Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Potted Shrimp(s) - Stephen Stills
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2016 14:35

While listening to the first Manassas album (highly recommended by the way) I suddenly realized: that's Stephen Stills playing the lead guitar on Potted Shrimp(s)! I have always find the wah lead guitar very much unlike Taylor and much more like a pumped up Keith, but listen to 'The Treasure (take 1)' for example -the wah lead guitar is totally the same sound, phrasing and melodies as the lead in Potted Shrimp(s).

Mathijs

Re: Potted Shrimp(s) - Stephen Stills
Date: January 6, 2016 19:30

I haven't really been giving that a lot of thought, but when re-visiting it it's clear that it isn't Keith, nor Taylor, who's playing the lead guitar.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 19:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:59

wow! just listened to the treasure.your right the tone,phrasing spot on.amazing, after all these years of listening to potted shrimp i just assumed it was taylor.great catch!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2016 01:18

I think your right Mathijs.........when you mentioned Stephen Still I thought of CSN&Y, not sure which song..... but there is one that sounds even more similar to the sound of the wah wah of Potted Shrimp....I just checked out Deja Vu but I guess it's on an other record............

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 7, 2016 01:22

Stephen Stills was quite around in those days.
Don't know much about him.
Was he inventive?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2016 07:06

Now listen to Buffalo Springfield's "Mr. Soul."

Date: January 7, 2016 07:51

Blueranger
Stephen Stills was quite around in those days.
Don't know much about him.
Was he inventive?

he was pretty inventive for that time. he kinda mixed bluegrass and country in his rock guitar solos

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 07:57

Mathijs
While listening to the first Manassas album (highly recommended by the way)

Mathijs

On your recommendation I listened to a few songs. There's obvious talent there but it sounds relentlessly like CS&N...whom I've never cared for.

On a humorous note, Bill Wyman received a writing credit on that album.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 7, 2016 15:02

Yup spot on. Maybe this is a Stills composition .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 15:51 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: January 7, 2016 15:09

Redhotcarpet
Yup spöt on. Maybe this is a Stills composition .

Using the Stones as his backing band to rehearse his own songs? He would have liked that smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:08

Mathijs
While listening to the first Manassas album (highly recommended by the way) I suddenly realized: that's Stephen Stills playing the lead guitar on Potted Shrimp(s)! I have always find the wah lead guitar very much unlike Taylor and much more like a pumped up Keith, but listen to 'The Treasure (take 1)' for example -the wah lead guitar is totally the same sound, phrasing and melodies as the lead in Potted Shrimp(s).

Mathijs

Nope...to me its Taylor..sorry

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:18

Potted Shrimp sounds a lot like Clapton's Let It Rain to me.

Date: January 7, 2016 16:19

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

The phrasing is to spotty to be Taylor, imo.

Date: January 7, 2016 16:22

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

Dunno..but i feel Taylor here.
Dont know why stephen stills name is brought up..unless someone knows for sure???
Imo its Taylor
Dont forget..the great man Mathijs has been wrong before!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 16:24 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: January 7, 2016 16:28

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

Dont know why stephen stills name is brought up..unless someone knows for sure???
Imo its Taylor

Maybe it's connected to this somehow?

Date: January 7, 2016 16:42

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

Imo its Taylor

Perhaps..but doesnt really tell us much other than where are the tapes from rehearsals for the 69 tour!!!??

Dont forget the great man didnt believe it was Taylor on plunder...haha...our ears can be a problem...or maybe the information we get???

Date: January 7, 2016 16:49

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

Imo its Taylor

Perhaps..but doesnt really tell us much other than where are the tapes from rehearsals for the 69 tour!!!??

Dont forget the great man didnt believe it was Taylor on plunder...haha...our ears can be a problem...or maybe the information we get???

It could be Taylor, of course. And he has played stuff that doesn't sound like him before. I Could Have Stood You Up springs to mind.

I dunno..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 7, 2016 19:16

NICOS
I think your right Mathijs.........when you mentioned Stephen Still I thought of CSN&Y, not sure which song..... but there is one that sounds even more similar to the sound of the wah wah of Potted Shrimp....I just checked out Deja Vu but I guess it's on an other record............

that wah guitar on 'Potted Shrimp' surely is Stills .. sounds a lot like 'Carry On', the CS&N song..

Manassas was a cool band.

definitely Stephen Stills ..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 7, 2016 21:04

speaking of Manassas...

from Wikipedia-

Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, a friend of both Hillman and Stills who visited Criteria during the sessions, was an early fan of the band, at one point expressing an interest in joining

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2016 22:51

duke richardson
NICOS

that wah guitar on 'Potted Shrimp' surely is Stills .. sounds a lot like 'Carry On', the CS&N song..

Manassas was a cool band.

[www.youtube.com]

definitely Stephen Stills ..

Yes that's the one "Carry On" I think I went to quickly going through the record and missed the wha wha solo....

[youtu.be]

Date: January 8, 2016 00:24

It's not Taylor and it is not Keith. The song itself doesnt sound like the Stones - it is - but it sounds like a mash-up with Stills.

Date: January 8, 2016 00:27

I always wondered about the riff. Keith plays it surely but it really sounds like a different genre. Maybe it's a piano based riff. Or not. Maybe they tried to cowrite songs with Stills.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 8, 2016 06:37

ChrisL
Potted Shrimp sounds a lot like Clapton's Let It Rain to me.

Ummm......no

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:06

I'm with Mathijs on this one. It never occurred to me before -- I always assumed per default that it was Taylor -- but I think it definitely sounds like Stills. And I'm a guitar player myself, as well as being a fan of both Stones/Taylor and CSNY since many years (not bragging, just motivatin'). Sounds like he plays a Marshall Plexi on there, quite similar to the lead guitar he played on the recently released CSNY '74 tour box.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:13

Interesting, that could also explain why they didn't use it for the Exile box unlike the other tracks that were leaked with it originally on the old Trident LP.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 8, 2016 14:15

gotdablouse
Interesting, that could also explain why they didn't use it for the Exile box unlike the other tracks that were leaked with it originally on the old Trident LP.

I don't know ... there doesn't seem to be any real logic to the song selection on the Exile Deluxe release.

Date: January 8, 2016 14:51

I just happened to read the Wikipedia page on Metamorphosis (the outtakes album from 1975) and it says Stephen Stills played guitar on I'm Going Down.
[en.wikipedia.org])

Not sure why it says that, since Keith's guitar is the only one audible?

Anyway, it's another vague connection with Stills.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 8, 2016 15:36

Eleanor Rigby

Wot? Where did you get that idea from?

Somebody stated at the time it was Taylor on lead AND rhtyhm guitar, and that I found rediculous as it clearly was Taylor on lead and Richards on rhtyhm. At the time people also thought Taylor's parts where from '72, and I made the case it sounded way too modern to be vintage. And I also thought and still think it was a bad cut and paste job.

Mathijs

Date: January 8, 2016 15:51

Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby

Somebody stated at the time it was Taylor on lead AND rhtyhm guitar, and that I found rediculous as it clearly was Taylor on lead and Richards on rhtyhm. At the time people also thought Taylor's parts where from '72, and I made the case it sounded way too modern to be vintage. And I also thought and still think it was a bad cut and paste job.

Mathijs

As I remember it we discussed whether the Taylor sound could be a 1973 sound, but concluded on his sound being to clean and modern to be vintage Taylor.

I don't know what Eleanor Rigby refers to when he says you doubted it was Taylor, as I can't recall that at all.

Date: January 8, 2016 16:00

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

As I remember it we discussed whether the Taylor sound could be a 1973 sound, but concluded on his sound being to clean and modern to be vintage Taylor.

I don't know what Eleanor Rigby refers to when he says you doubted it was Taylor, as I can't recall that at all.

My recollection is that Mathijs thought Taylor's parts on Plundered where from circa '71. But I probably remember wrong.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home