Reed fighting in a restaurant is intriguing. (I wonder what Bowie said to set him off?)

[www.vulture.com]

Somewhere or other I read that Lou wanted David to work with him again in the studio and David said he wouldn't do that until Lou got it together regarding his drug use.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 17, 2016 02:48

Cristiano Radtke
This afternoon Arcade Fire and Preservation Hall Jazz Band held a second line parade in honor of David Bowie. Joined by hundreds of fans, many of who came dressed in their best Bowie outfits, the two bands marched through the streets of New Orleans performing his music.

[consequenceofsound.net]

How fabulous.

Date: January 17, 2016 04:37

rebelrebel
TornAndFried

[www.vulture.com]

Somewhere or other I read that Lou wanted David to work with him again in the studio and David said he wouldn't do that until Lou got it together regarding his drug use.

I assumed it had something to do with Lou Reed's drug problems. Bowie probably called him an addict or a junkie which upset him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 04:38 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 17, 2016 04:40

Interesting article about the 'David Bowie Is' exhibition which opened in London several years ago and is now at a museum in Groennigen in Holland.

[www.culture24.org.uk]

Date: January 17, 2016 11:06

Short but interesting essay David Bowie wrote about his relationship with New York City in 2003. From 'The New Yorker' magazine.

[www.vulture.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 11:35 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2016 11:35

I'm wondering (& hoping) if there is some sort of memoir going to come out. Given that he was ill for an extended period, he had time to write or put some stuff on tape. That is a book I would read!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 17, 2016 12:20

Hello,

Like many fans I find it a bit hard to accept that the man has passed on...one thing that does make it easier when I think of him and his effect is his sense of humour and how surprisingly grounded he was...at least as much as it was possible in his position and after his experiences.

Anyway, enough of my waffle- I saw this online today and it made me smile. I hope that it does the same for you!

And I remember watching this clip the first time around...he was having a bit of fun, hah-hah!

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 17, 2016 13:29

50 years before...

Retronaut

HMN

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 17, 2016 13:35

SimonN
Hello,

Like many fans I find it a bit hard to accept that the man has passed on...one thing that does make it easier when I think of him and his effect is his sense of humour and how surprisingly grounded he was...at least as much as it was possible in his position and after his experiences.

Anyway, enough of my waffle- I saw this online today and it made me smile. I hope that it does the same for you!

And I remember watching this clip the first time around...he was having a bit of fun, hah-hah!

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

I love this. No geat artist without soms sense of self-deprecation.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: January 17, 2016 14:36

deleted due to error

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 15:22 by Plink.

Posted by: Magicandloss ()
Date: January 17, 2016 15:07

Sorry but I don't understand your post... Valentine's day from Black Star? Wh-wh-whaaaaat? Can somebody explain????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 15:24 by Magicandloss.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 17, 2016 15:18

TornAndFried
Short but interesting essay David Bowie wrote about his relationship with New York City in 2003. From 'The New Yorker' magazine.

[www.vulture.com]

thanks all for the links and stories.

Thank you for this one (of course the pic is not from 70 as said but rather 83)

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home