Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: January 11, 2016 18:03

It's a sad day. One of my childhood heroes has left us, but his music will live on.

Tonight I'll raise a glass for Ziggy, The Thin White Duke, Mr. Lawrence, Bowie and Robert Jones.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: January 11, 2016 18:08

I saw him on stage in Nice on July 17th 1987 during his Glass Spider Tour.
It was terrific and incredible.
R.I.P.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 11, 2016 18:20

Utterly shaken by his death and deeply moved.

May you rest in peace David Bowie. Your music means a lot to me.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 11, 2016 18:32

I just can't get Slip Away (Uncle Floyd) out of my head today.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 11, 2016 18:40

I was completely unaware that Bowie was suffering with cancer. How sad indeed. What a creative guy Bowie was, and he always did things his way, and followed his muse. His body of work musically speaks for itself.

A very, very, sad day.

Re: Love and Light
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:07

latebloomer
I'll tell you something, it takes some major cajones to approach death this way. What an amazing, generous gift to his fans. He was without peer.

David Bowie's last release, Lazarus, was 'parting gift' for fans in carefully planned finale
The producer of Blackstar confirms David Bowie had planned his poignant final message, and videos and lyrics show how he approached his death

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Something happened on the day he died

Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside

Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried

(I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar)

You're not kidding! What an utterly extraordinary way to say goodbye to his fans. To listen to him singing his heart out on this new release and imagine what it must have cost him is achingly poignant. And let's not forget that he achieved his lifelong dream of writing a musical since his diagnosis too.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:11

Thanks, BV, for making this thread sticky. That means a lot to me.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:13

Although not huge Bowie fan he's a giant in pop/rock history and especially British rock history.

RIP David.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:13

a true rock star on stage and on recordings. A visionary artist and an icon who did things in his own way. heard Ziggy on the radio driving to work and the DJ then came on with the shocking sad news.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:17

rebelrebel

+1. Agreed. There's always going to be some great musician RIPs, but some deserve an IORR community sticky thread and I appreciate that this is one. Thanks BV.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:18

winter
rebelrebel

+1. Agreed. There's always going to be some great musician RIPs, but some deserve an IORR community sticky thread and I appreciate that this is one. Thanks BV.

thumbs up

Re: Love and Light
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:19

rebelrebel
latebloomer
I'll tell you something, it takes some major cajones to approach death this way. What an amazing, generous gift to his fans. He was without peer.

David Bowie's last release, Lazarus, was 'parting gift' for fans in carefully planned finale
The producer of Blackstar confirms David Bowie had planned his poignant final message, and videos and lyrics show how he approached his death

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Something happened on the day he died

Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside

Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried

(I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar)

You're not kidding! What an utterly extraordinary way to say goodbye to his fans. To listen to him singing his heart out on this new release and imagine what it must have cost him is achingly poignant. And let's not forget that he achieved his lifelong dream of writing a musical since his diagnosis too.

C'mon it's David Bowie..................................

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:21

3DTeafoe
And you gave me a ticket to the exhibit too, Andee, for which I am forever grateful.

So glad you got to see it, 3DT!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:25

Just yesterday I was in Rochester. Today I saw this online, I never heard of it until now:

Here is a link that the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle posted today with a look back at the event in March of 1976. Just one day after I saw him perform in Buffalo at my very first concert ever. I would have put it in the Bowie thread but it has been closed for some reason.

[David Bowie arrest in Rochester]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:31

David Bowie—and trivia—in my hometown: a friend's friend invited her dancer friend to lunch at her mom's house. This dancer was dancing in David Bowie's tour and brought Bowie to this lunch (south of L.A.). During lunch Bowie asked the mother, "Might I please have a kitchen tissue?" The mother thought, "What's a kitchen tissue?" So she brought Bowie a paper towel in which Bowie blew his nose. The mother thought, "Oh, kitchen tissue must be Brit-speak for Kleenex. Oops."

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:35

Title5Take1
So she brought Bowie a paper towel in which Bowie blew his nose. The mother
thought, "Oh, kitchen tissue must be Brit-speak for Kleenex. Oops."

I bet she kept it grinning smiley

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:39

Sad news....very sad
RIP Mr Jones

Date: January 11, 2016 19:40

"David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work. We had so many good times together. He was my friend, I will never forget him."

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:43

Bowie is an artist I much admired; thought struggled to truly connect with. I often wanted to be the 'huge fan', but never purchased more than the 3-CD Platinum Collection. This evening, I think I'll start with Hunky Dory smiling smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:51

Having been in one of David's movies as an extra, my condolences.

[www.mirror.co.uk] Talks about the fast life some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 19:55 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2016 19:57

Cristiano Radtke
"David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work. We had so many good times together. He was my friend, I will never forget him."

[www.facebook.com]

Yup Bowie was Jagger's single most influence outside of his own bandmates. Bowie was also Keith's personal nigthmare : he was openly bisexual, he built an androgynous stage character and he chased musical trends and he made his own.

Triple "yuck" in Keith's (very hetero-centered) book.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2016 20:03

Tribute concert (likely one of many) planned for Carnegie Hall on March 31st.

Date: January 11, 2016 20:05

A friend of mine who lives in Utrecht has just sent me this video, which shows a church in Utrecht with the bells playing Space Oddity.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: January 11, 2016 20:10

Farewell Mr. Bowie.Thanks for all this great music.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2016 20:34

In 2013, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield was commander of the Internatioanl Space Station. He developed an extraordinary social media presence during this period. He's an avid musician and recorded a version of Scpace Oddity from the ISS. A copy of course made its way to David Bowie. Below are clips of the song, as well as an interview Chris did today with the CBC in which he discussed the importance of Bowie to him, and what Bowie may have been thinking about space when he recorded it originally.

[m.youtube.com]

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 11, 2016 20:35

Cristiano Radtke
winter
rebelrebel

thumbs up

Yes, thank you BV. Bowie was very important to me. Equal footing with the Stones.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 11, 2016 20:42

I was never a fan, but listening today to the many iconic songs he created (and many more that I'd forgotten were his) I know that we've lost one of the truly great ones, far too soon.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 11, 2016 21:05

RIP Mr Bowie - you enhanced our lives right to your last days - Thank-you

Watching the video for Lazarus - all I can say is mesmerizing...

Date: January 11, 2016 21:06

"Woke up to the awful news that my lovely friend David Bowie passed away. I am so deeply sad, but he just completed a radical and audacious new album, and that is a great thing. Personally I am grateful to him for doing it.

For those who were his fans he was a charismatic and exotic creature and still gloriously beautiful even as he approached 70. But face to face he was funny, clever, well-read, excited by the arts, and really good company.

In a Japanese restaurant we once ate tiny live crabs sent over to our table by a businessman fan. David said we must try, out of courtesy. I wouldn’t have done it with anyone else on the planet. Delicious, of course.

He was simply a joy to be around, so good at making everyone feel at ease. I’m sorry to hear it was cancer that got him. I knew he had been ill for several years but didn’t know the details. My thoughts now go to his family and close ones, and to so many of his fans who will be beyond distraught today. We have lost a monumental figurehead of the British arts scene. We have also lost a wonderful clown whose combined sense of mischief and creativity delightedly touched our hearts. David Bowie was my Salvador Dali. He was also one facet of my perfect Ace Face."

Pete Townshend, 11 January 2016

[thewho.com]

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 21:07

terrible news, only a few days ago i was wondering what age david was, thought we might see him around a few years more, didnt realize how ill he was.

wonderful musician and performer.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home